Who here has Windows 8.1? Why? Why not?

Who here has Windows 8.1? Why? Why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AHR2gCVSvEs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because it works

I have, it's shit.

Stop being a faggot and run Windows 10. Most memesters are so stupid they don't know how to even stop the offending services on their own. Besides, Microsoft is known to have backdoors since windows 95 so it's not like Windows 7 are miraculously gonna be OpenBSD in privacy just because your cognitive dissonance is on overdrive.

8.1 is genuinely my favorite version of Windows and I don't understand the hate. It is incredibly easy to add the old start menu back and then it looks and acts like W7 but with all the under the hood improvements and nice things like the new task manager. Nothing gimmicky like Cortana and telemetry is able to be disabled too.

And honestly after taking some time to organize the tiles nicely with a cool background I actually don't even mind the start menu it's kind of futuristic feeling if a bit unnecessary.

Every six months I'm allowed to get a free Pro license from my university so I've stocked up on several codes. I plan to ride it until support ends.

This is not the Windows 7 thread:

those licenses work on 10.

I know you faggots would be here so I was proactive.

The GUI of 8 sucks even more than 7 and 10.
Garbage/10

Same, I recently got a Microsoft Imagine account, so free licenses and all. Been deciding which version to install and honestly this might just be the one for me, because I give not 2 fucks about the start menu (which I can change and I don't even use more than twice a week maybe) and 8.1 is the only version I remember having installed without a single reason to switch after a long while.

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe some people dislike other things about 10 than backdoors? Like you are the only person that knows that several OSes have backdoors and not just 10? I mean for real now.

Windows 8.1 with shell will be the last consumer level Windows worth using.

From here on out, Server editions are the only acceptable Windows editions.

I can't believe people pirate anything but Server 2016.

Actually though I will offer one big critique and that is the poor choices microsoft made in not clearly letting users choose between metro and desktop versions of some apps. My grandfather was very frustrated because internet explorer kept bringing him to the shitty metro version. Once I changed skype and IE to the desktop versions for him though and showed him how you can right click on the windows logo to access all the functions like shutting down, task manager, etc he liked 8.1 a lot more. They should really do a better job "teaching" users how to use it.

It's a win win. If I ever want to get 10 I can just upgrade to it with the same license.

every windows version had some sort of backdoor. The difference is that W10 is blatant and also has adware built in.

I disagree. 7 is just glossy shit, it makes you switch to classic theme. 10 is flat garbage, perhaps worse than material design even. Too monochrome.

it has the same telemetry shit as 10 does.

I didn't say I like 7 or 10. It's just that I dislike 8 more.

>I can't believe people pirate anything but Server 2016.

Why would they? It's a server OS. It doesn't even perform as well as the usual versions for desktop oriented tasks and games which, let's be honest, it's what most people who use windows at home enjoy.

Oh ok.

>doesn't even perform as well as the usual versions for desktop
[Citation Needed]

the TOP OS ever made.
Configure the settings and the services, remove app and OH BOY...get ready to party!

people who dislikes Metro are to dump to change, funny thing is the use a "Smartphone" where the main screen and the apps menu are literally the same thing kek.
the Metro was the best thing ever make for organize software, "apps" and custom shortcuts. Leaving the desktop clean for current work in progress.

Metro in W10 is just a mistake, full or semi-full window.

W8.1 gives you freedom not like the W10 and recently W7. My pc only have 1 update, stock anti-virus disable, and never add any problems or bugs.

The only thing i miss is the feacture W8 had, it was select multiple blocks in Metro.

If you think about it, with the amount of revenue and data they get from their users, they should provide better services. If they're tracking so much, it used to be like "oh, we just do it so you have less trouble and you let us know what you want out of our operating system" but in the end it's the same garbage with a similar or worse level of stability.

Where bugging them constantly, offering everything you can about one feature won't actually change anything, perhaps because they don't even know how to do it. Yeah that's right, I'm calling these nignogs "not good enough to fiddle with their own operating system".

Sorry to bring this faggot to prove my point, but:

youtube.com/watch?v=AHR2gCVSvEs

Forgot to say since i use W8.1, i can sleep in total silence, when the computer is turn on (restart/sign out the PC every month)

When i stop using the PC, after 30 mins and if no software is runnig, it kinda enters on stand by mode(u can say iddle mode), where it doesnt do anything, just waits for user to do stuff, until then the HDD doesn't move(cant hear shit), no network traffic, memory with 10%(8GB RAM).

Even linux cant compare, every distro i used, at night the PC runs at full speed, it started to happen at 1 year, since that i never gone to linux(still miss a bit, since i done most the suff on terminal).

>This is not the Windows 7 thread:
The thread number you posted looks like the Windows 7 thread to me.

> Linus fans are so stupid that they believe that test is even remotely unbiased

I do not mean Linus is biased. The technical base of the whole test is biased.

You can't fucking do that test when the background services are not same.

Faster and lighter than both 7 and 10, runs everything I need, very convenient menu when you right click the start button, no telemetry(I don't update it). 8 was a clusterfuck though, too many settings removed for no reason, you couldn't even reset the wi-fi password. This probably left a bad impression on a lot of people.

>Faster and lighter than both 7 and 10

10 was the fastest with the lowest latency before it was even released, let alone now

But it's faggotry to think it even matters, just run anti-spy software and all are light.

Windows 8.1 Update 2 fixed most of the bullshit bugs. However, the UI is succ and looks horrible with huge borders and full screen metro apps.

Windows 10 fixed the cancer.

I have never seen a single version of windows since Windows 3.1 (I'm old) that is not better than the previous one. All the hate about "botnet" and whatnot are stupid memes. Windows was always bloatware - more or less per version - but in every single version we had to do the work and remove the bloatware services manually.

> Windows 10 fixed the cancer.
Cancer can't fix cancer, man. Now there are more UWP than ever before.

>Why?
It was the first step to having saner keyboard controls in Windows.
>Why not?
Because it was the first step to wincucks 10

PS. Exception. Windows ME. That shit was bloat and unnecessary.

Can you remove Cortana out of W10 without breaking the search?

What memesters don't get is that Microsoft upgrades everything incrementally just like Linux does. Then they stick a Label to the current version and sell it as new, just like Distros do. Henceforth, it's actually stupid to take sides about them, they are all the same, they are full of shitty stuff, so stop being a faggot, use the latest version and do the minor work needed to remove the shitty services.

Hey!
Fuck you!

I was going to reply to your comment with an actual argument but windows needs to update right now

>I don't update it

Question:

Do you not update it since 8.1 update 1, or do you not update since some point after that?

I have access to this "Windows 8.1 Professional with Update 32/64-bit" and honestly I'm not sure which updates it includes aside from that one where the OS was pretty much fixed and all it needed was security updates.

Some time ago, I was playing around with 8.1 and I didn't know whether it was an update or some stupid program, that even on SSD files would take a year to open. I never knew what was the cause of it, because I decided to, instead, switch to some other OS.

The UI might suck, but at least you can change it.

Windows 10 UI also sucks, but good luck doing that change without it breaking every half a year.

In short, you can fix 8.1, you can't fix 10.

>Windows 8.1 Professional with Update 32/64-bit
That's what I have. Installed and disabled windows update service and BITS immediately.
Nobody uses apps even in W10. Borders are tunable.

It's getting a bit obvious there, just saying. Change the length of your posts or something. Between this thread and the Windows 7 one...

Do you use some other antivirus than windows defender?

I don't download random shit but you know, always concerned. Last year I got an actual trojan after 6 years, guess my common sense ain't updated enough.

I use neither.