/tpg/ Thinkpad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

staples.com/HP-22vc-215-inch-IPS-LED-Backlit-Monitor/product_1922053
m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W530-2-8Ghz-CORE-i7-3840-32GB-240GB-K2000M-Includes-Dock-/332110054368?hash=item4d534d43e0:g:kIkAAOSwJ7RYTuZC&_trkparms=pageci%3Acf174976-e9de-11e6-bb2d-005056b032f6%7Cparentrq%3A02c8973515a0a25047faedbeffacb047%7Ciid%3A2
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-yoga/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for is there any libretard here?

I librebooted my x200 and installed Parabola, and now my 9-cell battery lasts from 6h to 3h.

Is anyone out there having the same issues?

What do I set Intel AT Module Activation to?

Already have Computrace disabled.

Are these temps normal for a system under load (doing a full antivirus scan right now on high priority)?

Why is the gt core temp higher than the ia core if the later draws much more power? Im not sure I applied thermal paste correctly last time but too lazy to reapply now.

Hey all, I just joined the business class laptop world with the Elitebook in pic related. What is my best bet to hook up two identical external monitors for viewing documents?

Laptop has a DisplayPort and a VGA port.

The monitors have an HDMI, VGA and DVI input. Here's the monitor for reference.

staples.com/HP-22vc-215-inch-IPS-LED-Backlit-Monitor/product_1922053

I once got a Core 2 Duo that got as high as 105 degree celsius.

I don't know if that is normal in a thinkpad but around 90 under heavy load seems normal to me.

If you feel unconfortable you can get up your lazy ass and clean up the fan, and also renew the thermopaste.

Giving it some love always gives back

hook one up via VGA and use a DP to (Desired Connector) adapter. What leetbok is that? 8460p?

What does /tpg/ think about Elitebooks? I've seen some sweet deals on them, heard they have nicer screens than Thinkpads not counting the ones with IPS.

Is there a video where Joe Rogan talks about his new Thinkpad?

why does my wifi randomly stop working?

Now I must rice

Any idea why and if there's anything wrong with my T520 if it briefly turns off (all leds light up and shut down inmediately) before actually turning off when I press the power on button? Basically it does the same sort of 'check up' that it does if you remove the cmos battery. Only does this if I turn off Hyperthreading on the bios settings.

have i gone too far?

fattie

(You)

(You)
(You)
>(You)

Is there a thinkpad that I could get that meets the specs in my image? Or something that I can buy then upgrade? I want something that I can use at work and be mobile.

P-series. Use the perks at work code in the OP.
They have a model that ships immediatly, but has only 8gb ram IIRC (you can just upgrade that) and a 6700hq with quadro gpu

>i7 3.2GHz or faster
I wonder if they realise that not all i7s are made the same.

Look into the W series. Probably W520 or W530 would be ideal value for money and will meet all of those needs save for the CPU (though it'd probably be fine anyway). Later W series or a new P like suggested would work too but the price would ramp up quickly.

Anyone know drivers that work with linux for x131e? WiFi isn't working and can only go through ethernet.

Also if it matters I'm switching to lubuntu since ubuntu isn't the best for a celeron

>Anyone know drivers that work with linux for x131e? WiFi isn't working and can only go through ethernet.
What's your network card? Though Ubuntu should normally have some sort of functional drivers by default.

>Also if it matters I'm switching to lubuntu since ubuntu isn't the best for a celeron
Unless you're worried about disk space, you can just install lubuntu desktop and use it instead.

I don't get it, why do you guys recommend them are they that good price to ratio or are you people exaggerating?

>very cheap for good hardware
>great build quality
>lots of interchangeable parts makes them the barbie dolls of the tech world
>lots of them around mean extensive user community and plenty of support for them
They're just great machines to use and own.

Refurbished ones are pretty good for their price if you can find a trustworthy seller. I've definitely spent $150 on worse things, like sunglasses.

If you read through this thread, you'll see that the most commonly recommended generations of Thinkpad on /tpg/ right now are the 20 and 30 generations (x220, x230, t420, w530, etc.)

You will also see that the first generation that offers "modern conveniences" such as "battery life" is the 40 generation. You can read through the previous thread of someone who got an x240, and /tpg/entlemen pretty BTFO of themselves by listing all of the benefits to be reaped by paying not much more for a much newer laptop. By now, the 20 and 30 generations are almost too ancient to use for actual work. They are acceptable if they will be used around the house to masturbate to anime characters and google "donald trump is right about."

You will not get the "barbie doll of the tech world" when you move up to say, an X240, but you will get a faster and much more usable laptop computer.

How do I get the battery info? All I know is that is Sanyo and holds about 3 hours of charge?

kill
your
self

do
it
now
motherfucker

seriously
nobody
gives
a
shit

end
it
now

So what exactly is good?

Lenovo's power manager on Windows does it iirc.
On linux you can run acpi -i

What are your requirements?

If you need battery life, you will need to go 40 or above.

If you do not, happy hunting.

where's that guy who always posts his shortwave radio? I want one!

burning in hell with the rest of us

Is this a good deal?
m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W530-2-8Ghz-CORE-i7-3840-32GB-240GB-K2000M-Includes-Dock-/332110054368?hash=item4d534d43e0:g:kIkAAOSwJ7RYTuZC&_trkparms=pageci%3Acf174976-e9de-11e6-bb2d-005056b032f6%7Cparentrq%3A02c8973515a0a25047faedbeffacb047%7Ciid%3A2

I'm using an X40 and it's quite fast enough for daily use. It also gets like 10-14 hours of battery on a new 5200mAh chink battery.

Nice little machine and most importantly IT'S A REAL IBM.

>m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W530-2-8Ghz-CORE-i7-3840-32GB-240GB-K2000M-Includes-Dock-/332110054368?hash=item4d534d43e0:g:kIkAAOSwJ7RYTuZC&_trkparms=pageci%3Acf174976-e9de-11e6-bb2d-005056b032f6%7Cparentrq%3A02c8973515a0a25047faedbeffacb047%7Ciid%3A2
Not a bad deal senpai. If I didn't just buy one with a K1000 I would have bought this one.

Snap it up.

>X40
Might get one. an I better off getting an X60?

Are there any drawbacks to such an old machine?

When you guys buy replacement keyboards, do you guys buy new or used? Was going to buy new to avoid pubes and shit, but the price of a new nmb keyboard is significantly more than a used one. Am I being paranoid?

battery life + decent enough hours of video playback

only be paranoid of knockoff keyboards

Damn only 56% of the design capacity.

Please do not get a 20 or 30. You have been warned.

>muh great
Except:
>shitty display
>underpowered for 2017
>gets scratched easily
>touchpad is shit, trackpoint is not as good as MacBooks trackpad
>batteries are almost dead on the used ones and new genuine battery costs as much as the thinkpad itself
And the list continues...

How likely is a knockoff keyboard? I'm just using ebay, but as long as they have good rep I should be good right?

If I want a 0 bloat comfy Sup Forums machine is a t60 still viable?

do your research. Know the signs. Try to get one pulled off of a working system. Message sellers, ask questions and don't get duped.

Just get an x200 and use core/libreboot senpai

>i7 7500U 3.5GHz turbo
>NVME drive
>3200x1800 IPS touchscreen
>3 USB 3.0's, HDMI, USB-C 3.1, SD card slot
Opinions on this?

but muh aesthetics and 16:9
would appreciate it if someone could give me a quick rundown on which t60 is the best to buy, I know some have different screens and so on

I would like this as well.
>tfw you make 75k/yr and can buy any old shitpad you want.

40s are garbage my dude, and the X240 would be the worst of the bunch if the failed abortion that is the second-generation X1 carbon didn't exist

how about those integrated graphics that actually perform worse than the X230 because you only have one RAM slot?

how can you claim to have better battery life when you don't have 9cell + slice option to get over 20 fucking hours on one charge?

it's okay to make mistakes, but you should strive to learn from them instead of claiming that everyone else is wrong

Like I was saying, this: Is exactly the shit that steers people the wrong way. Please read the previous thread's discussion of the x240 so you're not wrangled into believing this fag who is trying to get you to put almost two pounds of batteries on your machine.

Expect it to struggle just browsing the web once you hit badly made modern websites. Just for Sup Forums I'd expect it'd run as well as anything though.

That's just a list of fairly high end shit packed into one machine user, the only likely downsides to it are going to the price and possibly overheating.

>it's okay to make mistakes
Nah he's just shitposting. If the sudden advent of poor quality posts wasn't enough, it's the fact that he talks about last thread as evidence for the X240 being good, when all anyone did was say how shit it was and that you might as well just get an X250.

oh noooo two pounds

fuuuck that's like twice what i can bench

how will i ever handle this immense weight increase of two pounds

i better buy the second-worst thinkpad of all time instead of something remotely respectable because i'm a fucking bitch who can't handle a four-pound laptop

You do realize the 30 series thinkpads have better processors than the 40 series right?

So not only are they worse hardware wise, they still have an abomination of a trackpad/chassis.

Anyone? This shouldn't happen should it?

Those must be some sour grapes up there.

inb4 "I could buy a new one if I wanted to!"

My T410 does that. I thought that was normal for it but could be wrong. Either way it runs fine so I wouldn't worry too much.

So, if Sup Forums says thinkpads have very shitty battery life, what are they actually used for?

They're advertised as kind of portable, cheap work laptops, but are they even good for that? Or do you guys just use them as cheap tech to mess around with akin to Raspberry Pi?

I have an X61s which I just got, haven't tried it out yet though. It's newer, for sure, faster, has two cores, but it is heavier and I'm not sure how the battery life is yet.

If it runs as long as the X40 and does it with more RAM and more cores I will be jazzed though.

Just with hyperthreading off or always? btw I meant turns off briefly before actually turning on.

i have a X220T with dualboot linux/macos and it pretty much behaves like any other laptop or macbook.

>You do realize the 30 series thinkpads have better processors than the 40 series right?
Only if you're buying an i7 x230.

>i'm a fucking bitch who can't handle a four-pound laptop
You sound like you know what the fuck you're talking about my dude! You must totally not be insecure or anything. How dare I suggest not carrying around half of a machine's weight in batteries.

Also, those batteries cost money you dumbshit.

If you don't like the x240, buy the x250 and forget about these poorfags who can't even save up $400.

T60 is perfectly fine for a daily driver user.

This is a Sup Forums general board.

This is purchase affirmation general, where everyone buys deprecated laptops for >$200, only to put SSDs and other shit in them so they can have something to watch anime on while plugged into the wall.

Some of the content here is smart, others are people trying to drag others into the meme.

>poorfags
>the very previous line mentioned how expensive batteries are
Get it together, man.

Hyperthreading isn't making a difference. For clarification, the lamp, caps lock button, mute buttons and power button light up for a second then all but the power button turn off before actually starting in proper.

The battery life isn't bad, just most older thinkpads come with batteries with heavy charge cycles on them, so the battery life appears bad. I guess battery life is relative to how much you need it to last though. My x230 gets a little over 6 hours while browsing, watching youtube, playing spotify, and writing word documents, and that's more than enough for me, also considering it's not like i'm sitting there doing this 6 hours straight. You can charge in between use, or just put it to sleep when not in use.

>Saving up $400 at once
>buying more batteries to support a shit cheap purchase

There is a difference. Poorfags are those who are ignorant of their own poorfag logic.

>buy 5-10+ year old computer
>5-10+ year old battery has poor life
If you buy a new battery, you get battery life which is competitive with today's machines.

I see, what you're describing is the "normal" boot process in mine, that's how it has always booted but what I meant with my issue is on mine right after pressing power button once all the leds turn on for a split second (without hard drive spinning) then turn off inmediately including the power on led and about 2 seconds later it actually boots normally with hard drive spinning up.

>Hyperthreading isn't making a difference.
Seems something's off in mine then, still works fine with HT disabled though, probably an old BIOS bug or something. Thanks for replying user.

>the logic of /tpg/, everyone
Wow, the capacity of batteries are all of a sudden strictly dependent on the date of manufacture, and are all made with the latest developments!

Also, all components are equivalent in efficiency! I absolutely have no understanding of semiconductor fabrication or solid state design!

Excellent shitpost though.

this is delusion on another level

lol no..... with ultra low voltage processors in newer laptops their idle power consumption can be as low as 4 watts. Good luck trying to get an ivy bridge or older thinkpad under 10watts.

Have you considered that the majority of regulars in these threads simply do not like the direction Lenovo has taken with the design of newer Thinkpads? It's not about the specs or the price. It's never been about the specs or the price. If it were about specs and price, Thinkpads would not dominate these threads, but share a more equal reign alongside Elitebooks and Latitudes. What's recommended in the OP is recommended because they work well as entry-level Thinkpads that introduce a newcomer to the design ideals and features on offer without breaking the bank or being too slow for general use. Newer Thinkpads do not follow the same design ideals, so they aren't recommended. Even the --30s are not recommended because of this. It doesn't matter that the --20 keyboard can be swapped in and is all but 100% functional if you reflash the EC. That Lenovo threw out a perfectly good keyboard design just to chase trends is insult enough.

The optic drive on my T420 can no longer read or burn CDs/DVDs.
Is it dead?
Do I need a specific T420 laptop optic drive or you can get generic internal laptop drive and swap the front plate?

you need a specific lenovo one but its not a big deal as theyre worth peanuts

i set both intel at and computrace to permanently disabled

>specific lenovo one but its not a big deal as theyre worth peanuts
I see, I have a spare internal laptop optic drive from an old HP DV6, I thought the front plate could be swapped.
Where I live it's difficult to obtain parts for the T420, And can't order online.
Thanks for replying.

The front bezel is easy enough to remove and should fit any other drive of the same size. If you've got a spare of the same size there's no harm in seeing if it will run.

The spare does run, It's the bezel that I'm not sure how remove.
Pic related, the spare optic drive.

Once the tray is open, there should be a few clips going from the bezel into the tray, that you can push in to get it off. As long as the clips are in the same place on both bezels I'd assume they're compatible. If you need to get the tray open without putting it in a computer, there should be a pinhole you can push something into open it.

my t430s battery has 240 cycles on it and im getting about 2 hours out of it. Lenovo power manager says the battery is healthy though... would i be seeing a lot more battery life if I purchased a new one or is the battery life mediocre on the t430s

See if power manager will give you an exact percentage of design capacity and that'll give you an idea of how much more battery life you can expect out a brand new one.

I see, what about the eject button?
Or if the bezel clips matches would mean the eject button location matches as well?

I didn't really think about that. Only one way to be sure is to try it, but it should be fairly obvious if they wont line up at all. If it comes down to it you could just rely on ejecting through software if you want to have the thinkpad bezel.

My clit mouse's black plastic part is gone, any chance i can just jurry rigged somthing into it or I need to pay for a new keyboard?

My 3 years old battery on the x230 can go for more than 3 hours of light use and 1 hour and half of hard use (video editing/render), that's what I'd call competitive, today to do better than that you need to go over 1000€ and then there are ULV PCs that are not as fast as my full powered i5, and the thermal design is a shit, the thing can definitely stay a full day at full power while staying at 70° rock stable.
Seriously, bought this thing for 230€ 3 months ago and while everyone is skeptical at first sight on workplaces they have to admit the thing is fucking great even for modern standards

You're going to have to be more specific than that user. I doubt it's the keyboard that would need to be replaced, if anything.

Found a red x120e at the thrift store the other day.
Didn't know they made colored shells. Or maybe its because this school did some large order.

Don't know if it works yet as it didn't include a power supply, and I don't know where I put the one I do have for another x120e. Figured it's at least worth it for the parts; my other one has faded keys.

How could libreboot be even remotely connected to your battery consumption?

Anyone got a W520 upgraded to 16GB ram and a (example) 480GB SSD that doesn't mind telling some faggot on the internet how well it performs?
Or are there any websites for roughlyhow well a laptop performs?

literally the same as any other laptop with 16 gigs of ram and an ssd
you can't just say "how does this perform" and not give any guidelines to follow

>expecting Sup Forums to elaborate on anything

r a r e p a d

They made red X1**e series ThinkPads. I want one just to mess around with, but the red ones are never on ebay when i look.

Anyone used the X1 Yoga series? I am very interested in the new version supposedly coming out this month.

shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-yoga/

Pic related

I think you just need a tip.