Programming Languages

So Sup Forums

What are the best programming languages to learn right now?

Don't single out new ones like Rust and Go.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/about/careers/students/guide-to-technical-development.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

javascript because you can use it to do almost everything.

frontend backend shell scripting desktop and mobile apps

"Best" language is subjective to what you want.

But pic related is breddy good.

Go.

Everything in your narrow view...

The obvious answer is C. It's been relevant for decades and will continue to be relevant for decades more. Most languages are based on it.

>What are the best programming languages to learn right now?
>best
Best for what? For learning programming? For getting an entry-level job? For making a mobile application?

Rust.

Ah- yes
I was waiting for someone to say this.

Now why is Rust the best to learn?

Depends on what you want to do? What do you want to do?

>javascript
>mobile
>desktop
>backend
Kill yourself and take your 9999 hipster github repo dependencies with you. We don't need people like you shitting up the industry.

Speed of C without the memory-related errors and with the expressive power of ocaml, along with scheme macros. Standard is smaller than C's. No runtime and no GC. Because correctness is enforced at the type-level, it forces you to learn how to write correct programs on the levels the type system enforces.

C
IDL
FORTRAN

everything else is for cucks.

Lua's pretty great.
Especially for gamedev and embedding, but also good for pretty much everything.

And why would you learn it over Go?

Go has a GC, fuckall expressive power (not even generics!), no hygienic macros, and is designed to be used by pooinloos rather than to allow high-quality programs to be created efficiently. In general, it ignores all the knowledge that programming language research and experience has brought. For example, it took forever until it could even do dynamic linking officially. Its only notable feature, concurrency, is much better implemented as a library than as a core part of the language.

why the fuck isn't this pinned

Don't listen to guys like this. Google hosts all their web servers using node.js and Go. It's because node.js (javascript) uses a JIT compiler (Just In Time). The compiler for javascript is actually written entirely in C contrary to how most languages do it. What you get is a language that actually get's near C++ levels of speed but with really advanced asynchronous operations, making it second to only Go in server side performance.

TDLR; Javascript was a bad with a very narrow view on programming, but has grown in to an extremely powerful language that large companies that need power use. People just hate on it because: 1) It's young 2) It use to be bad and they don't know better 3) The language is not statically type, and it has first class functions, which is contrary to most Object Oriented languages, so it scares them.

The people that made C made Go. Stop being mad because the language is still young and developing.

Because it's beyond garbage.

(You)

How much do you get paid per post?

>Google hosts all their web servers using node.js

What are you smoking?

> It's because node.js (javascript) uses a JIT compiler

You mean, like Java has since it was invented? Scheme and LUA have JIT implementations.

>The compiler for javascript is actually written entirely in C contrary to how most languages do it.

Ruby, Python, etc have compilers written in C. The only real exceptions are things like Rust and Go, where the compiler is written in ... Rust and Go.

jQuery

28 Rupees, sir.

>no mention of good languages

>jit compilation
>first class functions
>advanced async
>network performance
Not special, almost any other language can do those things better. Languages like F# can do all those things perfectly.

>near C++ speed
Is pointless when you're forced to use 9999 poor quality dependencies pulled from github in order build anything non-trivial.

>dynamic typing
That's disgusting.

>google uses it therefore _______
Kill yourself.

It's like fortune always knows what threads to throw upon me whenever I need to ask a question.

So my field of study is IET (Info Engineering Tech) and I'm hoping to specialize particularly in networking. I also work as a student tech where I do administrative stuff as well. However, since I was in HS and started getting into the computer field and I first found this place, I've wanted to learn a scripting language, Perl in particular as well as bash, however I just can't fucking stick with it.

So I'm fairly familiar with the logic and operators that go behind scripting and programming, and if you were to give me a simple source code, I'd probably be able to follow along and see what it's doing, however I can't create worth a shit unless it's something extremely urgent, in which case I'll slap something together.

Now, I already know the answer to remedy this problem, and that's to actually practice and do it, but therein lies my problem. I can't keep focus and as soon as I start learning, I get distracted just as quickly and do something else.

So how do I get out of this dilemma, Sup Forums? Also is it worth learning Python?

Learn the following and you're good to go:
C and Ocaml
C# and F#
Java and Scala

Visual Basic & Visual C#

At least that clusterfuck isn't part of the sort of code you're encouraged to write.

I'm looking at you PHP.

Python sucks but it's my bread and butter.

Don't do fronted unless you like competing with blue hairs and diversity hires.

Learn C while studying operating systems.
Learn Java/C++ with larger projects.

Fundamentals from C will translate into most languages because you'll understand what those languages are abstracting away from the user.

If you want to get into web dev, start using python or ruby frameworks to build something. If you want to develop desktop software C#. If you want to develop apps enjoy swift and java. If you want to work for an enterprise company and deal with pajeet's constantly shitty commits, keep using java.

Expect to use javascript everywhere. React is probably the most marketable front end framework atm, coupled with something like redux or reflux.

In terms of learning, python is probably best.

google.com/about/careers/students/guide-to-technical-development.html

C++, Java®, Python®, JavaScript®, CSS & HTML, Ruby®, PHP®, C®, Perl®, Shell® script, Lisp®, Scheme®

I would also add C#/Android/Swift for phone development.

my nigga
>classic theme
>visual studio

kill yourself clueless cunt

if you don't want to keep reinventing the wheel you're going to have dependencies for every language.

the only reason they are used more in nodejs is because they're so simple to install and manage. they install in your project folder and dont shit up your system like python.

if you don't know what youre talking about dont try giving people advice. go back to desktop/battlestation threads.

>javascript
>near C++ levels of speed
>some people will read that post and believe it because they don't know any better
>the cycle of web developers being ignorant through indoctrination continues

>c# and Java, as difficult to learn as C

>Shell®
Shell is a registered trade mark?

they sell gasoline

>t.butthurt js plebian

C#

already an amazing language as soon as Asp.Net Core is full featured it will be over

everything for faggots like you, Javascript is the biggest meme in the entire history of programming

nice image post my main dude

>The people that made C made Go.
>implying C is well-designed

>If you have to reinvent the wheel and write your own left-pad
>...

All memes aside would C# be a good first language?

harder?

for a first language i think it's great, vstudio takes away a lot of the pain beginners would face

I think it would work well as a beginner language. The syntax is borrowed from C so it's pretty generic and could be leveraged when learning other C style languages.

It has a robust set of libraries, the IDE is great, and with core you can now run it on windows or linux

If you want to implement everything from scratch yourself and not ever finish your projects, C
If you want an extremely fast clusterfuck, C++
If you want to solve every problem with a library, Python
If you want to write """enterprise""" tier code, Java
If you want to be a modern webpleb, JS + the framework of the week
If you want to use languages that are still not finished, Rust or Go
If you want to be a Microsoft/Apple employee, C#/Objective C/Swift
If you never want anyone to understand your script, Perl
If you hate programming and just want your website to work, PHP
If you hate programming and just want to analyse your data, R
If you want to be a wizard, Lisp

mfw no hdl

i thought i was your main dude :(

No Clojurists in here?

For the past 5 years i was learning c++.
Of course i "learned" other stuff too because i had too, but cpp was my goto.
First job i got was about flex and AS3, second about asp.net but i kept learning and using cpp in my free time.
2 years after uni i got hired as embedded/cpp dev and i can work with what i like.

Tl;dr;
If you program for money you cant stuck to one fucking technology, but never leave what pumps you endorphines.

all your problems can be solved by not multiplying 5 with potato

HolyC

>cpp was my goto
But you shouldn't use these

none because by the time you are actually decent it's gonna be something else

especially if you're interested in web development

Useless pic with a ton of irrelevant crap and full of unsubstantiated schmopinions.

>tfw learned PHP
>lots of jobs but they're basically all wordpress-tier shit
>fuck all career prospects

I should have learned something useful like Python or C#

Just end my fucking life

>know 3 of these (counting HTML + CSS + JS as one) already
>still unemployed
S-should I Kms?

Any Kotlin lovers in here?

>wouldnt mind doing java programming more but its tied to awful slow as fuck build systems
So am I now a Pajeet# missile?

I mean, it's pretty clear it's only used for websites. No scientist has ever used php to calculate some science shit. Didn't you realize your were taking the path to becoming a brainless code zombie?

If you're not using laravel in current year you deserve all the cancer.

Definitely JavaScript, you can do everything in it: Web development, app development, desktop applications. The new language features are fantastic. The only thing it lacks are strong types and code navigation/completion assistance on the level of Java/C#, but it will never have those...

Java is still going very strong: It has a fantastic ecosystem of perfect libraries and with project Valhalla (Java 10) it will be rejuvenated by decades. If you just want a job and don't dislike Java, learn Java.

C# is a nice language, we'll see how popular .net core will be. I don't believe it has a chance though, Java is too established anywhere .net would be. There is no reason for prefering C# over Java unless you really prefer programming in C#. Since Java got lambdas and streams, C#'s biggest advantage disappeared.

> Don't single out new ones like Rust and Go.
Rust is irrelevant outside of a few hipster bubbles.
Go is irrelevant outside of a few SF hightech hipster bubbles. Although it was created in 2007 they insisted on repeating the same old mistakes countless other languages made.

> wouldnt mind doing java programming more but its tied to awful slow as fuck build systems
If you work out of a modern IDE you don't have to fully compile anything. Full maven builds for non trivial applications do take forever though.
If you use Spring, Spring Boot got spring-boot-devtools with fast, automatic restarts on code changes.

If you want instant hot code swapping you can get JRebel, with "instant" as in "zero seconds".

haha wow

This image is fucking stupid. The flow chart is shit and the opinions on these languages is mostly just memes.

In Sydney there seems to be quite a few new job postings looking for Ruby on rails devs.

C++ in general, java for android dev, html+css+js for web dev.

1. ancient
2. made by a python fanboy
3. wrong

Web development isn't true programming.

It's great as a first language but NEVER use Visual Studio as a beginner. It takes away so much work that you'll be helpless without it later on.

>that you'll be helpless without it later on
I learned VB6 as a first language.
Now I like C.
Am I helpless?

>Python and Java everywhere
Ummh, no sweetie.

Because some people don't know they can enable debug collections in gcc which check for out of bounds vector accesses and other nice things.

reading as well as creating this picture was a waste of time

> What are you smoking
Not an actual response. Because you know that the google team maintains the V8 engine and directly controls node.js compilation speed. So of course they use it for their web services. Also it's the second fastest server side programming language for web servers. So of course they use it.

>Java
> Compiled

Java is one of the slowest piece of shit languages ever invented. It compiles down to Java Byte code and then is run through an interpreter on hour machine.

> Ruby and Pythong have C compilers hur dur

Yea but they are maintained by hipsters that don't understand anything about compilation performance.
Node's compiler is built through V8 engine, a project that is actively maintained and improved by a team at google. A team that has been improving code performance constantly.

I agree and disagree. Some web development is just in general not true programming. (Word press bullshit sites)

But when you get to applications like Gmail, Google.com, Netflix and other high demand services you find that the problems get significantly more complex and require a great deal of thought behind them.

TDLR; Web development is half and half "true programming"

Might learn JS just to spite Sup Forums. It'll go nicely with my knowledge of Python for web applications.

Python

why is there no good JavaScript course on iTunes U?

I smell witchcraft

The only notable thing about javascript is that most programmers (including you) are literal code monkeys that didn't even spend five minutes researching asnychronous IO so the only way they would ever get in contact with it is using a platform like NodeJS that doesn't have blocking IO and instead forces them to use asyncrhonous IO. Then they start thinking that javascript is significantly faster than whatever they used previously even though the problem was their own incompetence.

Javascript is a very in demand skill simply for the fact that you can't make a good website without javascript. Every website ever needs javascript to run properly.

The server side language for websites can change between python, c#, ruby, Java or Go. But the front end code always needs to use Javascript, CSS and Html.

I've worked a few jobs where the people working in web development don't know javascript that well and they never last long or make products the clients are happy with.

One piece of advice. Don't just learn JQuery. If you only learn JQuery you will cripple your self very very hard.
It's a nice tool to use some times but if that's all you learn you will never get good at Javascript.

> Java is slow
Uhm
It's slower than C and C++, yeah. It's faster than any other high-level language out there.

I have been writing synchronous code in python and C# for years. Try harder scrub.

> programming courses
> ITunes

- JavaScript
- Python
- Ruby
- Perl
- Go
- C
- C++

Avoid Java and .net although C# is alright. LISP is amazing but didn't make the list and I don't know enough about Rust to recommend it.

cleanest way to break from nested loops

call/cc

java programmers are still widely needed. It's cobol 2.0. There's so much pajeet soft written in java it will be around for another 30 years at least.

My fucking sides.

>Go is irrelevant outside of a few SF hightech hipster bubbles. Although it was created in 2007 they insisted on repeating the same old mistakes countless other languages made.
Go was created by old school engineers who made C and worked on Plan 9. Sometimes they make decisions conservatively but that's just because they know exactly what they're doing. Give it time and it will mature to be the one language to rule them all. Even proper support for generics (don't see why you need this but everyone wants it) will be here soon enough.

By contrast, Rust was thrown together in a few weeks by people with zero experience who had no understanding of the C++ features they were copying, so they ended up randomly changing things until people got impatient and then slapped a 1.0 on it and called it stable. They haven't actually stopped changing random parts of the language. The only difference is, they've stopped announcing them, so the handful of people trying to use it are surprised when their code breaks.

Go is a stable language with a real plan for long term support for its users on a timescale of decades. Rust is a hobbyist's experiment inflated by politics and undeserving hype, a fad that will be totally forgotten in a month when the next equally uninspired hip new thing rolls around.

it is a good description

The more I read about it and the more I try it I'm leaning towards clojure.

this is fucking terrible.

Learn LOLCODE.
Its an esoteric language perfect for the average autistic Sup Forumstard.

Just look at this beautiful code:
HAI 1.2
I HAS A n
GIMMEH n
n IS NOW A NUMBR
IM IN YR LOOP UPPIN YR i TIL BOTH SAEM i AN n
VISIBLE SUM OF i AN 1
IM OUTTA YR LOOP
KTHXBYE

Absolutely magnificent.

Ada
C