The perfect programming environment doesn't ex-

>The perfect programming environment doesn't ex-

It's fine if you don't mind a clunky fisher price ide and you have a vagina.

For those of us with a penis and balls we have vim.

>>The perfect programming environment doesn't ex-
Did you just die of cancer or something?

fuck man, i dont get how people use that bloated IDE with all the .net specific errors it throws at you. Not a good experience IMO

have fun having botnet code injected into each of your projects.

>The perfect programming environment doesn't ex-
vim

And you have no job, I see.

Emacs

Visual Studio gives you the best, most painless C++ autocomplete of any editor, and the best, most painless C++ interactive debugger of any editor.

If you're writing C++, Visual Studio should be your first choice of editor. I guess it also wins by default for writing .NET languages too. Anything else, use .

The debugger is actually real fuckin' neato
I use it for C++/C#, but find it too cumbersome for anything else.

Qt Creator is better.

I really love the debugger and intellisense, I really hate the 4 gigabytes and also the fact that you have to login to the (((free))) version.

I would still just use text editor + GCC/Clang unless I have to work on a massive project.

I use this everyday and it get's comfier the more I get to know it. Also, resharper is a must

>maintaining ancient .Net software
>$50k/yr
>A job

Yeah OK

I'm a senior engineering student that had to take a c++ course on his first year
The professor made us use codeblocks I think it was called
How shit is it?

You tell us.

kek. this

Old as shit?
Looked as if it was released 15 years ago and has never been updated
There were also some stupid issues with how it handled some punctuation I think but I can't recall at all what was it

Those are some good points. I used it for a week while making C and C++ gl programs for fun and to learn sdl2. It was okay, nothing to complain about.
Actually I want to try it again and see how it compares with Visual Studio which I've been using for the past 6 months at work and is very stable and enjoyable and easy to use, although missing some critical starter items, such as the function to grab some text and indent each line by the amount of one Tab. Sublime Text can do that with a simple shortcut.

>If you're writing C++, Visual Studio should be your first choice of editor.

what if you're developing C++ for non windows?

>not jetbrains
>good
Try again

I'd like an answer to this as well pls

It's shit
I have to use it

I've head about some experimental linux support. Google it.

Use c9.io (gives you a Linux machine so you can simply use gcc and can edit it from anywhere.)
Or repl.it for single files when you're just learning.

linux itself is the best IDE :^)

haha sorry, posted the wrong image guys

>claiming that a glorified text editor is an IDE

vim users pls go

I agree.

Vb3 was nice, I think I liked 4 too, somewhere around 5 or 6 it all went to shit.

Or I grew up

hurr durr

These days I'm writing my code in Atom and compiling it with VS.

It's the least cancerous way I've found so far. On windows at least.

looks comfy

This is exactly what I think of when I think of inferior IDE's.

It tries real hard to ape old versions of Visual C++, but it looks awful, it relies on plugins for basic features, the autocomplete plugin eventually bugs out if you use it for too long, and the less said about the debugger plugin the better.

You might as well use vim.

I have to use this crap for my research. Visual Studio sucks shit.

What's a good IDE for php? Got a class using it a bit and some projects that built on it.

>2017
>Using VIM
>Not Glorious EMACS
Stay pleb

>perfect environment
>Windows

Yeah I'm more of a "keep it simple, stupid" kinda guy. So I'm not too fond of the .NET framework.

C/C++ development in a terminal emulator with no clunky intrusive OS getting in the way is more my schtick

nobody sells code for Linux baka

close
>developing shitty .net software
>$80k/yr
>a job

>perfect environment
>windows

yeah I'm more of a "keep it simple, stupid" kind of guy, so I can't stand the .NET framework. C/C++ development in a proper UNIX environment with no clunky intrusive OS to get in the way is more my schtick.

>debugging code with a CLI

I like CodeBlocks better because it it's less slow and doesn't crash

>not doing this

Yeah it seems weird when all you know is clunky Windows GUIs

But once you make the switch you never wanna go back. It's so much more convenient to have your tools righ at the tip of your fingers, without having to dig through a million windows and pop ups.

starting?
how many years of experience?
how long after college graduation?
doing masters right now?

VS hasn't crashed for me in the past 6 months at work, ever

Weird, I crashed for me this weekend, BSOD and all. All I did was leave it idle for 20 minutes while I ate lunch.

I fucking hate developing on Windows

Only amateurs need debuggers
Linus Torvalds does not use debuggers.
Neither does Terry Davis.

>there are novice programmers that retardedly think CLI tools are bad for debugging code and feel smug for thinking it

Christ the world has gone to shit

I have Windows 10 Enterprise if that makes any difference. and not the pro version of VS, not sure which version it is, not paid

>Download 13 gb to program hello world out of c++
Yeah sure, I have nothing to do for the next three days

>next three days
Sorry your nigger mom can't pay for real internet in your mud hut.

YES GOLEM! KEEP SHI*LLING AND THEY WILL FORGET

It's still not an excuse for an IDE to take up 13 GB. Half of it is straight up bloat, not very uncommon for M$

>muh bloat in the age of 10 TB hard drives

>13 GB of botnet

3 days to download 13gigs? Jesus fuck, what is this 2004?

not just an IDE. You're looking at the C/C++ compiler that does both managed and unmanaged code. C#, ASP, typescript. Newer versions come with Xamarin, but I don't know too much about that other than cross compilation to Android or whatever.

Also does Python, maybe JS...yeah.

I can _guarantee_ that
1. I can write better codes than you and I advocate Vim over Visual Studio.
2. I can also _guarantee_ that I earn more than atleast 90% Sup Forums babbies.

Have a nice day advertising for a company that doesn't need your heroic "effort" to defend Visual studio.

Someday they may even hire you for tech support along with your fellow indians, OP. :)

underrated

But that's a WRONG thing to want to do.
What you want is a set of indentation standards, and a function to indent according to that standard.

The worst thing is that if you use a GUI debugger (like the ones in Eclipse and IntelliJ for example) you only use the keyboard shortcuts anyway.

>microsoft catching up with the most recent meme from nigger twitter

nice role-play

>OP isn't a fa-

see

use intelliJ or PHPstorm

Except for all the sudden shill out of nowhere, Visual Studio is a pretty damn neat environment Especially when someone actually used more than one of them.

Jetbrains IDEs are better

>15gb text editor

Regardless of the truth content of this post, what's the point?

If you're being honest, you're just invalidating yourself by being an ass.

If it's an ebin shitpost, you could at least make an effort to make it less blatantly obvious if you made the effort to type it out.

First answer, best answer.

t. freetard

As much as I hate Microsoft, I really do have to give them credit. It is just so good.
>inb4 paid shill
I wish I were paid. I wish I had money. I wish that I could afford the professional version of visual studio. But the community edition is good enough for me.
The telementry only happened in a singular update for C++ and was fully disclosed and was removed.

In all fairness, this is also the cross-platform development experience of C++.

Anyone got the meme/comic with all the programming languages, where one says 'idk what im reading but its fucking beautiful', which is latex???

it's slow as fuck even compared to intellij
if one guy has a project, and you copy it over, import it and try to build it, guaranteed it still won't work despite all their promises about auto-managed build plugins and shit
it's bloated as hell, taking up over a dozen gigabytes for tons of shit you'll literally never use like 5000 sql addons nobody has ever heard about
shitty proprietary microsoft frameworks that doesnt deserve too exist

In all fairness, this is also the cross-platform development experience.