SDR Thread

What are you scanning, Sup Forums?
SDR thread, go!

You're presumably looking at some sort of trunking system.

Other urls found in this thread:

hobbypcb.com/rs-hfiq
crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr
sdrplay.com/
itead.cc/airspy-mini.html
hamradioscience.com/rtl2832u-r820t-vs-rtl2832u-e4000/),
ebay.com/itm/Ameritron-AL-82-1500W-Dual-3-500Z-Linear-Amplifier-/111902423394?hash=item1a0de77962:g:qD4AAOSwzgRWvP~2
rtl-sdr.com/review-airspy-vs-sdrplay-rsp-vs-hackrf/
sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide
rtl-sdr.com/category/tutorial/
rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-for-budget-radio-astronomy/
rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-analyzing-gsm-with-airprobe-and-wireshark/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

omg u fukin nerds

Scanning? No here we just shitpost about videocards.

I bought one of those dongles a few weeks back, haven't used it much since. I'm interested mostly in airband. Though I have thought of playing around with that pifm thing to have a go at digital modulation. Unfortunately I'm lacking motivation on multiple fronts.

what is the best OS for SRD? I heard the software for Linux sucks

Haven't found the handheld radio traffic I was tracking 2 years ago... yet.

>software for Linux
I've recently been getting back into it,and I have to say that it feels like a totally different environment than in 2015. Many of the packages haven't seen extensive update, where they previously felt on the cutting edge outside of interface.
I would currently recommend Windows for completely new people. If you're a little more tech savvy, or want a networked setup, linux might be a bit easier. Currently I am running a laptop elsewhere with an rtl-sdr attached capturing air traffic in the area. I can tune from another computer in a noisier part of the house, with ssh, nc, rtl tcp, etc.

Another rtl-sdr in the basement is currently fucking with my keyboard. fuck.

Is it possible to do anything more than reading signal?

Are you able to decode signal?

Lets say, car wireless key and then send your self made signal? (I understand that sdr is only able to listen and you would need other advenced device to send signals)

What should I buy?
Is chinese rtl-sdr with RTL2832U R820T + external antena all I need?

What is difference between RTL2832U and RTL2832U R820T

?

I'm about to preorder hobbypcb.com/rs-hfiq

Will dis be gud?

crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr

Not op but i can confirmed you can do that. I have 433mhz remote i can read signal from.

Yes.

Wut SDR is gud?

sdrplay.com/

itead.cc/airspy-mini.html

The go-to software is GNU Radio, which runs on both.

For simple GUIs for common signals, SDR# and GQRX are mostly comparable. I think SDR# has a slight edge for supporting RDS and a few extra features.

Nothing.

Interesting. Limited to sound card bandwidth but for HF that's fine. You get to play with the newest Codec2 modes that require SDR.

Yes, I was in the kickstarter and am hopefully in the next batch to ship.

rtl-sdr is so cheap you're best off buying that first to see if you find it interesting

The R820T is effectively the replacement of the older E4000 chip. Some differences are chalked up here (hamradioscience.com/rtl2832u-r820t-vs-rtl2832u-e4000/), but I'd tldr it to "use 820T for general/basic work"

I also remember reading about an improved version of the 820T dongles with better crystals or something, but can't remember the details enough to look it up right now.

I bought a dongle a few years and played with the software but the built-in antenna is literally to shitty to listen to most FM radio stations even.

What is a good antenna to buy for relatively cheap? I don't mind paying 50 bucks or something if it would be a big improvement

any tips for hunting falling weather sondes?

Depends on what you want you want to do. Also you can make your own. You can make a good broadcast FM antenna with just a long piece of wire.

What kind of antenna do I plug into this ebay.com/itm/Ameritron-AL-82-1500W-Dual-3-500Z-Linear-Amplifier-/111902423394?hash=item1a0de77962:g:qD4AAOSwzgRWvP~2

Does anybody now any good wideband antennas under 100 bucks?

On my local ebay one with rtl2832u-r820t on dongle cost 2times more than one with only rtl2832u.

it looks like this

this one cost 2 times more, I wonder if the only difference is color and title

bump

I have this exact one. People say there is no difference in all these different models. The blue one should have a T2 chip, but as I said, people who use these dongles on daily basis for several applications say that there is no noticeable difference.

thx senpai
I found also another one auction with modified blue version, but it cost 2 times more than blue.

I would buy one, but its pretty pricey where I live and I am afraid that it will collect dust after 2 weeks.

You can download sattelite images, listen to radio etc.?

but are there other applications of sdr?

I use it to listen to various radio signals - courier services around Prague, the Prague metro (it works when riding inside the tunnels), listening to tetra and gathering tetrapol metadata. I want to try to sniff GSM and crack the A5/1 cypher. You can also gather image data or morse code (SSTV and CW respectively). I also want to look for fallen weather sondes sent to the stratosphere. There are tons of applications, especially if you get some filter addons or amps which let you listen to UHF or VLF. These usb dongles are certainly worth it, since they can do so much (only receiving).

I am monitoring this thread.

Just bare in mind that the receiving of some signals is considered misdemeanour and sharing them is a felony. If someone cathecs you, they can fuck you up. It never happened to me though.
Carrying a laptop around is not a bright idea, so you can connect the dongle to your android phone, if it can power the sdr. You can add an external power source and solder it to the power cables on the usb cable connecting it to your phone.

rtl-sdr.com/review-airspy-vs-sdrplay-rsp-vs-hackrf/

What are you talking about? Radio waves are literally in the air. They are beamed through your body even. It's only illegal to transmit without a license, not to receive.

I was thinking about getting into it, but what do you really do with it even. Just listen to AM/FM radio?

Me

How do I identify type of modulation? I found a datastream and I'd like to decode it.

in some countries its illegal to listen to police and other services frequency.

Trying to sniff cellular traffiic or seting fake BTS is illegal as well.

Do your research mate. Capture and demodulation of certain signals is not entirely legal.

sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide

read

rtl-sdr.com/category/tutorial/

hnnnnnnnng
rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-for-budget-radio-astronomy/

rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-analyzing-gsm-with-airprobe-and-wireshark/

when the fuck will there finally be some more videos about limesdr? shouldn't enough units be already shipped out?

What are some of the best anntenas for using with an SDR? I have the ANT500 and ANT700 for the HackRF. What other Antennas can I use for longer range / sensitivity?

build yourself one. It's not that hard

Cell phone bands are typically off limits.

It does not matter what you think about signals going through your body all the time, basically politicians do not want to risk people like you listening in on their schemes. That is what counts.

GNU Radio is the best software for that, but it's not for babbys.

Airspy.

pretty much any rtl2832u DVBT stick

Is there a wifi dongle that can double for SDR?

Important question.

Anyone got a hackrf or a yardstick one kind want either but anyone recommend either of them?