Soooo I live in a share house with gf and another couple (i'm network admin of course)

Soooo I live in a share house with gf and another couple (i'm network admin of course)

Recently been seeing some ridiculously slow internets speeds.

The part that I'm most baffled about is pings up to 750ms.

WTF could they be doing that might cause this?

also: I asked them what they have been doing and the girl said 'netflix last night and synching my photos with google photos this morning'

BTW i've tried throttling their traffic on every port except 80 and 8080 but the trouble continues.

What could be on these HTTP ports yet fuckup my ping?

try using the network with nobody connected, if the connection is still shit then contact the ISP

> living in shared house
Cuck
> network admin of a house
Get a real job

I've tried, it runs flawlessly without them connected.

They are certainly responsible, I just want to work out how (without taking their computers and looking at them)

one of the people in the house is infected with a botnet and is being used by some botmaster for DDoS.

Classic scenario

maybe syncing the photos is still going on with lots of single small files; for every file a new negotiation could cause it.

or windows 10 telemetry?

i actually thought that but they run Macs

still possible i guess but much less likely?

any ways to check?

Lel. They are having cam shows and you are not invited.

if you are a network admin as you claim to be, you should know the answer.

Fucking analyze the network

Use wireshark and see what's going on.

>i'm network admin
>what could they be doing?????

sounds like you wanna tell the story buddy

stop using wifi

>implying OP knows what wireshark is

Fair call. Only tried throttling some ports and other experiments with the router

Checking it now

I'm on 802.11ac with router in my room, stats attached. I agree wifi is still shit anyway.

Prob have a better general knowledge of technology than you do bro.

>Prob have a better general knowledge of technology than you do bro.

Sorry, guess you made this thread just to ask us to jerk you off, while gloat how you're a net admin.

nah I def need advice, I don't know heaps about networking

>gloating about being the network admin of a 4 person household

>they run Macs
then its probably stupid apple shit uploading all your files to the cloud every 24 hours

Someone's probably uploading/downloading or worse torrenting. Ping goes completely shiet when torrenting.

Tried throttling torrent ports, seems to be coming through HTTP ports.

try disconnecting all devices and connecting them individually and testing speeds

i saw a thread a while ago here and it turned out someone's phone was messing everything up so it could be that

I've sort of done that, by blocking/unblocking their mac addresses one by one but I might try it again a bit more scientifically. Thanks for the suggestion.

This. Typically it's the uploading/seeding part that hits the hardest since typically you have substantially less upstream than downstream to go around. One person sucking up all the upstream (e.g. unlimited torrent seeding or otherwise pretty much any large upload) will basically kill everything else going out for the duration, no matter how insignificant, which is why you would see a large increase in your ping.