Why cant we use a gpu as cpu? arent gpus way more powerfull?

Why cant we use a gpu as cpu? arent gpus way more powerfull?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General-purpose_computing_on_graphics_processing_units
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if only we had a thread dedicated to stupid questions...

dude a gpu focuses on graphics only.

Basically there is certain math GPUs simply cannot do. This is why GPU video encoding produces dogshit quality or outrageous file sizes.

Also certain tasks are impossible to parallelize across thousands of cores.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General-purpose_computing_on_graphics_processing_units

>why can't we use a bus to run F1 races?
>why can't I look up stuff?
>why isn't there a thread for stupid retards like me?
>why can't I read the rules?
>why is my thread being reported and saged?

>>why can't we use a bus to run F1 races?
Well there are bus races in Murrica.

The other way works better I think.
>Why can't we use F1 racecars to transport people like a bus?

Why can't I use racing slick tires on my street car? Don't racing slick tires have way more grip?

>AMD an Intel hate him
>Weird "gpu-as-cpu" trick makes pc more powerfull

GEERTJE

>Why cant we use trucks on F1 races? arent trucks way more powerfull?

GPUs have a lot of compute cores, but are fucking terrible at branching.
They are only good for massively parallel shit, which isn't what people are doing most of the time.

>Car analogies

Why don't we just hire all females? Don't they do the same amount of work for less money?

Look up GPGPU processing. GPUs can accelerate certain computing processes like video encoding.

Imagine a AMD CPU, now imagine it with 100x more cores

see

No. GPUs are hundreds of tiny cores because that's how graphics work on the low level. It's also why NVIDIA and AMD shill for more money without changing much at their technology other than making bigger chips and charging more.

The CPU is serious business. Adding more cores adds absolutely nothing to normie people's experience with very rare exceptions.

It's also why most people don't get that NVIDIA and AMD are a Cartel. Each time NVIDIA sells slightly bigger, AMD returns small.

"way more powerful" is misleading, they do different things.

GPUs are great at performing bulk floating point operations, so they have tons and tons of these these little floating point hardware units. A fucked up way to think of this is as a really limited cpu with thousands and thousands of tiny, single-use cores.

CPUs on the other hand are so much more complex, deal with concurrency, communicate with the rest of your system, have to find ways to get bulk single-threaded performance without just adding more and more cores. They are built to handle different operations and respond to a completely different hardware language

Geert will rule the world

him and trump have the same hair stylist so it's possible.