What's the UI gonna be like in 18 years?

What's the UI gonna be like in 18 years?

The simpler the better. Retards go for shinyyyy things. Btw. Sup Forums's favorite song these days.

>the simpler the better
>retards go for shiny things
Which of these looks cleaner to you and which one looks simpler?

None of then. Been using Unity on Ubuntu.

Dressing up the same wimp shit with whatever colors and styling are trendy then. Maybe a few less menus.

I can't wait to be pissed off in the future

Is the the future desktop thread?

Flat, boring, dead.

Hopefully in 18 years we won't even need a UI, we will all be connected to the neural network, where we wouldn't need to be living in the flesh and we can source all our creativity through prana and the sun.

but for you losers who won't give yourselves to the glorious botnet, it will probably look like the way it is now but with holograms with ads for doritos and mtn dew

That's objectively disgusting

>wannabe future hexagon
>Kayne West
>wannabe HUD elements
>system monitor
>rain meter
>hot deals
>dota
>pushbullet
Didn't know this was a trigger thread. Background is more or less ok.

Brain computer interfaces will make UI obsolete.

Smartglasses will come back.

Hopefully, instead of computers we will just get plugged in, matrix style, into some kind of virtual reality, eliminating the need for UI. This of course is based on the fact that VR will always have a fail-safe that will let you force unplug yourself. Which it probably won't and millions will die.

Agreed. A bit of color for markup, readable text, and efficient controls and I'm usually happy.

This is simple.

It's also useless for anything other than text
Next

If you've been alive for more than 30 years you'll know it goes monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat > monochrome > gradients > glossy > flat

rinse and repeat

nice desu ne

lame

Just shut the fuck up.

Baby's first attempt at rice? Holy shit it's bad.

Remove monochrome and you're right

Why? You know this is true. The ones responsible for the VR world will probably push a rushed patch, killing a shitton of users because fuck testing.

Saved this is great bait.

Here's UI circa 18 years ago for the myopic bunch in here.

>2017 pass
plebeiaen

I use a mock-up of it in the current year.

Jesus christ how horrifying

>Need for Speed II
>Quake III
>Winamp
>WinZip
nostalgia/10

This, I'm today already. They will simply leave many options and other things away. Instead will be more HUGE buttons filling the whole monitor. Simple and clean and modern is good but please don't make options inaccessible.

That's 2012, you nigger

How's it really any different than 2017 UI?

All the same elements are there
>desktop icons
>start menu
>quick launch
>system tray

Not trying to be "that guy" but the experience is largely the same

I want no local storage anywhere near me other than maybe caches. No disks, no state, my world entirely in the network. Storage needs to be backed up and maintained, which should be someone else's problem, one I'm happy to pay to have them solve. At Bell Labs we worked in the Unix Room, which had a bunch of machines we called "terminals". Latterly these were mostly PCs, but the key point is that we didn't use their disks for anything except caching. The terminal, even though it had a nice color screen and mouse and network and all that, was just a portal to the real computers in the back. When I left work and went home, I could pick up where I left off.
A bit like phones: You have a phone just so you can access who/what is at the other end of the connection.
Twenty years ago, you expected a phone to be provided everywhere you went, and that phone worked the same everywhere. At a friend's house, or a restaurant, or a hotel, or a pay phone, you could pick up the receiver and make a call. You didn't carry a phone around with you; phones were part of the infrastructure. Computers, well, that was a different story. As laptops came in, people started carrying computers around with them everywhere. The reason was to have the state stored on the computer, not the computer itself. You carry around a computer so you can access its disk.
In summary, it used to be that phones worked without you having to carry them around, but computers only worked if you did carry one around with you.
My dream setup, then, is a computing world where I don't have to carry at least three computers - laptop, tablet, phone, not even counting cameras and iPod and other oddments - around with me in order to function in the modern world. The world should provide me my computing environment and maintain it for me and make it available everywhere. If this were done right, my life would become much simpler and so could yours.

Mate, monster truck madness

>that clusterfuck

I'm hoping that in 18 years we will have VR rooms as our computer's main user interface.
In case of desktops, who the fuck knows? Probably something similar to windows but even more normie friendly and filled with ads.

What if you're already plugged in right now?

VR will probably be mature enough in 18 years for that. But plugs that connects directly to the brain are so far right now, besides being dangerous as shit.

>Year 2026
>Spend 3 months wages on brand new Microsoft™ MindUI helmet
>Plug into your PC and boot up
>Windows 10 Deca anniversary edition assumes control
>Immediately installs Candy Crush 47 on your frontal lobe
Your consciousness is trapped by the botnet for a gruesome 37mins before the helmet is forced to reboot to install an update
>A few days later you are walking down the street and suddenly keel over in immense pain
>Microsoft has reserved adspace in your mind
>Assume the fetal position and proceed to scream at strangers
> MEET HOT SINGLES IN YOUR AREA

>Unity
kek, literally worse than windows

Lol good plot for Black Mirror

Simple. Windows got stuck with user inertial experience.

Users can't adapt to a new UI, as seen from their Win8.1 Metro UI start menu fiasco. People just couldn't adapt.

So they went back to the same ole same ole.

Most computer users are dumb shits. That's why so many large websites look like shit with shit menus, because normies can't navigate thru anything that has more than level 1 complexity.

one day

The same as as they are now. OSX for rich, Linux for poor/geeks, Windows for everyone else. All OSs are already covered for our society and they will pretty much look and behave no differently than they do now.

>10 years ago, think pic in the OP would be the standard for UI in 2017
>End up with disgusting flat UI and hyper minimalism born out of the same visual design used in children's books.

THIS NEEDS TO STOP NOW

hyper minimalism hamburger menus flat ui >>>> this retarded holo space futuristic shit people from 10 years ago were enthusiastic about

thems the facts

just no

Mine will look exactly the same.

t. numale web designer that thinks children's storybook UI design is perfectly acceptable.

in this worldview of yours, at least im getting paid LMAOO

Probably something like this

integrated ads everywhere
still no design consensus and every developer still thinking his own program needs a distinct visual style for some reason
java still looks like swing
lag in everything you do
icons have become incomprehensible

I don't care whether you're being paid or not friendo. I just want someone to finally admit all of this retarded nonsense is just an attempt to jew people out of money for not being creative or wanting to put in effort into good design.

I miss good design trends desu

I hope you didn't post that picture as an example of good design

like pic related

>all of those desktop widgets
>still doesnt hide the taskbar

So the only thing that will change is [current year] incrementing

>Implying International Typographic Style isn't god tier

>that virus warning
lord

What is this?