Is it good to learn electronics if you're a programmer?

Is it good to learn electronics if you're a programmer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uYXwCBo40iA
aliexpress.com/item/Wecon-24-I-O-cheap-plc-with-2-analog-input-and-1-ouput-step-7-MICRO/1576523680.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is it good to learn programming if you're an electrician?

>is it good to learn how to cast plastic if you're going to build shit with lego?

Good? "Yes". Completely needless? Yes.

>electrician
implying they could learn programming... kek

Don't listen to the tards in the thread. If you know assembly/basic you can put that knowledge into electronics building. Try playing shenzen I/O, it's semi-realistic. Also you can program arduinos to do cool shit if you feel like interacting with the material world.

>Is it good to learn?
Yes

Why play that game if you can learn assembly and build & learn cool things.

Start with the basics there is also a neat book called "Code" that starts with some basic info about computers.

Because it teaches you pretty well desu

I bought the starter kit a while back and its just been sitting idle in its original box, havent gotten into it after completing some of the projects in the manual.

I have been watching this dudes videos and it got me motivated to learn that shit again, this is the kind of stuff I would like to do as a hobby

youtube.com/watch?v=uYXwCBo40iA

Assembly also teaches you well, there are plenty of guides to learn from as it's given at first year CS students on certain universities

If you want to get into low-level programming, it is a must.

Too simplistic a view, if you are only to be making installations and that sort of stuff, no...

But there are other stuff, here the tertiary electrician technician degree has a year of assembly and low-level architecture of microprocessors on top of some heavy math, it is a mid-tittle of a technologist degree but still...

I am learning electronics and arduino, i think it maybe is good in the future

>Casting plastic

We got a code monkey here

yeah. and always make sure to torque down all the caps to 25 ft-lb.

Why do these pictures always have to be some fucking idiot holding the extremely hot iron instead of by the handle?
And besides the hot metal part, it just looks goofy the way they hold it.

They think they're holding a pen instead of something that will burn their skin out, and obviously no one in the room where they took the picture knew how to handle it. It's clearly a very professional studio

>Why do these pictures always have to be some fucking idiot holding the extremely hot iron instead of by the handle?
>And besides the hot metal part, it just looks goofy the way they hold it.
That's not the only WTF about that pic. Holding the iron like that is the most obvious part. Look closely... the more you look, the more WTF things pop out.

its an oscilliscope probe, user

> he thinks electronics is digital logic

completely unnecessary

He's also soldering a fucking breadboard, and a big fucking torque wrench is on the bench, why?

>Uses a Sup Forums pass
wow

>He's also soldering a fucking breadboard, and a big fucking torque wrench is on the bench, why?
you're getting there.

here's a bigger pic for all you autists to dissect. see what else you can find. I lol'd hard at so many bits.

no it isn't

>Ratchet
>Hammer
>Big Pliers
>Big scew driver
>Holding solder by the hot end
>On a breadboard
>Oscilloscope isn't even properly plugged
I know this is shutterstock image, but fuck.

The o-scope doesn't have a probe plugged in but there is a probe on the o-scope. Wut

He's touching the soldering iron to the package of a chip
Not using the solder
It's on a breadboard
He's holding the iron by the hot part, while it's on
The oscilloscope is displaying a signal, but appears to have nothing connected
Breadboard has a bunch of wires not connected to anything

What more do you want?

Copy that

is that smoke from the iron?

>whats PLC
>whats ladder logic

>ladder logic
What decade is this

that looks incredibly painful

>what are industries using?
you need to get out more

Why do stock photos have the worst tech horrors?

if electricans could learn logic, they wouldn't resort to working on dangerous construction sites and wouldn't have to work in old mold-infested buildings repairing old wirings. It doesn't take much IQ to become an electrician. And if you're bad at it, you'll fall a victim to Darwin in months after you become one.

I just hear bitching about how you dont like the idea that there might be an electrician smarter than you

Depends do you want to be stuck behind a desk or do you want to be stuck behind a desk where you can program and fix computers?

I literally work with industrial machines. Consider leaving your basement.

He has a keyboard.

Sure why not, so you can build your own things.
Example: Mechanical keyboard, and then you flash it with the config you want

>industrial machines
and what controls them?

you should think before posting
t. Industrial project manager

looks shooped in

t. Shit electrician

Yes. Without knowing electronics you're going to be very lost programming microcontrollers. That typically requires you to understand the electronics your code is controlling; debug problems with a scope; understand datasheets, etc.

It's a very good field to get into now. The IOT fad means every company wants a microcontroller on everything so there's a huge demand for people with the electronics and programming competence for microcontrollers. It's like how webdevs had stupid amounts of money thrown at them during the .com bubble. Get into while it lasts.

you seem to know a lot more than other shitposers. whats a good book/video course to learn the basics?

It doesn't hurt, but it won't necessarily help you unless you plan to write firmware for bespoke hardware or something.

I picked up hobby EE work. It's pretty neat.

I'm an electrician in the Navy tbqh

>need an age waiver for nuke and my paperwork didn't get through so I shipped out with electrician rate

Got picked up for pilot tho so it worked out

FOR YO U

actuators you retard

There's already a microcontroller in everything

... now they want them networked

>manager
So as expected, you know nothing about the actual hardware.

haha that's what I was whatthefucking about as well

If you want to make your own devices/gadgets, then yes.

Otherwise, no.

yeah, I too probe my not connected ICs with a smoking soldering iron with my huge ass wrench handy nearby.

Yes.

In my country, the only collage where you can can get proper programming teached (not the web design immediately learning Java, but Assembler -> Pascal -> C -> C++ -> Java -> Python -> Matlab ) is the collage of electrical engineering.

If you want to be high tier proper programmer , you have to know lots of maths, electronics ...

Proper programming =/= Web design, HTML, Video game design ... and other bullshit you can learn in a day or two

How else would we use Matlab ?

>Holding a solder iron on the tip like a pen
>Oscilloscope probes are in the background doing nothing
>The circuit makes no sense, all the wires are just hanging and there's a chip in the middle
>Why is he soldering the chip ?
>Why is there a wrench, and wrench gear
>Why is the holder for the soldering iron on the other side of the table ?
>Don't you need two hands, one for iron second for solder ?
>Where does the oscilloscope signal come from
>Are those gardening scissors ?
>If he is dealing with small circuits why the hell does he need nippers(in the background) and a hammer

too many questions

wtf am i looking at user?

A PLC with digital inputs and outputs.

Example wiring of one.

The Chinese have made them affordable to play around with.

aliexpress.com/item/Wecon-24-I-O-cheap-plc-with-2-analog-input-and-1-ouput-step-7-MICRO/1576523680.html

If it breaks, best way to fix it is to hit it with a wrench.

By far.

>Is it good to learn electronics if-
The answer is yes. No "if" needed.

this is programming for monkeys. Even I'm retarded enough to program this shit, and i don't wanna learn how to use word so i write in libreoffice.

>shilling for cannibals

>le programming is hard meme
Fucking pajeet

When is it bad to learn?

Is this science?

No, that's black magic

>not using superior pen grip for increased precision

Where are you working?
NASA? NSA? lockheed martin? airbus?

or are you just writing shitty low level code for some embedded systems, where code is almost impossible to reuse code in other project because its specific for this hw producer, where IDE is shit and feel like 95', where manual is fucked up and you have to check half of the time on your own with oscilloscope, where after 10 years of xp as senior you are making 3 time less than avg java senior?

hm?

I know embedded system from inside and its funny when some EE student is trying to claim superiority, because after few years of working with shit enviroment you are not able to smell shit anymore.

if you are planning to program in assembly, then ok

Is he trying to burn through the plastic and his fingers?

it's a fun hobby I made some solar powered lights that I can change based on my mood with a nice switch box

I love that they actually turned the soldering station toward the camera so you can see the thing isn't even on. Not only is the display empty but the power switch is off.

>exposed disk platters
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That 888D is on, seems to be at 400C, and an iron is plugged in. Don't think it's the one he's holding, though.

The sponge in the station is dry.

>The o-scope doesn't have a probe plugged in but there is a probe on the o-scope. Wut
>The oscilloscope is displaying a signal, but appears to have nothing connected

The scope probe is connected to the calibration signal node, next to the normal. The probe is not calibrated properly, hence the overshoot on the square wave.

I wouldn't call it useful, but it's fun for sure!

calm down there princess, I'm sure you are very important

>Is it good to learn electronics
yes

That guy's body is so out of proportion

i wanted to do embedded systems at one point but i couldn't arse myself to learn all the math and reading schematics or whatever they're called
had enough of that shit in school

is my post wrong?

EE guys told me arduinos are totally useless to learn EE, but I didn't listen, thinking they're a bunch of snobs.

They were right.

>mfw i work in software dev but too dumb to learn electronics

Majority of programmers are code monkeys. Do not be so quick to judge someone like a electrician, plumber, or whatever. They are pretty much maintaining or installing the same shit over and over just like a code monkey is for the sake of keeping things afloat. Give it another decade or two and the annual salaries will be about the same as well, corporations are pushing hard to get programming taught in basic education (K-12) so they can flood the market and bring labor costs down.

Is there Free software for programming them or do I have to use pirated S7?

Elaborate on your hobby EE work please. How do you find your jobs? I'm a bored EE.

The plataform tends to hide the low level stuff, so technically, you aren't learning.

You do know that somebody have to program real things that do stuff in the real world, that could be you if you want to.

Why do you think those photos get picked by the OP? In the majority of them it's done right, but people like OP pick the few bad ones because they're funnier.

Very.

If Pajeets can do it, then so can we, you cuck.

If you find it fun, why not? You'd be surprised what you can do with knowing the basics, soldering, and programming languages like C and Python with Arduino and RPi.

I started out as an electrician.
We do learn how to program plc's, build basic relay control setups and how to program the various light systems, but you are correct in the assumption that everything is very basic and you basically learn to use something that is made easy to use.
The electrician education is more focused on understanding directives/standards and doing stuff rather than any technical stuff.
We did learn some basic electronics, but nothing like you do at university.

But since then I started a CE degree, and is now writing my master thesis.
So that is one electrician that learned programming.