ReactOS

Will it ever be relevant?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS
lifehacker.com/taskbar-unlocks-android-nougats-hidden-freeform-window-1786472003
androidpolice.com/2016/08/27/taskbar-lets-enable-freeform-mode-android-nougat-without-root-adb/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, but not yet.

Whenever they reach Windows 7's level of performance and stuff.
Right now it is a shitty Win2k without proper networking, could've used linux stuff desu

this.
once they get it to actually work then it will get twice the popularity it has now.

Eventually microsoft will fuck up and the Windows 10 upstream source will be leak. That will accelerate the development of wine and ReactOS

i wish Micro$oft release the Win95/98 source code soon

Wine and reactos do not use leaked source code

Yes, for normies. Fuck the windows ways of doing things, I know better.

That's like 2 people...wow

It's been at pre-alpha state for more than 10 years
Does it even have devs at this point?

Not anymore than Ubuntu with Wine.

It does. It can actually run proper applications and games now.

Like skyrim

Linux + Wine is better

but they would if they could.
leaks like this would accelerate the development process at an insane rate.

I doubt that they would, for legal reasons.
See the 'internal audit' bit on the wikipedia page
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

Some user posted a video running Skyrim on it.

ReactOS is a shitty OS with Wine.

>Will it ever be relevant?

On the day that Linux becomes relevant on desktops. In other words, never.

And here comes the troll...

Yes, when they stop being cucks and start "dirty-room" reverse engineering.

This.

Fuck Microsoft, reverse engineer everything.

and then get sued for billions and the whole project shut down, yeah, nice idea

S O L U S
O
L
U
S

Obviously not.
There is still some critical software that requires old MS OSes. But by the time ReactOS is ready for critical software, it will migrate to something else.

2/10 made me reply
now kys yourself my man

wait this isnt react.js is it?

I guess you are right, but the fuckers at every major corporation use code of their competitors, just look at how many lawsuits happen with google and oracle alone.

How about not doxing themselves like any same man would?

One more retarded project down, perfect. :))

Wine cannot run drivers though.

Nope. It's a "modernized" clone of Windows 95.

No, and it's already dead.

The best chance of that happening is desktop android

I started to study programming just to contribute to it

Why not port the reactos window manager to linux?

Because normies want to run .exe files by default, is not the wm what they want. There is a ton of win-lookalike wm already anyway.

dank

8)

Lookalike's sure, but not one's with completely identical wm and file manager to nt5.0 or 9*.

It would be too hard because it's literally designed for windows

They should change the name to something more according, something like FreeWIN.

Of course

yeah ReactOS sounds like just one of the gorillion linux distros

It is not linux
It's windows from scratch

kek

but seriously, when is going to change its name to something more recognizable? Its original name was good enough

"sounds like" is not the same as "is", you retard

>reactOS dev decided to make a crowdfunding call
>they get a good amount of cash
>used the money to hire a full-time dev to work on the OS
>they let the community decide which program will the dev make run on reactOS
>Word 2010

>fucking MS Word 2010
>all the things that can be done, all those bugs, only one fucking FS supported and the only paid dev works on word 20-fucking-10

As relevant as an orgasm dressed as cancer.

Original name? FreeWin95? You have to be kidding me, that sounds as bad as Windows XP Gold Edition. At least ReactOS has its own identity.

The community is retarded desu

Indeed it would be illegal for them to use any existing code copied form Windows, but if you can see the original implementation, you can then much more easily write your own code that does not infringe.

>shitty Win2k
It's a clone of Server 2003 with some Vista features.

Think of the big picture. If office runs, you're basically guaranteeing a large subset of OS functionality works. People and businesses are also more likely to consider reactos as a viable alternative if it can do office stuff. The more people who know about and use reactos, the more money they are going to rake in from donations and such.

>If office runs, you're basically guaranteeing a large subset of OS functionality works

Makes sense. Let's hope "making Word 2010 work" means this and just patching here and there and tailoring the OS to work with that only.

>he seriously thinks that anybody will unironically use linux without software that can compete with proprietary one
Get back to ricing your arch distro and end yourself.

They need to complete the compatibility of the .NET Frameworks. A lot of software depends on those.

It's already free as in open

Why? Retailers can already install Windows for free and so can consumers. Anyway, if this thing starts to get popular Microsoft will sue the shit out of it (and, even if they don't have a case, they can still drag it out long enough that the guys running this are forced to stop working on it).

>The best chance of that happening is desktop android

You've got to wonder how seriously they're eyeballing this idea at Google.

Now that Google is really solidifying its place in the mobile space, they've got to be looking where to branch out next.

They've already got their browser on the desktop, and they've got their OS on mobile, so you gotta wonder if there's some way to combine the two to get their OS on the desktop. That's a pretty big slice of pie waiting for them, so you know they've got to be contemplating it.

no

Windows 2k source code has been available online for more than a decade...

Afaik price of Windows license is included into the price of product (e.g. notebooks)

They already had a lawsuit from MS and survived.
Hopefully you can't lawsuit somebody because their product is compatible with yours.

hello, kevin

wtf is ReactOS

can you play gaymes on it?

Most windows games run but they will crash after a while.

How was it made?

lifehacker.com/taskbar-unlocks-android-nougats-hidden-freeform-window-1786472003
androidpolice.com/2016/08/27/taskbar-lets-enable-freeform-mode-android-nougat-without-root-adb/

I very much want them to succeed, as it would be wonderful to finally have a good alternative for people who think they can't let go of windows, and maybe microsoft would straighten up a bit with some real competition for those who still remain.

It will be relevant when it can successfully run minecraft natively without lag.

If it can handle skyrim it can handle minecraft

>they would if they could
That's fucking bullshit.

>two decades behind Microsoft and losing ground at at ever accelerating pace

yeah, just keep waiting, it will be relevant one day

I imagine they actually would, in a perfect world where that wouldn't cause them massive legal issues. Unfortunately we live in the real world, where they won't touch leaked Windows code with a 10 foot pole.

I am clearly delayed by 3 years. It has probably changed a lot since then.

Look up Lindows.

Given that Microsoft pays people to speak about Windows development that are developers for Reactors and wine seems to suggest it's relevant.