Why does the GTX 1080 cost ~300% as much as the 8GB Rx 480 yet only provide 50% or less better performance?

Why does the GTX 1080 cost ~300% as much as the 8GB Rx 480 yet only provide 50% or less better performance?

I thought nvidia was the shit, what are they doing wrong?

What's really fucked up is SLI scaling on most games.

It's not a big deal, and you're only posting this thread to convince yourself you aren't poor.

AMD doesn't have a card that competes with the 1080. Take it or leave it.

No I own a gtx 780 and wanted to upgrade to something like the gtx 1080 but then I saw the benchmarks and it makes no sense.

Did nvidia sell people defective gpus? Why is performance so bad for the price

not interested in the rx 480 btw (maybe the 490)

for now

I'm actually afraid of getting the 1080 if the Rx 490 will be twice as powerful as the Rx 480.

With that kind of juice I could get like 120 FPS on deus ex on maximum 1080p settings.

Wow, you're a genyus.

They should sell GPUs at a $/fps in Deus Ex games

Pure genos

>Why does the GTX 1080 cost ~300% as much as the 8GB Rx 480 yet only provide 50% or less better performance?

Because pricing for performance generally isn't linear.

Because AMD is incapable of competing with a 1080, that's why. At that level NVIDIA is the only game in town and as such they set the price. The benchmark you chose is also not indicative of the average performance difference between the cards at all, you specifically picked a game which favors AMD cards.

I don't read follow graphics cards much but will needing one soon.

What kind of price are they expecting?

if those specs are legit i will sell my 290x's and get one when it comes out and another one later this year.

Probably around 500 if I were to guess.

>250w
Lol, fucking housefire shit.

>what are they doing wrong?
Nothing.
They are getting more money than they deserve,
while people who can't do basic math and don't have an intelligent spending ratio based on financial education are getting scammed out of their money.
It's the way of the world.

The reason why so many millionaires are getting bankrupt and lost every year only to be replaced with betters is because those losers think and spend like , while those who replace them have a principled and responsible spending system and education in basic economics and business management.

>so old it doesnt have the 1060
Invalidated. Try again.

Fuck rx 480 it is... Too poor for this shit Riggs.

Lisa herself said that vega will be 500-series
The 490 is 100% speculation at this point, most people are predicting a crossfire Polaris card, since Lisa said the 480 is the 100% ungimped Polaris chip

Fine user, I'll spoonfeed you. If you do the math to reference the numbers to the stock 480 and not the Gaming X, a stock 1080 comes in at ~183%. So pretty much the same shit.

>most people are expecting a crossfire Polaris card
dude we've literally seen the die, its not a crossfire Polaris

>1440p
Try again once more, with more gusto and less shilling.

This is what poor people say

Is that HBM on that die?

Yes

Have you been under a rock?

lol so how many stocks and CDs have you bought user?

What's the matter? OP said he was considering upgrading to a 1080, that only makes sense at 1440p or higher, there's no reason to dump $600+ into a graphics card for 1080p. GTX 1080 is still at 175% compared to a stock 480 anyway, even at 1080p where using such a card makes absolutely no sense.

Should I go down to 900p next?

That's vega though, not what is expected to be a 490

You are aware that there are people out there that are simply more wealthy than you will ever be? Buying a GPU is nothing to them. Spending a few days salary shouldn't financially devastate you either, like you seem to imply.

I doubt a Polaris 490 will come out, what would be the point? Vega is supposed to come out in a few months, where are they going to fit in a RX 490?

No. This is what successful millionaires who replace the failed ones say.
They are successful because they only spend with the philosophy of how fast and how much the investment will pay itself off in a set term,
or how justified the spending is.

Pic related is you.

OP here, mostly looking at the most modern benchmarks like BF1.

In this benchmark the 1080 is only ~50% better than the Rx 480.

Rx 490 or whatever it's gonna be called will be at least twice as fast as a single Rx 480 AND 50% faster than the 1080.

Just trying to not fuck myself over big time.

So you have no stocks or CDs like at all?

So sorry you live starving in africa user.

It's overpriced, have you just now figured that out about the entire Nvidia lineup this gen? Buying a 1080 right now is retard-tier. Look at how bad 980 owners got cucked.

I own my own business you stupid shit and am probably twice your age. Fuck off.

Don't forget that 50% faster frame rate means at least 2/3 more processing

>Rx 490 or whatever it's gonna be called will be at least twice as fast as a single Rx 480 AND 50% faster than the 1080.
The actual demos AMD has shown heavily contradict that though.

Also if you want to look at BF1 benchmarks you should check out DX11 too because it actually performs better than DX12 on NVIDIA.

Vega was shown off playing doom in Vulkan slightly slower than a 1080 in OpenGL
It's already been pretty much confirmed as 1070-1080 tier

Is 4k the end game of graphic cards?. I haven't seen a 4k game, but at 1080p games look "good enough". At what point we will stop caring about resolution?

Isn't DX12 the future and being improved as time goes on?

nvidia doesn't seem to be doing that well in dx12

When 4K VR becomes a thing. By then monitors probably won't exist anymore especially if we can make wifi 4K VR headsets.

Yes it is, unarguably and objectively true even, but that's what was said in 2016, developers still haven't gotten off their lazy asses except in a one-off DX12 title like BF1. Most DX12 titles are not well optimized at all.
It's stupid to be basing your GPU choices off of what APIs are popular, at least right now, since new APIs don't mean shit if the devs don't utilize them

I wouldn't rely on my opinion alone. It could possibly be priced similarly to the GTX 1070... $400 give or take. It's about to come out, just wait and see. Wouldn't want to jump the gun.

i don't know man, more than 15 games are using DX12 now. That's more than what was available in a few months.

How likely is it that DX12 will become the dominant API in the next 2-4 years? Because that's how long I plan to keep my 1080/rx 490 before I upgrade again.

Yeah I know, and how many of those games are well optimized? How many of those games use all the resources that DX12 is capable of? DX12 scales up to six cores, how many new games are you seeing that efficiently use six cores?
I'm saying that DX12 has potential, it shits all over DX11, but nobody is utilizing it properly, meaning that package optimization and core optimization won't mean shit if this keep up, that means we'll end up having to bruteforce all the new graphics with raw speed

But I mean if you're optimistic, go for the AMD
It'll be a beautiful thing when DX12 gets used in the mainstream the right way, I just think my now-proofing is worth a few fps lost in future-proofing

>60fps 1600p on Dirt Rally on Intel integrated graphics
The memes stop here

>64 ROPs

Well. Looks like I'll be sticking with my RX 480 then. How disappointing.

At least there will be Ryzen to look forward to.

>it uses more power than Nvidia so its a housefire

How does it feel knowing that Nvidia cucks you on TDP just so they can emergency release GPUs if AMD beats them?
They've gotta keep your loyalty somehow, right goy?

>Pick a cherry picked benchmark with tiniest possible difference
>Adds tons of smart sounding arguments on top of that
>Ignores the fact that they're all set on a false assumption that the difference between 1080 is so small in every single game
>Gets butthurt when people point it out.

Top jej that's why nobody takes you seriously outside of this echo chamber.

Vr is literally DOA every single time and it will keep being so until you magically remove issues like motion sickness or discomfort for glasses wearers.

>motion sickness or discomfort for glasses wearers.
These are fucking non issues. Price is the only thing keeping it from becoming super popular.

This.

The instant Xbox and PlayStation arrange the deals to provide cheap VR additions to the consoles it will become standard.

leaf poster plz die

gtx650 ti boost 4k across 6 monitors

I'm having trouble upgrading my card, tried a few in the gtx700 series MASSIVE problems.....

are any of the 10xx actually decent at multi monitor?

AMD is not ROP limited with Polaris now.
They're actually shader limited in a weird way where their shaders can never manage to get 100% utilized but still suck up the same amount of power whether they're at 30% utilization or 100% utilization.

VR Motion sickness affects 40-60% of people, and to varying degrees. It's something NONE of the HMD manufacturers talk about because who the fuck wants people to think your product will make them sick?

Plus for the Xbone and PS4 you're looking at a bare minimum 200$ GPU to add into the console, along with the rest of the hardware needed for VR.

PS4 Pro barely mitigates the need for a better GPU, Scorpio will be the first True VR Console. Sadly people will still need to buy the extra peripherals for another 200-500$.

>6 monitors

what monitors and how is your video output setup? i'm interested and only recently got into multi culti monitors.

Because it's not AMD

It's almost like higher end cards give a worse price/performance than mid range cards

on a dev board that is up to 20% slower then final clocks, and on drivers hacked together from fiji so they are good enough to just not crash if we want to talk the doom tech demo specifically, in a case that was completely taped up outside of gpu vent.

im not saying its going to be jesus the second coming of gpus, navi or volta will be if either are mcm and act as one gpu rather then sli or crossfire (which looking at vega and all the shit they put in it that makes no sense currently, makse sense on an mcm), what i'm saying is you are running with a very early showing on a system we know nothing about on a card that was 6 months if not more form launch (doom demo was probably closer to 7 months) and at a price point we dont know.

There is a stratagy amd could employ with the consumer version, it would be shitty, but its a realistic one.

We are going to get bottom bin cards, this is basicly fact, look at the fucking thing, its a data center wet dream of a cpu, and they are farming the data center chips from what we get

1) lock all pro application compute
2) put these out at barely above cost

Look, If amd loses ANY more market share with pc gaming, we are going to see game critical nvidia proprietary shit used, and at that point gg amd, you are never going to be an option again.

what amd needs is a massive test bed for all the vega tech and regain market share. if ryzen does good, they could probably justify subsidising the cost through selling enterprise parts rather than trying to pull real profit from the gaming line.

once amd gets an mcm gpu, then they have entire gpu lineup from bare entry to fuck you nvidia full dies ready to go, because lets be real here, 4 polaris sided dies likely cost less than one vega die to manufacture just based on yield they can properly use alone.

I'm just saying that's what amd is showing off, 1070/1080 performance. That's what they are proud of right now, it's unreasonable to expect vega to demolish a 1080 in everything

hows that youtube channel working out for you?

what amd is showing off is more or less on par with a 1080 at 4k, just shit drivers causing bigger frame dips because it at the last time it was shown off, 6 months out.

1) price/perf is not a constant, high-end gpus cost more
2) nvidia monopolized high-end gpus market (or rather AMD ignored it)

>Sup Forums pass

I dont know why the thick cunts still arguing, you have totally torn all his bollocks hes spouted apart.

This is the most obvious AMD shill thread I have seen in months.

op already has an nvidia card and will probably get a 1080. He's just worried the rx 490 will beat the 1080 (it won't)

The 490 wont come near. Its bollocks.
By the time AMD make a card thats as good as the 1080 nivida will have released the 1100 range

Fucking AMD and Nvidia operate as if they are in cahoots.

>oops we don't do high end gaming fast enough lol you'll have to pay out the ass for vaGsync!

same as the 980ti

>What is CPU/RAM bottlenecking

>Same tdp as a chip that's double the size
So this... Is the power...

the power of poo

>AMD has zero competition for mid-high end gpu
>AMD fanboys shift the argument to cost/performance when it's never, ever been the case for high end discrete gpu

The best bang for buck cards have always been somewhere in the low-mid end. You have always experienced diminishing returns on getting the best performance on any hardware.

>Motion sickness isn't a thing and it's not a major hurdle that will obscure VR from ever becoming more than an expensive gimmick that you buy to masturbate in your basement.

Illiterate Sup Forums in a nutshell. If you believe in something really hard it doesn't just automatically make it real you drooling mongoloids.

Geez user I wonder what happens when you throw a curve ball at 480 RX and play, geez I don't know, every other game that isn't one of those 10 optimized AMD or Vulkan/DX12 titles that I came out in last decade. What's that? The performance gap suddenly widens to 100% while being 50% behind 1070? Oh okay.

AMD drones are so fucking two faced and delusional it's just laughable.

You cherry picked a hardcore case where a 480 RX beats 1060 by 20 fps because of terrible Nvidia optimization.

Now go on and cherry picked a Nvidia optimized game like Gears of War 4 or Witcher 3. I'll wait. (PS: the difference in the first title is 90% and in 2nd one it's above 100%).

AMD is literally using same fucking 5 benchmarks of 5 games released in 2 last years. It's sad to be quite honest.

rx 480 is a mid-high end gpu

>200 bucks
>mid-high end
sure it is, rakeesh

DXMD is amd sponsored game so fuck off cuck with your amd shilling

>$649

Who the fuck give a fuck?

by "mid-high end" i mean mid-high end of performance, not price. 8gb rx 480 is more like $250+ by the way, but I wouldn't expect you to know that lol you idiot!

Because NVIDIA knows 1080 is the most powerful single GPU for consumer out there and AMD CANT MATCH IT so NVIDIA CAN PUT A WHATEVER PRICE ON IT BECAUSE AMD IS SO SHIT COMING UP WITH HIGH END CONSUMER GRAPHICS CARD

Is total war also an AMD sponsored game?

because there is no competition.

If motion sickness was truly such a horrible and insurmountable thing, people wouldn't have ever travelled anywhere by boat.

No it's a dx12 game u cuck. I've seen those same 10 benchmarks of Doom, 5 DX12 titles and Deus Ex for last year, laughable.

okay, for a minute there I though you were an nvidia shill

man too bad about nvidia dx12 performance else I would have bought a 1060 instead of the rx 480 i have now

You either enjoy taking microsoft dick to have better frames on windows 10 or you enjoy taking AMD's dick by butchered dx11 frames. Such is the life of Poojet.

Because GTX 1080 is actually a mid end card. 314mm^2 die.
Should cost no more than 400 USD.

I mean, the fact that the 1080 only has 6 more fps than the 1070 should already tell you that something is going wrong here.

It's all about that 60fps

With some cards you'll max at 60fps, some might average 60fps, but with a 1080 you're pretty much guaranteed 60fps.

Yeah that full hardware async compute really does matter.

>tfw I was brain damaged enough to buy a gtx 970 for $320 a year ago

Diminishing returns. Past a certain point getting better performance gets more difficult=more expensive.

>was