Unix is love - /bsd/

Unix is love - /bsd/

How's your fearless leader Randi Harper doing these days? Is bsjwd still only used by cucks?

Is Debian/Kfreebsd a thing still?

last time I checked it was.
gentoo has a varient that uses freebsd kernel also, but last time I tried that the bootloader failed to compile & install.

It's still a joke, tho. Don't bother with it. You'll waste your time, beat your pc to death in frustration, buy a new PC, and just end up installing another BSD anyway.

Daily reminder that macOS is the best unix based OS out there

they kicked "it" out

Can't get virtualbox guest additions to work.

Also I keep getting "error code 1" from ports.

Pretty gay

>Bugs that cause kernel panics take over 30 days to fix
Just no.

i installed freebsd for the first time a few months ago, and honestly i was super impressed by it.

partly because of the license, a whole lot of innovative features get created for the BSDs and only later make their way into linux. kqueue, ZFS, jails, LLVM toolchain, pf, i could go on... also, the documentation is cohesive and generally superb.

give FreeBSD or one of the BSDs a try sometime if you haven't.

I keep going back and forth on trying one of the BSDs. The only think keeping me away is the idea that most developers seem to stick to Linux, so it may not workout in a workplace environment.

how is the linux binary emulation speed / support for everything in general for openbsd?

my arch install got fucked up because of gpu libraries not updating properly when i switched cards and i didnt feel like fixing it so i switched to debian since i wanted to try and get xen hypervisor working (which it didnt), so im thinking i want to try and switch to openbsd now but not if there's barely any support for it

linux binary support was removed in 6.0 completely.
i believe netbsd has the layer, and im sure freebsd does but i do believe it is very old

I will set up Ubuntu GNOME and GhostBSD MATE dualboot tonight.

WEW

what made you pick this version of BSD? why not simply build the system you need from FreeBSD?

dang

do most programs have up to date ports then? i wont bother if its gonna be a pain in the ass i guess, i was thinking about using qubes instead

i dont have any idea on how usable it actually is but i think i heard someone claim its pretty good

i'm not entirely sure myself.
OpenBSD is the best of the BSDs to use for laptops or portable devices, but I'd personally stick to FreeBSD unless it is a laptop.

Rather than bottom up, I tend to like top-down approach these days. So want a batteries included unix that has MATE.

I will install compiz on it though.

Just keep BSD in a VM and only fire it up when you need the BSD features (you don't need them)

Thats what all the other Macfags that pretend to use UNIX do.

A lot of standard programs have binary packages, although not clear how up to date they are

Im using it on my laptop right now. The wireless driver for my card is unstable as fuck and synaptics support seems pretty iffy, although i only installed yesterday so this might be fixed with configuration. At the moment i cant right click or tap to click

Probably going to compile current later in the week to see if they have improved the wireless thing, there is a newer port of firmware on it

FreeBSD is only used by technology-focused companies, if you work in a normal enterprise/organization FreeBSD will never even be considered.

yeah, seems like most places use Ubuntu or osx

Well i got the touchpad working, after this post i thought id try again

It can actually do a lot more than i have ever used it for and i feel like i might actually be able to use it without killing myself now

For some reason xorg.conf isnt working properly so i have to use a script to set shit with synclient

Most of the xfce settings dont seem to work either, but i only really use it for the wm anyway so dont much care

everything about bsd is great, but license sucks, anyone can just take your code and do anything with it... mainly that, everything else is okay, its best unix out there... i switched back to gentoo because of hardware compability...

> its best unix out there
> switched back to gentoo because of hardware compability

If you want xen use Fedora

>anyone can just take your code
>and do anything with it
Once they start doing stuff with that code it stops being yours
in fact, it was never yours
faggit

FreeBSD has Xen.

American: Look at this quantum fussion reactor!

China man: *paints red* Ohh sank yuu!

American: wait, youre going to sell that?

China man: dis my invention round eye, you no make this, i modify!!

American: Fuck this, im going to make my software as copyrighted or ill go with gnu to allow protect the software after i cant develp it anymore

refer
what a cuk

Just tried FreeBSD
1. The screen resolution was not detected. Xrandr might help.
2. WiFi was not detected. I tried enabling WiFi though.
3. For some reason there seemed to be an input latency in keyboard.

yea but why are apple's peripherals so fucking GAY? do they make a buttplug you have up your ass while you took this?