What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)#ANSI_C_and_ISO_C
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

YOU

It's a good book, the out of date syntax is really not a big deal.

It fucking dives head on, exercise asked are too complicated for the guy who is just starting.

Nothing

The new generation programmers were stupidified.

array decay and its bastard child, C strings.

The fact that it teaches ANSI C is actually a positive point since you'll learn to write very portable code.

If you find yourself needing C99/C11 exclusive features, you might as well just use C++ instead.

The exercises are not that complicated if you already know how to program. The book is meant to be an introduction to C, not to programming in general.

What's a C book to get started in programming
Different user

Friendly reminder that ANSI C is actually less portable than C11.

C Programming A Modern Approach

header file, the standard library, the metaprogramming facilities and the so called "declaration reflects use" philosophy behind the syntax

If you're gonna get started in programming with C, then look no further than CS50.

Seriously, most beginner C books are garbage in on itself and CS50 is a god-like course. Some autists may try to argue against that because CS50 has become popular and Sup Forums hates popular, but memes aside:

CS50 is the quintessential Harvard CS course, it is tailored to students with no previous programming experience (most of the students that take the course at Harvard don't have any previous programming experience). The teacher is amazing and energetic, the order at which the material is presented is spot-on, you'll learn a lot of skills that most people only properly learn after years of experience (how to read other people's code and expand upon it, how to read man pages and read online documentation such as from the MSDN). Overall top notch didactic from a top notch Harvard course, literally every concept that is introduced is thought through so that at the end of the day you leave the course with a very wide base knowledge so that you're able to teach yourself whatever you need.

I cannot shill the course enough, I own so many things to it. Forget the books and watch the lectures as soon as possible if you want to learn how to program.

Where to find the lectures?

Google it, first result.

Go to Weeks, Week 1, Lecture. No need to read the notes (it's but a transcript of the lecture), but do the Problem Sets.

You can also do the course on edX, but it's sligthly outdated (i.e. the course material on cs50.harvard.edu is from 2016, the one being taught on edX is from 2015 or something). Either way you're good to go.

Thanks, will look into. Mostly going to be learning this as a hobby

If you're new to programming, start with the SICP

i started it with no prior knowledge on september last year, it was kinda cool but i dropped after three weeks because i thought it was too slow. (and i was doing a lot of python at that time).

I don't know if i can sit through it now, because i have prior knowledge and projects under my belt : every time i'm touching the idea i end up thinking that it'll be even more slow now.
But i might take it again soon maybe, i didn't do a lot (lectures/sections/pset up to three weeks) but i learned some things that i still use today.

Currently checked this out from my Uni's library along with a modern (~2 year old) C++ book. It's a great read for me and I'm following along well. I understand some stuff is 'outdated' but for the core values of C it's great

I started with this book years ago... Couldn't have chosen better. Op you faggot. kys.

proofless claim

It's """"type"""" system

What's a good IDE for learning C? The IDE was the most fun part of learning Python, and it's way less enjoyable to just type everything up in Notepad or emacs or whatever and just hope it works. I want my brackets to light up and my words to all be different colours :^)

Some editor + clang parsing and completion plugin. For starters, VS Code and said plugin just werks, but don't forget to crank up the C standard in the settings.

As IDEs go, CLion, QtCreator and Eclipse C++ Edition are fine. Maybe CodeLite as well.

ANSI C is non-portable C. ISO C is portable.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)#ANSI_C_and_ISO_C

Sugoi~~~; thank you, user. I have Eclipse on my computer from when I tried to teach myself Java and gave up immediately; I'll see if I can just change a setting or something in there or download a plugin.

this is a beginning C book if you're serious about programming. a lot of people get turned of because it's terse, somewhat dry and moves a long and a pretty fast clip.
but this is the book i started learning C on. i admit i struggled with the course and the book initially. complex declarations, pointers, a non-intuitive i/o model had me frustrated. but i stuck with it.
years later i realized books like "pointers on c" by reek offers a gentler introduction while still providing guidance for writing quality, portable c code.
if you already have some kind of understanding of programming and want to move into systems programming, k&r2 can be an excellent foundation. there's a long way to go after this book however.

What do you guys think of Practical C ?

the guy literally wants me to put comments after variable declaration

nothing went wrong, people are not smart enough to actually learn it