/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0TWIV2zqvOJ
amazon.com/iSK-HF-2010-Professional-Quality-Monitoring/dp/B01D8IH7X8
amazon.com/dp/B00NTWPFSS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why is autism so prevalent in the audiophile community?

First for best budget headphones.

repostan

>Budget
$200-$300
>Location
USA
>Source
Motherboard (asus Z97-E), maybe rarely phone (lumia 950)
>Type of headphone
over ear
>Open or closed
Only used to Semi-open. I've heard good things about Open though
>Comfort level
as comfortable as possible
>Sound signature
flat, mostly. maybe a little bassy. mainly listen to pregressive/power/black metal and the occasional gay drum/bass edm trash
>Past headphones
Superlux 681 Evo, shitty target skullcandy in ears, and 1More's Triple Driver In-Ear headphones (pictured)

Hey /hpg/, I need your help. I'm using my shitty laptop with my passive speakers connecting it to my amp via AUX. Will be there noticeable difference in sound if I will send signal through headphone Amp/DAC? Looking at FiiO K1 at the moment.

Because it's very specific. There's also the chance that you've been triggered in the past because you have shit standards and don't understand anything about audio.

The headphone market is over-saturated. Companies need to slow down production.

Not really, maybe if you were using headphones.

What should I do about a SHP9500 that has a buzzing sound to it on the left side whenever the volume is too high?
I was able to record it: vocaroo.com/i/s0TWIV2zqvOJ

Are Rock Zircons still a meme? Seriously considering getting one but I keep reading different opinions on its build quality

>Will be there noticeable difference in sound
Response either way into speaker amp is generally going to be flat through passband
Thermal and current distortions will generally kept to a minimum with the high input impedance.
Noise and interference, or any other intrinsic non-linearities in the converter.

>I tried opening the pad, but I can't remove the plastic to reach the driver diaphragm because it feels like it's going to break if I force it.
>What to do?
>pic related
The screws?
There could be any number of things wrong with it. Loose voice coil, loose driver, deformed membrane, stuck hairs, these are just a few things that can and have happened to me.
Simplest thing to do is whine about receiving a defective product. Does that still work in Brazil?

AKG K7XX or DT 880 with a decent amp (FiiO E10K, SMSL M3, Fulla 2, Micca Origen+)

is FLAC a meme?

yes

no

WHICH ONE OF YOU IS LYING

maybe

They are almost as expensive as the X2 where I live

Thinking about picking these up. Only $55 bucks on newegg right now

they're shitty

He's going to need more than that, user.

they're overrated memes, not even that comfy and you look like a super sperg wearing them

I took the screws out.
It seems like you need to pull the L thing out next, so you can get something like pic related. I have no idea what to do anymore now.

I sent an message to the seller, but I doubt I can get a new one for various reasons.
The most I can get is a refund on the heaphone alone, which is not a bad deal, since it works fine.

>Buying headphones for their looks

But user, how do they sound?

Do you only speak in buzzwords?

muddy

what, can't take the heat?

>muddy

Compared to? user, you've got to be more specific than that.

600/650 with an amp

ignore k7xx is very bright and 880 also has a treble boost

Can anyone recommend me an SHP9500S, HD 518, or HD 558? What are the differences between these two, and which one would you recommend?

>I have no idea what to do anymore now.
Look at the moving bits of the driver carefully. As nice as the baffle picture is, I can't see much from it.

As a suggestion, check for buzzing using different frequency sines and sweeps instead of music.

>Response either way into speaker amp is generally going to be flat through passband
>Thermal and current distortions will generally kept to a minimum with the high input impedance.
>Noise and interference, or any other intrinsic non-linearities in the converter.
I'm too autistic to understand this.

That's the problem. I'm a newbie and have no idea on how to get to the driver.

As much as I would like to see the internals, i'd also hate for it to break. Be careful, user.

numbers do me do good. brand?

if you meant Sennheiser 650s those are 375 and therefore out of my budget

Build quality is eh. They're niggbass tier, but if you want that they're good.

Post your fucking headphones goddammit you fucks

>$50~
>Canada
>Pc
>Full size
>Open or closed doesnt matter
>Comfy
>Shitloads of headsets with mics that just end up dying

Well i just bought them before i saw what u posted. I hope they arent bad..

Philips SHP9500 on newegg only 55 bucks on sale great deal. Ends monday

That's US newegg. They don't ship to canada.

Apologies

Thats newegg usa

I need help Sup Forums, my monoprice headphones keep degrading in quality due to fatigue. After about 100 days or so, one headphone has less sound than the other.

Are there any headphones that are more fatigue resistant and have THICC cables?

Superlux HD668b
Not the comfiest, but great for the money

If music clips when it goes past a certain db level why do producers and engineers ship it that way? Foobar has to lower everything by about 10db to avoid clipping on most songs.
Or is this a thing with MP3s only?

amazon.com/iSK-HF-2010-Professional-Quality-Monitoring/dp/B01D8IH7X8
amazon.com/dp/B00NTWPFSS

If either of those ship to Canada. Cant really figure out how to check. Top is open, bottom is closed.

Who wears open headphones in public anyways?

They're nice for the price, good for gaming. Sound is flattish with a spike in treble.

Do they sound good for music and movies

why does that poorly drawn anime in the OP have a walkie talkie?

Yes they do. The larger soundstage is good for movies

I would say yes. They're not real bassy for explosions and shit, but the sound is crisp and detailed. I like them for all applications and the detachable cable helps.

I also find them super comfy.

Some very close, good bass and great sound quality. No matter the price, no problems if i have to use an amp. ty.

What's the story on these? Never seen the brand, look like pro 80 clones.

If I want the "best" quality from my music (flac, 16bit 44100 hz listening on foobar) does it matter what I set my "default format" to?

It goes up to 24bit 192000 hz so I set it to that, would 24 bit 44100 hz be better?

I'm retarded when it comes to audio stuff

I got an O2 amp, what volume level should my PC be at? I've seen people saying full volume, others saying half to 3/4. Which is correct and can anyone explain why?

100% because digital volume control works differently to analog volume control

take a new picture you cocksmoker

I'm looking to move on from my DT990 Pro after several years of trusty service. Looking for something with great soundstage/imaging + general fun (v-shape sound signature) and I think I narrowed down to these:

AKG K712 Pro / K7XX

HiFiMan HE400I / HE400S

Philips Fidelio X2

Will any of the above be an upgrade from what I have?

no, a downgrade in your case, the only thing you should consider is the premium version of dt990, which probably isn't worth the extra money or the dt880, which you might not even like more because the v shape is weaker

100% unless you can't comfortably change the volume using the knob (like you only use the range of like a tenth of your amp), in which case I'd say go for 50% or something like that

second hand exists
6xx exists

400i is also an option

Anything at a greater price tier that I should consider then?

Pretty much exactly what they are. Takstar stopped producing the Pro 80/HI2050

ISK is supposedly their parent company or something, but other companies also 'produce' them.

Its irrelevant past a point. You're way past said point. Just leave it default.

K7XX will have a somewhat wider soundstage and better imaging, but other than that they're not really as 'fun' as the 990's. Just stick with your 990's until you want to go into big bucks tier.

Is AKG dead?

hopefully

What should I consider in the big bucks tier? I've been looking at the MrSpeakers Ether but that'll be for a long-term endgame upon getting a promotion. Anything

Superlux HD 668B or Samson SR850.
668B for a detactable cable with meh comfort stock or SR850 for better comfort overall with non detachavle cable. Both are the same headphone

>Which is correct
Indeterminate. What "volume" the system controls doesn't have a known decibel taper value.
For a lot of cases, none of that stuff really matters. Read the wiki on gain structure to really get an idea.

>fatigued by the brightness of my 990s
Try equalization.
But, you know...you won't get too much useful help if you can't point out what you want to be changed by your "upgrade".

>can't point out what you want to be changed by your "upgrade".

That's a fair point. I think at the end of the day I've become "bored" of my headphones and want to see what else exists, but I don't have a way of testing anything out to actually know what's viable for me.

I guess I just gotta trial and error this unless any of you live in DC and can tell me where I can find hi-fi cans to test.

Give me the bassiest meme phones you have.
Have amplifier. Want to blow my ears out with the cast of yur yuri.

Beats by Dr. Dre

The 990 Edition won't really change much of anything as far as sound is concerned. At least, once you get past the sensitivity differences and typical pair variation.
Ether has a lot less of the treble boost, and less of the bass as well.

You could do some trial and error stuff using a parametric EQ. Post the result when you're done fiddling.

HA-SZ2000

Absolutely perfect.

> Putting stickers on your headphones
Fucking retarded holy shit.

> Getting mad at retarded weaboo drawings
Fucking retarded holy shit.

What sort of amp/dac would you recommend for HD650's? If one was to go the cheapest for best sound quality. (>200$)
Currently driving them with Xonar Essence STX.

Skip the DAC, your soundcard is going to be good enough. Get a Modi 2 or something of that range and run line out from your STX to it.

A DAC/Amp combo/pairing for $200 will be a compromise. Just get an amp.

I thought the Modi 2 was a DAC.

Wait yeah, sorry, I mean Magni2

What sort of problem are you having with it now? You can do fine with the STX.

Alright, thought so!
Is there any sort of quality bump I should expect from it? And would it be worth it to spend more $$ to get Vali 2?

None really. I was just interested if I could get more out of the cans, that's all. I've been using these for 7 years now.

>Is there any sort of quality bump I should expect from it?
Yes, though not a huge amount. An amp is an amp. Though 600/650's scale well with better amplification.

>And would it be worth it to spend more $$ to get Vali 2?
Depends if you want tube sound. I personally wouldn't, but you kind of have to hear the difference between solid state and tubes to know if you want them. I'd go with the safe route and get a solid state.

>Is there any sort of quality bump I should expect from it?
Not with a simple load like HD650.
>And would it be worth it to spend more $$ to get Vali 2
You really have to make the evaluations yourself, how much do you consider light-up filaments to be valued as.
As far as sound is considered, not particularly. It's not that different sound even (unless you want to go all magic coat hanger on me)

Harman was snatched up by Samsung recently. Not yet.

Thing to note about 668B's. If your head is big along with your ears, they'll be on ear headphones and the super uncomfortable top two plastic parts will be pushing into your head.

I had them for about two years and while they sounded good with velour pads, they fucking hurt to use until I bent the resting pads back with some cards and I relied on the clamp of the headphones to make them stay on my head.

Hoping the meme headphones are comfy when they get here.

Alright, thanks guys. I might think of getting it if I have some extra cash at some point. I was also considering getting some other cans, but I really have no idea where to go from here. I did get the hifiman HE350's and ATH-AD700's, but these just sound much nicer. Those were mostly used for other devices/gaming. I also own Etymotic Research HF5, but fuck me I can't use in-ear things for long..

Go closed back.
You could just not bother at all and spend time and money on something else entirely.

>but fuck me I can't use in-ear things for long
Different eartips help.
Maybe a different style of fit and earpiece would work?

Any suggestions on closed back ones?
I haven't used too much on headphones, and rarely buy anything else as is, so might as well have something to look forward to!

Possibly. I've tried silicone ones and foam ones. I suppose the best would be to get those cast ones, but last I checked the closest one was few countries away, so that's a no go. Perhaps I should just find something like Koss Portapro to use on the go..

Want to buy my first big boy over-ear / full-size headphones.

>Budget
150 USD

>Location
USA

>Source
Desktop computer

>Type of headphone
Full-size headphones

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Very comfy

>Sound signature
No real preference. I listen to a lot of trance/electronic if that matters.

>Past headphones
IEMs: Shure SE215, Yamaha EPH-100

>Comments
I'm looking at the ATH-m40x and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80ohm. Any advice?

HM5

anyone own the senfer UES?

If you like the frequency response of your SE215's then you probably like a more bassy sound.

DT770 or Brainwavz HM5 should be good.
770's are built better and have slightly tighter bass, but the highs more peaky and sibilant than the HM5's. Both are incredibly comfortable, very good headphones for their price.

DT 770's + the highs EQ'd down would probably be the best option. HM5's if you cant be bothered to EQ.

Yeah I do. Why?

what do you think about them? im stuck between ues and boarseman cx98

That's remarkably useful. Thanks!

How bass heavy are the HM5?

A slight bump isn't bad, but not if it sacrifices clarity.