Hey Sup Forums, what languages are the hip new kids using these days?

Hey Sup Forums, what languages are the hip new kids using these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

crystal-lang.org/
elixir-lang.org/
ponylang.org/
chrisseaton.com/rubytruffle/deoptimizing/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Perl 6.

Go, Python, Haskell

BASIC

Emojicode

Lit bae dabs, senpai.

J.

Knowing that python/java kiddies can't even make sense of your programs is a great feeling.

Swift

F#,Scala,Rust

hoon

Rust, Elixir, Go

crystal-lang.org/ as a Go replacement with generics.
elixir-lang.org/ for webdev/daemons.
ponylang.org/ because fuck giving your programming language a respectable name.

>because fuck giving your programming language a respectable name
Oh, and I guess fintech guys want to use it instead of whatever they use now (i.e., C++, Azul's Java or OCaml at that one company).

Java and that Apple thing. Muh apps muh mobile market.

My dad is a senior programmer at IBM (most of his stuff is in C, C++).

One day I told him that people use Python and sometimes Perl to write programs nowadays and he thought it was a kind of practical joke.

He said he didn't even consider them languages at all, and was flabergasted when I told him universities often teach Python in introductory computer science courses.

He's a grandpa unable to adapt to the latest innovations.

He's stuck in punch cards when tape.programming exists.

Python is the logical step from C.

The best practices of C with batteries included. No need to worry about safety. We're headed for lots of RAM in the future, the abstraction cost will be negligible.

Java, or rather Oracle's JVM, is going to be exciting again in a few years once they release Truffle+Graal: chrisseaton.com/rubytruffle/deoptimizing/.

wow your dad sure is cool i'd love to meet him gee whiz give me a high five sport

when people talk about "safe" programming and especially how susceptible C is, they are referring to buffer overflow attacks, right?

if so, why is python immune to these types of attacks

>he doesn't use Go

ASM

Because at most you'll get an indexerror and not actually overwrite psrts of actual memory

All the hip new kids are using electron and node.js

Just looked it up.

Seems nice enough, but I think others would agree with me in saying it's not self documenting.

>le meme "spacing is syntax" language
>"latest innovations"
>slowest running language in the world now being used for everything now that even gaymer girls can kode

>the language is used for everything
>almost everyone can program now

oh no, this is terrible! can't have that now can we

We don't need billions of programs. We need a lesser number of well-written ones. Bad code can snowball.

forth

everyone can benefit (logical thinking) from programming. humanity needs more logical thinking whether you like it or not user.

Quite right. Python has the syntax that C++ developer never had the capability to write down.
But python being interpreted like Java kinda sucks on arguments to defend the usage of this on everything :(
> python is amazing for powerful sysadmin scripting
> python is delightful as web language.

>True

I've been learning Forth lately and it's actually really neat

>No need to worry about safety.

A language with training wheels permanently attached.

>training wheels
And those would be?

You can write C code directly from Python

Python has its places.

I still prefer C/C++ for desktop apps.

Heck, even desktop apps are just showing web browsers nowadays.

Dart, Elixir, Rust

Personally I think Dart is the future. It's honestly such a beautiful language. If you're into functional then learn Elixir. Idk why people learn Rust.

Snap

First I've heard of Dart, it looks pretty cool. It has similar aspects to Python ("Batteries included approach") and apparently it's used for web dev? Pretty nice if it can keep someone from writing Javascript. I also like that Google claims to "heavily invest' in it for the future

Dart is a funny one. It lacks any killer features but it's enough of an improvement over JavaScript for it to be noticeable. Over TypeScript it has the advantage that its libraries don't suffer from out-of-date type definitions. At one point it seemed like Dart had failed to take off, but apparently Google's AdWords team started to use it internally, and since that's where Google makes its money, Dart won't die now.

Also, they've started to use it all over the place, like in Flutter and for scripting in Fuchsia.

What you mean that language where you can define 7 to be a function that returns 2?

>crystal-lang.org/ as a Go replacement with generics.

>Language goals:
>Have a syntax similar to Ruby
Why would you pick the worst thing about Ruby and implement it into your own language?

>Emojicode
wtf

>*makes 500 mb text editor*

english

Implicitly typed languages come with another common type of security flaw, completely unexpected runtime behaviour.

A few SQL sanitizers written in implicit languages failed for that very reason for instance.

java