Do NOT use Thermal Paste

Thermal paste is a meme.
I never use thermal paste because it can actually damage the motherboard if it seeps over the cpu.
There is literally no point in using it if you have proper cooling in your case - other than taking a risk and letting it damage your motherboard.
Im pretty reputable as I own my own local computer shop and have been building machines for the community for years.

My question is, why the hell do people use it?

I'm guessing you learned how to apply paste from MSI.

Thermal paste works and is easy to use. Works for me.

>My question is, why the hell do people use it?

Because it works.

/thread

the thermal paste application technique of others is the most universally bitched about thing in all of computing

You could always lap your heatsink, and cpu if it has a heat spreader. but even if it does have one, there is some sort of thermal compound under that spreader.

Not gonna even give you a bump or a (you). Faggot.

have you ever SEEN it work?

>I never use thermal paste because it can actually damage the motherboard if it seeps over the cpu

only if you apply silver-based compound like a retard

Fuck you OP

This post gave me cancer

>Thermal paste is a meme.

Somehow i think that went over your head.

good to know
One less butthurt piece of shit to worry about

>Not using thermal paste
This is why you're a repair monkey and not an engineer.

Use thermal pads if you're too hamfisted to apply paste.

Yes. When I turn on my CPU, the paste all start to stand up and run around transferring heat from the CPU chip to the outside. Without paste, the CPU as to do the work of transferring the heat, which eats into CPU time.

i don't read other people's posts. i just look at the pictures and make my best guess as to what is going on in each thread.

Yes. I've seen drops of a couple degrees by changing different pastes. Alternatively I've tried not using any at all and seen temps several degrees higher. Sounds like you just suck at basic shit man. Nice trips doe.

Obvious troll is troll

There is thermal paste inside my 80s compaq

Only macfags don't use thermal paste

So which one of you is gonna invent a ThermalStrip3000?
Requires no messy paste!
You can cut to the shape you need and stick it to your cpu! Just like double-sided tape! Then attach your cpu cooler and VOILA!

Thermal paste transfers heat from the CPU to the heatsink since they wouldn't make full contact

Learn thermodynamics nigger

>Im pretty reputable as I own my own local computer shop and have been building machines for the community for years.
Please be fake

They've had shit like that for years. Hell most modern heatsinks already come with paste preapplied. I don't get how some niggers can be so bad at computers. They've spent the last 20 years idiot proofing them for you retards.

There's only one case where you won't see improvements from thermal paste - if you lapped your CPU and cooler. In every other case you're getting at least -5C basically for free.

what the hell would you know about computing, I built my own gaming Mac with the latest ATI Radeon graphics u little shit, runs like a dream

How are you going to remove air from underneath the strip, nigger?

sounds like a dream you still haven't woken up from yet

shows what you know

If you're going to troll and bait at least be a little less obvious about it, christ

>thermal pads
Gross.

The ThermalStrip3000 is made of a super thin yet super pliable compound that molds into the microscopic imperfections of both surfaces when normal force is applied during the installation of the cooler.

anything that isn't thermal paste is gay

It will trap air simply because of its shape, you dumb nigger.

hope you're proud of that post

I hope you're proud of sucking dick. Ya homo.

How has this bait got so many replies?

We're in love with our anger.

the final project for one of my engineering labs involved cooling a chip and deciding what kind of cooling would be most efficient / cost effective for our specific scenario.

1. We used thermistors which are basically calibrated electric thermometers in combination with a program that plots the measured temperatures.

2. We ran tests using:
>no heatsink / heatsink
>no fan / fan
>heatsink & fan
>thermal paste & heatsink
>thermal paste &heatsink, & fan

Now, our chip never got quite as hot as cpu would, but even with lower overall temperatures our results showed that a heatsink without thermal paste is essentially pointless.

The reason thermal paste is so important is that on an almost microscopic scale, the surface of the heatsink and the surface of the chip are quite rough, and although to your naked eye they look firmly pressed together, they are not making contact with each other as much as you would think, and heat is not being dissipated fast enough.

What would be a good solution to this problem? Perhaps some kind of filler for these tiny gaps that is composed of heat conducting material...

If you want to do a simpler test to see if thermal paste is important: try turning your computer on without it, I guarantee it will shutdown almost immediately.

>try turning your computer on without it, I guarantee it will shutdown almost immediately.

But OP is pretty reputable as he owns his own local computer shop and has been building machines for the community for years. Surely by now he wouldve had some issues by now.

I am of the persuasion that the original poster is in fact NOT the owner of a local computer shop and has NOT been building machines for the community for years.

I am of the persuasion that he is in fact a liar and I was pointing out that he is definitively wrong.

This thread's sole purpose was to get (you)s and the best way to stop shitty pointless bait threads is to just ruin the joke. Wouldn't it be nice if even 10% of threads on the boards you visit had content you cared about?

because people can't help but reply to someone who's wrong

Bait threads yield the most helpful answers to a question because fags want so bad to prove the bait wrong. Compared to a thread asking a genuine question and getting shit on for now knowing something.

Really makes you think.

>now
not*

>There's only one case where you won't see improvements from thermal paste - if you lapped your CPU and cooler. In every other case you're getting at least -5C basically for free.

even lapped, you get slightly better thermals with pasts as no one is perfect to make 100% contact and if you did, there is a chance of cold welding and fucking up both cooler and cpu.

ur a meme

>last post about an hour ago
>bumping the thread with dumb shit
Hello OP.

Nigger, what?

>tells off about dumb shit
>bumping anyway
Ok OP.

>Silver based thermal paste.

Thermal paste is a meme. It's a market.

What?
You think Arctic Silver 5 has that name because it sounds cool?

Guys I applied my cpu to my motherboard and turned it on
there was a loud pop and now the power button doesn't work
did I fuck up?

Hell, even the C64 uses paste on its video chip.

yup
if you're lucky it's just a fried capacitor on the mobo.

not even close to a believable troll, OP

anyway
use liquid metal
this shit is awesome

>liquid metal
Enjoying that extra 1 degree I see

>audiophile dac, tubeamp and audiophile headphones
>riced up mechanical keyboard
>overclocking with custom loop
>overclocked router with custom software

>not wanting that extra 1 degree

if you plan to go for memes
you go for all the memes
not just half of them

>Without paste, the CPU as to do the work of transferring the heat, which eats into CPU time.

What? How can the CPU do something such as heat transfer

>55 replies

This many replies for such low effort bait? What?

Guys you don't need electricity for PCs lmao quote this!!!

If your CPU has built in wifi it can send the heat to your router

No it can't are you A FRIGGIN IDIOT? THAT'S NOT HOW WIFI WORKS!!! YOU GIANT IDIOT!!!!!

>build this PC in 2010
>apply paste
>apply paste again in 2013
>applied again last year

Still going strong. Love this CPU, and can't wait to see how Ryzen is.

>58789869
(You)

unless it's a cpu with a soldered IHS

>(((thermodynamics)))
Next time you are gonna tell me that the Earth isn't flat.

Came in here to call you a retard. Then I saw your pic, and genuinely felt bad you're retarded.

My paste once dried up and I couldnt play pacman without overheating and stuttering
Applied new paste and voilĂ ! works like a charm

How do you think they attach generic heatsinks to RAM and VRMs and shit?

10/10 would laugh again

somehow people actually thought OP was being serious

I used to put thermal paste on my CPUs during the 90s. I find modern CPUs don't require such nonsense, and I'm glad that fad is over.

>there is a chance of cold welding and fucking up both cooler and cpu.

Okay, you can fuck off now you utter idiot.

>be you
>hear something your favorite tech youtube told you about
>still don't understand it
>talk about shit you don't understand on a chinese basketweaving forum in an attempt to look smart

>tells someone to learn about thermodynamics
>has no fucking clue what thermodynamics is

What could you use as thermal paste in an emergency situation?

Grease? Peanut butter?

Use ASS you fucking faggot

>be you
>be pic related

quick! update adobe reader!

You don't need to see God for him to exist.

jew science

Less is More

Mods, these threads need to be deleted

>Not using thermal paste
Enjoy using your CPU for 15 minutes before it shits the bed user.

Let's say you did manage to lap 2 surfaces together good enough to be flat, you aren't going to get the whole thing to cold weld, but you can get one section, moving the parts can become exceptionally difficult, the the way pressure releves is breaking the joint that formed.

Now there is an air pocket because the surface is not perfect.