Turn on a big CRT TV

>turn on a big CRT TV
>plunk-bzzzzzt
>lights dim for a split second

Who else knows this feel? How much goddamed electricity did these things draw revving up that electron gun?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillus_niger
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_bread_mold
jkisielewicz.fedorapeople.org/for_user/trinitron.ogg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

that looks like a back projection tv

some of them are CRT but most are DLP and have a 400w lamp in them

>Touching the screen

Mmmm

Not as much as you'd think.

>lights dim for a split second
Where the hell do you live? Poointheloo land?

Memeing aside, CRTs are god tier cozy.

>memeing aside
>memes about CRTs

>memeing a meme meme
>memes about memes

I remember this.

Just a year ago played blur on this TV
Feels like being a millionaire in the 80's

They draw about 10000W when powered on

My main TV is still a CRT.

It's a B&O beovision mx6000 from 1999 (or 8) and it still just werks.

totally forgot about this until now

>what a time to be alive

Is there any advantage to using a rear projection?

Not these days.

Are oleds better than plasma now? still have a 42" panasonic which works fine.

>dad and mom get high paying jobs
>buy the most expensive projector tv at the store
>bug dies in the screen within the first week
>it stayed their for almost 20 years

Oh fuck yeah! The staticky feel and all the hairs on the back of your hand stand up. That was the best feel

hehd out loudly

Better? Sure. Be prepared to pay out the ass for the privilege, though.

B&O TVs are gorgeous. Would love one to replace my ol' JVC CRT for my /vr/

>smash bugs with my fingers on the screen
>do this quite often because sometimes I eat bananas and that spawns flys out of nowhere
>leave the bug residue on the screen after a few times because lazy
>try to clean the monitor after a few months of not giving a fuck about the stains
>the bugs somehow have burned into the screen
>there are now 6 marks across the screen, which do not go away, no matter what or how much chemical cleaner I use

Try to clean them with azidoazide azide

>do this quite often because sometimes I eat bananas and that spawns flys out of nowhere
This has always scared me about bananas. Do we just eat flies when we eat bananas?

I had one of those things

>500W from the plug while turned on

i wish i still had one of the old mitsubishi tvs
they were sick as hell

I have never seen sudden flies when eating bananas. Where the fuck are you guys buying your bananas?

Very often if you bring bananas in your house, you will start to see tiny flies as well.

they are dirty hoarders who leave garbage everywhere, ignore them

in a tv, next to none
it may be quite useful as a beamer replacement in enviroments with limited space or enviroments where it's simply impossible to set up a regular projector

Nigga, I eat a banana a day, and I've only ever seen tiny flies on peels outside, on the ground.

Those are called nats
and they always appear no matter what, especially in the summer

How

My shit's clean, so there aren't any flies? Fuck if I know, this is the first I've heard of any of this.

>Sup Forums isn't capable of understanding fruit flies

what seems to be the problem?

ok smartass, are the eggs already on the bananas or what?

I think these are fruit flies, they are small as fuck so their larvae must be even smaller, I'm sure they are in pretty much every fruit you eat.

That shouldn't steer you away from fruits though prepared food is much worse.

kys bruv
>is mold alrready in the bread

first of all thats a fucking RPTV
also its not "revving up electron gun" its degaussing you stupid fuck

They are just attracted by the scent
There's o way they are alredy in the fruit

I am alternative smart and actually had to look that up and appearantly the first kind of mold on bread is called
>Aspergillus niger
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillus_niger

>own a 17 inch CRT with 4:3 ratio
>try to watch any movie with it
>huge ass black bars everywhere
>only old TV shows fill the screen properly

Disappointing af

you're confusing black mold with black bread mold
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_bread_mold
t. qualified baker

are you retarded?
old TV shows is the only thing worth watching on CRTs
even without black bars it'll look like shit
CRTs are only good for memes and a e s t h e t i c s

eggs:
>microscopic so practically impossible to detect
>reasonable to assume that a banana interacts with fruit fly populations before reaching a store, giving them a chance to lay eggs in the fruit

scent:
>requires a living colony of fruit flies to exist in your neighbourhood at all times
>requires them to have extraordinary senses and pathfinding (bugs aren't too great at that)
>requires them to periodically go extinct every winter and repopulate north every summer

eggs are the likelier case imo

I keep tape on my desk for this reason, when they land on the screen just lay tape over them and don't crush them, peel the tape off and fold it over to seal them in and then just throw them out.

Every time I do this I have a moral crisis but it's much cleaner. (Should I just crush them instead of forcing them to suffocate, is it better to give them a few moments to accept death or should I kill them before they realize what's happening. They're just bugs, but what if I were that bug.)

> a e s t h e t i c s

You're supposed to leave out the S and goad the unironically illiterate into using the word "aesthetic" improperly.

As a kid, I destroyed one of those TV and took it apart. Nothing interesting since I didnt know anything about electronics, except I got to understand bits/parts of how a CRT works.

That seems like too much hassle for me. I now still crush the bugs on the screen but I immediately wipe them away with something wet. I find destilled water and paper towels works best for clear vision.

Do you actually own a CRT though? I honestly prefer to watch things on it whenever the aspect ratio isn't too offensive, I feel that the liveliness of colors make up for it.

>Who else knows this feel?
I relive this feel every day I come back from work lol

29" Sony Trinitron

Here nostalgia faggots, have a record.
jkisielewicz.fedorapeople.org/for_user/trinitron.ogg

would post vocaroo but it compresses the shit out of it and you can't hear the 16kHz whine.

also, what is it called?
I'm sure it has a professional name of sorts since it's ubiquitous to every CRT tv i've ever seen.

Does it have left connector or right connector?

(If left plz gib 2 me)

what happens if you upload a WAV/FLAC to vocaroo and then download it in that format?

>I feel that the liveliness of colors make up for it.
You're not wrong.

The world ditched CRTs because they were cumbersome, heavy, took a lot of space and were powerhungry, not because LCD displays have better colors.

There was an attempt to prolong the life of CRT technology by making the display composed of multiple tiny tubes.

But I don't remember what it was called.

Shame really.

>power goes out
>turns on crt monitor
>ups gives one last cry and shuts down

that's a rear-projection tv

bump

while i haven't read up on it, based on what i do know, i would assume it's coil whine from the deflection yoke (the electro-magnet that directs the electron beam)
while the picture is drawn vertically at 50-60hz, the horizontal scanning frequency is a little over 15KHz, which matches up to the frequency you're detecting (and hearing)

o shit I forgotta bout how fast it's spamming horizontally

gotta go back and forth for e v e r y line

>nobody these days knows the satisfaction of realizing your CRT is dusty and wiping it down for a fresh clean image

(it's also explains why PC monitors don't have this sound, they bottom-out at 480p, which is twice the lines, therefore 31KHz and up)

it's because of the degaussing coil, which is activated only for a short period at start-up

Or being able to touch the screen without creating color distortions

Here's the results.

Note that the source FLAC file I uploaded was a reencoded lossy M4A file. The 16kHz cutoff is plain as day.

Vocaroo compression is ridiculous, cutting off between 8-9kHz.

vocaroo is only meant for voice recordings, isn't it? 9KHz cutoff is fine for that

or your dumb girlfriend leaving the neodymium magnets she's been playing with on the table in front of the TV and you coming home only to see twisted image and distorted colors.

Fair point.
But it's competitor which doesn't mention voice but "audio" does the same.

>not ex-girlfriend
what did she do to make up?

like i'm going to give up pussy for some dumb tv lol.

TV had a degaussing option, it got rid of most of the distorted colors and removed the image twist completely.

>mum told me not to touch the screen 'cos it will damage the telly and you'll have to pay with your pocket money'

>took a lot of space
and so does a lcd tv?
the space behind it between the wall is also empty

>the space behind it between the wall is also empty
Mine hangs on a wall. That's nowhere comparable to the amount of space the tube required.

>put aluminum foil over entire screen
>play with big sparks
>almost got electrocuted

was fun

Also a "living room sized" CRT TV was 24 to 36 inches while a 42 inch LCD is entry level and 55 to 70 inch ones are becoming quite common and inexpensive.

The standard resolution was smaller back then, so a 36 inch CRT was displaying an image half the vertical size of an entry level LCD.

The SED
Surface-Conduction Electron-Emission Display
1/10th the power of an LED display, 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio compared with 3,000:1 for LED

>1/10th the power of an LED display
If this was true then why aren't smartphone and tablet manufacturers scrambling for this technology

>multiple tiny tubes.
plasma tw

>why don't phone makers ditch thinness for a CRT

I imagine size mostly, you still need a vacuum chamber.
also nobody has the tech to manufacture them and whomever owns the patents aren't giving them up.

The whole point of the technology is it fits into LCD-style form factors.

That might be something though. If you cracked a hypothetical SED smartphone it could be potentially dangerous?

SED was scrapped because it was very expensive to produce, each pixel had an electron beam where CRTs had an electron beam which just scanned across the screen quickly.

>thought oled is the future and is flawless
>find out about the horrible black to gray response times
>remember that it has burn in
>it looses color over time
fuck me

plasma display have pixels which are cells of noble gases which illuminate when high voltage is applied. like neon tube

crt shoot electrons at phosphor layer

>it destroys itself quickly

No no user, OLED IS the future! And you can have that future today if you'll just open your wallet for a few minutes...

I've had two 100" CRT TV's and they both had very poor geometry and PQ in general compared to small screens.
Same thing with all 32" widescreen tubes I've seen, very poor geometry.

My last two phones (Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 6) have had OLED screens; I did note that when I finally retired the GNexus last year there was some minor burn in around the clock. I've been checking my Nexus 6 and haven't noted any burn in yet; perhaps the technology is maturing.

I should also mention that I bought both phones at launch, and they were and are my main mobiles.

>I've had two 100" CRT TV's

Be still, my heart! Where can I find men like you?

my uncle had one of those giant dlp tvs in the early 2000s. It had the best picture quality I had ever seen until plasmas came along

though most of the times I visited him the fucking thing didn't work since the bulb would constantly blowout
the shit was expensive to maintain

never eating fruit again

What's the problem?
Both were dumbed by 'youth organization', which used them in their educational premises. They were replaced by dozen LCD TV's.

>100" CRT
because the worlds biggest one was 61"?

u trickster

It was literally warm and fuzzy. I miss that. Now we live in a cold bleak LED lit future world with 0% comfy.

agreed.
oh well it was free

>10,000:1 Contrast Ratio compared with 3,000:1 for LED
sauce for this? 3000:1 is basically high-end VA LCD territory, LEDs should be better than this.