Hello

Hello

Why are computers working in binary? Why not in decimal or hexadecimal ? Wouldn't they be gazillions of times faster and store more data?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_numeral_system
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer
nookkin.com/articles/computer-science/why-computers-use-binary.ndoc
youtube.com/watch?v=thrx3SBEpL8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well, current can be only in two states: on or off.

WEW

But you can signal data in other ways: amplitude, frequency, voltage or some shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_numeral_system
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer

Yeah, but to detect these parameters you need another device...

Not sure if this is bait, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

The thing with binary is that it's really easy to represent binary data through physical means. In our case, we do so with electric currents. Just like there either is or isn't a current; there is either a 1 or a 0.

I know I'm oversimplifying here.
>inb4 mods mods op is a fag

Think about the following: How would YOU represent 10 different states/values IRL?

Use search engine, Luke.
nookkin.com/articles/computer-science/why-computers-use-binary.ndoc

learn how circuits work

They travel around.

> binary? Why not in decimal or hexadecimal ?

Binary, octal, decimal, and hexadecimal are just was of expressing the same number. It's completely arbitrary which system you use to express them. We use decimal because we have ten fingers and it's natural to us. Computers operate on binary because they boil down to logic gates: either on or off. We often express numbers in computing using hexadecimal, because it's more space-efficient and certain logical traits are more obvious when expressed as hexadecimal.

Thanks for taking my question seriously.
With 10 different voltage levels. A transistor is an amplificator, not only a switch, so that could theoretically have been done from the beginning.

So Russians had a ternary computer at the end of the 50's? This leads to believe that someone made the mistake of going with binary in the early days of computing when there were better options, and the mistake caught on, and now we're stuck with it.

Basically, yes. I think that during the "Moore's Law" phase of transistor / chip development, binary logic was considered good enough.

Now that we're reaching the limits to CPU architecture sizes, I'd expect a serious push to ternary in ~2025 if the benefits are real. I don't know enough about it though.

> Using winblows.

Fuck off normie.

> amplitude, frequency, voltage, or some shit
That's why we invented binary, user.
In the shit you mentioned there is infinite number of state (Volts, Milivolts, microvolts, ...) so an infinite number of errors dependent on stuff like dunno, EM ghosting, low battery life, ...
Binary has 2 states, so no technical error can happen.

Quantam computing is in trinary or more, that's the whole point of observing quantam superpositions

anyway ,forgot to mention those things are still used everywhere.
There are some protocols (PS2 - keyboard, mice) that use this with amplitude, when the signal on pin 1 goes 0, read data, etc.
Frequency was also used on some older parallel communication protocols (means more cables at the same time conduct data) (its not used anymore cuz its cheaper to develop one algorithm that uses just one cable and then in the millions of chips reduce the price for pins by 3/4) - every 10ms for example read the data on the cables (pins) (thats frequency).
Before, voltage was used on analog clocks. Thats why they had time offsets. When the battery went older, voltage dropped and the power was not strong enough to pull the ticking arm / to use timers so offsets appeared.
That doesnt happen when binary used. Its 0 all the time (again, voltage/current is never 0 in practice, but with binary when there is 0.1V it is ignored because it is rounded to binary 0) and switches to 1 when needed to tick.
Shet i need to get a life.

Silicon is reaching the limits, 2025 would be too fast if they aren't already being busy with it or researching for modern systems it's going to take longer than few years.
Not to mention there need to be lots of advantage before someone will fund it.

>what are trinary computers
jewgle it

>he calls it trinary

You can be positive , negative or off

> Wind Waker
My man

Good luck trying to create a 10-states transistor nearly as cheap and small as a regular non-retarded transistor.

Analog computers were shit for a reason

Anons what is the next great leap of computing? Besides quantum

Linux file picker with thumbnails

>Wind Waker
My nigga

that's not true
>i'm never positive

It's proper.

youtube.com/watch?v=thrx3SBEpL8

Very good video, very good channel.