Firefox and Chrome now support FLAC. What uses will there be for it in the browser?

Firefox and Chrome now support FLAC. What uses will there be for it in the browser?

FLAC music streaming services that require gigabit Ethernet at best.

>amerifats and aussies btfo

>FLAC music streaming services that require gigabit Ethernet at best.
lol no

literally no one will give a shit except a few audiofools who claim they can hear the differance between 320k MP3 and FLAC without proving it.

I'm fine with MP3 V0.

Local playback :^) But at least if it had a visualisation or something :( boo

Finally, my shitty laptop speakers will now sound amazing right??

great, now I can embrace Google's dominance by replacing foobar2000 with chrome

(You)

Very few. Maybe some streaming application somewhere? Aside from having the support for more formats, there's hardly a benefit.

STOP PRETENDING TO BE FEMALE TO GET PEOPLES ATTENTION, GOD YOU'RE WORSE THAN TRIPFAGS.

Don't respond to it numbnuts. Filter, hide, and move along.

Browsing dropbox and file host sites with flac files.

I don't use flac like that. I use it to store music. Although I do listen to flac since I play music from the computer I store the music on, not thag I think that I can hear it any better.

If you have good headphones you can hear the difference.

This. Same here.

"I have no idea what good hardware is"

I download it just to convert it to .opus because .mp3 is nonfree format.

>some audiophile website have some FLAC playing interface
>some imageboard can finally allow its users to share flac without the download option being mandatory
The browsers are less incomplete now.

This.

But Opus is garbage at tagging

werkzfinefurme.png

>no DSD support

it's 2017, get good

>Opus is garbage
Ftfy

elaborate

Someone should make a decent local music player that works in the browser.

this is another example of the open source community innovating the direction toward a better standard

>Not Opus
u wot m8

No, you can't hear the difference. Well encoded 320 or V0 is transparent on 99% of songs, no matter how good your audio equipment is.

More players need to support it.

It's a free format suitable for audio archiving and the format is simple enough that there won't be any doubt whether it's supported in 50 years - why not support it?

As for whether you'll need it above Opus or Vorbis, very probably not.

Here is your (You), but for anyone confused - uncompressed CD audio is only 1.411Mbps; FLAC, typically around half that. Lossy audio is only actually required for streaming over mobile connections, ISDN or modems.

Yes, you probably are fine with LAME -V0.

In fact you're probably also fine with LAME -V2 @ ≈192kbps, because that is perceptually transparent (on anything except degenerate samples that MP3 cannot encode) in every major listening test ever run.

Do a double-blind ABX test yourself if you doubt me. Publish the results. We did, when devising the --alt-presets (as they were then) in the first place.

Spoken like someone who has never actually had to implement ID3v2. Fuck you, and fuck your tag format.

Vorbis comments are far from perfect - they're particularly annoying when people don't stay consistent with what keys they use. But they're always better than ID3. I don't think I've ever seen a worse tagging format than ID3. There's a whole "latest version" of ID3 that literally nobody uses because it's so bad.

>FLAC music streaming services that require gigabit Ethernet at best.
You mean around 2000Kb/s?

96k is p smooth tho

Opus is the actual fucking unsung masterrace codec