So, has anyone written anything decent on .NET for Linux yet? It's officially Open Source now...

So, has anyone written anything decent on .NET for Linux yet? It's officially Open Source now. It supposedly runs anywhere.

I hope it included WPF.

That thing is amazing.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.qt.io/blog/2010/10/26/qt-is-going-modular/
github.com/ShareX/ShareX/issues/2217
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

go fuck yourself shill

why would I use anything else than Qt

KeePass and Docky run on Mono. KeePass has some dodgy as fuck behavior, but Docky is pretty solid (when it's supported).

WPF isn't open source. I think the point of .NET core is mostly the fact that you can write and run ASP.NET applications on more platforms now.
Hopefully we'll get some .NET core bindings for Qt at some point.

>It's officially Open Source now.

which is a pittance of a gesture at best given bad the c#/.net experience was for *years*, if it didn't run on mono (which was likely the case) it didn't run at all

that said, it will also take *years* before any major programs start to pop up given that only >4.6 is in an open licence and even .net 3.5 applications are incredibly common, just like bash for windows 10 (but less shit) this is only really going to appeal to people who want to be on windows but need to use ganoo/loonix for whatever reason

Qt is bloatware and a cheap knock-off.

Fuck mono. It's a knock off. .NET core is now on the MIT license.

WPF is just the best GUI framework on the planet. If it was MIT licensed in full and working on Linux I guarantee you that 90%+ of anything released today would be done on WPF (it's already the platform of choice for anything modern on the Windows Desktop, including Visual Studio itself).

But, it may be hard to do it because it requires to fiddle with the underlying 3D frameworks. OpenGL might be an idea, but still it would be a lot of work.

Alternatively, they don't want to go there because they first wants to see about core. What is certain is that they got scared of their Windows-centrism.

>only >4.6

That's a minor problem. It runs on anything better than a Windows 7 SP1 and it runs on all the other supported platforms like Linux.

I mean, if you're going to develop something big today, it's not like you're gonna finish tomorrow.

Most big projects won't care that you are still stuck on Windows XP.

U can't make .NET GUI application in Linux with MS only tools now.

I am just way too annoyed that they dont have really good incremental compilation like Eclipse has with java.
It's such a huge difference, I dont get it

>Qt
>Bloat
I am 100% sure you haven't written a single piece of software

Stop shilling micrcock garbage

I don't do programming, because only nerds do it.

Better than playing video games, manchild

When I was writing assembler code for the x86_64 you were still a toddler.

Just like you, I'm hoping that it's somehow possible to port WPF to Linux. I've just started fiddling with it and so far I really like it.

When I was designing amd64 you were still a toddler

It's just the best GUI framework ever conceived. At the very least people should be copy-catting it. I guess they are too stupid and they are confused by the Model-View-ViewModel concept but it's worth it.

I actually meant it. I was the one that ported Quake 3 GPL'ed into 64bit (the vm part).

Then stop saying this you have no idea about
blog.qt.io/blog/2010/10/26/qt-is-going-modular/

Does this mean that WINE will no longer need .NET to run windows application?

isnt rad studio better?

/thread

.NET Core is promising, but it isn't mature enough for production environments.

We're currently in the process of rewriting a bunch of our legacy applications at work, and they need to run on Linux.
We narrowed it down to Java or C# pretty quickly, but .NET Core was only out for Red Hat ~6 months at that point, and the last two updates had breaking changes, so we were not comfortable going that route.

tl;dr: hold off on .NET Core for now. Give it a few years to make sure everything is stable and mature.

The majority of Windows applications do not use .NET. When Wine runs a .NET application, it does so by calling into Mono. That said, .NET Core doesn't really have binary compatibility with the .NET Framework as Mono does. It's more suited for new projects, not for running old shit.

>I hope it included WPF.

github.com/ShareX/ShareX/issues/2217

lmao
m
a
o

huh
So I must not care about .NET seriously and stay with Java.
Thanks.

We are moving from C#+WPF+Windows to C#+Node.js+linux+any browser at my job, mainly because UWP is a pile of shit (one or our clients aptly described it as "looks like a dove shit all over my screen and I can't see any text smaller than an inch") and windows server price, usability and licensing is getting worse every year.

You also need to forget about most of the easy and ready libraries you get on .net working without changes or at all on linux, wanna do GUIs? FUCK YOU too. Support is iffy at best right now, the consolation prize is that it is improving fast.

Unless you have tons of code that not rely that much on .net libraries or need any GUI forget about it and use anything else.

unless microsoft take it further in the future, only use .net if you really want to,

but if you want a gui, use another framework, or just run a webserver