Is Linux a Unix?

Is Linux a Unix?

Other urls found in this thread:

ukuug.org/newsletter/linux-newsletter/linux@uk21/posix.shtml
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/echo.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, Linus didn't buy that UNIX certificate yet. I'd love it if he did though.

linux is a bastardized unix

It imitates Unix, so technically it is Unix-like. On high level, i.e. software it barely diffs from Unix, but on so called "bare metal" level (hardware drivers) are the greatest differences. Disclaimer: not an engineer here, just read it in some book.

You mean GNU/Linux.

No, he doesn't

did anyone say UNIX?

on its own it shares absolutely dick with "real" Unix other than the similar way you interact with it

so no

It's Unix-like

Gnu's Not Unix.

No it's a kernel duh.

What's a lunix?

This. It's easier to explain when the proper name is used, since GNU's Not Unix

The kernel source code has no heritage from the ATT origin, and purposefully so. Hence, it is not considered "UNIX" and is not encumbered with its commercial license.

Commercial "flavors" like Solaris and HP-UX are descendants of the original ATT code, and are considered UNIX.

no, because it does not conform fully to POSIX sandards

POSIX is just a meme though. Its random number API for instance is dogshit.

POSIX is the Unix standard. So...

There is a licensing issue: no one pays for Linux to be verified POSIX compliant, so it's not a UNIX.

But it passes every POSIX compliance test as far as I know, so take that for what it's worth.

OSX is a UNIX because they pay for the verification and licensing (and pass). It's worth noting, the Unix portion of OSX is not derived from the original at&t Unix codebase, but from BSD.

I'm pretty sure there are major players out there that are still derived from the actual at&t codebase still, but other than AIX, none spring to mind. HPux, Solaris and irix have been abandoned. I think.

Troll harder. Back to /b retard.

>it passes every POSIX compliance test
This is absolutely not true

Which does it fail? I haven't read up about it for some time, but was living under the assumption this was true.

ukuug.org/newsletter/linux-newsletter/linux@uk21/posix.shtml

Here's the most obvious one
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/echo.html

>tfw Linux doesn't stand for Linux is not unix

To be fair, you can switch the shell and userland binaries. But good point.

You can switch anything. Distros won't be POSIX certified until they actually do that though.

GNU /= Linux.

Nobody said it was you retard.
Linux alone is not an operating system unto itself that can qualify for POSIX certification. We're talking about the entire GNU/Linux operating system

which only means that the question whether "Linux" is UNIX compliant is ill-posed, all I'm saying. I'm sorry, I know everyone is sick and tired of being bothered with this technicality which honestly bears no practical relevance.

On the other hand, from a GNUser's perspective, full POSIX compliance may be considered exactly that, an ultimately irrelevant technicality.

It's to Unix what ReactOS is to Windows, basically.

>XNU
>X is Not Unix

What defines an operating system as UNIX isn't whether or not it has AT&T code in it.

>GNU (GNU not UNIX)
>Linux (LinusUNIX)

What do you think?

no Linux is its own thing and doesnt share any code with unix

>LINUX
>Linux Is Not UniX

LINUX = Linux Is Not UniX

GUHNOOS NOT LINUCKS

UNIX has nothing to do with heritage, that's Unix. There are multiple UNIX certified Linux OSs

No, it's better.

Yes*

Guys...I don't understand what POSIX is and I'm sorry for that, but I would like one of you to explain it to me. Is there a Windows equivalent that would help me understand?

google

but doesn't that give them more freedom? it doesn't have to conform strictly to a standard.(Although sticking to a standard has its benefits too)

no its not. Linux implements POSIX to a certain degree, but thats about it

It's basically a "recipe" and a list of specifications an OS must adhere to in order to be declared POSIX compliant. OS X is fully compliant with it, OpenBSD, Linux and Cygwin aren't.

Windows has made some attempts at being POSIX compliant.
That's why the hosts file is where it is at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.