Need a new laptop. But I'm working on a tight budget. Found something that looks "decent...

Need a new laptop. But I'm working on a tight budget. Found something that looks "decent." Getting it for basic needs and some video editing.

Lenovo - 110-17IKB 17.3" Laptop
> 1T Hard Drive
> 8GB RAM
> 2.5 GHz
> 17.3 inch Screen Size
> Intel 7th Generation Core i5 Processor
> $449 Price Tag
> 3hr Battery Life

Cons
> Can't be upgraded/parts aren't removable

Is it worth the money?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440s-Laptop-intel-Core-i7-2-10GHZ-12GB-180GB-SSD-Windows-8-IPS-/272540894542?hash=item3f74b4054e:g:NyQAAOSwTglYkJDw&_trkparms=pageci%3A6ae47353-ea62-11e6-8a8c-74dbd180513d%7Cparentrq%3A062719d815a0a786c3542a02ffa3ccf6%7Ciid%3A1
m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440s-12GB-RAM-240GB-SSD-Intel-Core-i7-4600U-Windows-10-Pro-/222394266269?hash=item33c7bb329d:g:MrkAAOSw9GhYkB5~&_trkparms=pageci%3A5b23bf91-ea63-11e6-ae91-74dbd180a605%7Cparentrq%3A062d405515a0a2af085d525dffbd8aeb%7Ciid%3A3
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/5qmlxa/picked_up_two_working_x230s_for_99/
ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBook-8570w-Core-i7-3820QM-2-7GHz-16GB-No-HDD-K2000m-1080p-Gaming-Laptop-/272543552586?hash=item3f74dc944a:g:pg0AAOSwuYVWmVSu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't buy non-Thinkpad lenovo. I'm serious. They are shit.
Don't buy Dell, HP, and Samsung too. Low quality stuff.
Other brands are OK.

Won't it be cheaper to build your own PC?
If it's for school work, just use school's computer.

What's the resolution? I'm unable to select the text to paste it in the browser to check myself hehe.

Anyway, if it is 1366x768 you'll hate it and it's not worth the money. 1080p is oak.
Then, if you're going to do 4k editing, the RAM is something you'll need more of. But that's up to you. It'll work, it'll just not be fun to edit on 8GB.

So yeah. If it's 1080p or above, then I'd say it's worth the money.

Not in school at the moment. Waiting on responses for my applications.But I need a new computer pretty much now.

That probably has a horrid low resolution screen, and because it only has a 3 hour battery life and can't fit in a standard backpack, you won't be taking it many places.

I personally think 15" laptops are too big already.

You can literally get a W520 for that

Screen Resolution is 1600 x 900 (HD+)

Yeah that's fucking shit on 17"

Well at least it's better than 13366x768. I think it'll be good enough. My PS3 is connected to a 1600x900 monitor and the XMB looks fine on it. Games get scaled up so can't compare.

I think the laptop is worth it.

Can you elaborate?

I'm not that guy but I know what he's talking about. The resolution gets stretched as the screen size increases. Your HD+ will look really sharp on a 11 inch screen but will look like "fucking shit" on a 17 inch one because of the stretching. The pixels will be very far apart and you'll be able to see it.

And he may be right. I don't know. I play my PS3 from quite a distance.

Can I get an example of the stretching and distorted pixels?

why is dell bad? i heard they're doing quite well recently (at least for their high end stuff)

dont listen to a retard
now you wonder, how would you spot a retard?

well he will tell you that all dell or hp are bad
no matter that theres world of difference between HP 250 and HP EliteBook Folio
or between dell inspiron and dell latitude or precision

The cons I see are that it's quite large (17.3"), and the shit battery life...display is 1600x900, and that's alright, considering most laptops in that price bracket, but surprised to see anything less than 1080p on a 17" display.

Buy it for the sake of power for your money, but don't except it to last more than 2 or 3yrs, the trackpad to be much good, and the same goes for the keyboard.

For durability's sake, I'd look into a used W series Thinkpad. Those are workstation business class laptops with quality that far exceed the quality of a

this! HP Elitebooks are quality laptops, while the Envy is nothing more than a Chinese knock-off of a MacBook.

What's the CPU? Don't forget Intel is calling their ultra-ultra-low power CPUs "core i5's and i7's" this generation
You don't want a 5w chip you want a 15w chip

>3.5GHz i7
>SM951 NVME drive
>16GB RAM
>9Hr usable battery life
>Size of Macbook air
>Does the flippy thing
fite me fgt

>17.3" laptop

Specs have nothing to do with quality.

> Intel Core i5 (7th Gen) 7200U / 2.5 GHz

Ultra-low-voltage platform. Dual-core, four-way processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it.

Well I need dynamic extra power at 3.5Ghz and it delivers
>Good macbook knockoff aluminum unibody
>TWO fans in a laptop this small
>Manages heat fine
>upgradable SSD and wireless

That's not bad, at least it's Kaby lake and 10w cooler than skylake
Is that it's boost or base?

The ultra ultra low power ones have weird names with Y's in them, that's a normal laptop CPU

Get a refurbished e560 for that price. I get 10 hours battery with gnu/linux

>new laptop
>tight budget
Spotted the retard.

Look into a used thinkpad, the W series has a 15" screen if you need it, otherwise go for a t420 or x220.
You won't be losing much power buying an older generation laptop, and you can just upgrade it with the 200 or more you saved buying it.
Whatever you do, don't buy this, it's consumer grade garbage and will probably be shit and die within to years.

>hp
>manages heat fine
Fucking shill, not even their Elitebooks can manage heat properly.

That's why is mo bettah
CPU never goes over 90°

A good laptop rarely exceeds 75ºC. Dell and Thinkpads do this easily.

Do they do 3.5GHz 4 thread CPUs at 15 watts?
Do they do in that small of a size

the Dell Latitude 13 3700 is sexual, but wtf is with that processor and price?

My dell sure as hell didn't

Sandy Bridge Thinkpads are now in the $150 range. Put your savings into a decent screen and a bigger battery and you're set until someone really fucks something up.

If it goes above 75, its garbage

Dell Latitude 13 7000*

Well it only happens when I play fallout 4 at a silky smooth 30fps locked

m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440s-Laptop-intel-Core-i7-2-10GHZ-12GB-180GB-SSD-Windows-8-IPS-/272540894542?hash=item3f74b4054e:g:NyQAAOSwTglYkJDw&_trkparms=pageci%3A6ae47353-ea62-11e6-8a8c-74dbd180513d%7Cparentrq%3A062719d815a0a786c3542a02ffa3ccf6%7Ciid%3A1
Hm?

Build quality is really low. Just don't buy HP, Dell, or Samsung. Short lifespan with tons of problems.

I work in a PC shop
eastern europe, lots and lots of poor people
i hear the constant
>I just need it for

thats the phrase that I seriously hate
yeah? you are not a fucking planning on 4k gaming or doing batchjobs on photoshop while cutting video or some shit?
and now you think I will pull some magicly great notebook for 260€?

anyway, what I currently recommend to poorfags are some HPs with AMD carrizo, that got FHD and SSD and come around 400€ with taxes
at this price levels you need to forget about build quality, its specs that come first
screen and ssd
ssd and screen
rest can take a hike as long as its not celeron or lower...

but shit does not end there, it gets worse when suddenly theres a bit more budget but still not enough
the price can go fucking high for FHD models of generally good notebooks
so its like fucking 700€ - 800€ for going for thinkpad 13/E460/560
or bit less for HP probooks/ aspire S13 / asus UX...
yet HD versions hover so close.. but in the end its fucking worse than cheaper notebook :/

but its incredible how BAD the HD screens are so often
some customer picked relatively new fujitsu and it made me embarrassed seeing that dim, shitty max brightness and absolutely puking atrocious contrast levels
similar were asus
most people luckily dont see how shitty it is, they see SSD speeed and are happy

recently I discovered cheap acer extenza with very decent HD display and feel in hand when in use

the best screens hands down that I encountered were on Dell Lalitude E5550 and E5570 that went to a larget company
jesus seeing it next to shitty HD panel other give..
also Acer Nitro, 17" gaming notebook had very nice screen too

>iphone poster

shh, retard go to sleep
sysadmins in huge companies buy nothing else but
Dell, Lenovo and HP

I wanna Samsung laptop

Well?
m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440s-12GB-RAM-240GB-SSD-Intel-Core-i7-4600U-Windows-10-Pro-/222394266269?hash=item33c7bb329d:g:MrkAAOSw9GhYkB5~&_trkparms=pageci%3A5b23bf91-ea63-11e6-ae91-74dbd180a605%7Cparentrq%3A062d405515a0a2af085d525dffbd8aeb%7Ciid%3A3

I wouldn't trust it unless I would see it's not bios password locked.

>Don't buy Dell
>Don't buy HP
>Low quality

Kys

since resolution is not mentioned, bet its the lowest one sold
anyway, its not an ebay price I think
for that you can probably buy with warranty from some refurbishing shop
but maybe its just my warped perception when I only see posts when someone gets some good deal
like two x230 for $100
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/5qmlxa/picked_up_two_working_x230s_for_99/

>need a new computer right now

my fucking ass you do.

laptops a shit. save up your good boy points and make damn sure you get a quad core i5 or i7 laptop instead of the i5's and i7's that are only dual core, often their models end with a "U", whereas often the 4 core variants have a "Q" in the name.

make damn sure you can upgrade the ram and it's not some bullshit 2x4GB setup that maxes at 8.

1080p is the minimum you should get if you're gonna be doing real work, 1600x900 is a cheap out for gaming.

I agree with user. Just save up. If you really need a laptop buy a used one off of eBay.

Professional Dell laptops / XPS are very good.

What's with the hate on 17" laptops? Wouldn't they be better suited for 900 or 1080p than say, a 14 or 15" one?

>Get Q instead of U
>4 threads vs 4 threads except for the $400 Q and the $600 Q
>45 watts vs 15 watts

because you should have desktop for that stuff
with ~25" monitor

notebooks are for portability when you need it
not for being your main PC

I hate more the 15" that want to have it all
17" at least feel competent

Not when you're that close to the screen

Even browsing the web on 768p is hard for me. And my 20" 900p desktop monitor has amazing picture quality. Wouldn't it be hard to read on anything smaller?

>falling for the 1tb hdd booby trap
>buying consumer lelnovo

It's not that things are bigger or smaller, it's that they're more detailed
It's much easier to see much smaller text on a high res screen because it's so much more clearly rendered, scaling solves desktop real estate size issues but the detail is easily seen, especially in small text

Have you used a smartphone?

Yeah. They're high resolution but the text is larger to compensate. Default text size on 14" 1080p would be too hard to read. And I hate W7's larger text font.

So make it bigger?
Windows 10 has text that scales up with detail and clarity

>Windows 10

>3hr Battery Life
>not a con

>Windows 7 isnt even ready for over 1080p

Current Computer
> 1.30 Ghz
> 4 RAM
> AMD Processor
> Regularly overheats and smells/sounds like it will explode
> Been using it for 4 years

i will just get another if my x220 memepad breaks

best advice so far

Do not buy anything Lenovo

i think he means pro-tier dells and lenovos

interesting post user

real cores > hyper threads

how fucking new are you?

>giving a shit about laptop power draw

thre's bios and windows settings for that, all modern cpu's sip power if you set them up right. not all modern cpu's can draw enough power to actually be, well, powerful.

get a load of this guy, telling people what they should and shouldn't do with their computers, even down to what size monitor you should have.

fucking newfags i swear, is school not back in session yet?

Triple the tdp means triple the max heat

My 7500U goes straight up to 3.5GHz if needed on all threads, at 15W, and almost half a volt
That's perfect for fitting more into new laptops with lower temps

heatfags pls, if you want performance you're gonna make heat. laws of thermodynamics and such.

Actually the laws of thermodynamics state that a CPU should output zero heat but silicon inefficiencies and all that
Luckily Kaby lake stepped it up with the 15w division

An associate of mine suggested nothing less than 2.4 GHz in a processor and 8GB in RAM for gaming and video editing. They also said AMD graphics cards are garbage. Any disagreements?

New amd graphics card are acceptable

your're associate is a know it all that can't into specifics.

anyway here's a fine example of a used laptop that will fit the needs of any 'work' that any 'student' ITT would need.

ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBook-8570w-Core-i7-3820QM-2-7GHz-16GB-No-HDD-K2000m-1080p-Gaming-Laptop-/272543552586?hash=item3f74dc944a:g:pg0AAOSwuYVWmVSu

>windows

> Acer
> HP
> Asus
> Dell

Which is the most reliable?