I know that we all hate Apple...

I know that we all hate Apple, they make overpriced stuff whose only value is in the social status upgrade that they offer.
But I genuinely love the old Mac Pro, in his time was the only Apple computer worth of a crap. Do you also love the Classic Mac Pro Sup Forums?
Lets mourn it.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/1686/5
everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/faq/powermac-g5-liquid-cooling-info-leaks-issues.html
pcworld.com/article/112749/article.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I like the design. I like the OS as well.

I don't like the rest. The fact this thing is dated, and they killed the line of mac pros. That now they won't release anything powerful, and they'll just focus on offering the same system with 1 or 2 tweaks or improvements every year, maybe 4 or 5 problems with it. Notice how they didn't even bother with changing the design between El Cap and Sierra.

The rest from Apple is just garbage to be honest.

Mac's had a reputation for being superior at multimedia work for a reason: their PPC architecture and close relations to giants like Adobe meant Mac Pros were better at multitasking and the general compute work involved with multimedia.

Back then they actually offered something unique as, to the best of my knowledge, it was the only way to get PPC hardware in a consumer desktop. The switch to x86 is where they stopped offering something genuinely functionally superior and really started hammering the marketing shit and focusing on aesthetics as basically the key selling point. I'm not saying PPC would've stayed relevant forever as it was clearly on its way out at that point anyway, but that was pretty much their only trump card.

Pic related is an AIO water cooler used in a G5 Mac Pro. That's right, fags, Apple did it first.

That generation of Mac Pros were easily the best looking workstations out there.

>Apple did it first.
You mean the leaking?

Fun fact:

Because the Xbox 360 used a PPC-based CPU, the only viable development platform of choice was the G5 Power Mac. Here's an ancient article where we see some G5's actually used in an Xbox 360 demo kiosk.

anandtech.com/show/1686/5

>being this insecure

What is that like?

>t. mactoddler

Epic maymay.

>any negative facts about applel must be a maymay

>t. mactoddler

EPIC MAYMAY
P
I
C

M
A
Y
M
A
Y

I don't think the G5 was ever watercooled. They started watercooling them after the G5 was switched to an intel CPU afaik. And the G5 wasn't called "G5 mac pro". It was called Power Mac G5, and the G5 was dropped altogether when the G5 processor was switched out obviously.

I've never actually used a Mac of any kind. My source is a multimedia teacher I had back in high school.
She told me about some of the features in adobe's software only macs had access to and how much easier everything was in general on a power mac vs an x86 pc of the time.

She also told me she had since switched to windows since there really wasn't much of a difference in usability by that point. She was actually a pretty cool lady.

"I don't think the G5 was ever watercooled"

everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/faq/powermac-g5-liquid-cooling-info-leaks-issues.html

Yeah sorry, i realized my blatant terminology fuckup after submitting my post but was too lazy to correct it.

But yes, friend, G5's did indeed offer water cooling. As far as I know it was only on the highest end models, likely those using a pair of CPU's, but it existed. I actually only remember this because there was an article in an xbox 360-centered issue of xbox official magazine that went into a bit of detail about the G5. It was my first time hearing about a liquid cooled computer and it blew my little prepubescent mind.

The late PowerMac G5s were the only ones watercooled due to the housefire dual core chips that could pull nearly 200W each. When they switched to Core 2 Duos on the first mac pros they got that down to a much more reasonable 80W rated, so water was unnedessary there, or a quad core 150W where air was still just good enough.

>excellent attention to aesthetics
>reasonable expandability
>reasonable performance
>decent operating system
Sure.

>The switch to x86 is where they stopped offering something genuinely functionally superior
No, not really, the x86 switch was ultimately for the better. The G5 chips were hot, expensive, and only "functionally superior" for things you never bought a Mac to do in the first place anyway with their lackluster at best integer performance.

It was the software and the name that made them a good choice by then, not the lame chips that were abstracted away into oblivion anyway.

The inside design is top notch. Just how everything goes together is remarkable. The drive bay locks, PCI locks, removable CPU module, etc.

Where the coffee lake Mac Pro is?

it was only out of necessity and had a flawed executon with them leaking until later revisions. PowerPC was losing it's competitive edge at the time too so that wasn't really helping, especially again with that power consumption.

I love the look of it. Why can't Apple make good looking shit anymore?

Bro I tried to touch on just that in my long winded pile of words above.

Compared to the shitty Pentium chips of the time PPC was simply better at certain tasks and Adobe had such a hardon for Macs they provided significantly superior versions of their software for OSX, leaving basically scraps for Windows users.

Obviously neither factors lasted long, I was just trying to make a point of how Apple's workstations were once something more than shitty overheating trashcans with laughably outdated hardware.

yeah first generations had a terrible leak problem. apple kept the replacement program going for years. they also had to water cool them because of their insanely high tdp. those puppies where more of a house fire than amd could ever dream of. only the lower end g5's could be adequate cooled by conventional heatsink + fan.

>I've never actually used a Mac of any kind. My source is a multimedia teacher I had back in high school.

pcworld.com/article/112749/article.html

in the end the G5 was a failure for apple. it faced a netburst problem like intel did with the p4. it couldn't increase clock speeds without burning down the house. which was actually sad considering a benefit of risc is allowing for higher clock speeds.

>pic related
a run down of risc vs cisc.

Still use my early 08 Mac Pro. Even upgraded it with a GTX 680, USB 3.0, and boot to SSD (using PCI SSD card). I probably spent too much when I bought it ($2600), but it has been the best tech I've ever used in terms of getting shit down vs time saved not having to figure out why it's fucking up. The countless hours I've wasted with XP is time I'll never get back that I could've been doing something more fun (which is pretty much anything).

Only two things bother me about Apple. The fact they released an update to OSX that allows you to plug in pretty much any GPU (minus apple boot screen) and not tell anyone is EXTREMELY odd. I never did find out why they did that. I imagine they had to write the code specifically to allow any graphics card to work when it previously didn't.

The other is the expensive trashcan that's taking over the line. I'm fine for now though because my machine still runs extremely fast and stable (although can't upgrade to newest OSX for some odd reason). But it means, in the end, I'm forced to eventually abandon Apple. Already built a new PC and giving Win10 a try. Took months working on getting rid of all the privacy bullshit, but currently it's running great! Not nearly as productive or stable as OSX, but nowhere near as bad as XP.

I stand corrected.