Apple to stop support of 32-bit apps

Buy that new 64-bit version of the app, sheep.
You have a 32-bit Apple device? Your have paid for the app but it's no longer supported? Well, fuck you.

computerworld.in/news/future-ios-64-bit-only-apple-stop-support-32-bit-apps?ModPagespeed=noscript

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2017-January/028660.html
asus.com/Notebooks/UL30Vt/specifications/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In other news, Arch is killing 32bit apps as well.

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2017-January/028660.html

32 bit is dead. Go get a $20 64bit CPU, poorfaggot.

Well, there's no support for 16-bit platforms, it was matter of time when 32-bit applications stop being developed.

Desktop Linux is usually a system for old PCs that can't run new versions of Windows. Arch community is fucking retarded. People will install Lubuntu on their grandma's computer and never again look at Arch.

ahaha your f*cking dumb

This is good.

It costs nothing, nill, zero to run a 32 bit app on a 64 bit CPU but they are blocking the execution of 32 bit apps on IOS anyway. Think sheep, think.

>current year
>buying 32-bit versions for a 64-bit only OS
laughinganimegirls.jpeg

>Desktop Linux is usually a system for old PCs

Sure if you install Ubantu 8 or some shit haha

How else can you have a secure OS on an old Laptop you decided to give your grandma or your poor neighbor? You idiots waste money on useless shit when the old shit works just fine and love that planned obsolescence.

32 bit is dead. grandpa.

don't buy a box of ovaltine one week and you'll be able to afford a cheap 64-bit computer.

we're in 2017 for fuck's sake. 32 bit is insecure and total garbage.

+
64 bit became a thing a decade ago, they just have to move on already

please force ipv6 too
someone has to

>32 bit is insecure
How so? Lubuntu works fine on my 32 bit machine and it receives constant updates.
You can get older 32 bit machines for pennies and they are fine for 99% of uses except gaming. So a normie who isn't into HD youtube can do anything he/she needs on such machine.

Literally topkek. I haven't heard of ovaltine for years. I didn't know they even still sold it

Why? Why do you monkeys love killing backwards compatibility so much? There are no gains for the customer in this.

>It costs nothing, nill, zero to run a 32 bit app on a 64 bit CPU but they are blocking the execution of 32 bit apps on IOS anyway
>Apple
wow, who would think they dare to ditch backward compatibility

Except it's not even close.

Arch is phasing out their i686 port, not outright cutting out compatibility with x86 apps.

Dunno about ARM, but x64 does require a bit of emulation magic to run x86 apps in x64 mode (mostly deprecated things like segment registers and the like)

I don't expect AArch64 to require half as much code to run legacy stuff, though.

"32bit is insecure"
That has to be the biggest bullshit I've heard this decade.

What the fuck is an app?

>That has to be the biggest bullshit I've heard this decade.
That's what his Iphone told him.

It's a kind of sonic.

64 bit ARM processors have a compatibility mode that lets you simply run 32 bit executables without a change in code called A32 mode

I don't know about macOS but at least Microsoft has to maintain both 32- and 64-bit versions of their libraries/APIs and an automated mechanism that switches between them. So being able to run 32-bit software on 64-bit OS does cost reseources.

>go dive right into consumerism
Eat a dick

And two versions later they did it again

And yet you still keep buying their "American" shit manufactured in China.

My newest Mac is 9 years old.

I'm pretty surprised it's been this long.
When they introduced 64 bit, I was all "Well, that's nice that they still let you run old apps, maybe they'll drop it in the next iOS version, that should be long enough?"
By this point I'd completely forgotten apple was even still supporting them. Wow.

literally who cares
they're doing you a favor, if you're still using 32-bit in 2017 then you have a problem

Just read about it, you're right. It's like the x86-mode in x64 CPUs but it can switched on-the-fly.
I would still assume that requires a bit of work from the OS in recognizing that an app is A32 (via executable header, one would assume) and switch to it (and back to A64 when its scheduling time is over).

>then you have a problem
My phone still works fine even though it was designed to break? Wow, I sure have a problem and need to replace that working phone with a new one.

Listen, fanboy.
Apple wants to fuck you in the ass and that's it.
There is no convoluted backstory here.

Just ignore anything from that trip, literally every post is a shitpost.

Oh poor me! All of my 0 Apple devices are now bricks (when haven't they really) because my argument is now moot!
Thank god you have been blessed with the power of reasoning without having your mind clouded by a logo!

Where did you read I was defending their decision anyway? I think it's retarded (they're just cutting off a feature that it costs them jack shit to keep), but it's not like any Apple idiot is gonna complain.

Those were some dark days, but we've moved past them.

So, wait. Does that mean there will be no iOS 11 for 32bit devices? That may be a good thing.
> no improvements in the GUI part of iOS or features since iOS 8
> iOS 10 will be jailbroken someday

>If you're still using 32-bit in 2017 then you have a problem
>PowerPCfag
top kek

He's not PowerPC fag, he shitposts with my old trip. Also,
>implying there aren't 64-bit PowerPC CPUs

>2017
>using PowerPC

>any year
>arbitrary restrictions on processor architecures

>implying ovaltine comes in a box
I think you are inbred or pajeet.

> 2017
> not buying your ovaltine in bulk boxes

Even old PCs are 64bit now

Older ones aren't.

This a good position to be in, you have such sheep as customers you can do anything you want to make company's life more comfortable, even if that means screwing your customers

The older ones are almost useless now. Why would you even try running new software with them?

Just go back to Sup Forums already

You go back to Sup Forums. 32bit is legacy and it WILL die

The sooner we get idiots off of 32-bit, the better.
Lets stop the 2038 problem now, before it becomes a huge pain in the future.

>Why would you even try running new software with them?
Because it runs without problems on them?
CPUs don't get faster anymore.

In the meantime Sup Forumsindows users still run 32-bit browsers because Microsoft is too afraid to cut old ties.

Don't get mad for not being able to buy a better computer than Nehalem, pajeet.

>muh mindless consumerism

>Lets stop the 2038 problem now
OpenBSD doesn't have this issue.

>signed 32-bit integer
Just use unsigned 32-bit integer.
You can't have negative time.

>muh using legacy crap for the sake of it

For desktops maybe. Must be fun in that super small world of yours.

Yes it runs and yes it might do a decent job at it. However, why would you use an old af cpu that sucks shitload of electricity when you can get newer cpu that does more with less.

>muh upgrading just because something newer exists
How do people this dumb even survive?

Not that guy but pretty much every CPU has been 64 bit since Pentium 4, with the notable exception of a few atom chips that are so slow that they should never have been released. No matter how you twist it, you're looking at Pentium 3 levels of performance if you've got a pure 32 bit x86 machine. Would that even run a modern website?

>power consumption
Third world issues are irrelevant to first worlders.

>why would you use an old af cpu that sucks shitload of electricity when you can get newer cpu that does more with less.
Because I would rather have 10 machines for the price of one new.

Rude. I still drink Ovaltine. Nutritious as fuck.

25 years old.

That is how current software systems are written.
Either way, you're going to have to recompile/reconfigure/rewhatever existing software systems. If you're changing shit anyway, you may as well change the CPUs to 64-bit ones.
Anyway, using unsigned 32-bit integers just pushes the problem out 50 years, which is still a conceivable amount of time and will still be an issue in our lifetime.

Core was 32-bit

>muh using legacy crap for the sake of it, even if there is an upgrade offering a better experience
Why didn't you kill yourself yet, fucking luddite?

You don't even fucking have to buy new. 64bit is supported in many old shit. 32bit only cpus are shit in todays standard

I'm pretty sure I'll be dead by 2106.

That's my point, if upgrading doesn't offer a better experience then there's no damned reason to upgrade. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I'm hoping medicine will catch up by then.

Pure 32 bit computer would cost me about 1/10 of a new desktop. Having 20 workstations for students for the cost of one new PC is the way to go. All you need is Linux. They don't need to play games or watch youtube during classes.

They were also ULV and used in absolutely fuck all. Again, they're not much better than pentium 3 levels of performance and they wouldn't run a modern website.

Nope. Regular plebs won't benefit from the advances in medicine at all. Don't forget that you are a nobody.

Meanwhile I use a Core processor for web browsing almost daily

>let's buy 10 inferior old machines struggling with new demanding software with their processing power combined can't match one new pc
retard

Are you really this stupid? Virtualize you dumbass. And are you really buying 10+ year old stuff for students?

>They were also ULV and used in absolutely fuck all.
Asus UL30VT was the best laptop back in the day. It had 13 hours battery life and an option to manually turn NVIDIA GPU on. Don't talk shit about ULV as my mother still uses this laptop and everything works fine. Webbrowser, youtube, Skype, you name it.

What demanding software? They need to write fucking python scripts on these machines.

>Pure 32 bit computer would cost me about 1/10 of a new desktop. Having 20 workstations for students for the cost of one new PC is the way to go. All you need is Linux. They don't need to play games or watch youtube during classes.
Not that guy but you didn't actually address his point. You said that used 32 bit machines are much more affordable than a new 64 bit machine, to which he responded that there were used 64 bit machines. You can't get around that by restating that used 32 bit machines are cheaper than new 64 bit machines.

>Virtualize you dumbass
How does one connect displays and keyboards to one machine? You still need terminals which aren't that cheap. Not to mention that you have to pay the technician to set this up more than it costs to just buy 10 computers.

So you don't know anything?

Are you using a GUI or are you going full Stallman?
>Youtube
Can it actually decode anything more than 360p?

But used 64-bit core2 machines are still twice as expensive as other 32-bit computers.

Using a GUI

>app

>But used 64-bit core2 machines are still twice as expensive as other 32-bit computers.
Those machines regularly turn up in the "free to good home" section of any newspaper. Are your 32 bit machines cheaper than free? Are people paying you to remove them?

>implying it's an Apple exclusive thing to refer to cellphone programs as "apps"

Explain to me how they can use shit without using a thin client connected to the VM server?

>using 32 bits
>2017

Colour me impressed. XFCE or LXDE? Or is there something even lower weight nowadays? What web browser do you use and does anything run without disabling javascript?

Yeah, cellphones totally need 64-bit CPUs

>Can it actually decode anything more than 360p?
Sure it can. It has a 512 MB NVIDIA on the board.

asus.com/Notebooks/UL30Vt/specifications/

I don't live in Murrica where people just give away valuable electronics.

No, but they started this cancerous trend.

Who cares, you can just recompile it.
>closed software
oh wait

POSReady 2009 with Opera 12.18 and Scriptweeder (like NoScript but for Opera).

You motherfuckers never had a Ovaltine milkshake? Shit is god tier

>core 2
Yeah, not a 32 bit machine. You may be running a 32 bit OS but the CPU itself is 64 bit.

>Or is there something even lower weight nowadays?
pic
>What web browser do you use and does anything run without disabling javascript?
Why would you NOT use NoScript?
Anyway, dwb browser is fine.
Firefox ESR for normies is fine too.

I dare you to find the newest 32bit only intel mainstream desktop processor. Shits not even made this decade