Is RX480 still worth it?

Is RX480 still worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rYe7NsaNvew
youtube.com/watch?v=nf__ZGD9SUQ
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think yes, depend of what you want to spend.

youtube.com/watch?v=rYe7NsaNvew

No, Polaris was DOA because Pascal showed up, and Vega is DOA because it'll show up literally one year after Pascal did.

It's the best card in it's price range so yes.

Enjoy your fried motherboards.

>Is RX480 still worth it?
Actually it's worth it now, when the new drivers are bumped performance and the price went down. Buying 480 right after release was the retard move.

It's time to get out from under your rock.

>480 shows up
>muh power draw
>no actual confirmed cases of any hardware damage

>1070 and 1080 shows up
>literally exploding VRM right on numerous livestreams

nah 1060 is better

for making a housefire.

Blame EVGA for it not Nvidia, other cards are perfectly fine.

Vegaaaaaaaa wheennnnnnn

Also can someone explain Vega 10 and Vega 11 to me?

I have a 4gb one, it's good enough to run dota 2 at max 1080p so it's good enough for me

Seriously the 1070 is the best deal at the moment. 1080 is just a rip-off all things considered.

youtube.com/watch?v=nf__ZGD9SUQ

>Blame EVGA for it not Nvidia
Yeah, like Nvidia should not choose their partners more thoroughly.

It's not the first time EVGA jewed out on their VRM cooling, people should know better by now.

Ok time for summary:

Vega is the biggest fundamental architecture change since they switched from Terascale to GCN 1.0
The new NCU means a massive boost to efficiency in the shader core and a much easier ability to fully saturate the GPU with work.
The biggest problem with Fiji(furyX) is that its 4096 shaders didnt mean very much because of large bubbles in the pipeline and large ammounts of shaders idling and doing no work each cycle.
Even with a low Level API like Vulcan which is best case scenario the FuryX is still not running with all cylinders firing because Vulkan only solved the Driver overhead problem. There is still bubbles in the workload because of the fundamental design of the GCN architecture itself.

AMD is switching from standard 4x16-bit blocks of a normal GCN CU(compute unit) to This new design of a variable 8+4+2+2 block and either four of these or a mix of these and standard 16-bit blocks in this new NCU(next compute unit)

They could not Do this in the past because they did not have the technology to build a Hardware Scheduler and Memory Scheduler Complexed enough to run this kind of architecture.

We have test samples of Vega with NCU's disabled and with very low clockspeeds and its beating a 1900mhz overclocked gtx 1080 in DOOM. Now there is a gain from using Vulcan over DX11 and OpenGL for AMD but thats on the Driver Overhead side not on the fundamental shader operations side. IT just means the CPU is feeding draw calls to the GPU at peak efficiency.

Alot of people dismiss the test because its vulcan but they dont know what they are looking at. The Vega sample is running FIJI 1.2 drivers Which means the instructions are running through the Vega NCU's like they are standard fixed 16-bit blocks like you have on a FuryX card.

So you need to look at it from this perspective.

This New architecture is more advanced than Maxwel/Pascal. You are going to see unreal performance from Vega when its finally released. Poor Volta

I hope it's moderately priced. I'm not fucking paying $1200 AUD for a fucking 1080.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I fell for the freesync meme so I think I'll be sticking to radeon for the time being. Looking to upgrade my 290x, hopefully the high end Vega will be competitively priced.

i am hype

Actually, the fury is the best.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Vega, is in fact, NCU/Vega, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, NCU plus Vega. Vega is not a graphics architecture unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning NCU system made useful by the High-bandwidth Cache, Catalyst utilities and vital system components comprising a full Next-generation Compute Unit as defined by AMD.
Many computer users run a modified version of the NCU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NCU which is widely used today is often called “Compute units”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NCU system, developed by AMD. There really is a Vega, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Catalyst is the driver: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s compute units to the other programs that you run. The driver is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. NCU is normally used in combination with the Catalyst driver stack: the whole system is basically NCU with Vega added, or NCU/Vega. All the so-called “Vega” distributions are really distributions of NCU/Vega.

I'm pretty happy with the 4GB Powercolor I got for about $170.