Son of a fucking bitch Sup Forums

son of a fucking bitch Sup Forums

>it's been a while, so dust out the inside of my PC on Friday
>redo cable management
>plug it all in, click power button
>VVRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH
>fans all on high
>long POST beep followed by two short beeps
>figure out this means no video device (or the video device is broken)
Fucking god damn i...
>graphics card PCIe power isn't plugged in
>plug it in
>everything boots normally

Fast forward to yesterday (Monday)
>everything's going fine, no issues since I actually gave the card power
>finish up work yesterday, put the computer to sleep
>wake up today, tap the power button
>BEEEEEEEP. BEEP. BEEP.
Fuck.

>unplug PCIe power, plug it back in
>beeeeeep. beep. beep.
>switch to the other PCIe slot
>beeeeeep. beep. beep.
>take out card, closely examine for any burn marks or other "out of place" things
>nothing, it still looks brand new other than dust
>put it back in
>beeeeeep. beep. beep.

What in the fuck would cause a video card to fail with LITERALLY no human input whatsoever? I didn't try to overclock it, I didn't mess with the voltages, I haven't changed the fan curve in 3 years, I didn't even open my fucking case and yet... Go to sleep, wake up, and computer is dead.

Is there anything I could be forgetting? I really don't want to have to go to Fry's and pay $50 for a card that only costs $20 on Newegg.

Other urls found in this thread:

hardforum.com/threads/esd-electromigration-rant.761614/,
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Could be worn out.

>>it's been a while, so dust out the inside of my PC on Friday
>>redo cable management
>>plug it all in, click power button

>What in the fuck would cause a video card to fail with LITERALLY no human input whatsoever?

are you retarded ?

You missed the part after that
>plug in power cable
>boots normally with no issues

I have trouble believing that *not* providing power to a device for a few seconds would cause it to break 4 days later.

I understand what you're saying but how can that be? The only moving part it has is the fan, and that (well, was) running perfectly.

RAM

Electronics wear out as well.

Have you verified the PCIe power cable you're using is still delivering power? Got a multimeter?

Also, if you're ausfag (or anywhere where it's currently hot/dry) then there's a pretty solid chance you raped it with static unless you took ESD precautions. Speaking of raped with static, vacuuming is a really, really bad idea. Hose can build up a mighty charge due to particle and air friction, touch it on anything and boom, ganked logic.

If you're going to dust, use a non synthetic paintbrush (reads, horse bristle or other natural bristle) and a can of air.

>The only moving part it has is the fan, and that (well, was) running perfectly.
look up electromigration.

Can you borrow someone else's GPU to see if it boots fine?

And everything else in the computer still runs fine. Fuck. That's stupid if that's what happened.

No multimeter but I have a modular power supply and tried the other PCIe cable and plug (there are two PCIe plugs on the power supply). Can't imagine it would turn on at all if it wasn't delivering 12 volts to the PCIe, since IIRC it's a single rail PSU.

And it is dry here, but I always hold or touch the case while I'm working with anything inside. And again, it ran for 4 days with no issues then, out of the blue, stopped.

And don't worry, I only use compressed air. I cringe whenever people tell me they vacuumed their computer.

Literally the only people I know who play PC games have gaayyymeeennn laptops. And of course my brother chucked his old computer (with something like an 8800 GT) a few months ago.

Guess I'm gonna have to go to Fry's and just get the cheapest card I can find. No point in getting a powerful graphics card since I have an RX 460 sitting on my desk for my next build.

>it ran for 4 days with no issues then, out of the blue, stopped.
Hardware dies. Get over it and buy a replacement, fgt.

> I always hold or touch the case while I'm working with anything inside.
With the device still connected to an outlet so ground is still connected to the chassis.. Right?

>And again, it ran for 4 days with no issues then, out of the blue, stopped.
Doesn't mean shit. if a gate on a chip is marginal due to a static discharge and it gets hit under the right load it will fail, be it a day or a month later.

See hardforum.com/threads/esd-electromigration-rant.761614/, specifically;

> An Integrated Circuit (IC) consists of several transistors fabricated on one chip. Due to the advances in L.S.I and V.L.S.I thousands of transistors are crowded on a single chip. By decreasing the thickness of the gate oxides and interconnecting lines the manufacturers hope to achieve much higher speeds at very low power consumption. But under these conditions if the Electrostatic Discharge passes through an IC and the current that results is not diverted or diminished by a suitable protective mechanism, the discharge may raise the temperature of the junction inside the component to melting point which will cause damage to the junction or interconnecting lines. Since surface mount devices are smaller than conventional ICs they are even more susceptible to E.S.D damage. E.S.D causes two main types of failures: -

> 1. Immediate failure where the effect can be readily seen by the equipment manufacturer.
> 2. Delayed failure where the device is damaged only upto the point where it may pass quality control tests, but wears out sooner than its rated time.

If you have ruled out all other possibilities (and it seems you have) all thats left to do is get the GPU into a second machine to see if the fault is on your PCIe bus/mainboard or the card itself. Good to hear you're not using a vacuum at least.

just purchase a new card OP you act like spending money on this is the end of all existence its dead its your own fault now you pay the price next time be more careful about hardware

> just go randomly buying hardware without ruling out where the fault lies.

Also, learn some fucking grammar you child.

>worrying about grammar on Sup Forums

next you are going to tell me to type more slowly and to start using homerow and yes OP should be a new card its always a good time to buy new hardware

Fucking dumb ass you forgot to recombobulate the doober joober.

>Only took 14 posts before a literal retard showed up
I'm proud Sup Forums

>OP should be a new card
You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

OP broke his card by fucking cleaning it then came to Sup Forums for tech support.

i am 30 its called a typo stupid

What did you use to clean it user?

he put it into an industrial dishwasher

stuck the vacuum hose in there and got all the dust out

> 30
> Types like a 13 year old.

You must be a very successful person.

how do you mean i type like a 13 year old?