/hpg/ - Headphone general

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5qi1l6/new_toys_for_the_lunar_new_year/
mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphones/fostex-t50rp-mk-iii-version-1/
amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7BK-SonicPro-High-Resolution-Headphones/dp/B00PEU9CFA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448206179&sr=1-1&keywords=msr7&linkCode=sl1&tag=zeos-20&linkId=98f2f155096145e5f56be771fe9d1cdc
dr.loudness-war.info/
amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-Gun-Metal-Resolution-Headphone/dp/B00OTADUJA
amazon.com/dp/B00PEUBIKM/ref=twister_B00W5QO6HU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/Samson-SR950-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B00CBPJLFW
amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM
amazon.com/AKG-3280H00100-K-553-Pro/dp/B00X3MT7F6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bought and paid for modi multibit and magni 2 uber from schiit, and they've sent me the modi uber and the standard magni 2....

>buy american they said
>more honest and reputable

i'm pretty pissed off. I know mistakes can happen but it's pretty suspect that they've sent me the cheaper version of both the DAC and the Amp?
I've sent an email to both their contact address.

What does /g think of the Monoprice 8323?

Thinking about grabbing a pair for closed gaming and the detachable cable.

>Budget
200$
>Location
USA
>Source
Desktop/Phone
>Type of headphone
Any
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Long Periods
>Sound signature
Bright or neutral
>Past headphones
Chink stuff

I have 3000 Good Boy Points (30USD for you normies). What are the best earbuds I can buy to listen to my hipster MP3 files from my 12 year old ipod "classic"?

Has anyone replaced the pads on akg 240 headphones? I was thinking about buying some velor beyerdynamic ones that are supposed to fit, but does it change the sound quality?

ATH R70x a good upgrade over the ATH 50x?

>Budget
50€
>Location
Germany
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
3-4 hours
>Past headphones
Sennheiser PC 320 Gaming Headset

Don't really now where to ask, so i ask here. I need 2.0 speakers for my desktop. Budget is 150€, meaning EU.
It's important that they are not sensitive to the location of the speakers since my desk is next to the wall and so will be the speakers and that they do not need (pre) amp of any kind.
In terms of sound, i like the DT880, X2's, some Boarsemen chinkos and i do NOT like Bose (bass is too bloated imho).
I just want something to listen music during work, mostly rock, classical and some laid back electronical stuff and sometimes a movie, no gaming.
Thanks for the help in advance.

You're really out there killing it pham

> tfw want to listen to my brand new iems but can't
we're almost through boys
only 36 hours of burn in left

>still falling for the burn in meme.

>burn in
Isn't this just a meme?

maybe

stop wasting your time

Usually the people that deny burn in are the same kind of people that can't afford gear that benefits from it. There's easily 12k+ sitting in my burn in station right now.
Whatever shitty 100$ senns Sup Forums uses will sound like shit even after 1000 hours of burn in. Of course Sup Forums doesn't believe in it because they're too poor to experience it.

More like some people actually understand the physics side of things. Do you have sources for any of that shit?

Ok but do you have some actual proof of that? To me it seems like the burn in discussion is the same retarded shit that is Nvidia vs Intel vs AMD vs >muh dik here on Sup Forums.

>Burning in IEMs with noise or idle play instead of enjoying the change while listening over time

I will never understand this. What pair of Jomo's are those, btw?

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5qi1l6/new_toys_for_the_lunar_new_year/

Yeah go farm upvotes there with your gear photos. Some tips for BTFOing audio people online:

1. Mention how much you spent on that(must be in thousands otherwise equally clueless people won't be impressed)
2. Tell others who disagree that they are poor or at least impy so
3. Use "you haven't heard it" as an argument when they aren't
4. Use "you have shit hearing" as an argument when they have
5. Weasel out from explaining how any of this crap...

>"These impressions are extremely preliminary; both players have barely anywhere near the recommended amount of burn in on them (about 3 hours on the DX200 and 25 hours on the WM1Z, and yes I do hear differences with previous DAPs being burnt in; iBasso even includes a burn in cable with the DX200). Listening done with a Lime Ears Aether and a PWAudio 1960s 4 wire cable, directly into the 2.5mm jack of the DX200 and to the 4.4mm jack of the WM1Z via a balanced adaptor."

...makes any sense whatsoever beyond on how you subjectively think they sound in a non-bias controlled sighted listening test aka what you are doing now.

I have about $280.

Should I go for something like:

mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphones/fostex-t50rp-mk-iii-version-1/

Or something like the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK SonicPros?

amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7BK-SonicPro-High-Resolution-Headphones/dp/B00PEU9CFA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448206179&sr=1-1&keywords=msr7&linkCode=sl1&tag=zeos-20&linkId=98f2f155096145e5f56be771fe9d1cdc

Or would I get about the same thing from just Dt770s?

Looking mostly at gaming, with some fun music listening wanted. Have a Fiio E10k DAC.

I don't believe in burn in and I've tried it with good headphones. I believe that ear pads change shape slightly from use and that's what causes any slight change in the sound. What full size headphones do you use? hd600's are the best I've tried so far.

Are you going to defend your magic stones and floor cable risers with the same "Sup Forums is poor" argument too??

Opinions on DT 1770 Pros

Lackluster.

>got tinnitus

>Current Headphones

Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm

looking to get a closed headphone alternative of them, because I live in close quarters now, and I also can slightly hear everything going on around me.

Are the Dt 770 pro 250 ohms a good closed headphone alternative to the 990 pros? Main difference would be the soundstage I guess, but as long as the bass is nice and I don't have to worry about hearing other people talking around me, i'm fine.

Thank you!

My only experience has mattered is dealing with guitar amps which feature much larger drivers, and even then the difference isn't huge. Just use your gear and enjoy it, it'll burn in that way too.

Whats your opinion on the Philips x2? I listen to a lot of heavy metal/rock and also play vidya quite a bit. Are they good for that or is the vshaped sound signature not optimal for that sort of situation?

Thinking of upgrading from 770's but unsure

>upgrading
It really doesn't work like this. DT1770s sound different and aside from their construction, I would consider them an all around downgrade to DT770.

Who FiiO Q1 here?

Guess I'll have to try find a store somewhere that sells them to give them a listen, thanks for input

Also looking at PSB M4U 1s which I can't post a link to because fucking Sup Forums.

Do that and I highly suggest you start looking at measurements and understanding them a little. You won't have to go into purchases blind and can already rule out models and focus on ones that seem promising. There are plenty of links in the Wiki for measurement sites.

Sound magic e10

What are the comfiest pads /hpg/ has used? Sheepskin, HM5, Shure memory foam, DT pads?

Alright, lads. Help me out here.

>Budget
Up to ~170euros
>Location
Eastern Europe. European Union. Lithuania
>Source
My computer. Maybe my old ipod touch (1st gen) if they would work.
>Type of headphone
Full size
>Open or closed
Doesn't matter but closed would be preffered
>Comfort level
Maximum comfy. I probably am too deaf to notice a difference anyway. But I'm very willing to compromise.
>Sound signature
Would be nice to retain as much quality as possible. Don't care honestly, just not too much on everything
>Past headphones
Razer Megalodon headset. Got it as a gift and it held out for a veeeery long time and it finally died.
Older headsets don't matter since they were pleb-tier from the local shop for 5euros or something. Can't even remember them.

looking at two:
Audio-Technica MSR7
>supposedly very good headphones
>currently 155euros instead of 249euros, so big discount
>sturdy and comfy
>look good
>don't fold up, so take up a lot of space

Marshall monitors
>normally not worth it cause of the price but sub 90euros atm
>look very cool
>ok sound quality but worse than msr7
>fold up nicely
>sturdy and comfy

Any experiences?
Also, what about the mic? I'll probably do some gaming once in a while, chat with people so a good one could be nice. I could get a headset but I don't really know if I should since I stopped gaming for a while now.

Tell me how delusional I am and give me some tips, lads

hm5's are great but for me it's either the hd600/650 pads or the k712 gel pads. The 600 pads aren't anything special but they feel nice and it's the shape, plus the way they sit around the ear that makes them great, once the band has been stretched a little obviously. They're way too tight at first.

Do memory foam pads lose their shape after years?

I want something that will isolate noise from all the obnoxious people in my office. So sound quality isn't high priority.

>Budget
$50 - $100 (mostly soft limits)

>Location
US

>Source
Phone, sometimes PC

>Type of headphone
full-sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
3 hr+

Get the 80 ohm it has more bass

Stupid question but, if this is true dr.loudness-war.info/ does it even matter to buy a more premium headphones amps etc?

(cont) Since many are soundstage wise badly mixed instead of a dynamic sound in favor of a more loudness mix?

Is the Philips X2 a good investment if you are playing vidya at all?

How much money is too much money to spend on headphones?

>Is the Philips X2 a good investment if you are playing vidya at all?
Not for professional gameplay if footsteps matter much to you, but for fun, hell yes. They are also Vmoda Boom Mic Pro (or what it'S called) compatible.

>look up Sennheiser urbanite XL wireless because it says massive bass
>16-22khz
>$300
how did Sennheiser come this low?

I'm so fucking tired of the M50xs after nearly 3 years. I'm done with them leaving a dent in my hair and skull.

>Budget
up to 300€ if they're actually worth it
>Location
EU, Spain
>Source
Sound Blaster Z
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
I actually don't know. I've only used closed headphones up until now.
>Comfort level
High, I spend a lot of hours a day with headphones on.
>Sound signature
I don't care but I am not a bass head. The genres I usually listen to: rock, alternative rock, punk rock, pop rock, pretty much every electronic genre except dubstep, and I listen to ASMR quite a bit as well.

I rarely listen to FLACs though. I use Spotify premium most of the time with a little youtube on the side.
>Past headphones
Shitty Turtle Beach X10 like 5 years ago and the M50xs for 3 years now.

Please save me from this hell that are the M50xs

Are the Status CB-1's compatible with a boom pro?

Specs say it's a locking cable but there's are lot of differing opinions out there.

Look into the SHP9500. Probably the least clamp on a headphone I've used.

Bumping this question, thinking of getting memory foam pads but want them to last 5+ years

Thanks, is the sound quality still as good as the 990s? I figured it would, but just not have the realistic sound to it, more like a club-sound

I know the HM5 pads have a two-year warranty with them, couldn't say for other brands.

Hd600

Best budget headphones coming through.

Is that a Fidelio X2? It has some very steep competition now.

user, they're the SHP9500s.

The HM5 pads say they're memory foam, but just seem like they're stiff foam and not soft

Beyerdynamic DT 880, 32 ohm

VERY comfortable, beautiful sound signature.

HD 650 is another great contender

Quick question, why does the 32 ohm version cost almost 90€ more than the 250 ohm version?

I have the HM5 Angled Velour and flat Hybrid pads, both are comfy and plush, but have only used for 100 hours or so, so far.

Supply/demand.

Supply and demand, get the 250 ohm version if the 32 is more expensive, the differences are unbelievably marginal

Thank you.

Do you think the Sound Blaster Z, which is the source, will have enough juice to run them properly?

Why would people buy openback headphones? Why don't they just buy speakers?

Bump

Would anyone recommend these headphones for gaming/general music listening? Do they have good isolation/soundstage?

amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-Gun-Metal-Resolution-Headphone/dp/B00OTADUJA

>Why don't they just buy speakers?
>4 a.m.
>turn speakers to 80%
>neighbour wants to kill you
Does this clarify it?

Rate, post yours.

Guys pls.

...Anonymous
01/27/17(Fri)12:58:50 No.58675545
>Budget
Around 400 USD

>Location
Hungary

>Source
iPhone 7, Macbook Pro, Harman/Kardon HK3490

>Type of headphone
Full sized

>Open or closed
Preferably closed, but would choose open for additional sound quality

>Comfort level
It shouldn't hurt even over a long time

>Sound signature
As flat as possible

>Past headphones
Beats Studio 2, wired

Need low impedance for listening through phone (the iPhones have pretty decent DACs tbqh), but audiophile quality. I grew out of the beats meme.

I bough then 6 months ago, and could not be more happy. amazing headphones.

I'm thinking of getting one since my phone 3.5 is slowly dying. How is the battery life?

ZMF sheepskins if we're going by normal sized pads

Audeze pads but theyre fuckhuge.

DT 770 Pro or AT M50x?

Don't buy marshal. They're one of those skullcandy/marley/beats normie tier marketing headphone brands.

The MSR7's at that price is pretty fucking great. They're an excellent closed headphone.

What happened to Grado, why isn't there any mention ever on hpg lately.

Live in populated areas and cant blast music all night.

Speakers win over headphones for sound quality any day, but they aren't always practical.

I'm guy who needs a Toslink Optical Out to 3.5mm analog with volume control.
How cheap can I go? I wish i could just buy an adapter and get unaltered sound.
Do I really need an AMP? Will an integrated AMP do? What should I look out for?

>Need low impedance for listening through phone
Don't associate impedance with suitability for lower power devices. You need to factor in sensitivity. T50RP's are 50ohm and you won't get anywhere close to listenable level on a phone, yet HD600's at least come close at 300ohm.

>the iPhones have pretty decent DACs tbqh
DAC doesn't have any relation to what spl a headphone will get to

>DAC doesn't have any relation to what spl a headphone will get to

I know, I was just rationalizing why I want audiophile quality with an iPhone being the source.

770's any day. The ONLY reason you would want M50x is if you need portability, and even then I'd implore you to sacrifice for a wholly better headphone.

770's are miles more comfortable, and sound a fair bit better too. M50x have absolute garbage comfort without modification.

>Budget
200€ at max
>Location
Germany
>Source
Desktop, planning on getting a Schiit stack eventually
>Type of headphone
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Long Periods
>Sound signature
Dat bass
>Past headphones
Nothing to speak off, first "good" one is a DT 770 Pro

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my DT 770's, but sometimes I am just craving some bass. The neighbours downstairs have a lil kid so I can't blast music all night long without them, or rather the kid, noticing, so I usually switch to headphones. Looking for something with tons of bass and okay-ish mids and highs.

TL;DR
Have neighbours, want nigga bass, need to use headphones. What buy?

>Ohmios
That's pretty cool tbqh

Which DAC is better, the FiiO A3 or the FiiO E10k?

Feel free to recommend similarly priced DACs as well.

>want nigga bass
Get some Beats whitey by Dr. Nigger. Imho i don't know why you'd want more than DT770's..

vmoda m100 and the jvc HA-SZ2000

DT770's are already incredibly V-shaped. They have some of the best sub-bass on a closed can under $400. EQ your 770's.

Sony's MDR-XB series are fucking niggbass god tier if you want to take a look at them.

A3 isn't a DAC. Just an amp.

Get a Schiit Fulla 2 unless youre planning on upgrading in the somewhat near future. E10k does what it needs to do fine but for the extra $25 you get a fair bit more in terms of features and power. Save and go for the E10k if you just want a simple 'USB in analogue out' and dont need any of the line shit out or extra power the Fulla 2 has.

I understand I am weird, I much prefer the nigga base from my cheap-o desktop 2.1 system compared to my somewhat decent 5.1 system in the living room as well, for listening music that is, simply because of the heavy bass.

Quick search showed them to be somewhat more expensive than my current limit, but will look into them. Thanks.

those headphones are Japanese.

You need to start these threads with good American headphones. Puts hair on your chest.

Would you recommend Dt770s for first-person shooters in which hearing footsteps and their precise direction is important?

>DT770's are already incredibly V-shaped. They have some of the best sub-bass on a closed can under $400.
Too bad it's swamped by the peaky midbass. I can see how you'd miss the subbass in all the mud.

Seems you like bloated bass, Beats or Bose should something for you, other than that, no idea. Bloated bass is what i hate.

If footsteps matter you to then you're better off with Audio Technica AD series or DT990's if you want bass, too.

I think the E10k is about all I need. I'm only going to really be using this with a phone and computer at most, and the bass boost feature on the E10k is kind of nice.

Not really. Get a pair of headphones for music like 770's, and then buy a pair of Superlux 681's and slap some velour pads on them. Seriously. They image incredibly well, have great soundstage, and have the right sound sig for vidya. They're a $27 pair of headphones + $5 in pads and they're damn worth it for vidya.

Either that or just go with a good pair of ADx series headphones.

GranVela X3

Bought a very flat model, do you think I can bring back some bass by EQing?

Tried these two but I'm not feeling it. My low-end phones did a much more decent job of shaking things up. I could feel my ears shaking, and that felt nice.

Yes EQ it. In fact, one of the purposes of buying flat headphones is that you can change your EQ as your preferences change.

But when you are doing EQ, especially if your songs are loud (close to 100% volume), you need to do it by turning everything DOWN other than the bass, and then just turn up your volume knob.

>do you think I can bring back some bass by EQing?
Yes.

Though EQ can't work wonders, it'll sure get you a fair way. You may want to just buy a different headphone all together.

I have a ton of sounds near me so I was hoping to go full closed-back.

These are some headphones I was looking at:

amazon.com/dp/B00PEUBIKM/ref=twister_B00W5QO6HU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

amazon.com/Samson-SR950-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B00CBPJLFW

amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM

amazon.com/AKG-3280H00100-K-553-Pro/dp/B00X3MT7F6

My last pair was AKG K553s which were great for gaming but lacked any kind of punch in the bass to make them fun to listen to. Using backup Superlux 668Bs right now.

>showed them to be somewhat more expensive than my current limit
Darn, the jvc is $200 in America and I've seen the vmoda for $150 before. I know the creative aurvana live's are supposed to have a lot of bass, but I'm not sure if they'd be nearly as good as your 770's.