Hey user. You like technology, are studying IT or CS but work in retail. Why?

Hey user. You like technology, are studying IT or CS but work in retail. Why?

I have no direction in life

Kek. I'm a highly paid software engineer. Your turn.

Actually I have a $20/hr CS internship

I'm actually a researcher.

Im 21 years old and I get 7 euros an hour at domino's. Kill me.

This is just my experience but,

when you enjoy something and do it for money, it gets ruined. Suddenly you're faced with arbitrary deadlines, crazy demands from an ignorant boss, and stress. Plus many IT jobs mean you're taking it home with you. You're never totally "off the clock" because you have to respond to server alarms etc if they occur.

I'd rather take less pay to work a stress free job that I don't have to take home with me.

When I clock out I get to go home and work on my homelab, or programming projects or whatever. I haven't used up all my energy at work getting burned out on IT, so I can come home and do it for fun.

I know the aspect of taking less money is a deal breaker for most people, but I'm currently single with no dependents and no debt, so I'm beholden to no one.

...I'm a sysadmin

you work in retail or something?

this.

Lot's of IT companies are small companies that do the heavy work for bigger companies, so good luck trying to innovate or even maintaining some quality.

Truth is unless you work for some unicorn startup, and bear all the ridicule monetary and emotional costs associated with it, most projects you work on is giving life support to legacy systems.

Because I had no direction in life going into college so I took whatever classes I thought were interesting at the time without thinking about future career prospects.
This was about a decade ago when "do what you like" and "any college degree is fine" were still relevant memes.

I've got a BS Psychology and I am well rounded, can speak and write and the like, but the jobs that interest me just aren't here.

So I work a shit retail job, 2 actually, so that I can survive. Then I work my ass off in my little free time doing the thing I now love in hopes that I can someday break my way into the industry.

Fuck me for working retail right?

I dick around in computer shit. No formal education beyond high school. My dad is an engineer and he works me into his contracts to do basic computer shit and I get paid. Life is good.

Honestly take up hobbies or something

If there's only one thing that makes you happy in life, maybe you gotta step outside of your comfort zone. You never know what you'll find.

I love my job as a software developer. It pays the bills and more. I am taking improv classes on the side, and I do stand up comedy every now and then. I also started a lacrosse club for guys over 25.

I do understand you though. I don't ever want the feeling I get when I write code to fade away.

>just aren't here.
why not move?

I don't work.

Only the first one is true for me.

I only studied CS because computers were the only thing that remotely interested me when I finished highschool. I never had any intentions on working on anything related to it.

I work in the traffic sector. I'm not a nigger.

I use Sup Forums

I just got out of retail into a service desk job at an it firm. Start tomorrow

I used to work in retail. No one there had any drive or passion for success. It's incredible how low the "bottom of the barrel" self-esteem is in those kind of people.

Studying IT and working in IT.

Because that's the only work in my area unless you're a member of one of the local mega churches (they fund worldwide mission trips out the ass and people usually volunteer to stay there "to spread God's will").

i dont work in retail faggot

Hard to do if you're not in the ideal living circumstances.

They're stuck in retail user. All a "drive for success" gets you there is your co workers contempt and the company more money. You get nothing for it.

Never worked in retail so my opinion is probably worthless. Im a trainee software dev at a cloud computing company.

hah, I get 3.5€ an hour writing software
someone remind me again why I should continue living like this

get a trip

No user, I work in IT but don't study shit.