Removing packages in Windows 10

Dear Sup Forums.

There is something I noticed lately with the whole removing unwanted apps from Windows 10 method that is usually recommended as a way to debloat the OS.

Many guides or posted PowerShell scripts utilize

>Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

commands in PowerShell to remove unwanted apps like Xbox or Groove Music that cannot be simply uninstalled. However, as one can quickly notice, for examply by requesting listing of packages with -allusers, it only removes said apps for current user and not for everyone. More than that, they are still within system and will be installed by default to any newly created account.

However, I noticed that there exist another list of such packages, "provisioned" ones, which can be checked using command

>Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

which contains list of packages that will be automatically installed with each new user account. They can be removed in similar way, with admin rights. Then they also dissapear from normal list for all users.

The only problem I see here is that MS warning that removing them that way screws up sysprep function.

My question is - anybody tried that method here? Do they return with "new build" type of updates? Because it seems like the good way to properly debloat Win10.

Thanks for replies!

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I used it to clean up my gf's z8500 convertible after a clean install of build 1607 and yes it works fine.

You need to use -allusers to remove for all users.

I removed: windowsstore, bing, 3dbuilder, skypeapp, xboxapp, windowsphone etc.

No idea if a new build will put them back. My guess is probably, yes.

Thats why I asked about this "Provisioned Package" list. Simply removing them with "Remove-AppxPackage" does not delete them from system image. "Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -packagename" does, however (which is probably why it interfere with sysprep if you would happen to use it).

New build works similar to new installation, so my guess was that it would reinstall missing packages from "provisioned" list - with them gone, it wouldnt do that. However, Im actually pretty curious if it would re-add removed ones to said "provisioned packages" list.

I remember getting warnings like these with my install, to my knowledge they just mean that the app you're trying to remove won't work anymore. I've been on this install for a little less than a year now and I've never had an update change my settings, restore packages, or initiate without my permission.

Thats good to know. The fact that this is done with PowerShell means I could just write script to speed things up.

Now if only the same could be possible with Group Policies. Or is it?

I didn't use the Provisioned Package option just in case it broke windows update, something that used to happen with nlite and XP back in the day. My guess is that the creators update will install a default manifest including all the stuff we removed...

You can permanently remove any package from the installation image with dism.

Could you explain more? How did it broke the update?

>No idea if a new build will put them back.
Apparently it's been "fixed" in insider builds so they no longer come back.

Oh cool. So I dont really need to mess up with Provisioned Packages list and simply using AppxPackage commands is enough?

Never heard about this DISM, but from what I just saw on technet, it is pretty useful tool. I just hope I wont screw up system completely by experimenting with it.

tweaking an image with dism before installing is a preffered way to de-turd wincrap 10

lurk at mydigitallife forums for instructions and lists of packages to safely remove from the image.

or you can just use ccleaner to easily select the unwanted apps and click uninstall. it does it without errors or warnings.

not sure why no one on Sup Forums knows about this. you can also remove unwanted add-ons from IE11 and other browsers.

>downloading proprietary software to remove proprietary software

Disgusting.

I use it to clean the disk and registry. I later found out it has some useful tools built in like disk wiping and tweaking windows. all in one application.

Fighting fire with fire.
Firefighters call it a controlled burn.

>I use it to clean the disk and registry

I thought you shouldnt "clean" registry.

But I would first need to convert iso into wim/vhd file, right? Sorry I never ran into something like this before.

Funny how I only recently started to discover all the basic build-in tools to adjusting Windows and Im already amazed.

removing unused and obsolete entries is fine. when you run windows updates or add/remove software, some residual keys are left behind. i have an OCD about keeping everything clean.

Look at this placebo lover

Literally what is wrong with CCleaner?
I've been using it for years and think it works great. Really should upgrade to pro for the autoupdates and stuff cause I've definitely used my money's worth of it.

>But I would first need to convert iso into wim/vhd file, right?
you just have to unpack your iso anywhere, then tweak the install.wim file (search for it, it's the largest one) with dism in offline mode. Then just copy everything to usb drive as usual and boot/install as usual.

Ah, so for example first make bootable usb with selected iso file, then copy install.wim, tweak it and copy back? Sounds pretty easy.

Uh I went through this whole rigmarole a few days ago trying to debloat my mother's new HP win 10 laptop.

>uninstalled what I could from the control panel and the """app""" menu
>turned off cortana
>seemed pretty speedy
>made the mistake of not shutting down the laptop and leaving it on sleep for a couple of days
>oh god why is it so slow
>see cortana’s back
>oh god oh no
>the anniversary update self-installed itself
>begin a more aggressive debloat
>remove groove music and xbox shit
>some of the allegedly removed programs still seem to show up when listing alluser programs
>can't remove cortana using poweshell because it's a "system app"
>see cortana caning the CPU
>disable it via regedit and restart
>cortana process is still running and using up system resources
>system still feels slow and bloated

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

does the pope shit in the woods?

Cortana is now part of search engine and it looks like you screwed up the Windows installation.

Also, Group Policies takes priority over registry, so I would suggest using GP first. Especially wtih Cortana that takes only few policies to disable and one rule in firewall to prevent pinging for checking if she is up to date.

Of course not, he's a civilised person and is using a toilet.

Im sorry for posting again, but I couldnt find that info. I mean, I run into actual problems people encountered but no "compilation" of instructions. Perhaps Im searching it wrong wrong.

I feel really bad asking for spoonfeeding right now. Im really sorry.

the xbox app has a pretty decent screen recorder overlay (when it works.) it's pretty nice to have one installed with the OS. you don't even need a microsoft account to access the recordings.

I used github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking , which is basically a compilation of ps1 scripts that either disable or remove all the metro shit no one needs.