Windows 7 SP1 Appreciation / Update Thread

Who's still /fighting(((theman)))/ and running Windows 7? Get in here and post about the good 'ol days when men were men and your computer didn't try to shake your shekels.

I just got a machine up and running with a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 from an old install disk had lying around. I will be using this computer for business, and will hold potentially sensitive information, so I don't want to leave it without updates. I've got these questions:

>Which Windows updates are helpful?
>Are there any Windows updates to avoid?

Also, what are some measures concerned users can take to protect their data while running Windows 7? Are there any tools or programs that have improved your experience?

Who's a real Windows 7 oper8tor here?

Other urls found in this thread:

download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2458544/the-enhanced-mitigation-experience-toolkit
infoworld.com/article/3132377/microsoft-windows/microsoft-previews-telemetry-push-with-new-win781-patches-kb-3192403-3192404.html
elbacom.com/2009/11/25/add-or-remove-features-in-an-existing-wes-7-image/
overclock.net/t/1587577/windows-7-updates-list-descriptions-telemetry
s.put.re/2zFpKV5.webm
solmiler.deviantart.com/art/Placebo-for-Windows-7-188414149
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I use windows 7 in a VM. With no internet access.

However, with WINE 2, I might reconsider using virtual machines.

Set Windows updates to ask before downloading and installing. Install all updates except for the ones in this list. Disable CEIP, disable automatic error reporting, and that should be it. No random connections to random IP addresses except for Windows update checks and CRL updating. If you care you can set up a traffic log and prove to yourself that this is the case.

If you want W7 with updates without telemetry, spying and W10 adware, you could try WES 7. I don't know if anyone uses it here as a daily OS replacing W7, but it seems to just be W7 with customizable installation options, and it only gets security updates, no telemetry and W10 forced updates. Also it just needs a 1 time activation key which is easy to find online, no registration so you don't need shady chink cracks to make it work. I want to try it myself but I haven't heard much about user experiences with it on here.

There hasn't been forced Windows 10 upgrades for a while. The free upgrade offer has expired, and all the updates related to the upgrade are no longer available.

WES7 best Windows 7

How is this different than regular win 7 home?

Couldn't install my sound driver
gonna try installing it again with more modules

Here is the copypasta:

-Based off Windows 7
-Support ends in 2021 instead of 2020
-You can select components you want to install. Including removing IE.
-Embedded Features such as no GUI boot, RAMDisk driver, ability to be installed and booted from external HDD and write filters.
-Volume_BA channel, insert key and you are done. No activation.
-Enterprise features such as Applocker available in Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate
-Keyboard Filter* through group policy that allows you to disable keyboard keys/key combinations.
-Updates are on separate channel, does not install dedicated telemetry updates.**
**Do contain Quality Rollups though. Advice to either disable Update and use write filters:EWF(HORM)/FBWF or manually download the security only updates from windows catalog.
*Requires WEDU1.2 to download the update, and use DISM to add the package.
-Links:
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part1.exe
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part2.rar
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part3.rar
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part4.rar
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part5.rar
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part6.rar
download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/5/1B5FDE63-DA91-4A22-A320-91E002DE1326/Standard_7SP1_64bit/Standard 7 SP1 64bit IBW.part7.rar

Google "XGY72" for PID.
You can use dism /online /add-package to add features post installation, pointing to the DS folder in the install media.

I'm just too used to it. If I'm ever forced to upgrade I'll just run linux.

How can I see which ones I have installed and remove the ones I don't want? For a time I have set it on auto for some stupid fucking reason

According to support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet End of extended support is January 14, 2020 not 2021

I found this in a Lainchan Win10 security thread

EMET on Windows for security

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2458544/the-enhanced-mitigation-experience-toolkit

The last non-bootnet OS with almost no bloatware.
I blame people wanting everything for free for the shaddy new software is with privacy

Win 10 is not free

Is this really a complete non-botnet list?

I've got 199 "Important" and 13 "Optional" Updates. I've got all of the updates on the list at deselected except for KB2952664.

Any idea why I can't find it?

Reporting in.
I tried moving to win10 on my laptop and instantly regretted it.

Currently running dual boot with Debian and W7 on both my desktop and my laptop, feels good.

Only morons believe that Windows 10 are insecure while Windows 7 are secure. You can easily disable all offending services with pic related anyway, or manually. Even if we did assume that Microsoft has backdoor, it's a moronic meme to assume Windows 7 is secure because we know it had back doors long before Windows 7 was even released.

So, stop being a faggot, or run openBSD and never run any software that matters in your life.

i just dont like that they update shit on the go

Installed it again with more modules and now the sound works perfectly (you might want to update that guide image), gonna try to install my GPU driver now

>2011+6
>using third party software to make your system less botnet and more secure
ISHYGDDT

Even if it was 2019 it's a stupid idea to assume Windows 7 is an amazing idea while Windows 10 supposedly is not. We always had to tweak Windows in order to trim them from bloat, it's not like Windows 7 is suddenly Gentoo Linux all of a sudden.

Will use until I physically can't anymore, just like I did with XP.

When I use Windows 7 it seems like my spacebar acts like a return key when something is preselected. It will check/uncheck boxes, or cancel a download or click/activate an action button. It is very annoying. How do I stop this?

>It will check/uncheck boxes, or cancel a download or click/activate an action button
In my experience it's always been like this, going at least as far back as the 9x days. Don't think you can turn it off, unless there happens to be a setting for it in the group policy.

You do realize that every monthly update includes a version of DiagTrack on steroids that you can't actually disable, right? That was the entire point of creating monthly updates: you can no longer update your computer, so Windows 7 has essentially lost support if you care about privacy.*

*If you cared about privacy you'd install GNU/Linux.

Problems I have with Windows 7:

-Since I only use Windows for games, as it's pretty much the only thing it's worth using for now, some games on windowed mode run worse than on 8.1/10 (for instance, SFV)

-Window snapping to corners inexistent

-Have to focus on windows to scroll on them

-Old file manager, doesn't have quick toggles for hiding/showing files or extensions (have to use registry hacks for that kind of shit)

-Soon to be unsupported

Man, I love pressing on fake switches

>Soon
Three years. Soon.

Linux is botnet. They have to run OpenBSD. Then lock themselves into a dark room, remove all network devices and continuously use OpenSSH to log in to localhost.

What did he mean by this?

Absolute gold.

If those were fake switches, so were fake on Windows 7, the OS that was proven to have backdoors on previous versions anyway, so stop being faggots or just run OpenBSD.

infoworld.com/article/3132377/microsoft-windows/microsoft-previews-telemetry-push-with-new-win781-patches-kb-3192403-3192404.html

Just accept that you can't update your system past SP1.

Wrooooong.

May I ask you what modules you added? I looked at the guide and I don't see anything that might affect driver installation being left out. The guide was indeed a bit rushed though.
That is for consumer and Enterprise Windows 7 only. However it seems like the source I got saying WES7 ending support in Jan 2021 is also erroneous, it is October 2020. POSReady 7 and Thin PC are still October 2021 though.
I am running Windows 8.1 as host.

Does it have Bitlocker and other security shit as in W7 Ultimate?

I have suspicions about bitlocker.

I was thinking on using Veracrypt, but my question was just for curiosity.

Actually I'm using W7 Ulltimate x86 and I'm thinking to switch to x64 and try/stay with WES7. But I only have 2GB RAM and I think it will not make a noticeable difference

Is there any way to remove installed modules or do I have to reinstall?

I plan to stick with this setup and Windows 7/Windows Home Server 2011 (based on 2008r2)
till the day there is no drivers for the hardware which will be a very long time considering how long hardware lasts these days. My server is running hardware from 2005ish and still going strong. only upgrades has been to storage over the years. Desktop machine is still running and does everything i need so I've no plans to upgrade/replace it.

use dism /online /remove-package:
elbacom.com/2009/11/25/add-or-remove-features-in-an-existing-wes-7-image/
Directory still points to DS folder in the install media.
Yes.

How do you update this thing?

Unlike WES09 and XPe, WES7 can update on its own. However, it also comes with the Quality Rollups so you might want to use the Catalog to download the security-only update if you prefer.

Should I also get the critical updates or just security?

Well there will be no significant impact in functionality unless you happen to have an issue that is only fixed in the Quality Rollups. If you feel that the Quality Rollups contains unsolicited telemetry however, then install the Security-Only updates instead.

Note that for each rollup in the Catalog, there is one for Windows 7 and another for WES7. Pick the WES7 one if you choose to go security-only, otherwise Windows Update will take care of everything for you.

As for other Rollups such as .Net rollups, it is recommended you get them or disable/uninstall said features.

Thanks, windows update gets stuck on "checking for updates" though so I guess I'll have to manually install them

nvm it's fixed

You can easily disable the service and confirm that it is indeed disabled by looking at system logs that show the starting up and stopping of all services. If you're paranoid you can look at logs kept by your router or modem. If you still think that's not enough you should stop using the internet altogether.

nice mactype, FAG

You're not really fighting (((the man))) unless you install an operating system the source code of which you can access and see what it does. Let's be honest here. It doesn't matter if you're using Windows 10, 7 or 8.x because all of them are backdoored. Windows 10 is just more upfront about it.

Microsoft thought it could get away with it because of the cultural shift in attitudes towards privacy. It used to be unthinkable for you to post a public profile with your real name and picture, along with detailed personal information for everyone to see. Now it's commonplace because of Facebook and similar sites. So Microsoft figured that people have warmed up to having no privacy, nothing else. There isn't an instance where Microsoft wasn't spying on you, but decided to suddenly start doing it.

I don't care about how secure or private it is, Windows 10 sucks dick for a myriad of other reasons.

>windows 10 isnt a botnet! windows 10 told me it stopped those spying services!
holy fucking lel

agree tb h
It's pretty gud for gayman too

you can remove that too

overclock.net/t/1587577/windows-7-updates-list-descriptions-telemetry

>Window snapping to corners inexistent
>Have to focus on windows to scroll on them
Third party solution is the only way to go.

>Old file manager, doesn't have quick toggles for hiding/showing files or extensions (have to use registry hacks for that kind of shit)
Not sure about this one, it's not something I have ever needed to bother with, one of the first things I do is always turn on file extensions.

what's your opinion on ultimate edition?

Absolute bloat. The only reason pirates install it is because of the word Ultimate.

stop fat fingering your spacebar you fucking perv

I'd use WES7, but even following the guide I was both unable to remove IE, and unable to install something I don't recall (dunno if it was the latest Office). I guess I could try again.

That's good and all, but which third party solutions are these?

alt+drag for scrolling inactive windows
you could already snap to corners in windows 7

>you could already snap to corners in windows 7
Not without third party software though, that's the point. You can snap to the sides. W10 introduced snapping to corners without the use of third party tools (as well as snapping to every side when using a multimonitor setup, because the normal behavior on windows 7 is to stop you from snapping a window to the right side of your left monitor, or left side of your right one.

Still, I'm not too bothered about that. What bothers me most out of every Windows system is font rendering. gdipp doesn't work with some applications and mactype has that problem -and- has kerning issues.

I don't think I'll ever update

A retarded question, what is PID? A key?

Why does bloat matter so much for an ancient OS

I could understand if you have a cheap crappy laptop maybe, but what's the point of stripping down features with a decent desktop nowadays, with the added risk of breaking something that you might use in the future?

>because the normal behavior on windows 7 is to stop you from snapping a window to the right side of your left monitor, or left side of your right one.
Now that's just wrong
Win+ArrowKeys

Try with the mouse

Now that won't work, but I wouldn'´t want that to work when dragging windows from screen to screen anyway, and the statement was that it was not possible in W7 without third party scripts.
s.put.re/2zFpKV5.webm

>but I wouldn'´t want that to work when dragging windows from screen to screen anyway

Well, that's subjective I guess. I like to have both options and generally don't get used to snapping with keys.

>and the statement was that it was not possible in W7 without third party scripts.

True. Still, where's that corner snapping then?

>where's that corner snapping then
If you mean snapping into quarters of the screen, that's not there, but you can do webm related

Here's how it arranges with 5 windows open.

Product key.

EMET is pretty tedious.

How's Blackbird script?

Why's it bloat apart from the added features? Is it worse performance wise or what?

you can physically use XP senpai

Not true we accessed the upgrade utitilty via the accesibilty tools or whatever, upgraded 5 win 7 pro machines to 10 just a few days ago maing.

my nigga, is that slanxp 2.0?

Windows 7 with Ashtray theme solmiler.deviantart.com/art/Placebo-for-Windows-7-188414149

Windows has been backdoored since windows 95, look up NSAKEY and encrypted cryptographic keys that have been in every windows version since 95. You're no safer on 7 than if you're on 10.

>The free upgrade offer has expired

Officially yes. But I very recently got a completely new gaming pc and just installed windows 10 with a windows 7 pro Key.

>all backdoored
You left your tinfoil hat on.

Been backdoored since windows 95, they just stopped being subtle with 10.

>using 3rd party garbage that is partnered with Microsoft to disable somehting you can disable in registry/services.msc in less than a second
weow lad

To be honest I don't care about the botnet.

What I care about is how it looks. You can do something about it on 7. Even on 8.1. But forget about 10. 10 is a pain in the butthole. Every big update breaks theme support and pretty much anything that tampers a bit with system files. In order to customize it, you -need- to tamper with said files, there's no other way around. So it's really shitty. The defaults are horrible and disgusting as well.

Hey guys

Say, what's wrong about windows 8.1 aside from the start menu? I just see it as an improved version of 7 without some of the crap from 10.

>To be honest I don't care about the botnet.
>
>What I care about is how it looks.
Stopped reading there. Just get a mac then.

Which updates should I avoid?
Will Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Ableton and FL Studio work on it?

So should I pirate professional edition? If I want to reinstall Windows, how do I install it while keeping other installed non-windows programs?

Just installed it, followed the old guide.

I wanted to open task manager and it seems it has been removed. Huh.

Don't pirate Windows 7. You can just buy a key and download for like $2 on eBay.

haha fuck off billy you can suck my cock all day. if i'm running windows i'm sure as fuck not paying a dime for it.

>poorfags

Life must be hard with a small-to-average size penis.

Cant activate Windows 7 in a virtual machine with KMS activation it seems. Fucking shit.

>not using a preactivated iso when installing winblows 7

Thanks for the tip, gonna check it out.