So, Sup Forums

So, Sup Forums
By the end of 2017 Firefox will drop support for traditional XUL extensions and move to Chrome-like WebExtensions thus becoming a full fledged Chrome wannabe.

And they wonder why they are loosing user base.

Other urls found in this thread:

downthemall.net/re-downthemall-and-webextensions-or-why-why-i-am-done-with-mozilla/
palemoon.org/
bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=615738
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is ESR safe from this retardation?

Good, just stick to another gecko browser or fork

>loosing

What's this mean for SeaMonkey?

The death of XUL means I'm moving to Chromium. I stuck with FF through all the bullshit so far, because I could undo almost all of it via extensions. No more.

my thoughts exactly.
also dubs confirm

I just found out DownThemAll will be finished. What will even be the point of using Firefox anymore?

It's not Chrom*

DownloadThemAll is done
ClassicThemeRestorer is kill
TabGroups are gone
Even adblockers are saying their software will be worse because of this

I really have no idea what the fuck Mozilla is thinking

They want to be like Chrome because that's what's "popular"

but

They're taking on Chrome's downsides

while simultaneously remaining bloated and slow

this is actual suicide

Do normies even use extensions? I can't believe Firefox will gain any significant userbase from getting some currently Chrome-exclusive extensions.

Eich should've had a family member donate to the fucking California bill. Firefox would've been saved.

After oh so many years I'm gonna dump it. Fucking bunch of retarded idiots

Normies use Chrome-like extensions

Like one that trades your browsing activity for 2% off its '''''partners''''' while shopping online

One that adds Pinterest Share buttons to EVERY FUCKING IMAGE ON THE PAGE

Google Hangouts, but integrated into your browser

very very basic themes

Firefox is trying to tackle Chrome on Chrome's home turf
and Chrome is not going to lose

Install Pale Meme

Mozilla ://

>Like one that trades your browsing activity for 2% off its '''''partners''''' while shopping online
>One that adds Pinterest Share buttons to EVERY FUCKING IMAGE ON THE PAGE
>Google Hangouts, but integrated into your browser

I think I got a cancer just by thinking about adding shit like this to my browser

>tl;dr Devs are too lazy to update their extensions

It looks like Mozilla is actually deprecating the old extension API while not providing a usable replacement:
downthemall.net/re-downthemall-and-webextensions-or-why-why-i-am-done-with-mozilla/

Fuck off, the DownThemAll dev updated his add-on for e10s

That's not the case at all. The new API simply does not support things those extensions took advantage of. Mozilla's giving certain devs like the one that writes NoScript special treatment and ensuring Fx works specifically with it.

bravo

Firefox is open source. Fork Firefox 56 before XUL extensions are deprecated.

Mozilla is going to release baked-in Tab Groups. They may do that for DownThemAll also.

>might
fuck that. The day Moz://a drops XUL is the day I'm switching to Chrom* or at least a Firefox fork of my liking.

The only worthwhile Fx fork that comes to mind is TenFourFox. I have a hard time this get far, then again with Mozilla pushing everyone away it and there being no decent alternative I could see it

already done phamily
palemoon.org/

I bailed early 2016

Hopefully Mozilla will keep fucking up and pissing people off and maybe this browser will get enough marketshare to attract addon devs

i wish

>Mozilla is going to release baked-in Tab Groups
I really like this feature but the addon was only made because they removed it not even that long ago, you are sure they are adding it back in again?

*hard time seeing

Ah gad, how can I know wich of my extensions are going to be affected?

Fuck, any other open source browser?

Opera 12.15

Isn't that project run by a furfag?

probably all of them

Hopefully Waterfox won't be affected.

>Mozilla
>adding features to firefox rather than removing them
kek

Anything that touches the UI or takes over major browser functionality (like DownloadThemAll) is fucked
Anything that is also in Chrome is probably fine

he's talking bullshit, they removed it despite many people telling them to keep them, this shit isn't coming back, period.

Doesn't really affect me.

Ah shit, if i can find a chromium equavalent of my extensions i will never look back.
Does vivaldi have extensions?

yeh

and he has asperger's, too

however,
the browser is good enough, it seems, to make up for that

meant to quote

does it matter? would you stop using windows if bill gates were gay or something like that?

I think at this point we have all dropped support for firefox.

is Opera a good alternative? should I just drop firefox altogether??

Waterfox
Pale Moon

or Ungoogled Chromium if you don't care for FF-based

If their goal is to create chrome clone, they should just fork chrome. Why waste resources on firefox?

does it matter?

gj anons gogle won

you're doing exacly what they want you to

my bet is they influence mozilla to their downfal

and with no where to go you end up exactly where they want you

you can use Chrome's extensions on Vivaldi

I'm 100% positive. I've interviewed with the people in charge of this. They're gonna get an intern to make it this summer at their office in Toronto.

Sabotage. It's a conspiracy.

I guess it's time to move to Brave.

>FF is transitioning out of the old addon system that doesn't support multiprocess
>this is apparently a bad thing
>this is why people apparently leaving it

Good riddance, everyone who left because it. The less retards use my browser is the better.

My world is complete now

>old addon system that doesn't support multiprocess
Completely incorrect. Fuck off with your FUD

The old model can support multi-threading but a lot of addons currently do not support it. The old model put addons in a more precarious situation, Mozilla could accidentally break tons of addons just by changing something internally, so for every seemingly minor change they had to devote time to testing addons to make sure they weren't broken. It's a huge waste of resources that could be used for something more interesting or important like sandboxing the browser.

After years of trying to keep this stupid futile effort up Mozilla finally decided it's better to just cut their losses and break compatibility with these older addons this one time and implement a stable API that addon devs can build their addons against instead. They're using chromium's addon model as a basis because there are a large amount of existing addons there that can help fill some of the void left by XUL based addons.

how much of this will be kill

RequestPolicy is redundant if you have ublock.

CRT, stylish are kill. maybe possibly ublock too.

>CRT is kill
well, Pale Meme it is

ublock was ported to firefox from chromium. It's one of the few addons that isn't threatened at all by this. Mozilla just has to implement the APIs it needs and it will work as a webextension. umatrix too.

>not using SeaMonkey or servo

>FF is a chrome line to put all development on servo.

i use it as a fillin pop up blocker

ublock can block popups also though. ublock can block basically everything requestpolicy can. You can import your requestpolicy rules into ublock so you don't lose them also.

how do i setup ublock to block pop-ups? i still want to have an option to allow it for certain sites that need it

Open up the ublock settings and go to "my rules" and put:
no-popups: * true
in there and save it.

That blocks all popups by default.

Then when you come across a page with popups that you want to allow you just push this button

thanks

Make sure you press save and then press commit so it saves it to the permanent set of rules.

Chromium devs are removing the ability to disable or remove plugins

bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=615738

We may as well quit the internet alltogether!

what is the best browser to switch to if I find firefox right now to be just fine and don't want to have a lot of issues switching? aka what browser has good support for userscripts, a decent adblocker and cookie remover, and doesn't track the shit out of you?

I'm currently using Waterfox and its been great so far. I would recommend Brave, but not being able to install extensions was a deal breaker for me.