Smart phone operating systems

Is it worth it switching from Android OS?

I want something extremely simple and fast for my phone. I was looking at Ubuntu Touch, but I'd like your opinion on the matter.

Other urls found in this thread:

androidcentral.com/sonys-marshmallow-concept-shows-how-android-should-be-2016
readwrite.com/2014/07/22/apple-ios-security-backdoor-iphone-ipad-surveillance/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just get an iPhone

Hell no, I'm not supporting those money whores

This.

Android lost their practical functionality advantage over iOS like 2-3 years ago while never gaining the same stability and speed. With SE even the price excuse doesn't exist anymore.

Ubuntu touch is pretty good. It looks nice, and is pretty responsive, but you need the technical know how to port it to another phone. Other than that, BlackBerry OS and iOS are the big ones.

Android is fast and simple on the UI side (that it's not simple behind the nice tapestry is kinda obvious with these devices doing so fucking much).

lol why are you two even here?

>Android is fast
>needs 4 cores and 4GB RAM to run as well as iOS on old iPhones
Android is many things but it's not fast. The hardware overhead with crap like Android Runtime or Dalvik before is crazy.

It's "Sup Forums - Technology" not "Sup Forums - ricing", faggot.

Besides at least ricing your desktop can help with your workflow (not like most people who rice their shit work) while ricing your phone is just a past time for children.

If you just want something simple and faster than Android buy an iPhone.

Unless you're writing this from a very minimalist Linux that avoids even Xorg, I don't get why you'd call the ART overhead "crazy".

Android is fast. It's not assembly code fast, but real OS fast, and with a nice scheduler at that.

You can start 10000 processes and they'll be basically just like 10000 processes without imploding the whole thing on any particular IO or anything.

And as a realistic end user running a lot less actual processes than that, you almost never should have to wait on any app doing shit with a halfway modern phone and halfway okay ROM.

But if you open more than 1 app your android will become lagdroid and overheat instantaneously.

This isn't true, don't listen to this iTard. IOS has a shit ton of limitations and restrictions and lacks basic functionality. Even dumbphones aren't as restricted.

Ubuntu touch phones are currently unavailable. I doubt anyone will ever make another phone supporting it since canonical doesn't have enough funds to develop a decent phone OS in addition to a desktop OS, and smartphone manufacturers are all exclusively looking at android. I think you can still buy the Meizu android versions and flash Ubuntu, not sure.
It's also currently not very customizable, sailfish OS looks more promising and it can run almost all android apps excluding very heavy games. I'd recommend staying on android until Google makes a better smartphone OS.

No it doesn't. RAM is just an optional upgrade so you can have more background and suspended apps, re-opening them significantly faster than iOS. The OS is a decade ahead of iOS so they're not even in the same category.
>android - proper smartphone OS with desktop functionality
>iOS - dumbphone OS which hasn't progressed since it's release, can't do anything a 2007 dumbphone or android v3 can't
I'm using a 2 year old 2GB RAM device and have never experienced lag.

No, that only happens on iPhones

>this delusional faggot

Name one limitation other than App Store not letting you download 2GBs games over 3G.

Windows 2000 is faster than windows 7 and 10 and yet it's still a shittier and less advanced OS.

>android
>advanced os

Poo in loo

This. Also the keyboard lag. I never minded it or even noticed it before but after using an iPhone, coming back to my Android phone, the keyboard lag was fucking painful.

>iOS has a shit ton of limitations and restrictions
Sure.

>lacks basic functionality
Yeah, no. Can you not make pics with it? Read an ebook? Browse the web? Make calls and write down notes?
That's what basic functionality means and what matters for a normal person. No one wants to switch their launcher because the stock one was pure shit or rice muh icons.

>re-opening them significantly faster than iOS
Simply not true, which is pretty weird but probably down to much faster memory to be fair.

>I'm using a 2 year old 2GB RAM device and have never experienced lag.
Same reason consolefags think 25-30fps is perfectly fluid. You get used to shitty performance and don't notice it anymore. Been there too. Then I got an iPhone.

Not happening.

AKSHUALLY, Windows 2000 was better for its time than Windows 7 and 10 were in theirs. Also it's not really faster on somewhat modern hardware.

Think of android phones like amd, lots of cores, cheap, but weak. Think of apple like intel. Less cores, more expensive but will always crush android.

XD

Except that better performance and battery life and all that is on Android's side. As is market share.

Pros for using an Android device:
>cheaper (actually they cost between $50-$1000 so it's very relative)
>doesn't have overpriced accessories
>3.5mm + mini-USB universally accepted on them
>mSD
>better camera on most devices
>better battery life on some phones
>some devices have wireless charging
>back button
>can be used as a flash drive, without having to use LagTunes (so it can also be a Bootable Media)
>can share files with other devices over BT/WiFi
>deletable default/system apps
>superior rooting
>great variety of phones
>adjustable interface
>superior operating system overall
>better apps
>better multitasking
>file manager (even dumbphones have this)
>can download and install software outside a single app store
>can download certain files without 3rd party apps
>can download over 100MB at once
>can torrent, become a tiny server, overclock/underclock, and more
>AdAway, XPrivacy, AFWall+, Lucky Patcher, additional security and privacy apps, custom ROMs, system tweaks, easy recovery, more features and apps
>more useful apps for tech competent people
>even if you jailbreak an iPhone to get a few additional features, a rooted Android device still has 10x features, it even has more features when it's not rooted
>is an actual smartphone, instead of being an overpriced dumbphone
>pretty much a computer in your pocket

iPhones are made for consumers only, those who will just use social media and nothing else. They're just an expensive hobby, popular because mindless consumers worship brands. Android is made for everyone, including consumers, and can do almost anything a desktop OS can do, plus whatever iOS can do. Lower end Android devices may be slower, but they come at 1/8 price of an iPhone and still can do much more. You can almost always fix an Android phone yourself instead of paying a pajeet $100 to check what's wrong and another $200 to fix it. You can't turn an iPhone into a useful tool and you're very limited when using it.

if you are in a western society, iPhone. your girl contacts will look down on you if you dont.

if you are in a third world society, get whatever.

Just get a BlackBerry 10 phone. They're still fucking awesome and hella cheap now.

>about the same browsing time as iPhone SE with 1600mHA battery
Literally AMD-tier efficiency.

No user accessible file system.
No sd card support.
No pointing device support.

Just off the top of my head.

Also no headphone jack as a result of only being on fucking iPhones.

You got no real choice of OS unless you own the one aftermarket phone Ubuntu OS is compatible with
You can choose between different flavors of Android but can't get away with it.

>No sd card support.
Like Pixel? You're not suggesting to get outdated trash that won't get any updates, do you?

That shits slower than an iphone 4gs lmao

Only cheap chink/murrican devices don't get updates.

You can't access root filesystem on lagdroid without rooting it either.
>sd card
>20mb/s
No thanks.
>no pointing device support
Pajeet made up feature to prove a point. Now poo in loo

> Iphone
> Rolex
> Nike
Man, you must be hanging out with like, the cool kids!

1/3 the talk time. Wow, such efficiency.

You also got rekt here
There's no point in arguing, android is clearly better.

>12h talk time
>not enough
When was the last time you spent 12 motherfucking hours talking on your phone?

It's enough, same as on the much cheaper Android phone.

But the point about the iPony being so much more efficient falls flat anyhow. It has a 4" lower resolution screen.

And you pay $500 for that shit. The other Xiaomi is $160 or less with international shipping (plus like $10 to make the storage equal with a microSD - though you might as well get 128GB extra or something).

>samsung
I don't want my phone to blow up

Isn't Ubuntu Touch extremely buggy? That's what concerns me about using it.

Even others get it months after release. Hell, most Chinkphones get an update faster than Samsung. Only with Google you have a chance to get the shit on time, which removes memes like replaceable battery, micro SD or even price.

6s plus got a smaller battery, similar resolution and last about as much too. You're not seriously arguing for Android efficiency, are you?

>It's enough, same as on the much cheaper Android phone.
Because talk time is generally irrelevant. No matter which phone you pick, it will last more than you need. It's browsing that really matters because that's what people do most of the time on their phone.

>It has a 4" lower resolution screen.
Well, the stupid resolution isn't the fault of Android but getting similar battery life despite half the battery capacity is still amazing.

>Ubuntu OS
>Simple and fast
Pick one

Everything except android or iOS is practically dead.

Ubuntu Touch Nexus 6 port when? This has said 10% for so long. I'm tempted to donate to this guy if it'll show him it's wanted.

Lol wtf, was your last phone a fucking lg g2x? Android has taken huge leaps in both performance and usability. Stop sucking jobs rotten cock and start facing the truth that ios is getting worse and worse by the day. I know because i both got an iPad air and a 6s+. Will probably update to s8 or newer pixel lineup when It's out.

Ubuntu Touch is simple, I guess, but definitely not fast.

Xperia Z3C actually. It was high end when I bought it and the performance was always erratic but obviously faster than my Galaxy S2, so it seemed good and given that I didn't want a phablet nor iOS shit there were no other options either way.

Also: androidcentral.com/sonys-marshmallow-concept-shows-how-android-should-be-2016
>The Xperia Z3 on the Marshmallow Concept firmware is probably the fastest Android phone I've used.
They also praised the battery life, that was pretty inconsistent in real use.

Now the sad thing is that iPhone 5 is about as fast and 5s absolutely shit on it even in simple tasks like shutter speed or opening apps. (The performance in apps is alright only some lags when browsing.) The absolutely biggest difference though is the keyboard lag.

>6s plus got a smaller battery, similar resolution and last about as much too.
Weren't we just at 12h is enough?

So just for the record, we now pay ~$700 for what? The camera? It's still the only thing that is better.

> Well, the stupid resolution isn't the fault of Android but getting similar battery life despite half the battery capacity is still amazing.
What is "amazing" is that it's still weighing nearly as much (113g vs 144g).

Having a smaller, much lower resolution screen that does a good part of this great "job" in enabling the same battery life is not that amazing.

>memes
Speaking of blowing up...

(cont'd)
Ah yea, once you go with the iPhone 6s Plus you're now at 192g.

Yea, reducing that battery size helped so much with... still getting higher weight, but feeling good about it not being so much the battery, which will save you about $1.5 TCO over the life span of the phone?

>Weren't we just at 12h is enough?
For talking even 3h would be. For browsing there is basically no limit and more is always better unless it adds downsides like being fat.

Also we're going from "Android is inefficient" to "OnePlus meme it's a pretty good phone", and I am not saying it's not. It's just running a shitty OS that drains the battery like crazy with all of the botnet shit and shitty architecture.

>What is "amazing" is that it's still weighing nearly as much (113g vs 144g)
>once you go with the iPhone 6s Plus you're now at 192g.
It's given that unibody aluminium weights more. "My phone is too heavy" is a complaint I didn't hear in almost two decades.

As for screen/res, it doesn't affect the battery life THAT much unless you go with 4K meme which is a bigger drain on the hardware and hence needs more power.

> It's just running a shitty OS that drains the battery like crazy
You realize that during phone calls, Android is still doing all its botnetting, service handling and so on, right?

The difference is apparently small when the screen is turned off, how do we best explain that? The remaining difference may exist, but doesn't amount to much.

Hell, maybe the iPhone is running a more optimized browser or turning off more stuff in the background (do I want that? probably not, I do want the network file copy, ssh connection, torrent client and titaniumbackup to keep doing their things as commanded / scheduled). Still doesn't change much about the OS.

> "My phone is too heavy" is a complaint I didn't hear in almost two decades.
You still heard it more often than "my battery is larger".

Is everyone just forgetting that sailfish OS exists?

OP, I've been using Ubuntu Touch on my N4 and it's really nice. There are a lot of missing and *necessary* features like CalDav and CardDav, so you need to rely on a Google account for contacts and calendar entries. It's also sort of unstable at times.

Canonical also isn't updating Ubutouch until they've fully "snapified" the desktop. aka Ubuntu Touch is dead.

AOSP without Google or Replicant are still better alternatives right now.

> proprietary UI
> no phones
> couldn't sell its hyped up tablets
Yeah Sailfish OS is totally viable.

>You realize that during phone calls, Android is still doing all its botnetting, service handling and so on, right?
Lesser so when browsing, besides browsing and watching videos also tasks the hardware more, especially with shitty overhead. A part is also obviously due a more efficient CPU too of course.

>maybe the iPhone is running a more optimized browser
That's given but wouldn't explain the video time and making a somewhat efficient media player can't be that hard of a task.

>turning off more stuff in the background
Well, in the test the weren't multitasking, so not like it's playing a part, although in real use it does help of course.

>do I want that? probably not
It's not like it does that with the shit you're using.

>You still heard it more often than "my battery is larger".
It's less of a practical issue but it points to the software that requires a larger battery or use of shitty hardware. Or both.

Fast and useful, you're advocating the use of something thats like the special olympics

Yeah it's fast

But at the end of the day you still have downs

Just get an iPhone, there literally isn't a SINGLE legitimate reason in this thread not to.

Try and name ONE thing besides emulate some retarded nintenfag system that you can't do on an iPhone.

>I have not read the thread

Let's run down the list

Android phones let you:
>have real encryption with no backdoors
>download over 100MB over mobile data
>install a third party app launcher and icons
>use it as a flash drive
>share any kind of file over wifi/bluetooth
>torrent via torrent clients in the playstore
>install apps outside the playstore
>modify a few system settings to increase performance and decrease battery drain
>manually control complex camera functions via third party apps
>natively browse files
>view better colors via amoled displays
>browse Sup Forums and natively open webms inside them via third party apps
>extract/browse archives
>add additional phone storage via a micro SD card
>replace the stock battery with a bigger one
>add widgets to your home screen
>access important functions by swiping down

ALL WITHOUT HAVING TO HACK YOUR PHONE

You can spout all the "lagdroid XDddd---" memes you want but Android phones truly are more advanced than itoddler phones and the reason why they hold over 90% of the global smartphone market share right now.

>have real encryption with no backdoors
That's for saving me the time. I almost took the post seriously.

You know the ios backdoors are legit right?

How much do they pay for every post?

Look, family, I'm all for open source systems and as little restrictions as possible, but why does Android has to have app design which isn't as nice to look at and easy to use as iOS?
Hamburger menus are cancer and where are my fancy blurs and transparencies? Why are we missing out on nice design?

>basic shit that every phone has and useless for an attacker without a trusted device
At least link the actual article: readwrite.com/2014/07/22/apple-ios-security-backdoor-iphone-ipad-surveillance/

I am on a voluntary basis, the only payment are giggles from triggered poorfags.

Could you kill yourself, please?

I am in the middle in a huge project. Maybe afterwards. (might take few years, sorry)

If you jailbreak it, iOS is a fucking beast.

Why, may I ask?

Both OS are useless without rooting. For normie tasks stock ios 10 BTFO android.

Amazon botnet. No thanks

>software level encryption
No thanks

Ending the game in the prime sounds pretty tempting. Doubt I could keep going beyond 50s with my lifestyle either way but who knows, not in rush to pull an hero or anything. Perhaps there will be another challenge to keep me all the way to the 90s.

>Android has taken huge leaps in both performance and usability.
Too bad the battery life is still atrocious.

Sailfish OS is great, but don't expect to do much beyond calls, texts, maps, music, and light web browsing.

Get out.

> haven't used the one plus 3t or the axiom 7 pro
Sir I believe your mental handicap has shown