So i wanna expand my storage. and my laptop is using HDD. there's no usb-c port...

so i wanna expand my storage. and my laptop is using HDD. there's no usb-c port. and i'm considering buying an external ssd (1TB), and i'm gonna move my datas there, so i'd have to plug the ssd in all the time. there are two questions :

1. will my computer run faster if i move my 500GB data to an external SSD ?

2. which one will read faster : reading an internal HDD data, or an external SSD data through USB 3.0 port ?

Fuck off retard.

pls help me guys, i know you all know the answers. help one newfag pls and then i'll fuck off

USB 3 does like 5 Gb/s vs 6 Gb/s on SATA
A hard drive comes nowhere close to saturating that and you're not going to lose a whole lot from your average SSD either

why ? is it really that obvious ?

one more cost is slightly higher CPU overhead, so you may see slightly more loss during times of heavy load. Since you're asking this question I am guessing you're not a heavy use case guy

swap internal HDD for a new SSD.
Set fire to your old HDD
Learn to google

so even if it's SSD it wouldn't be any faster ?

wait, can i actually change the internal HDD into SSD ? don't they need different motherboard ?

>wait, can i actually change the internal HDD into SSD ? don't they need different fatherboard ?
lol why are you on Sup Forums dude?

because i have questions. i don't frequent this board, gadgetarium isn't really my hobby.

>1. will my computer run faster if i move my 500GB data to an external SSD ?

No, HDD aren't like trucks, it makes no difference how much on it is, it doesn't go faster, the only thing that matters is where your system partition is. As others said, get a SSD for your lap.

If you are that tech illiterate (no offense, just observing) you better let it to some IT monkey handle.

No bro you should have more then enough space to fit an SSD if you take out the harddrive you've got in there

ok guys guys, next question :

if i upgrade my RAM to 16 GB (from 8GB) and my 750 GB HDD to 1TB SSD, will my computer actually run faster if the processor only have 2 cores ? it's i5 desu

i will, i'm just asking about the possibilities of my vision.

A. You don't wtf are you going to do with 16gb of ram,you probably don't already need it B. Over clock your processor C. Only diffrence you might see is in load times depending on what you run on the SSD such as your OS and games and shit

>doesn't change CPU
>will computer run faster
at this point I think you're trolling

you dont need more ram
new SSD instead of old HDD will make a noticable difference

Read the thread, he has a laptop.
But a laptop with 16GB would still be comically retarded.

>You don't wtf are you going to do with 16gb of ram,you probably don't already need it

i just want faster computer. i don't game, and a faster one will make my life more exciting. even though i only browse the internet and listen to music.

>Over clock your processor

what are the dangers of it ? sounds not ideal and cheating

>Only diffrence you might see is in load times depending on what you run on the SSD such as your OS and games and shit

well what other 'times' are there besides load times ?

so IF we compare the same specs ( 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) of two computers that has 2 cores and 4 cores processors, the 4 cores will be significantly faster ?

>But a laptop with 16GB would still be comically retarded
why is that ?

>so IF we compare the same specs ( 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) of two computers that has 2 cores and 4 cores processors, the 4 cores will be significantly faster ?
Depends. 4 shitty cores might not be much if at all better than two good ones. It also depends on what you actually do with the computer - if you just shitpost and listen, my guess is that you don't even saturate the cores you already have unless your laptop is REALLY shitty.

Oh shit almost forgot...your on a laptop yeah forget what I said about overclocking you might end up melting your pc and no just beacuse you have more cores doesn't mean entirely it will run faster

only reasonable upgrade on a laptop is swapping that HDD for SSD. all you need, and almost all you can do to make it faster.

Mine has 32 GiB...

why is upgrading RAM not reasonable ?

more ram only counts when your computer needs to use more than it has. You will not need over 8 for what you use your computer for.

yeah but i use both chrome and firefox at the same time and idk i mean if it (upgrading RAM) has no downsides, and actually can make my laptop run faster, i'd still consider changing it. idk just more exciting to see the change i guess.

and how can i actually make my laptop boot faster ?

1. Get a fucking SSD
2. /stupidquestionsgeneral/
3. Sup Forums is not your personal tech support team