Linux does something you don't like

>Linux does something you don't like
>"Cool, something to tinker with! I love customizing my OS."

>Windows does something you don't like
>"fucking Microsoft reeeeeeeeeeeee"

Face it lincucks, you're blinded by your faith to Richard "currency backed by toenail clippings" Stallman

Other urls found in this thread:

techrights.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/comes-3096.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There is a difference between software trying to serve me as best they can and not quite succeeding (requiring me to tinker with it), and software actively trying to sabotage me for profit (requiring me to combat it).

Personally, I find the former rather more tolerable than the latter.

Works on my machine

Seriously though, a vanilla copy of Windows 10 doesn't do any of the stuff that gets posted here on Sup Forums

We call this Stockholm Syndrome, OP.
>I just fell of the stairs! Honest!
>He would never actually abuse me! I know he loves me!

unix like oses are popular among developers. Get over it normie.

I'm not OP.
I also don't understand your point.

The bottomline is, I installed Windows 10 after getting pissed off by Linux and now everything works much better.
Sounds like you're the one with Stockholm syndrome.

The difference is that on Linux you can tinker with it, but on Windows you have no other way but spread your ass cheeks and hope that Pajeet knows about lube.

This.
Especially when my enterprise overlords have locked every little option to tinker.

My experience is the opposite.

Windows: Google problem, usually a registry edit.

Linux: that's a bug and you're gonna have to live with it until some unpaid developer with no motivation fixes it.

>>Well, whatever, time to change some settings so it works like I want it to or try another DE.

>>You're fucked, you can't customize it and there are no alternatives.

>it's embedded into Kernel and to remove this "feature" you need to rewrite while fucking thing

yea, tinker with that faggot.

Linux does something you don't like.
You learn why and gain the knowledge of how to deal with it .
Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for the rest of his life vs. fish are proprietary and availabe for a licensing fee. May not be eaten and modified to poo unless utilizing a Microsoft designated shitting street.

90% of the time with Linux, when I want to customize something, the first Startpage search result is a Stack Overflow question with an answer that tells me exactly how to do it with a bash 1 liner.
90% of the times I want to customize something in Windows, the first and all the following Google search results are ads for/howtos involving some closed source application I have to install and constantly run in the background that also installs adware and gives aids to everything on my local network.

>unpaid developer with no motivation

gr8 b8 m8, I r8 8/8

>things that never happen: the post

What are some things you can't customize in Windows?

>windows doesn't do something you'd like, at least by default
>okay, I'll just either pirate a tool for this, wait for Microsoft to realize it's useful or use a Mac or Linux if I'm not a winbaby. This is COMPLETELY acceptable, I mean why shouldn't it be? I can't expect an OS to do everything I want out of the box...

>linux doesn't do something you'd like, at least by default
>REEEE WTF? WHY ISN'T THIS WINDOWS AND WHY CAN'T IT PLAY MY EXE FILE?!‽¿ I'M GONNA CALL THE LOCAL NEWS, THE WORLD MUST HEAR THIS!

>"Cool, something to tinker with! I love customizing my OS."

Yeah it's fun, shame it doesn't happen too often

>I installed Windows 10 after getting pissed off by Linux

>everything works much better
Even the filesystem is garbage on w10. Maybe the drivers' API can be called better and the vanilla scheduler are more desktop friendly, but that's all.

The option to turn off telemetry

>buying something
>it's a steaming pile of shit
>don't whine because you will be a lincuck and autismo worshipper
Two digit logic.

OP, why are you referring to the GNU operating system as "Linux"?

First of all, get fucked OP for making another cheap bait thread.

Secondly, it's not true. I fucking hate Poettering and every piece of shit software he managed to mangle into the average linux distro. The only difference is with linux you get to be pissy with all kinds of individual people, where with microsoft you just get mad at the company because fuck them entirely.

Reminder that sage goes in all fields.

>>Windows does something you don't like
>>"fucking Microsoft reeeeeeeeeeeee"
yeah, because if i paid good money on software, i expect it to deliver.

That's why stable distros exist. You have choice.

T
H
I
S

sure fa.m. need more lube?

Face it, you can customize it on Linux, but not on Windows, you corporate shill.

What can't you customize on windows.

Not being assfucked by Microsoft in every way they wish.

>
>The option to turn off telemetry
Telemetry is fine. Who cares. For all I care bill gates can look at my files. They control my PC so what

Smarter people has always been on charge. I don't give a shit

>you're blinded by your faith to Richard
It's funny what the guy implies in this image for linux users when microsoft is the one who actually instructs their employees the way you're describing here:
-For them "evangelism is war"
-MS is the one who has something akin to indoctrination: is teach at schools to people when is young.
-MS doesn't tolerate the existence of competing technologies, for them the only true victory is when the competitor closes their business.
-MS actually encourages their employees to spread FUD.
-MS actually pays people to manipulate opinions and shut up criticism and buys positive reviews on media.

See: techrights.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/comes-3096.pdf
There's a lot of funny things to quote.

I don't understand. what's wrong with tinkering your OS to make it do something you like?

It's interesting how fans can be "trained" into defending something relentlessly, even when their thing does something incredibly stupid. Usually when the thing is a bit chaotic and does good and bad. Particularly noticeable with Trump fans but also bitcoin and Apple. I wonder if there's a name for the phenomenon

I hope you're just "pretending".

>no alternatives
There is linux

Because when you don't like something in Windows, you can't do anything about. One would expect you could come to this realization yourself user...

Only a vague answer. Something tells me you're just a shill for the gnu corporation.

wrong

>Linux does something I don't like
>"Oh well I better fix this"

>Windows does something I don't like
>"Microsoft says it's a feature so I probably shouldn't question it

>I don't understand what having control of my own computer means
You've been stuck with Windows so long you don't even know what having actual control over your PC means

>Linux have a bug, do something i don't like
>Fix it or use an alternative to this component

>Windows does something like that
>Can't do anything, need to shutdown the process (if windows wants to) and have to reboot the computer hoping it won't happen again

I have never been happy when any OS did something I didn't want. IDK what you're rambling about.

Not him but :
Pick a better fs, have another DE, wm, modify its keybinding to what you want, change any component of your system to another...
And the list goes on. You should have a good idea now.

the majority of DEs and WMs are extremely similar to the Windows interface anyway or only deviate from it in superficial ways

only tilers are really all that different and while it's understandable to just like them and use them that way, shitting on other platforms for not offering them like it's some kind of god-given right is retarded because they're ultimately a placebo for retards who use them as a crutch to feel productive

>change any component of your system to another
it's an extremely valid point against NT shills who try to act like it's anywhere near as modular, but let's be real, who the fuck actually does this for a typical desktop use case?

>asks for something Windows can't do
>gets told about something Windows can't do
>lol why do you want to do that?
Microshills, everyone.

>Linux makes a change you don't like, simple fix
>Microsoft makes a change you don't like and it's literally impossible to fix
Gee Billy

because it's straw grasping that nobody gives a shit about in the real world

Isn't the biggest difference here that if Windows does something you don't like, you don't really have any way of changing that behavior into something you do like?

At least with linux there's usually some way to get around a behavior that's undesirable.

Except for the fucked-up middle click. Seriously fuck that noise.

I can choose different file systems and modify key bindings on my windows pc.

>install windows 10, everything is slow, my HDD is being eated and my ram usage skyrockets

>install Fedora, got broken packages at first upgrade, got shitted on with wine's dependencies

why is every OS a shit

Name one fs Windows can use that's not NTFS or FAT32
protip: You can't

Windows still handles workspaces horribly, doesn't have a tabbed file manager, shitty file system, and is only just now getting bash. When you say "real world" do you mean people who use word processors exclusively (liberal asshats taking arts degrees)?

Name one good fs that Windows can't use.

true op

when windows is bad, you're basically fucked and probably have to turn to some nonfree "ENTERPRISE" garbage ware, write some god awful WIN32 cuck shit or basically kill yourself.

EXT4
Are you fucking retarded? The only fs Windows really can use is NTFS and its a steaming pile of shit

>Windows still handles workspaces horribly
this is true, it's one of the biggest things I miss going between the two
>doesn't have a tabbed file manager
personally I don't understand why people want this so badly, tabs get lost too easily, never used them on any *nix system
>shitty file system
bikeshedding in the context of consumer/desktop use, stop being a tryhard
>and is only just now getting bash
too dumb to remember Interix and Cygwin?
>When you say "real world" do you mean people who use word processors exclusively
the people who use their computers as tools to get a job done instead of a lifestyle/ego stroking device?
the vast amount of businesses, universities and other institutions who order fleets upon fleets of NT systems every year based on the decisions of people much more well versed in the demands of their userbases than you or I?
>(liberal asshats taking arts degrees)
don't use strawmen while trying to take a position of authority

You're the one taking a position of authority here, and it's hilarious since you don't even know what a strawman actually is. Linux and OSX are better than windows in many ways. There's a reason so many people shit themselves over OSX. The only thing windows has going for it is staggering software support (games included). It falls short in almost every other way. If you don't know that, it's not really my problem. Best of luck with reducing your ignorance.

keep saying "no u" all you want but it doesn't make you look like any less of a dumb bikeshedding tryhard who doesn't even know what fucking Cygwin is

The fact that you keep bringing up Cygwin as if its relevant shows that you've never actually used it
Its okay if you just want to have an excuse to have bash on Windows but for any practical purposes its fucking trash

The difference is I can change the thing I don't like in Linux because it's open source. I'm closed into however Windows wants me to work.

>everyone is stupid but me

ZFS - Extremely heavy but has an incredibly mature featureset with guaranteed stability
BTRFS - Slightly unstable but cutting edge and feature rich
EXT4 - Traditional journaled file system, better than NTFS, great support in any distro
XFS - Wicked fast and lightweight, highly scalable with low overhead

All notable file systems that Microsoft has the complete source code for, yet, cannot provide support for.
Windows so far has:
FAT16,32, and ExFAT - Scaled up versions of the all popular FAT
NTFS - Hunk of legacy junk that you can barely trust past 2TiB

>Linux distro does something I don't like
>Fuck those assholes, I'll just switch to a different distro.

>First and only Linux distro is Slackware
>Patrick never does anything I don't like
>mfw

>>Linux does something you don't like
>>"Cool, something to tinker with! I love customizing my OS."

This is not my reaction when something breaks in Linux. My reaction is usually "oh fuck, what now" followed by several minutes to hours of troubleshooting because Linux often doesn't even have the courtesy of providing error messages to give you a hint as to what is going wrong.

Still better than Windows tho.

You don't need a disk bigger than 2 TB.

Windows users, everyone

The more you have, the safer it is.
Especially in large back ups in redundancy.

You're right though, if you're on Windows, most of the users (normies) doesn't need more than that.

>most of the users doesn't need more than that.
I've actually found it to be the opposite for gaymers since they download their entire steam libraries they use up their entire disk

No, I ignored your reference to cygwin because it might as well be a joke.

As for your repeated accusations of bikeshedding, that isn't what I'm doing. The functionality you're arguing for can be gotten out of mobile OS like Android, iOS, and Chrome OS. You can go ahead and use those. It's not bikeshedding to expect an OS to add features as they become available; that's called progress.

"Why would we ever use AC? DC is much safer."

Well, most gaymers aren't that much normies to begin with. In their case, they should just add multiple 2TBs.

I wonder though, with that trick of using a GPU/Passthrough if storing the games in ZFS, would it work on the Windows sessions? I'm not really advance to elaborate on that matter. I keep my stuff separated. I just thought about it now about the possibilities but I guess it doesn't work.

It wouldn't, GPU passthough is still a VM so the games would have to be on the virtual drive

>The more you have, the safer it is.
Right, but aren't the larger HDDs more prone to failure?

That's what I thought, thanks.
Oh well, let's just hope one day that Windows gets access to other FS format.

At least hey, they can still do raids. I guess.

>error messages
There's error messages,they're just not in your face.

Yes,now make me a sandwich or you'll get another beating.

Well, last time I checked it used to be that way.
Apparently nowadays 1TB is more at risk than a 4TB. Which I found weird out by that news. In my days it was better to have 2x 500GB in raid0 than a 1TB to reduce failures (btw, I still have that in a machine running since '06 with the same drives). They're WD Blacks.

So yeah, I don't know if it's about a meme or a gimmick from the companies to shell out more monies but yeah, last time I heard 1TB are more prones to fails than a 4TB.

I am still septic about it.
I personally only seen one HDD fails in my life and it was because that person moved the PC while is was doing back ups.

So yeah, not from using but an accident.
I personally don't use redundancy back ups but I manually does them for files that I managed on my servers.

I guess that's why my HDDs doesn't fail through the years because of non-constant writing, I may be wrong though.

I just fear SSD desu.

>> too stupid to use linux

>> shitposts about how bad linux is.

Yeah, just wait. Windows rot is worse than ever with 10. At least on Linux if something gets fucked, you can fix it. Windows just gives you the finger until you reinstall. And since there's no package manager, have fun spending all day reinstalling software. Fuck that shit.

>Linux often doesn't even have the courtesy of providing error messages to give you a hint as to what is going wrong
That's the most bullshit stuff i have read of this thread

FPBP

At least you can change behavior you don't like.

Windows won't let you. Over the years its become more and more locked down.

Once you grow up, you'll value freedom over convenience.

>vanilla copy of Windows 10
>tries to download big update, fails, spouts an error message and tries to redownload in a loop
>no info on the error message other than "have you tried restarting it :^)"

At least on linux I can make stuff behave the way I want. Only if the 2670qm supported vt-d.

>Change it

>Can't be changed

>640K should be enough for anybody