Ultra HD Blu-ray requires Kaby Lake for playback on PC

extremetech.com/computing/243463-new-pioneer-ultra-blu-ray-burners-pack-4k-playback-16x-burn-speeds

... because it requires the processor support Software Guard Extensions (SGX) instructions.

SGX instructions allow execution of encrypted binaries. Users cannot decrypt binaries using SGX nor apply memory analysis on SGX programs in execution.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Guard_Extensions
tomshardware.com/news/netflix-kaby-lake-cpu-4k,33070.html
labdv.com/aacs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Then buy it wtf is that hard

what about zen?

"0.99 cents has been deposited into your account"

everyone wants everything automatically at no cost.

I remember buying an entire new machine in the 90s so I could burn CDs. People would riot at that today.

afaik they don't implement this "drm".

I don't really see the point. If you're a movie buff that wants the highest quality from UHD Blurays then you already own the oppo 4k bluray player. There is no reason to get this when there are highly quality players out there that will get this stuff done.

Blurays cannot be played with free software yet anyway so whats the point? Just don't buy shitty blu-rays in the first place

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

GET YOUR BACKDOORS OUT OF MY CHIPS YOU FUCKING KIKES. GET OUT GET OUT GETOUTGETOUTREEEEEEEEE

anyone with xeons or higher end chips are shit out of luck.

The bigger problem is that SGX even exists.

There is now literally no way to know what is being executed on your computer.

Blurays are not shitty. Get a high quality bluray player and projector/tv setup and you will see the difference. Most of Sup Forums is not the targeted audience of physical media because it requires a job to be able to afford a good AV setup.

>afaik they don't implement this "drm".

Pretty sure Xbox S with AMD cpu has this.

A physical disk is shitty compared to a torrent of the same quality

Sorry, I won't engage in a conversation with you for that blatant bait. Nice try.

how is it bait?

Just download a remux if you're THAT autistic.

It's literally better because you're not having to have a retarded bluray player, and buy physical discs.

this. i hate waiting for the fucking commercials to finish every time i put in a new disc when watching a tv series

>Users cannot decrypt binaries using SGX nor apply memory analysis on SGX programs in execution.
Its absolutely nothing

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Guard_Extensions
>Emulation of SGX was added to experimental version of QEMU system emulator in 2014.

Does it actually work though or is it a very unstable feature?

>implying QEMU can actually be used to get around SGX

Optical discs are garbage, though.
>hey let's make a home audio/video format that can't be set down on rough/dirty surfaces or grabbed anywhere except the 1.2mm wide edge
>what could possibly go wrong

I literally prefer to remux discs myself. If you don't, that's fine. I'm not telling you to change anything, quit telling me to.

I never understood why they didn't make them with a plastic cover around them like floppies and VHS tapes did
Or I wonder if they did that on purpose to make you buy more discs.....

Probably a combination of that and being cheaper to not have cartridges

He's right though. Fast downloads are more convenient than ordering a physical disc online or shopping around town to find it, not to mention that you can actually store them on your media/file server and make them available to every device you own.

>Nothing personal kid, but that's what they said about Denuvo

To be fair, Blu Ray has that anti scratch coating.

Denuvo didn't have access to special instructions baked right into the CPU to defeat binary analysis.

To be fair, VHS tapes and floppy disks didn't need anti-scratch coatings.

MPAA needs to be glassed.

I kind of wonder why floppies weren't hard instead and lack an outer case. They are fairly robust, being rubbed against a read head continuously, and there was no protection slider on older floppies.

Actually, I imagine dust could be even worse if you're constantly rubbing. A bit of sand would track around and destroy the entire thing.

They also said Trump had no chance of winning.

>SGX instructions allow execution of encrypted binaries.
>Users cannot decrypt binaries using SGX nor apply memory analysis on SGX programs in execution.
Don't they fucking realize how retarded this is? If malware starts using this kind of technology we will all be totally fucked.

Do you think the MPAA kikes care about whether the goyim get malware or not?

How can you possibly block someone from that? You can go a non software route and fucking monitor it with hardware. You'd have to be autistic to be able to solve anything but it's still possible.

Good luck trying to intercept memory reads with a logic analyzer connected to 1,151 pads on the bottom of a CPU.

How do we stop Israel?

I don't possess enough autism to be able to do that. I already dislike chasing bits on schematics for long periods of time.

>a bunch of poorfags have to update from their ancient DDR3 i5 shitboxes from 2009-2015
Oh no i am so sad

I was gonna upgrade anyway but not for Memeray Ultra HD crap

>encrypted binaries

This is the future the Jews and the normies created.

>buying something that gives the MPAA more power over your computer than you have
>on purpose

haha no

Most UHD's only have sub 60mbit/s bitrates, Netflix will kill it by the time AC1 rolls out. Also by this time I suspect more people in NA will have far better connections due to the DOCSIS 3.1 rollout.

I hope it will flop hard. They alienated even the Skylake users.

Netflix doesn't even show movies in proper aspect ratio half the time.

Nah I don't support the kikes. I have never even seen a BD in my life and the last time I saw a DVD was like 8 years ago, optical disks are obsolete.

>[current year]
>spinnan discs

Nostalgia thread?

ebin

The sector pattern on DVD RAM is so fucking dope. I still have a few of mine that I used as a work backup for my shit back in the 40 GB HD days.

Sauce for chart?

>SGX instructions
Hello goyim.... we found a new way to jew you and to make you upgrade to our super-expensive new chips again.... even though you don't utilize old ones even 10% of their power 99.999% of your computing time.

SGX license cost $40 for each CPU
wtf?

4k Netflix also requires Kaby Lake
tomshardware.com/news/netflix-kaby-lake-cpu-4k,33070.html

>only applies to plastic discs with DRM
>only applies to pay2stream with DRM

Phew, almost had me worried there for a minute.
You guys make sure to give Shlomo the money, though. Otherwise there won't be anything to rip from.

>SGX will make all media unrippable in future as any binary doing DRM decryption will be shipped with binary encryption and processor-level decryption key memory access block
>phew

We'll see. In the worst case it means the rips will be slightly lossy (display capture).

As long as the video can be played it can be ripped.
Rips will still happen, there will just be less people doing them because it won't be as accessible.

I'm good with 720p.

Someone will just emulate SGX.

It comes as no surprise that the linux does not yet find itself deployed on the blue ray HD DVD, for a number of reasons.

I think you will find after some investigation that the blue ray HD DVD is a patented invention that requires special decryption codes to be utilised.

Therefore it would not only be illegal for linux to use the blue ray (not that minor questions of legality have ever stopped the Linux in the past), but more so that linux does not yet contain the decrypter codes required for this operation.

And so for now, the linux finds itself constrained to the somewhat prehistoric CD-ROM format.

I don't get this Kaby Lake 4K meme, isn't it enough that I have a GTX 1080?

It's about DRM not the actual capabilities of hardware. GTX 1080 can play 8K without ramping up its fans

>mfw 7500

>Ultra HD Blu-ray
People still buy movies and such on disk?

A UHD rip can be over 100GB. I'll wait for the amazon shipping over downloading that shit while praying speeders can even reach 1/5th my internet speed.

>people think piracy is a game to the Russians and Chinese

Netflix is gonna lowball on the bitrate anyway. Even if people have better home connections it's fucking expensive to deliver that much traffic.

>make all media unrippable

>decrypt movie and send it to screen
>except screen is not a screen, it's a capture card
Shit that was hard.

and even with all this botnet it is still possible to get the unencrypted signal from the cable that goes to the lcd panel

Capture cards aren't of the same quality as rips because raw display data is way too big to save it so you have to compress it which means loss of quality.

>physical media in 2017

who cares

>Capture cards aren't of the same quality as rips because raw display data is way too big to save it so you have to compress it which means loss of quality.
Shouldn't the process of disk data -> display data be reversible though?

>Blurays cannot be played with free software yet
Sure they can.
labdv.com/aacs/

Lossy encoding -> Decoded with artifacts -> Captured with artifacts -> Encoded to lossy format...

It's the .mp3.mp3.wma.mp3 problem

>Shouldn't the process of disk data -> display data be reversible though?
That's why they invented HDMI tho.

encode lossless then

thats why you use the cable that goes to the panel and not hdmi or any other botnet cable

Yeah, that's not gonna work. Have fun trying, though.

Real-time lossless 4K encoding is going to cost you much IO. In the end file will be that big that you want to reencode it anyway.

>A UHD rip can be over 100GB.
It can be whatever, but realistically a "pretty much transparent" quality encode with h.265 or better should be around 30GB tops.

i hope that this is not one of those "128kbps mp3 is transparent" memes

Nice, Jerry Lee roleplaying

4k HDMI capture devices already exist

still cant believe that was something that existed

Zen doesn't have an IGP

No, it's more like a "128kbps AAC is transparent" meme.

there's nothing good to watch so who cares

dead on arrival

Blu-rays are now dying

laptops aren't being made no longer with disk drives

now all PC software is downloaded from the internet

the only devices still using disks are Consoles, but it's pointless because most games still need to download huge 10GB+ Patches on day one and you can buy most games online

5" floppies had the write-enable notch on the casing

reading the wikipedia article, it looks like it might be able to read it via cold-boot attack?

they'll find a way
they always do

oh wow, it's not like sgx is not bug laden and in a year there going to be like 50 erratas about how sgx can be used to make super malware or anything.

x86 needs to fucking die. these "negative rings" are literally cancer.

Didn't blu ray get cracked because someone posted the master key online?
Does the prosessor have the decoding key?
Is it the playback software?
Is the playback software itself encrypted?
Could someone draw me the "MPAA ENCRYPTION MAP" so i can understand.

The thought that future windows applications will be encrypted in such a way that we, the users cannot even know what the fuck its doing, is scary.

Who knows if future applications will just botnet the entire machine and send everything you do to NSA.

I would rather use ubongu than allow SGX based applications on my computer.

Not necessarily - if it allows you to run encrypted binaries that means something like Netflix could one day be one of those encrypted binaries

1080p blurays using AACS which had 4 or 5 of it's encrypted keys posted online over the years, essentially rendering it useless.

AACS 2.0 however is the new encryption method used for UHD blurays, AACS 2.0 requires a trusted execution environment to run the decryption in and to store the encrypted key.

This basically means it's a right fucking cunt to get around and is MUCH more invasive.

We could just wait for ching chong labeled uhd players to be released and start etching the roms.

>SGX instructions allow execution of encrypted binaries. Users cannot decrypt binaries using SGX nor apply memory analysis on SGX programs in execution.
>SGX instructions allow execution of encrypted binaries. Users cannot decrypt binaries using SGX nor apply memory analysis on SGX programs in execution.

Only 3 companies have been allowed to produce them for PC from what I have seen.

LG-Hitachi in a joint venture, and Pioneer.

Really hope there's a BIOS switch to disable SGX or shit's gonna get really ugly.

MPAA trying really hard to kill UHD blu-ray before it has a foothold, hardly anyone even has a 4k TV and players still cost hundreds.

as did the 3.5

yeah really lookin forward to UHD B-Rated movies from netflix's lineup my man