Stallman is coming to talk at my school next month what should i expect /g

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3L5UG20URsY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Eating toenails
Smells bad
>may I interject
Muh foss

Your telling me your going to hear this guy talk at your school if I were you I wouldn't go.

AS what is the real diference between open and free software besided political bullshit, then proceed to ask why open source has taken off and it's a major player in today's computing while free software is dying.

Same stuff you read on gnu.org. Consistent arguments with reasonable conclusions. Clear separation of different issues.

Expect to hear the phrase "instrument of unjust power" and be convinced.

I got to see him last year, it was great.

a hippie with programming skills

Take some practice in breath holding. It will stink

Actual answer: they're basically two names for the same thing. The OSI and FSF have slightly different definitions and slightly different license lists, but almost every free program is open source and almost every open source program is free. So if you're using (or writing) open source software it's probably free software too, and vice versa.

The distinction is in what people who use the terms think is important. And lots of people don't think this distinction is important and say FLOSS or something.

Just get a fucking gasmask. If he asks why, just reply "BLOWOUT SOON STALKER".

When he takes questions, expect him to get mad everytime some leaves the "GNU" out of "GNU/Linux".

The GPL is not a free licence because it takes away freedom. The MIT licence, however, is free.
Free > copyleft > copyright.
Copyleft isn't free.

No matter what you ask him, refer to GNU/Linux as Xorg/Linux

Expect nirvana inducing enlightenment.

Hold up a sign that reads

"GNU + Linux"

well at least we have the lgpl so we can at least use gpl libraries for the tiniest fractions of our code without having to make our entire own work gpl too

But the GPL forces other people to liberate their software. How can you get any more free?

>implying
This smelly-ass fagman hasn't programmed anything in 30 years. He can't even install Linux, and takes pride in that fact.

All he can do nowadays is read e-mails and steer normies away from free software by being such a fucking creep of a frontman.

OP, skip the lecture, spend an entire afternoon masturbating and it'll time better spent than listening to stalled-man.

>why doesn't being forced to be free make you feel free?
I have no intention of making my entire own work gpl just cause somewhere deep down there's like 1 call to a gpl library

Did you just describe what the GPL does to users? Neato.
The LGPL is definitely less bad, by not being so viral. It's the GPL itself which is ridiculously viral.
No, it forces people into legalese. How can they be free if legalese binds them?

Nobody forces people to gpl their project.
They do it because they want collaboration, rather than assrape.
If you don't like the gpl software, don't use it. but bear in mind avoiding gpl licensed software will make using a bsd system even more fricking useless than it already is.

Buy his book, ask for signature.
Entertaining read, explains why his extreme stance is necessary.

>No, it forces people into legalese
This is my #1 complaint with 99% of the world. Everything is a bunch of legalese bullshit. I cannot even begin to list why I think the average law system around the world is mankind's biggest failure. Legalese and bureaucracy too.

On the subject of licenses: if someone can find me a license that allows people to look into my code, learn from it, copy little parts of it, distribute it under the condition they make it clear whose work it is and where it came from, and that forbids people from just copying my work, changing the name and then publishing it as their own work with little to no modification, you can have my girlfriend's ass and mine too.

ask him if hes autistic and if autism helped him in his career

>On the subject of licenses: if someone can find me a license that allows people to look into my code, learn from it, copy little parts of it, distribute it under the condition they make it clear whose work it is and where it came from, and that forbids people from just copying my work, changing the name and then publishing it as their own work with little to no modification, you can have my girlfriend's ass and mine too.
What about making the copied work proprietary?

>If you don't like the gpl software, don't use it.
I wouldn't use the gpl software (assuming I even gave a fuck and checked the license in the first place) because I don't like the software, but because I don't like the contagious license. Not being able to use a library because its license isnt compatible with what you want to do is like not being allowed a job because the janitor doesn't like you. It's such a stupid thing to trip over, legalese is one of those things that shouldn't be a factor in anything where you only care about the technical/practical things.

Why is software development filled with genetic waste?

Legalese is an unescapable plague that will always be with us.

No, that forbids people from doing anything with it without my permission. I want people to be able to look into my code, learn little things from it (like how did I make a webpage element of which the position is synchronized to another element without affection the body structure), copy little parts of it like the way I set up my db access or something. I just don't want them to be able to just blatantly copy my whole product and get rich off my work just cause they're that kind of parasites that studied marketing and knows how to tempt people better. I'm a fan of free software but not to the extent you can just copy-paste someone else's entire work and pretend you made it like some college student with his papers.

*affecting

Not really. If you abolish law, you abolish legalese.

>copy little parts of it like the way I set up my db access or something. I just don't want them to be able to just blatantly copy my whole product and get rich off my work just cause they're that kind of parasites

Why if they just use your software, say on a server, and get rich off of it that way?

Think of some good questions to ask about copyright or privacy

Yeah, copyleft is a strong preservation of copyright: asking him about public domain would be nice.

That comes at the cost of abolishing law. There has to be some jurisdiction on these issues.

Abolishing law isn't a cost, but a reward.

>Why
What*

You should expect commie bullshit about proprietary software being unethical.

Ask him what it's like to be the leader of the open source movement. He likes that.
Also, get him to sign your iPad.

Proprietary software is difficult or impossible to use, so it doesn't matter if it's unethical if you can't even run it.

Fuck off corporate AI

just because youre legally considered a person, doesn't mean you can shitpost here with us real humans

fpbp

There is a captcha user

75% people saying Linux and him telling them to say GNU + Linux

Everything you said is untrue.

I'm a freelance programmer and my only protection against powerful corporations stealing my shit is copyrights. I am not powerful, I am just one professional who writes automation software by himself for a bunch of businesses.

Please tell me about all the proprietary software you can run on your MIPS computer running NetBSD.

funny post

>Stallman is coming to talk at my school next month what should i expect /g

Him to eat something he finds between his toes.

Irrelevant fringe situation that proves my point simply from the fact that you are forced to come up with such an extreme example to back your outlandish claims.

The search for intelligent life on this board continues...

You should expect him to be able to cross a street unassisted.

>fringe situation
Ahh, spotted the guy who thinks all PCs are IBM PCs, and all OSes are Windows.

You literally had to come up with a custom hobbyist operating system that nobody uses (and therefore nobody makes software for) to justify saying that proprietary software is unusable, but if anything that only proves your little toy OS is unusable because there is no software for it.

And yes, all PCs are IBM PCs. Nobody uses an SGI workstation as a personal computer, unless you're a geek, in which case you can write your own goddamn software for it.

>implying

>And yes, all PCs are IBM PCs
I'm getting too old for this shit.

"Please just leave me alone when I cross streets."
Richard M. Stallman

>custom
>hobbyist
>nobody uses
>no software for it
>And yes, all PCs are IBM PCs.
Confirmed for retarded. Try /biz/ or Sup Forums instead.

Which one, OP?

>libre hardware designs
Stallman is a hypocrite who has never truly cared for free hardware.

Eh? He bumped the gpl to 3 to stop tivoizacion, init.

Tivoisation has nothing to do with open-source hardware. Open source hardware means having every single component of a computer have all the info disclosed so any factory could make it the same.

ask him if he ever thought about being taken more seriously if he werent such an extremist about everything.

Please ask him to speak spanish

fuck le police xddd

>post without content
nice

Complain as much as you want, it's true.

You're so butthurt the only answer you could come up with was a combination of meme arrows, namecalling and "pls go away". Pathetic.

>meme arrows
Yikes, you should really learn about quotation and its use in discussion.

I'm mostly wondering where the fuck you get the assumption from to call every PC an IBM PC. It's plain wrong.

Not GP, but it's true.

The "PC" we use today (i.e. x86 based) comes from the product called the "IBM PC". We then had "IBM PC Compatibles" or "IBM Compatibles".

Eventually, the IBM part got dropped. But "PC" clearly refers to machines from that lineage, which is why we have "Mac vs PC".

t. antifa cuck

Macs are PCs, idiot.

Ask him to sign your ThinkPad

kek

A Windows Computer is a WC, btw.

This is just semantics bullshit.
Yes, IBM spearheaded the concept of the PC. But by your logic we should call any Apple produced PC an IBM PC. Do you understand how retarded it sounds? By the same logic we should call android smartphones "iPhones".

Also on "IBM Compatibles", this had nothing to do with the PC part. They were called like that because they were compatible with IBM systems on the hardware level. It was more about software/hardware support than trying to mimic the idea of a PC.

You should expect to have all woman in the city getting naked and asking for his source.

Tell him lame GNU jokes.

Ask him what kinds of tea he likes.
I want to know what's in that cup.
youtube.com/watch?v=3L5UG20URsY

I am not arguing what we should or should not call them. You're debating a strawman.

No, they aren't. There is quite clearly a difference in vernacular between "PC" and "Mac".

>Yes, IBM spearheaded the concept of the PC. But by your logic we should call any Apple produced PC an IBM PC.

You don't understand the history of the PC.

>Also on "IBM Compatibles", this had nothing to do with the PC part. They were called like that because they were compatible with IBM systems on the hardware level. It was more about software/hardware support than trying to mimic the idea of a PC.

And the PC you're using right now is descended from that system.

Hey retarded autistic fuck, PC = Personal Computers.

Macs are macOS who are PCs as well, the rest of the world are all PCs with different OSs, like your Windows installed in normally every machines you'll encounter.

Anyways, my MBP has Windows/Kali/Arch installed on it. That is a Personal Computer.

Asshat.

>Hey retarded autistic fuck

Learn to communicate like a big boy.

>PC = Personal Computers.

Yes. Which is what the PC in IBM PC stood for. And that's the lineage from which your box comes. If it's x86-based and has a BIOS, it's an IBM PC compatible computer.

Yup. And SPARC PCs don't come from IBM PCs.

What's a SPARC PC?

A PC using a SPARC processor.

Link to a SPARC PC.

I know what a SPARKStation is. It's a workstation. Not a PC.

>being retarded and differentiating between personal computers and workstations
What do you call a ``workstation'' at someone's house? A PC.

You know why I insult people? Because it's the only way to get some thoughts in their autistic head. You're one, I'm sorry. You're talking about the IBM computers, which was indeed, Personal Computers. But where do you see IBM Computers nowadays towards consumers grade nowadays? They're practically non-existent.

I'm not saying you're wrong about saying IBM stuff, you're just wrong calling it that way for every PC.

ask him for some good toe jam recipes.

Ask him what he's hiding

That's not how terms are defined. A workstation is a workstation, and it is not a PC.

If you have a mainframe in your house, is it a PC? No.

No, you insult people because you're frustrated. You're frustrated because you think the world follows your little internal model. But it doesn't. It's quite clear to anyone that "PC" means, generally, "Wintel" as opposed to Mac.

>You're talking about the IBM computers, which was indeed, Personal Computers. But where do you see IBM Computers nowadays towards consumers grade nowadays? They're practically non-existent.

Irrelevant. We're talking about the lineage and origin of the term PC, as used in desktop computing.

Remember, this all started when you got pissed off at some user for bringing up "IBM PC".

No, a PC means a personal computer, as in, a computer a person uses for himself.

You're right, I'm frustrated. There's no need to hide that fact. Where do you see the lineage? I've skip over a few posts but if you were referring about the past and where does PC came from, I am sorry then.

Plus, I only replied twice and it was to you.
I guess I targeted the wrong person. You doesn't look like that much autistic, I look like one at this very moment.

Thanks for replying for the misunderstanding.

Though, as for the "workstation" label it's a vague level. But yeah it doesn't equal as a PC.

whats a "/g"?

He may be a major meme, but honestly i'd love to see him speak, he probably has some good ideas.

I saw the guy on Tuesday in Detroit, at Wayne State. It was pretty much the same shit as what you could read on gnu.org. The St. I-GNU-cius bit was fucking gold though.
>Using VI is not a sin in the church of Emacs, it-s penance

Bring cash. He might be selling shit there.

>nerds get angry/feel superior for some reason
>nerds start throwing things at stall and making bad jokes
>stallman decides to get on their level and stops talking about gnu
>stallman begins his dance moves routine
>nerds go WILD and start clapping and screaming "wooooh! yeahhhh!"
>the shitshow goes on for about 20 minutes
>show ends and nerds slowly go toward stallman to shake his hand and get his signature on their thinkpads

Saw him talk last month actually he is a good public speaker.

If you ask any questions don't even bother saying open source or he'll cut you off and tell you (again) how free software is different - even if you were not confusing the two.

Make sure you bid on the "adorable gnu".

Bring some cash if you want some happy hacking / signed stallman apparel.

say the 'I'd just like to interject for a moment' pasta if he says linux and not GNU/linux