Why can't they just make a mini-itx sized mac with a real desktop gpu and upgradeable components...

Why can't they just make a mini-itx sized mac with a real desktop gpu and upgradeable components? They were able to do it 15 years ago when miniaturization was a lot more expensive and difficult than it is today. Instead we get nonfunctional trash can designs and "desktop" macs with soldered ram.

They probably can. Apple isn't extremely stupid, just hostile from privacy policy to making products that will cost you more earlier.

soldered components are not a problem, i even prefer immutable things

fuck -u -i

They know what they are doing, look at all the people who are still using old mac pro towers to this day with best in socket CPUs, max capacity ram, SSDs and upgraded GPUs. those people havent been bilked for their shekels in damn near 10 years due to the fact CPUs have plateaued in gains. and all the gains on modern PCs is in the IOs.

Apple fucked over the prosumer/power user market that want some degree of customization for their needs and want to be able to cut some features to their specific needs to save money.

Their only decently specced desktop machine is rolled up in a overpriced LCD housing people don't want. Its upselling 101, thats why they gimped the Mac Mini because a Mini+eGPU could get people exactly where they want on a relatively smaller budget.

If Apple wanted to win back their desktop market they would release a mid tier i5/i7 Mac Pro with some PCI-E slots, socketed CPU/RAM and 2.5 drive bays.

Tim Cook said desktop fans should be excited for 2017, I highly doubt it. They have squandered the last few keynotes.

I took the hackintosh route.

sry for the blog

you can shorten that to
fuck -ui

>upgradeable components
because apple is now a company that wants you to buy a new set of hardware after max. 3 years, it's not steves company from 10 years ago anymore.

Apple has their priorities

I had a dream some days ago where Tim Cook only showed an ultra mega thin iMac with core M processors and that was the only desktop for 2017. Of course it won't happen but I wouldn't ever be surprised in the slightest

this. i would switch back to a mac if they would seel a mid macpro for

Evidently you don't remember the G4 cube. It was more expensive and slower than the normal powermac g4.

this can't be real.

Because that wouldn't take courage, would it? Fuckin' pussy.

This

It's not profitable to let people upgrade

and overheated like crazy

nobody buys a mac to do 3D work or play stupid games
upgradable systems beyond memory and storage are a waste of time in 2017; by the time a worthwhile part comes out you'll be due for a total board swap anyway unless you want to be stuck with shitty old chipsets and I/O

"expandability" is a better word to describe what Apple should be pursuing with their workstation lines, the trashcan is pitiful and sacrifices a lot for its rather lackluster aesthetics that are instantly ruined the second you need more storage (or any other peripheral) than the base configuration affords you

Sounds like a loss for them.

You know, I mostly agree with you, for the general public in the least.

Still, you're right about CPU upgrades. You need to upgrade the motherboard more than anything to get more/new features. You can rock Haswell now and still feel like there is nothing to gain in the processing department by upgrading your CPU.

Listen, Apple Computers are functional. FUNCTIONAL.

And Functional means immutable state. If you could mutate the state of your hardware you'd have a procedural machine and Apple doesn't do that shit. It makes FUNCTIONAL machines for the 21st century.

i take it you never used a g4 cube, huh?

dude that totally shifted my paradigm man

because Apple is iPhoneâ„¢ Inc now

I'd go the hackintosh route but I have a pascal card

I hate using Windows but it's the only way. All my required programs are either on Windows/Mac with no Linux port. I'd settle for Ubuntu or Mint, even.

give up the gaymen and you can be liberated from the need for latest GPUs.

just did it a month ago and god damn it feels good to not feel like a piece of shit after poopsocking some game for a few hours

>what is: rendering

most people who actually do it professionally rely on render farms for that shit not their gutless encumbered workstations

and nobody with a brain uses Macs for CAD or 3D modeling anyway

I'm not sure who to blame, Apple probably has a lot of smart people, and might even have projects like OP describes in the labs. But the strong personalities like Ives with their thin fetish probably win out against the more practically minded engineers.

Hackintosh be good, but I suspect Apple wants to go their own way with desktops again.

Are you fucking serious?

Thank you. I actually tried hard to make a funny post people could give me (YOU)s for.

It's nice to be appreciated.

>Nostalgic user experience

Surely Apple can't have their heads that far up their own asses

Apple used to do this for their high end workstations. I suspect there isn't that sort of demand anymore and the demand that is there comes from companies with deep pockets (movie studios, music studios) who were fully kitting out the machines they bought anyways and werent trying to save a few dollars buying ram elsewhere.

Like it's shitty but Apple has two customers: the folks who want things to just work, will never upgrade (even if they have the skills to do it) and professional where a $5000 computer is one of the cheaper pieces of hardware they use in their work.

They don't have a in-between and it's not worth the support costs and engineering time to deal with that segment.

rumor is the next mac ""pro"" will be an all-in-one like the imac/surface studio.

apple will effectively merge the 5k imac and mac pro lines which is why they discontinued the tb display.

>mini-itx
Gaymer garbage

i'm all for it, for reducing the number of device models, 1 mini, 2 imacs, 1 mbp, discontinue mba

But there was still a PowerMac G4 on the market at the time.

>Not dropping in a dual G4 and a 80mm fan

Used to be mac had pro desktop, consumer desktop, pro portable, consumer portable. And it was nice. "1 Mini 2 imacs" is not that.

is there a nice compact case to build a hackintosh like this? all the small cases look like crap and are painful to work with

to be more precise, what i dream about:
mac mini, $600-700
imac 21.5", 1920x1080, $1000-1100
imac 24", 4K, $1500
mac pro 27", 5K, $2000-2500
mbp 15"
macbook 12-13"
no mba

A MONTH?

They are raising a generation of people thinking of PCs exactly as of their phones - unupgradeable black boxes. You can't blame them - idiocracy have been scientifically proven recently.

fake and gay

mini-itx was originally designed for industrial embedded applications

(you)