How autistic would it be to game on dual xenons + ECC ?

How autistic would it be to game on dual xenons + ECC ?

Asking for a friend.

you'd be an absolute retard for getting said components for only gaming, but if you had an actual reason to use them, go ahead. you're still a retard in the end anyways.

xeon aren't build for autistic manchildren to put rgb led on it

>xenon

Go back to

the xeons and ecc ram may not be made for gaming but it's entirely doable.

i keep a ubuntu VM for steam on my main rig.
she sports dual xeons and ecc ram.

i am autistic.

I honestly havent touched a game in at least 18 months. Mobile ones including. I spend my free time skyping my fiance, learning more maths/coding or brushing up on my chinese.

I actually have my own place now and looking into something to have some fun with.

I'd like a set-up that could conquer just about any task from video-editing, gaming, server set-up, etc.

Might also go grab some routers and switches and go study networking again idk.

>Ubuntu VM for steam
Why?

instead of buying one very expensive & powerful computer, why not build several smaller & cheaper computers purpose-built for each application?
>torrent client & media server
>video editing & games
>backup server
>email & word processing

because amdgpu-pro drivers on opensuse don't support 32-bit applications like steam

Not autistic. Just retarded. Not even in the "overpaying for little gain" way retarded, you'll literally get worse performance.

>tfw my friend bought a gaymen computer with a 6 core Xeon in 2012

Possibly, but I'm a militaryfag here. Limited space + inevitability of moving commands.

because mutitasking exist on even shitty computers

I have a dual 2630 v4 with a 1080 and it handles games just fine. It might be nice to go with a slightly faster clock speed but whatever, 40 cores chews through 3d rendering and video editing and gaming is very much secondary for me.

A computer built for gaming and video editing will handle everything else as background noise.

not all these need to move with you though.
you can set up a headless torrent client & media server in some family member's basement or whatever, backup server at some other location, then just have one computer with you to interface with these. for that, i'm not sure you need server hardware in the machine you have with you.

true, but:
>you lose the safety of offsite backup storage
>your torrent activity will affect latency in games
>no opportunity to learn about setting up your own little network

I live in glorious nippon on a military base famalam. Not sure that's an option for me.

Just get some refurbished dell r710 with dual xeons that support vt-d and plug in the GPU in there. It'll cost you $ 500-700 without the GPU. Perfect for gaming.

It can be loud though

Not virtualization and ZFS.

>your torrent activity will affect latency in games
if you are on linux you can just use shedtool to adjust priorities

do you mean schedtool, user?

Why the hell not? It's just many games won't use all cores.

I'm gaming on x5650 OC'ed to 4.1 ghz, no ECC, 1060 3GB and getting in Overwatch 150-250 fps (1080p, most settings low, 100% render). It's a cheap upgrade from i7 920 that I had before it.

Gaming CPUs have virtualization instructions.

Especially vt-d.

Yes, especially vt-d. Even some laptop ones have it.

Yet few i7s have it

> autistic
Not autistic. True power for a true manchild.

This is the worst advice ever given on Sup Forums

Every 6th and 7th gen i7 has it.

yes

I don't think so.
> Microservers for data, encrypted Linux
> Laptop for web browsing/WP
> Big PC tower for games and video encoding, virtualization, anything else
I had a single multi purpose PC, but it's like driving to work on a freightliner. Multiple computers are modular, they are easier to maintain and carry around than one bulky XL-ATX case with HDDs.

Alright you won. Sorry.

Even Ks?

> xenons
Great white light. Endorsed.

Even ulv laptop ones.

the purpose of ecc ram is to protect the data that is copied into and out of ram. Unless you are into data storage or electronic finance transactions then its just a meme for you.

Because most of the time all your desktop machine does is sit idly and waste CPU cycles, and therefore energy.

So instead of getting several smaller and cheaper computers purpose built for each application you get one big and powerful computer and run virtual machines. By that you manage and utilize your resources better.

Ok, but you're making some assumptions that don't quite ring true. For example, keeping a single powerful computer running (torrenting, serving media, etc) is going to put its big powersupply under a very inefficient load. Alternatively, you don't need to run offsite machines entirely off your own resources: a headless torrenting machine could be shared between friends.
Another option with offsite machines is the possibility of stealing power. If electricity is free for some remote machine, you can even donate free cycles to the greatest botnetnet of them all: BOINC.

I'm pretty sure my T420 with i5-2520m also has vt-d.

>is going to put its big powersupply under a very inefficient load
So instead you choose to run multiple small machines under the same inefficient load? Doesn't make a lot of sense

i have an "inefficient load" for you if u know wat i mean user

No user, a powersupply is most efficient running at 50% load. So if you know a machine will have constant load levels, you can buy the right PSU to supply that wattage most efficiently. Buying a big PSU to cover all cases will only get maximum efficiency in some fraction of its actual usage.

No

forgot pic

>Let's just introduce multiple points of failure and complexity because I say its better

>230VAC

absolutely disgusting

>more efficient across all loads
>ameriturd will call it disgusting anyways
no wonder you elected trump lmao

Distributing points of failure is a feature.

You build one computer and your PSU dies. Now you have no functionality at all.

Explain why you destroyed your culture and people with sandniggers

Redundant power supply solves this problem while still being more cost efficient, energy efficient and resource efficient, than the solution you suggested

>

So now you have 3 power supplies to crap out on, and 3x the cost? How is this better,?

That's the most polish picture I've seen all day

>not even polish myself, but had this weird tradition explained to me once

No.

>polish
>blond
pick one

Yes

jokes on you I am on glorious nippon 100VAC. you gonna tell me you know power supply better than the electronics capital of the world?

>calling a computer "she"
Autism confirmed.

>calling a boat "she" is autistic
>calling a car "she" is autistic
Didn't realize autism affected most men.

meant for

> multiple points of failure
Well, you see, I'd rather have one storage with GFS die than one PC which serves everything. If you don't want it - don't do it, I know what's better for me because I went from a "single PC for everything" concept to a "multiple dedicated devices for multiple tasks", I tried both of them.

(Some) Games have become much better about being multithreaded, but core clock and IPC are still extremely important, to the point where I'd say that as long as you have a 4C/8T i7 you'd rather want to push the clock as high as possible than get more cores.

AFAIK dual socket capable Xeons tend to be of the low clock/moar coars flavor and such a system would get absolutely savaged in terms of running games compared to the latest Kaby Lel 7700K or any other remotely recent Intel CPU that can clock high. Depending on the games you run and the graphics card(s) you use, this will have a greater or lesser impact but if you're going to use some 2.5GHz CPUs or some shit you can easily expect a significant downgrade in a lot of scenarios.

Unless you have a very specific application for dual Xeons and plan to use it extensively, it would be wildly stupid to buy such a system.

It's not possible,you having friends.

>skyping my fiance
KEK'D

>skyping my fiance
C.
U.
C.
K.
E.
D.

XEON FAGGOT

You should just get a single Xeon and overclock it.

stfu i moved to japan recently

I do

>dual 2630 v4
>40 cores
you dont have 40 cores you retard

>Implying europe is the only country that uses 220-240V

Its time to stop posting.

>implying Europe is a country

It's time to stop posting.

If the game is optimized for so many cores the Xeons will do extremely good. ECC will make absolutely no difference.

And ten years old, costs as much to run as keeping your microwave on. You can accomplish the same task with much leaner hardware, trust me.

>And ten years old, costs as much to run as keeping your microwave on.
no

>americans

>300w at idle
Top kek

she's gettin fucked by jody