Emacs Thread

There's a vim thread, so we need an Emacs thread. Questions and screenshots welcome.

I just converted from vim recently and already I'm finding the lack of vim's mode system really nice, as well as the frame system and e-lisp. I think I'm adapting to it pretty well, but still need to work at moving more of my workflow to Emacs. Right now in addition to editing text I just compile things and do some git stuff from M-x term, any advice?

Also if the vim users here to talk shit about Emacs despite never having tried it would just fuck off that would be great.

Pic related is my setup, doom one color scheme, rust mode, company, and a few other tweaks.

Other urls found in this thread:

emacswiki.org/emacs/VimMode
jesshamrick.com/images/emacs/emacs-terminology.png
jesshamrick.com/2012/09/10/absolute-beginners-guide-to-emacs/
emacswiki.org/emacs/Magit
emacswiki.org/emacs/Evil
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's next, a notepad.exe thread?

>rust
leave

this is actually a good idea

I tried emacs for a few days and didn't like it. Then I tried it for 3 months and hated it. My complaints are: extensions are very low-quality. For example. geiser would hang randomly while doing nothing, which in turn would hang emacs as a whole (despite the concurrency meme). This has been a recurrent theme.
Control scheme is dogshit, period. It's not borderline unusable, it's plain unusable.
Evil mode is a very poor imitation of vim controls, nevermind the incompatibilities with the logical functions of other extensions.
The default modes are a joke. Protip emacstards: tabs for indenting, spaces for aligning. Space-only fags deserve the death penalty.
Finally, the abysmal support for working in terminals is disgraceful.

However I love the elisp and multifont, and the usually more powerful extensions. Smartindent is great and orgmode is downright unparalleled. The integrated package manager is also a godsend.

Overall, I still prefer vim, but I always reevaluate whether I should move to emacs because vim is always chuckfull of bugs (the program itself, rather than the extensions which are usually significantly more polished than the emacs ones).

vim is a lot better, emacs is putrid

Rust is the best language ever made. Fuck off shill. Remacs master race.

>abysmal support for working in terminals
Did you even try using Emacs over ssh? Emacs-nox on the terminal works fantastically.

In a terminal, emacs has tons of limitations, with regard to colors, use of keybinds (esc doesn't work in keybinds for instance, except with a set of horrible hacks as performed by evil-mode), commands and controls. I don't know what emacs-nox is or if it differs from emacs. If not then that's that.

I'm just starting with Emacs. But the default keybinding for simple text editing are so shit, that I basically have to use evil-mode if I want to be productive.

I absolutely love Magit for git work (and evil-magit to go along with it because I will never give up modal editing. Too comfy.)

OP of vim thread here.
Linus torvalds uses Emacs.

openbsd ships nvi and mg, a tiny emacs clone, because "there shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi."

a good reason

Who uses vi/vim then?

Linus and rms.

Why would RMS use vim when he is the person who created emacs?

That looks pretty nice I'll have to try it. I tried evil in the past after using vim, but it got too messy for me because you still need emacs editor commands as well, then I tried full emacs and haven't looked back since.

I've been using emacs for about a decade. I occasionally have to curse Saint IGNUcius when my emacs.d gets out of control.

Emacs + Clojure(script) + REPL is really comfy for dev work.

elfeed plugin for RSS reading

Mu4e plugin for email.

Still haven't converted to ERC or FF/Chome keybindings yet.

nice font size in your emacs

monospace-16pt is actually pretty comfy.

I tend to have a projector on most of the time when working (movies/yt/streams) - so I can throw it up on the projector and work and still read it without contacts.

Also I tend to be able to think better about my code when it's in visibly large chunks.

MS Word default of 12px and the eye straining hethens who run 10px be damned.

Hi there fellow emacsen

Probably one of the best things you can do to improve your Emacs skills is to read the entire Emacs User Manual and Emacs Lisp Manual. You don't need to and probably shouldn't try to read it all at once, but read a chapter a day or something.

>Protip emacstards: tabs for indenting, spaces for aligning.
First of all, your taste is shit. Second of all, complaining about something that is literally toggled by a single option makes you a retard or an asshole, probably both. Third of all, Emacs indents with tabs by default, you retarded piece of shit.

Emacs has the same limitations as Vim in a terminal, except Emacs actually has far better terminal support than Vim. Hell, Vim doesn't even support 256 colors in terminals automatically, and don't even bother trying to run Vim on non-UTF-8 terminals.

>installed emacs to check it out
>navigating through gui menus
>see "calendar"
>"what? why? if you want a calendar just type cal in a terminal"
>see "email"
>what? why? if you want an email client just install and type mutt in a terminal"

then I uninstalled and went back to vim

The point is that emacs isn't a default, you can't just ssh and open emacs on a production system, because it wouldn't be there.

you may not know this but emacs is the native DE of the gnu/hurd distribution

I really want to use emacs, but I'm so used to vim...
> ctrl + key
> meta + key

these things are hardest to adapt for me...
I have leader key set in my vim config, but I rarely use it.

Also, I failed to set up eclim in emacs, but succeeded in vim.

So... how to rewire my brain in to use emacs more comfortably than vim?

why not just change the bindings?

emacswiki.org/emacs/VimMode

One more thing, I don't know LISP, so I don't understand emacs config file...

Emacs is too heavy for his MIPS Longdong netbook.

why did you copy the looks of Atom and Sublime?

spacemacs

Why does spacemacs come up?
How do I actually install it?
I donloaded spacemacs and it now populates emacs.d

Now what's the correlation to vim?

vim keybindings and other stuff
You have to read the install guide closer, there's some cli fuckery and a restart

Any quick start guide?
I'm reading this right now.

vimtutor was comfy btw
jesshamrick.com/images/emacs/emacs-terminology.png

the website

I mean
jesshamrick.com/2012/09/10/absolute-beginners-guide-to-emacs/

Not besides what spacemacs gives you at the new splash screen, I don't actually use it really

Install use package.

Specify all packages you use in your init. You will get the same emacs env on every machine that way.

Projectile, ivy, counsel, swiper are godly.

Also a reminder that emacs isn't a text editor. It's a totally customisable environment that includes the ability to edit text. Emacs holds no opinion on how this should be done.

Also being able to browse documentation in emacs is super important. All packages tend to have good docs l.

To learn lisp is to learn emacs.

Unironically used exwm for a long time. Always having a scratch buffer available was a dream come true.

Use spacemacs

emacs gave him rsi.

>toggled by a single option
If only. You have to toggle it manually for each filetype because pretty much all filetype-specific modes override the default settings

What the fuck am I reading. vim has supported 256 color terminals based on $TERM since forever. Vim does not have problems with the esc key unlike emacs. Vim doesn't have problems replicating a color scheme in terminals except in esoteric ones. Vim doesn't have limitations on commands either. Plus, because its command scheme isn't retarded by default, it works significantly better in a terminal than emacs, due to things like tabs, but also for plain window switching. Not to mention undo history and buffers. Unlike emacs, all vim plugins work in terminals. Emacs support for terminals is so bad you might as well just pretend it doesn't exist. On the other hand, vim in terminal is the preferred mode of operation.

How did you configured your fonts in X this way? I mean rendering settings.

Emacs is a good operating system. Too bad it lacks a decent text editor.

>subdued parens
The epiphany of learning to read Lisp by the indentation instead of having to focus on the parens anymore. Pure beauty.

Emacs has an excellent editor written for it, it's called evil-mode, check it out. Vim fans love it.

he actually did it the absolute madman hahahahahahaha!

This is my Emacs. Colorscheme is 'gotham-theme', font is 'M+ 1m'.

Evil is dogshit. It's a joke, plain and simple, unlike vim.

what font is that?

>On the other hand, vim in terminal is ONLY mode of operation.
Fixed, the only reason you're complaining is because Vim's GUI is a joke. The reason Emacs's GUI has features the terminal version doesn't is because of physical limitations of terminals. Emacs can't do anything about that.

>vim has supported 256 color terminals based on $TERM since forever
Wiki says you have to set t_Co=256, so not automatically. Emacs has supported automatic detection and support for a long time.

>Vim does not have problems with the esc key unlike emacs.
Emacs doesn't either; terminals have problems with esc.

>Vim doesn't have problems replicating a color scheme in terminals except in esoteric ones.
Neither does Emacs. Not only does it adapt to 256 colors, it also adapts to 16 colors.

>Vim doesn't have limitations on commands either.
kek, Vim commands aren't even comparable with Emacs commands, which are first class functions.

>Not to mention undo history and buffers.
A Vim user talking about undo history and buffers when shit-talking Emacs. Next you'll tell me Vim has macros (protip: Emacs keyboard macros make Vim look like a joke)

>you can't just ssh and open emacs on a production system, because it wouldn't be there.

Lmao.
Why are people on Sup Forums so desperate to voice their opinion despite being absolutely clueless on the topic?
Is this the famous Mount Stupid?

C-x C-f
/ssh:[email protected]:/whatever/path/you/wish
RET

If it's a file, it will open the file as expected.
If it's a directory, it will switch to DIRED.

what guarantee you have that the remote machine you will be connecting to will have your-editor-of-choice? None.
tramp supports ftp, ssh, rlogin and telnet, so just take your editor with you.

Frequently taking your work home?
Set up an emacs server on your workstation and connect your local emacsclient to a remote session and continue work exactly where you left off.

Vimexicans on suicide watch.

Mfw we successfully shill solus

He uses a t40 thinkpad now.

you could use magit for git stuff:
emacswiki.org/emacs/Magit
also evil mode could give you vim bindings:
emacswiki.org/emacs/Evil

I love emacs.

But how do I get tramp to work properly? Sometimes, I'll open and edit a file, but do not have the appropriate permissions to save (system file like fstab for instance). I've looked it up in the past and various sites talk about 'M-x tramp' but this never really works. I'd like to know the preferred way of escalating permissions with Emacs, rather than running as root.