When did the internet go to shit and what exactly were the causes...

When did the internet go to shit and what exactly were the causes? I'm working on a plan to fix it and appreciate your input

Other urls found in this thread:

theawl.com/the-internet-is-terrible-because-of-everyone-a-continuing-series-c6843842aaeb#.mgfs00cgu
idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
youtu.be/RvcA75f9_ik
youtu.be/hxbvYWKhX48
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

theawl.com/the-internet-is-terrible-because-of-everyone-a-continuing-series-c6843842aaeb#.mgfs00cgu

>The Internet is poisoning you every day with its constant gush of idiot opinion from the vast waste-ridden tide of people who need to be reminded to shut their mouths while breathing. It is terrible and only getting worse, and the various forms of social media are only amplifying the process and hastening us toward our inevitable end.

When non-programmers got on. When ads first appeared on web pages.

When it started to get centralized

When you got depressed. The internet is fine. It's you faggots.

Sorry can you please not post such large files? You are killing my bandwidth and hdd. Thanks

When the social media meme started.

2007, when the iPhone came out, and gave the normies mas internet access

Whenever the iPhone 3G came out, bringing along all the normalfags.
I also think the expanding "nurrdd culture xDDD" thing has something to do with it, but I can't say for 100%.
>but why the iPhone 3G though?
That's when mobile data speeds were actually substantial enough to browse the internet. I knew people who had the OG iPhone when it was new, but most people only used it to respond to emails and for texting.

Curious as to what you're doing to fix the entire internet

>When non-programmers got on.

So the doctors who were using the early internet to share research between universities were the ones who ruined the internet?

It's more of theory desu. I have a sense that we are nearly bottomed out for how shit the mainstream web can get right now. I think the barrier to entry to shake things up is lower than most people realize because Silicone Valley has built a bubble around itself. It's a matter of setting up an alternative "foundation" of the popular internet for content creators to latch onto. The key is to boil down the web to find out what core components are broken or missing.

I'm looking at this from a perspective of Economic and Political theory in a way. For example pic related really got me thinking about fundamental flaws of how content is aggregated right now. Everything is clicks/likes/views/upvotes/etc. It's widespread enough that people have to unironically talk about the "click economy". That being a flawed system is probably obvious to someone on Sup Forums but I guess it confuses me why no one has bothered to make a more merit based popular platform

For a long time I was trying to think of a reddit killer because it should be low hanging fruit. There a definitely demand for it but the people that try all just rehash a similar formula. But now I'm thinking that it's hard to think up an innovative content aggregator right now because of all the garbage and clutter online. It's actually really hard in general to definitively identify good content and separate consistently good content creators from the ones that are good at playing the current system

just my 2c

Megacorps and Jerrys

idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm

This is a good read. The metaphor at the end about Minecraft vs Call of Duty is spot on for what needs to happen imo

>Ads would become dumb again, and be served from the website they appear on.
I wouldn't mind ads then to be desu

ITT OP complains that all of the internet is shit because he's too dumb to find or be invited to a good community.

>ITT OP complains that all of the internet is shit because he's too dumb to find or be invited to a good community.
Kinda this.

It's true that the web became centralized and few sites hold majority of traffic, but that traffic consists of people who mostly didn't use web prior to this.

There are still small communities around and they still hold equally small traffic as they did back in the day.

What really hits home:
>Everything we do to make it harder to create a website or edit a web page, and harder to learn to code by viewing source, promotes that consumerist vision of the web.
There are many faults with HTML and CSS and HTTP, but what we take for granted is that they are very simplistic at their core. This is what popularized the web; everyone and their dog could make a homepage, a single guy could make a website that is accesible to the world. This had nothing to do with IDEs, frameworks or services, the protocol itself is simple. You can write a static HTTP 1.0 web server in 300 lines of C if you really wanted to. It was this simplicity that made the web accessible but now we dont give a shit, javascript files are essentially closed source binaries, browsers are more complex than operating systems.

Exactly right. I think drudgereport.com is a really good example of this. Literally just one page of links but it gets nearly 2 billion page views monthly, making it the second biggest news portal in the english speaking world and undeniably drives a narrative independent of all the fancy news outlets and social media

These two videos of Matt Drudge's rare public appearances are pretty interesting listens
youtu.be/RvcA75f9_ik
youtu.be/hxbvYWKhX48

The internet stopped being user centric to company centric.