So would you go for a Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming or MSI Z270 SLI plus motherboard

So would you go for a Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming or MSI Z270 SLI plus motherboard

I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte because it has a S/PIDF connector.

MSI BIOSes are shit

actually the msi bios Im using is pretty fucking great. it just werkz

the cheaper one
They're both just pieces of fiberglass with Z270 chips glued on

They all work, he's referring to the aesthetics probably, the one and only rule of comparing BIOS'es

Yeah its pretty ugly. Black and white.

Gaming Motherboards are a scam.
Get the cheapest one which suits your needs.

Exactly. It's not a deal breaker but it's a negative point among many factors personally

im sorry that your poor

having gone through two gigabyte z170x gaming and x99 gaming motherboards i recommend the msi.

gigabyte bioses is EXTREMELY finicky on ram and xmp profiles. i went through a total of seven different ram kits and tried a plethora of different bios versions, including beta ones that you can only find on gigabytes tweaktown bios thread. i kept having the same issues:
>gigabyte set bizarre timings on the other timings, not just the regular 10-10-10-2n type that caused random BSOD's occasionally and it was a pain trying to set those timings manually
>XMP profiles on six out of the seven kits refused to work. always causing the bios to become corrupt and having to be reset
>on the z170 it took a beta bios only available on gigabytes tweaktown bios thread to stop the bios from randomly corrupting itself and resetting back to default after the tenth reboot. it was like clockwork.

i ended up going back to asus. it was funny, with the SAME exact corsair quad channel kit on my x99 asus strix that i used on my previous gigabyte x99 gaming motherboard, i saw a 30% increase in ram performance in aida64 thanks to asus using sane, stable, correct timings out of the box.

thank you

Works on my machine
Maybe it's because you got the "gaming" one

My XMP setting automatically figured out frequency and timings just fine
GA-Z170M-D3H motherboard, ultra durable line

Windows or Linux? I ask because my experience with Gigabyte and Linux has been miserable.If I enable IOMMU,only USB 2.0 works and I get frequent errors during boot. If I disable it, USB 3.0 and everything boots consistently fine. But either way, I only have use of half of my USB ports.

here,
Actually that did happen, I got a boot loop when I enabled XMP, but it always reset the XMP setting on the second bootup. A BIOS update fixed this, apparently my motherboard's original bios didn't have as much ram compatibility as the new bios update
Check your motherboard website, mine had a huge list of specifically compatible ram and frequencies
Also the skylake platform isn't all consistent in ram voltages, I think X99 has more compatibility options (aside from XMP)

So the CPU performs better with gigabyte but the ram performs better with ASUS?

>CPU performs better with gigabyte
nigger what? look at those again. cpu scores are very similar but gigabyte failed horribly with the ram.

>hurr latest bios and quailed ram!
yes to both. the ram was on gigabytes verified list and i had tried four different bioses before switching to the x99. those screenshots where done with the latest beta bios for the x99 gaming since i too had the every tenth reboot bios corrupt on the x99 like i did on the z170x.

really sad since i had a x97 ud5h with my old 4790k and that thing was rock solid. asus has been fine so far with both my x99 strix and sabertooth s z170.

The CPU scores are 100% in gigabytes favor

Like I said, works on my machine
You should've rma'ed it while you had the chance instead of convincing yourself that's how gigabyte motherboards are supposed to run

Many mobos slightly overclock the CPU when applying xmp

are you high?
gigabyte
L1
>read: 1326.7 gb/s
>write: 674.77 gb/s
>copy: 1348.6 gb/s
>1.1 ns

L2
>read: 479.02 gb/s
>write: 213.60 gb/s
>copy: 305.17 gb/s
>3.3 ns

L3
>read: 229.38 gb/s
>write: 131.41 gb/s
>copy: 172.03 gb/s
>16.3

asus
L1
>read: 1326.8 gb/s
>write: 674.77 gb/s
>copy: 1348.6 gb/s
>1.1 ns

L2
>read: 489.49 gb/s
>write: 214.22 gb/s
>copy: 309.95 gb/s
>3.4 ns

L3
>read: 249.00 gb/s
>write: 135.09 gb/s
>copy: 162.01 gb/s
>16.2

difference:
L1
>gigabyte read: 1326.7 gb/s vs asus read: 1326.8 gb/s - +0.1 for asus
>gigabyte write: 674.77 gb/s vs asus write: 674.77 gb/s - tie
>gigabyte copy: 1348.6 gb/s vs asus copy: 1348.6 gb/s - tie
>gigabyte 1.1ns vs asus 1.1ns - tie

L2
>gigabyte read: 479.02 gb/s vs asus read: 489.49 gb/s - +10.47 for asus
>gigabyte write: 213.60 gb/s vs asus write: 214.22 gb/s - +0.62 for asus
>gigabyte copy: 305.17 gb/s vs asus copy: 309.95 gb/s - +4.78 for asus
>gigabyte 3.3ns vs asus 3.4ns - +0.1 for gigabyte

L3
>gigabyte read: 229.38 gb/s vs asus read: 249.00 gb/s - +19.62 for asus
>gigabyte write: 131.41 gb/s vs asus write: 135.09 gb/s - +3.68 for asus
>gigabyte copy: 172.03 gb/s vs asus copy: 162.01 gb/s - +10.02 for gigabyte
>gigabyte 16.3ns vs asus 16.2ns - +0.1 for asus

if anything asus did better.

I would always choose Gigabyte over MSI.
onboard sound is shit.

>EXTREMELY finicky on ram and xmp profiles.
Can confirm, but this was never an issue outside swapping RAM for different timing, and a BIOS update. Is this still an issue even? I had the X58 chipsets, and had the problems you describe. But that's like 8 year old hardware

like i said, didn't work on my machine. two gigabyte z170x's and two x99 gamings. both returned within the 30 day window with amazon prime. which was nice since i didn't have to return the product back before i can order a replacement. asus just werked.

also the ram kits where a mixture of corsair and gskill. gskill ripjaws and trident and corsair platinum and vengeance. never mixed the ram either.
>pic related
one of the ktis

My next rig coming up will have the Aorus GA-Z270X Gaming 7

The MSI board looks better.

Yeah the gaming motherboard suited my need

It has stuff like better integrated sound, different options for IO, heatsinks for OC

Choose based on what you are getting with your motherboard not memes about "gaymen"

>integrated sound,
stop right there

ALC 1150 is pretty good mane

Dont mater. unshielded crap. noise. hiss. need an amp to use good headphones anyway, so need an amp, and might as well get a dac.

>not using a usb audio interface and studio monitors

The circuitry is separated so no hiss

hiss

Unless it has shielding all over, separating the circuitry aint gonna help

>not going X99 in the first place

J U M P E R S

in 2017!

>those smooth lines in the pcb
what the fug

SuperMicro, bitches!

Best and most based Mobo brand.

wow. they went from making dull, buggy server boards to this?

This. Did you actually read the specs? Do you really need thunderbolt and support for like 6SATA drives and protocols you don't use?

Oh, it's the LED's that are worth that price, right? Carry on.

What RAM kit are you using? I dropped some 4x4 Vengeance in mine but the XMP profiles simply do not function on boot, I had to manually set the timings I knew how as well as my frequency. No biggy, but it'd be nice to know that my RAM was functioning exactly as intended.

I have a faulty Gigabyte board that has a hum in it. Real bummer after buying a new analogue headset.

CD INSTALLER UEFI THEME FROM THE 90s

This is what retards actually believe.

So I'll buy a gaming mobo then...