Post glaring issues that Linux has

Post glaring issues that Linux has

>That fucking old outdated permission system

Other urls found in this thread:

wayland.freedesktop.org/architecture.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What exactly is your issue with the permission system?

How should it work then?

chown is to difficult :'(

X, Alsa, Shit drivers

screen tearing
near deaf audio
wasted space by global/title bars
retarded UI design that hinders workflow
step away from Debian ecosystem and you are fucked

Are you the same guy who made that "why are git/ssh/gpg so difficult" thread?

ACLs so you don't have combinatorial explosion.

>Can't assign multiple users permissions to a dir without making a whole new group for it
>Permissions are extremely broad, can only define read write and execute whereas Windows can define read/write/create/delete/read-attributes and a bunch of other fine tuning options

using esoteric jargon doesn't make you smart.

explaining esoteric jargon makes you smart.

making a group is literally a single command

do you even root, bro?

You really should read the manual before attempting critique.

>Can't assign multiple users permissions to a dir without making a whole new group for it
man setfacl
>create/delete
Defined by the permissions of the parent directory.

>can only define read write and execute
There's also +t and +s.

>thinks having to manually create a new group for every folder that requires permission from more than 1 person is a good idea

>old outdated permission system
it's literally perfect
user, group, all
read, write, execute, setuid, setgid

there's access control list if you want to try something "new" but I don't know shit about it

>inb4 active directory
I really don't get the hype

>inb4 active directory
>I really don't get the hype
It's just a marketing-drone name for the combination of several technologies, like CIFS, DNS, Kerberos and Microsoft's deployment management mechanism ("Group Policies"), all of which have multiple open source equivalents.

Using jargon might not make me smart, but not knowing what technical terms mean and just using the word "esoteric" to rationalize make you dumb. And not asking nicely for an explanation (which is okay and no reason for embarrassment - no one is born knowing everything) and instead behaving like a faggot make you really dumb.

cant agree on a fucking packaging format.
upgrading your distro will likely fuck your shit up.
Also x.org is still default in most places.

>Debian
Apt based distros are already fucked m8. Fedora and Arch-based ones are thriving.

You have UAC turned off too eh?

>Delete permissions can only be tuned to an entire directory

THE WORLD'S MOST ADVANCED OPERATING SYSTEM

>Also x.org is still default in most places
That I can concede. X11 is garbage.

However I already dread the flood of luddite manchildren who will complain about Wayland on Sup Forums 24/7 because their autism prevents them from learning new things, like systemd.

>Fedora
kek

Write permission implies deletion.
What's the point of protection against deletion but allowing writes?

>what is sticky bit
just stop

Name one bad thing about Fedora that isn't a neckbear meme or systemd (which is actually pretty fucking bad, but shared by Apt distros anyway)

>What's the point of protection against deletion but allowing writes?
actually there is, hence sticky bit

Systemd is actually a fine idea in theory. Unfortunately it's run by some of the most retarded, head-up-the-ass morons on the entire planet, second only to Gnome maintainers.

> Word Processor, Spreadsheet and Presentation Software that doesn't try to *poorly* imitate MS Office.

I'd rather have something much simpler, but if you're going to make a knock-off of something, you should be able to do better than LibreOffice.

>Can't assign multiple users permissions to a dir without making a whole new group for it.
There is nothing wrong with this, it works well enough and keeps things simple, anything else would get horrifically complicated horrifically fast. See the windows file system.

>Permissions are extremely broad, can only define read write and execute whereas Windows can define read/write/create/delete/read-attributes and a bunch of other fine tuning options
>Criticises Unix file system.
>Exonerates the windows file system.
>Claims to not be retarded.
The windows file system, like the rest of the operating system, is a clusterfuck of note. It was as if it was designed by a group of people who didn't quite know what they wanted to achieve or how to achieve it or how it would be useful but wanted whatever that was to be extremely specific beyond all use. It's a brilliant example of what I like to call bad abstraction, hiding the inner workings of a simple system using a more complicated one. It's like a bunch of engineers got drunk at a meeting and just wrote down a list of whatever attribute they felt like at the time without considering what they were doing or the consequences.

>It's almost like Red Hat is sabotaging the whole Linux ecosystem.
These jews alongside the fat commie (RMS) that is contantly pushing for degeneracy and (((diversity))) will kill Linux as a whole.
Hope Linus realizes this and manages to for what he can and start fresh.

Because if a user renames a file on a network, he ruins links to that file to everybody else in the network.

>this is why nobody uses linux on a corporate network

I honestly don't understand the permission system. Why is there even option menu like this if I need to actually chmod the shit through terminal to change the settings

>nobody uses linux on a corporate network
Factually wrong.

Google actually kicked Windows to the curb. Most employees use macOS and GNU/Linux.

Peugeot runs several thousand Linux workstations.

I once tried using Libreoffice Impress to make a powerpoint presentation. Now I need regular dialysis treatment.

I wouldn't even care that much for them spreading systemcancer if they actually at least had decency to, I dunno, fix it? But noooo let's Wontfix everything that's too much work in our bugzilla, that's a much better solution!

>What's the point of protection against deletion but allowing writes?

HOLY FUCK

LINUXSHITS ARE THIS CLUELESS

>All this empty statement

Try making an argument for your own OS instead of just bashing Windows

Nice two examples, the rest of the world runs Windows though.

>Post glaring issues that Linux has
Okay :D

Another universal claim that can be proved wrong with merely one counter-example.
You should aim for fewer generalizations.

multi-user system...clearly insecure by default.

>linguistic pendantism
Heh... you guys know you can't win the market share argument, so you appeal to this shit. Which goes to show your obnoxious personality: yet another reason nobody uses Linux, because using it involves interacting with these fat irritating NEETs everytime you have a question about it.

>>What's the point of protection against deletion but allowing writes?
>HOLY FUCK
>LINUXSHITS ARE THIS CLUELESS

Shred /10.0.0.1/FolderOfImportance/FileOfImportance.imp

>Not deleted

GNU end user applications ... with no alternative.

>linguistic pendantism
>t. illiterate sub 60 IQ street shitter.

>I'm so insecure about myself I have to try to assert my self-proclaimed intellectual superiority oveyou in order to feel alright
How old are you, 17?

Half baked Python written package managers.
E.g. yum/dnf

Arch is in a class of its own with how shit it is. Hello it's package manager doesn't even support basic shit like glob stars and has the most convoluted, meaningless argument arrays.

It doesn't help that arch repos are low quality garbageware full of improperly licensed software and no segregation of nonfree and free software.

>how do i run the file manager as root?????????????????????

All major Linux filesystems have ACL and rich ACL support you dipshit

Try a little lower...

fglt told me to not fucking do that or I fuck my shit up

so I used chmod to change the rights

>you have to run an entire buggy piece of crap as root, risking to compromise your entire system, just to change a user permission, because your operating system is such a piece of pathetic tryhard shitware it can't even do pic related

>Half baked Python written package managers
They do their job well, they aren't buggy, are simple to use and are reasonably fast.
>using glob stars in a fucking package manager
For what purpose
>convoluted argument arrays
Literally just use the fucking alias function if you're this autistic

>retarded ui design that hinders workflow

Like the Gui? If you have a problem with the gui that's like the easiest thing to customize.

Yeah let me learn like 20 extra code languages and rewrite the source on half my system so I can have a consistent GUI

>visudo

not sure if it's just my computer or ubuntu, when i move large files like 4 gigs to a usb drive, the copying speed starts high around 50mbs or more down to less than mb transfer speed and freezes the whole system, like what the fresh

>implying windows has a consistent GUI

Pretty much every application packed with Windows (well, before 10 obviously) has a consistent GUI.

>text interface

So I take it that you've never used regedit before?

sudo apt-get install [desired gui].

then go into the gui based menu and customize it to your pleasing.

Stick to windows. Here's ubuntu on my laptop I use for CS at uni. The only coding was some bash scripting for the conky on the right side. Not that hard to completely change the look and feel.

Not really. Yum made it very scary to use pip sometimes because installation of the latest pycurl would destroy yum, for example.

It's also much slower than the new apt tool

There have been numerous new bugs for the latest fedora release of dnf that would cause all kinds of dependency hell.

Also globs are nice because then you could remove all packages with the name like gstreamer by doing pacman -R gst-*
But instead, because pacman is shit tier software written by skids, you have to make a convoluted shell pipeline to accomplish the same task.

No proper system-wide equalizer.

Don't say pulseaudio-equalizer. Have you used that buggy monstrosity?

>glaring issues that Linux has

Butthurt microsoft faggots shitting up tech boards with their butthurt.

apt-get is deprecated, use apt

my fucking printer (cheap Samsung shit) still doesn't work

pulseaudio is so bad, the main volume slider doesn't work, programs randomly choose what output they use, i have to keep the actual menu with processes open at all times

>doesn't spy on you
>doesn't let other programs execute on your sovereign hard drive, you racist bigot
>doesn't run gay men, you cis-shit homophobe
>is old and gross
>written by men
>sometimes doesn't have a GUI. Its THE CURRENT YEAR, why is TUI even still a thing?
>expects you to compile things yourself, whatever compile means
>has a fucking old outdated permission system

>Glaring issues that Linux has
The Gnu and Linux logos. That is all.

Pulse audio is a software mixer. What the fuck do you want it to do if your shitty software bypasses it and uses alsa/hardware directly?

Sup Forums could fix that easlly

do y'all even into alsamixer?

I didn't know Firefox and MPV are shitty, what are better alternatives

>you cis-shit homophobe
coming from the sjwd gnu/linux community, thats golden.

oh wow look everybody semantics

>X, Alsa, Shit drivers
Works on My Machine (TM)
>screen tearing
Works on My Machine (TM)
>near deaf audio
Works on My Machine (TM)
>wasted space by global/title bars
inquisitiveanimegirl.webp
>retarded UI design that hinders workflow
Works on My Machine (TM)
>step away from Debian ecosystem and you are fucked
Then use the Debian ecosystem?

>linguistic pendantism
literal idiot

>a real person posted this thinking it was funny

>literally the only bird that cannot fly
>there are gay penguins
>the penguin is fat
>Ubuntu is still the best (baka)

Damage Control: The thread

>literally the only bird that cannot fly
Neo Sup Forums shows the symptoms of horrible education systems. Our future is doomed.

Dolphins can swim better than penguins and also look cooler.

Also dolphins can communicate with bats.

Post this shit to HN.

>you click this button and windows spawns a superuser only graphical desktop that no other piece of software has access to for the purpose of you clicking a button and it's so graphically intense you have to turn this shitty piece of 'security' off so that some of your older computers remain usable and don't go up in flames

Well, every application packed with a base linux system does too.
It's text based and you can't get much more consistent than that.

X is outdated and bloated, but slowly Wayland is replacing it

Audio is a fucking mess. Pic related, its the audio stack on Ubuntu

Dependency issues. Many package managers fix dependency hell but the fact that libraries don't have to be packaged with the program make a lot of programs force you to track down some 10 year old library

That's 3 main reasons that are fucking nothing compared to how many glaring issues Windows has

>X is outdated and bloated, but slowly Wayland is replacing it
total meme

X is great, it made porting super easy. Shit even runs on Windows nowadays, MacOs since a long time, BSD as well

>Over 2 decades of legacy code
>Screen tearing
>Uses the most memory and CPU on most systems than any other program

>file picker doesn't have thumbnails

ITT autistic screeching

You will be beaten soon enough if you proceed doing that.

What do you think is the reason for X's CPU Usage?

Lots of legacy shit thats still being supported since X is outdated to the core

Wayland only does worse than X in fullscreen shit because it still needs to fix some driver support

But other than that its much faster than X

How much less CPU does the Wayland use?

I can't find any exact graphs, but the page on how Wayland handles rendering VS X shows how much CPU and memory it saves
wayland.freedesktop.org/architecture.html

No it doesn't and I won't read all that shit.

I don't believe you, liar.

Where is the evidence that Wayland will use less CPU/GPU than X? If both render shit, both have to calculate. The math is the same.

Wayland is just some lennart potterhead memery

You don't even have to read nigger. There's graphics on the page so you can just look at those

X windows have to send their data to X server who then sends it to the compositor who then sends it back to the X server who sends it to the kernel

Wayland windows send their data to the Wayland compositor who then sends it to the kernel

Much less math involved because Wayland has streamlined the proccess

Its not that hard to understand nigger

There is SELinux or RBAC if you want the best fine grained permission systems, only noobs can't into SELinux.
The rest works fine for me, i believe the major distros will have most things sorted out of the box but long time ago since i used a mainstream distro.

>Post glaring issues that Linux has
Use ACLs for fuck's sake.

For me there is no performance graph.

Steps have nothing to do with speed, so I still do not believe your lies.

Computers have more layers than ever in the history of computing, yet we have the fastest computers today and not when we had less steps and abstraction layers.

Am I a noob for saying $€Linux?

>>Uses the most memory and CPU on most systems than any other program
What? Firefox laughs at you and your naive opinions.

>Computers have more layers than ever in the history of computing, yet we have the fastest computers today and not when we had less steps and abstraction layers.

Webdev tier logic, user

X was made for not having multiple monitors and shittons of windows open
Only many terrible layers of abstraction have made those possible at the cost of performance