Should I move to linux from windows/?

Should I move to linux from windows/?

Pros and cons all around?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamdb.info/linux/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you should install macOS

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Linux and FreeBSD is pretty stable in comparison to the current state of windows, not not even kidding this time.

Get the MATE desktop and an LTS release of Linux and you are set for the next 3-4 years of solid performance

GNU/Linux*

Sorry stallman

np

Lel

Cool story bro.

this is me talking as a programmer.
linux and basically any unix is really the best supported platform for most programming languages except for languages specific to ms/apple platforms like C#/VB.NET and swift; programming in ruby for example is a real kludge under windows. unix shells are vastly nicer to use than even powershell.
font rendering is smoother and look remarkably accurate, and zero effort after freetype 2.7. different window managers and desktop environments enable different workflows, like gnome 3 (which i particularly like) and tiling wms.
freedom is something you either care about or you don't but it's still important to linux as a whole.
driver support is truly plug and play. apart from printers whatever you plug in works within seconds while the kernel loads the driver module and initialises the device. a breath of fresh air compared to windows' driver model.
linux tends to use less memory than windows overall, and can achieve better boot times.
cons: graphics performance is lower thanks to uncooperative gpu vendors, obviously less proprietary software support, higher power consumption thanks to more uncooperation from hardware vendors, and certain nicks like licensing troubles and user experience niggles.

What are you looking to do? Certain things, you just have to use Windows for since Linux doesn't support it (i.e., music production, gaymen). Plus, Windows is better out of the box a lot of the time. But I find Linux to be better if you don't need any specific programs. I haven't had too many issues with Linux that I haven't been able to solve rather quickly, and using Linux does provide real benefits (bash scripts, more secure because no one write malware for Linux, doesn't run like ass after four months). I would say pick up something simple (Ubuntu or Manjaro) and dual-boot with your favorite Windows OS.

install gentoo

Try it , you'll like it.

I've switched to GNU+Linux a year ago and now I'm asking myself what the hell I was waiting for.

Thank you Microsoft for releasing Windows 10.

Pros: You can do whatever you want on it
Cons: You actually can't, you can only rice it

>Using Linux in front of class mates
>Teacher says "Okay students, now open Photoshop"
>Start furiously typing away at terminal to install WINE
>Errors out the ass
>Everyone else has already started their classwork
>I start to sweat
>Install GIMP
>"Umm... what the fuck is THAT user?" a girl next to me asks
>I tell her it's GIMP and it can do everything that Photoshop does and IT'S FREE!
>"Okay class, now draw use the shape tool to draw a circle!" the teacher says
>I fucking break down and cry and run out of the class
>I get beat up in the parking lot after school

Why not just draw some peppers?

>teacher making you use proprietary software

pros:
better software for everything, like
btrfs filesystem that literally makes all "fancy" windows features like backup images, shadowing, incremental backups, snapshots, etc the plainest thing ever since it's all built right-in and exposed to the user as it fucking should be (ntfs is a huge disappointment and a shitty filesystem)
many terminals and desktops to choose from
cool stuff like everything being filesystem-based and being able to mount filesystems from all kinds of devices into a tree system (so you can e.g. transparently turn a dir that constantly gets filled with junk files into a temp fs that gets cleared on shutdown)
easy setup and copying (ever tried copying windows to a new pc? have fun getting through all the bullshit problems it has with that) - you can literally download linux as a zip, unpack it to a fat32 usb stick, and boot it.

cons:
nothing. ever. works.
ever.

linux: good
windows: bad
Just about covers it.

YOU OPEN THE CONSOLE AND TYPE

YUM SEARCH
TO CHOOSE WHICH SOFTWARE YOU WANT TO INSTALL

YUM INSTALL
TO INSTALL THE CHOSEN SOFTWARE, THAT IS RIGHT, YOU DON'T NEED TO GO TO WEBSITES TO FIND SOFTWARE

YUM UPDATE
TO UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM

IF YOU WANT HELP, YOU TYPE

MAN
BUT YOU RARELY NEEDS THIS SINCE STACKOVERFLOW WILL GET YOU COVERED IN SPECIFICS, WITHOUT BULLSHIT TECHNICAL TERMS

IF YOU WANT TO CONNECT TO NETWORK YOU TYPE

NMTUI
AND YOU GET A FANCY TERMINAL INTERFACE WITH MENUS WHERE YOU USE THE ARROWS IN YOUR KEYBOARD TO NAVIGATE THROUGH THEM, DON'T FORGET TO HIT ENTER IN SOME OF THEM

IF YOU GET REKT FOR UNKNOWN REASONS, DELETE ALL YOUR DOT FILES IN YOUR HOME FOLDER AND HOPEFULLY THINGS SHOULD BE FIXED

IF YOU GET ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR DISPLAY, IT IS MOST LIKELY BECAUSE XORG IS MISCONFIGURED, AND FIXING THAT WILL BE ONE HELL OF A RIDE SO MIGHT AS WELL REINSTALL THE SYSTEM OR CHOOSE ANOTHER DISTRO

THAT IS ALL

/EOM

I'm actually pondering the opposite, today after torrenting some shitty anime to my W10 enterprise machine and having my morning wank i turned off the laptop (not via the button mind you) in a hurry and went to work, and when i came back it told me my desktop was missing or corrupt or whatever so i had to make another user, backup my stuff and transfer to the other, and even then i somehow lost all my bookmarks.

This is the third time this happens, i don't even have anything but anime, a few pre 2013 games and basic stuff like foobar, mpv etc on it, and I'm tired of it.

What's a good linux distro for someone who has used winblows all his life?

You can play the latest call of duty with all your bros and chat using Skype. It works better on Windows because it's owned by Microsoft now. You can also have lots of other of the best programs there are.

if watching animu and shitposting all day is all you do, Elementary OS. be aware that you will have issues running those games, probably.

Depends, what do you do on your PC? What programs do you use? If you don't do much on your PC I'd recommend using Linux.

Pros:
>freedom
>privacy
>choice
>customizability
>performance
>package managers
>large software catalogs
>sane update policies
>sane shells
>better programming environments
>better UI / UX
>can still run most Windows software through WINE
>has 1000s of natively supported games, not just indie games (number increases every day: steamdb.info/linux/)
>Virtual machines with GPU passthrough with 99%+ performance for Windows or MacOS
>can still dual boot if desired
>you will learn more about your computer
>supportive/helpful FOSS community

Cons:
>you may need some time adjusting
>UX may vary between distros
>muh EA/Blizzard gaymes are cuckdows exclusive
>I'm a cuck and am only able to use Adobe software and don't want to use WINE or a VM

pros:
you'll find a use for your autism

cons:
everything else

also now that ryzen is confirmed compatible with win7 there is literally no reason to switch to linux

Soon there won't be a reason to use win, even Witcher 3 works in wine already.

If you wanna game, yes.

If you wanna do comp sci style stuff, no.

>he doesn't dualboot

what are you, a nigger?

Solus.
Unironically.

This is actually some quality layman wisdom.

Dude.
>Circle selection.
>Select
>Border
Done.

>Teacher says "Okay students, now open Photoshop"
Spotted the art major.

Must be hard being a dumbshit

This

You made that up

>Should I move to linux from windows/?
yes

You should specify your use case(s). There are a lot of just werkz distros out there and they are faster than windows. You also don't have to worry about rot as much and fixing problems aren't as tedious.

>not using VMs or Wine