After 2 years of struggle and suffering caused by Windows 10. I have finally decided to get rid of windows

After 2 years of struggle and suffering caused by Windows 10. I have finally decided to get rid of windows.
I have been using windows since windows 95. I remember when Microsoft used to sell good looking OS with sane, professional environment. I was a bit disappointed with 8/8.1. Not a fan of start screen tiles. I kept using it with classic shell.

When 10 came out I was disappointed even further, since microsoft is not giving shit about usability. They did not get rid of shitty tablet interface that makes me puke.

Now that picture related is how windows is going to look like I can't think of a worse joke. It looks like a broken Linux theme.

I have used Linux in VMs in the past so I am not really unfamiliar to it.

My question is:
Can Linux run Word 2010 or even 2007?
And Should I install Linux or FreeBSD? I have tried ghostBSD and it was pretty comfy. Does WINE run under FreeBSD?

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10
rpmfusion.org/Configuration/
google.fr/search?q=word 2010 color scheme
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

install macOS

Just keep using windows 10 but with better tools - install something like total commander or free commander ( I use this one because it has a one panel view option ) I haven't used windows default shit since, like, windows xp.

>>Sup Forums

This is a gay friendly board, shitlord.

you will come back soon

What OP is going to do:

>install Ubuntu
>move on to Debian because Ubuntu is for idiots
>then move on to Fedora because Debian is too old
>move on to Arch because Fedora is for casuals
>move on to Gentoo because compiling your own packages is 'more optimized'
>then move back to Ubuntu after using timesink distros
>finally reinstall Windows 10 because it just werks with no fucking around

No it's not you fucking faggot

I'm an EE student and a hardcore windows user, so I kinda really know how operating systems work, im just lost at the sheer number of distros.

this is roughly what I did actually, pretty funny when I think about it, feels like reminding yourself of all the shameful stuff you did in your teens

You wish, faggot.

I'm at stage 4 atm

I went the full circle, but I'm seriously considering coming back to GNU/Linux. I can't seriously accept that half assed excuse of OS.

At least Linux is something that keeps improving through time and you can actually see it if you look back 5 years or so.

Go for Ubuntu LTS if you want most of the stuff working out of the box, or go with Manjaro for rolling and stability, but less official support for software like Matlab.

I'm also a EE student and Matlab is a little bit of a manageable pain on Manjaro, while Ubuntu works flawlessly. That's why my teaches mostly uses it, or Debian, I guess.

GNU/Linux*

Yeah Windows looks like crap, hugely inconsistent, etc. However, I have yet to find a Linux DE that looks any good either. They are all either unstable or weird (KDE I'm looking at you) or just boring Windows 2000 type stuff.

Can anyone show me an actual Linux DE that can be made to look good with a simple skin? I'm not talking about all this complicated ricing bullshit, just something that will install and has different skins, one of which looks half decent.

Unity+arc themes is years ahead of anything Windows can put in terms of UI and consistency.

>>finally reinstall Windows 10 because it just werks with no fucking around
I recently installed Windows 10 on a spare computer for the sole purpose of gaming.I hadn't used Windows since Windows 7 was first released (I thought 7 was a shit and tried Ubuntu). I'm actually shocked that anyone would recommend Windows 10 with any seriousness.What a janky, cobbled together, piece of shit.I consider that to be quite a statement,having been an Ubuntu user since version 8.What a mess! The whole thing feels like a shitty Android app with adware all over the place.

huh, I went Ubuntu, then Gentoo. Have been on Gento for at least six years now, but I was considering moving onto a less timesinky OS.

Problem is, I just don't know which.

Elementary OS is classy and shows huge potential but it's still in beta so you know.

Gnome with Arc and Numix. I would suggest (pic related), as a means to whip Gnome into usable shape,too.

>Can Linux run Word 2010 or even 2007?
Yes: appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10

The real question you should ask: do I even need MS Word anymore? I find that I can happily carry out all of my office-related chores in Google Docs and in many respects I find it better than MS Office: better, realtime online collaboration, auto-saving on the cloud and overall it has all the essential stuff. Yeah, right, you might not be able to embed your precious WordArt graphics or type with the Windings font but I think you will get over it, eventually.

If the whole online, cloud mambo jambo is not your cup of tea, just install LibreOffice then. If you give it a shot, I'm sure it'll not disappoint you.

>And Should I install Linux or FreeBSD? I have tried ghostBSD and it was pretty comfy. Does WINE run under FreeBSD?

Use Linux. If you want the closest experience to Windows just-works philosophy (not anymore though), take a look at Ubuntu, elementaryOS or Fedora.

Yeah I've seen that but I'd need something stable if I'm going to switch and try a passthrough Windows/Linux gaming setup.

If you're going for the best no-frills gaming experience Linux has to offer, just install Ubuntu. It's officially supported by Steam.

>tfw Overleaf + Google sheets/slides master race

What struggle and suffering? What makes Windows 10 so unusable? user, pls. I can understand the ads complaint and wanting a better dev environment but you need to drop the special snowflake reasons.

Linux runs Office just fine, the new Wine 2.0 is supposed to support 2013 as well but you can just install LibreOffice. Outside of complicated Excel magic LO should be good enough for you.

>BSD
Lmao. Why? You want something that works like a big boy.

The only worthwhile distros if you're not a tryhard faggot are Ubuntu and Fedora. Use Ubuntu variants if you want to try out different DEs, save for Ubuntu GNOME. If you want to use GNOME, go with Fedora (and use Fedy) or use Korora if you're too lazy. Korora is just Fedora with the shit you're going to do already done for you. If you like Cinnamon, use Fedora's Cinnamon spin because the only good thing LM's devs have done is use Cinnamon desu. For ricing, there's gnome-look and believe it or not, deviantart. Elementary OS looks good but it's quite unpolished (multi-monitor use leads to crashes) when you get into the nitty gritty of things and they removed the ability to add PPAs. They also ask you to pay for their buggy PoS "b-but not r-really..."

scarily accurate

Solus, Elem, or a different flavor of ubuntu would do exactly that.

Just install Ubuntu and forget about the whole Sup Forums gentoo elitism circlejerk

>choose fedora
>it just werks
>recognise within a few months that the distro literally doesn't matter aside from the release model

install cloudready OS

ubuntu just werks too

>Fedora

I don't get all the praise. Most of my experience with it was horrible. I really wish things went better, but they didn't.

How come? Outside of one case where I fucked up trying to install NVIDIA drivers, it's always just worked for me.

Posting this from Fedora 25. Used the KDE spin for a few months with no issues until I finally settled with i3. Comfy as fuck. I've also used Fedora in my work laptop since day 1 with the same setup and couldn't be happier.

If all of these second-rate versions of Fedora are so good, I imagine the de facto GNOME flavour must be watertight as hell. Good for them.

Fedora is very similar to Ubuntu in many respects: broad package catalogue, stable, very usable, backed by a powerful company... On top of that it gives you bleeding-edge software but not to the point of being unstable like Arch does, frequent, polished major releases (Fedora 24 and 25 were both released in 2016), no ads Ie.g. Amazon search integration in the Unity bar) and they're one of the distros which contributes the most to the whole Linux ecosystem, for good or bad, e.g. first distro to ship with systemd, first distro to use Wayland as its default display server, finally phasing out X11... Unlike Canonical which are re-inventing the wheel with Ubuntu (Unity, upstart, Snappy...), don't contribute shit to the Linux community (a Ubuntu dev merging patches upstream? Don't hold your breath)... You get the picture.

I just can't move into an ecosystem without the adobe creative suite. I would love to ditch windows, but I'm not a huge fan of hackintoshes nor the hardware Apple is releasing, and linux distros & adobe seem to be repulsed by one another.

Do you mind explaining me a little about the "broad package catalogue"? Honestly, I had some hard time figuring out how to get software which isn't on the default repos.

For example, on Ubuntu you just have to add a PPA and that's it.

>linux distros & adobe seem to be repulsed by one another
Marketshare and testing probably isn't worth it. Or if you want to get Sup Forums Linuxtard then they probably get payouts from Micro$oft and Applel to not release their """creative suite""" on Linux.

>After 2 years of struggle and suffering caused by Windows 10.
hey nigger it got released 1.5 years ago

Use RPM Fusion for the extra Fedora repos:
rpmfusion.org/Configuration/
it is pretty much a 2 click job.

Have you ever tried alternative open source design software like GIMP/Krita or Inkscape? What's your opinion on it?

This board is nigger friendly, blackie

>Honestly, I had some hard time figuring out how to get software which isn't on the default repos.
Just add a third-party repo. The two major ones are RPMFusion and UnitedRPMs. These are basically PPAs with a lot of software, mostly software that lie in a legal grey area since Fedora's default repo makes a point of not including these. So those two pick up the slack for you. It's as easy as downloading an .rpm file and double-clicking it to add them.

On a smaller scale, there's copr, which is pretty much Fedora's PPA analogue. You can browse for software on something like Launchpad for Ubuntu and then it's as simple as typing in "dnf copr enable [name here]" and you're done.

This. Also, anything else you don't find in the RPM Fusion repos you'll surely be able to get by adding the repo URL to your /etc/yum.repos.d directory or with Copr, which is Fedora's equivalent to the PPA's. With Copr you just do sudo dnf copr enable and then sudo dnf install as usual.

They're actually pretty great, but it's pretty difficult to make the jump over when you were basically born into the creative suite and know just about all there is to know about it.
In a pinch, I'm sure the android tablet versions of adobe suite (now on chrome OS iirc) are also quite doable.

It also relies on your employer. Some employers don't want you using any other service but the Adobe suite. Which is fine for most people because employers pay for it and the hardware to match. For everyone else though, I'm sure the software you mentioned are phenomenal to get going creatively.

Probably. I just don't see distros working together to fund some Adobe partnership, and Adobe themselves don't give a fuck unless the marketshare is ridiculous. Chrome OS took off in education settings and so Adobe jumped on that by releasing their android tablet apps on it.
It's funny that the number one requested idea/feature on their forums is a linux release though.

install Kevin

>2 years
>w10 was released 1,5 year ago
Nice FUD you got there, cancerous linux dipshit.
Get back to your containment fglt thread

Ayo hol up

Why does your word look like that? Which version/theme is it using?

nvm, didn't know office 2010 had a dark theme. I don't know why, I like how it looks better than 2013/2016.

Fedora is shit. I just installed Rawhide on a VM ysterday. It made all kind of assumptions on what I wanted and didn't want in my installation.
I couldn't do a brtfs installation with compress=lzo because the shit graphical installation is shit. I tried to make a separate /home from / but it wouldn't let me. Fuck this shit. Arch is so much better.

>Why does your word look like that?
google.fr/search?q=word 2010 color scheme

>Which version/theme is it using?
14.0 (2010) / Dark

>the distro is bad because I'm too retarded to install it

Interesting replies. Thanks for the help.

I tried Fedora 25 and my main problem was with handling software, but your replies covered a lot I didn't get.

Not much of a fan of Gnome, but I can try i3.

Did anyone ever tried Sway on Fedora?

>Word
You can, but don't. Use libre or wps or even latex or something.

Awesom. Thanks.

And then go back to ubuntu.

but that's for idiots user!

Then windows is for mouth breathers

it's so easy to bait you redpill edgelords

Whilst the idea of software repos to avoid having a dozen auto-updaters installed is great, in practice they have a big disadvantage. They are often not updated very quickly and some software packages aren't updated at all. So basically to get the latest version you often have to either manually add another repo (too difficult for average user) or build from source (way too difficult for average user).

Official PPA

>I have used Linux in VMs in the past so I am not really unfamiliar to it.
>Asks if he should use FreeBSD or GNU/Linux
>Asks if Linux can run Word 2007 or 2010
>mfw you really don't know shit about GNU/Linux.

Replace Dash to Dock with Plank and you will have a God Tier DE.

Because most people who "try out GNU/Linux because they're sick of Windows" either A) don't know what the fuck they're doing, B) don't have the patience to learn GNU/Linux, or C) a combination of A & B.

What you described is a distro hopper. You don't learn shit that way and that's why most people end up crawling right back to Windows. They use Mint/Ubuntu/Debian/whatever other EZ mode distro for literally a week and think they're pro, then they try to install Gentoo or Arch and fail miserably, and just go straight back to Windows and say fuck Linux.

If users would spend about 3 months on Ubuntu or Mint, then move on to Arch after they start to get the hang of Linux and understand how to manage their system, then move on to Gentoo, they'd find out that they actually stick with Linux.

this desu, anyone on Sup Forums parading about how linux is the best and how windows is shit and making anti-windows threads is still somewhere in one of these pre-final stages.

>debian is too old
shiny new things syndrome

>tfw can't leave Windows because muh gaymen

Just end it now.

>tfw i remember how bad was insider
Good times, shit broke all the time.
The best one was this one though:
>doing trivial shit
>suddently memory usage skyrocketed
>the computer was frozen for good
>"Alright, i'll shut this down."
>turned it off
>turned it on back again
>everything that doesn't run on win32 (all the apps) stopped working.
>couldn't update because Settings.appx handles updates, and it's broken.
>couldn't rollback because i exceeded the time limit.
It updated either way, though.
They fixed this shit just in time for release.

Also,
>installed avast because common sense 2016 wasn't available back then
>reboot to complete installation
>blue screen on boot

>updated to newest build because still insider
>the os ignores my video card
The same day i installed ganoo and never looked back.

Similar experience after trying Insider. Happy I dodged the Win8 turd and hoped Win10 would be a reversion ala Win7. Nope they doubled down. Settings/Control two different menus. UI all sorts of fuckery. Updates no matter what. Candy Crush and the app store. Ads on simple games like Solitaire Free Cell and Mahjong. It now has leaderboards and shit. WTF? Xbox bullshit ala GFWL all over again.

Installed Manjaro w/ Xfce so svelte and smooth. Setup passthrough (grabbed an extra cable). Took me half a day. Bunch of Sup Forums starts saying to try i3 instead of Xfce. Nice. Now Manjaro with i3. Been running since the beginning of last year. Feels gud.

what is it with Sup Forums only liking cluttered desktop environments who look straight out of the 90s? Minimalism and simplicity are undisputedly the best things that ever happened to the world

you forgot
>finally buy a mac

Jesus Christ you described my teens so accurately right down to completing gentoo then going back to windows

You're gonna need Windows if you're EE. I'm EE and a lot of software you will need for school down the road is Windows exclusive. I don't understand why they don't have linux versions for everything I need... You'd figure electrical engineers use linux a lot and would port over their software... Also install Ubuntu and get a VM for Windows for when that time arises that you actually have to use windows software. Buy some more memory as well so it's not a slow piece of shit.