Just move the switch and lock protection will turn off !

>just move the switch and lock protection will turn off !

What a load of bullshit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_36_5AqISo8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's not for security, it's to protect retarded users from themselves.

this day sue send pie

i have never and will never understand why they added these...

Except that they want them to get stuck, and make your SD card write mode forever so you go buy a new one.

>Muh workflow

Once a card is full up of photos, switch the write protect and put it back in its case. When you get a new one out make sure the write protect hasn't been switched so you know it's an empty one.

>He doesn't remember the write protection switch on floppy disks
youngfag detected

this.

/thread

>doesn't matter how many times I switch it

>this always comes up

is it fucked?

IIRC there should be a trick where you can put scotch tape on the switch slide to trick the reader, try giving it a Google. It might help.

I use it when plugging my SD card into unknown machines because then they won't write malware to it.

When you pull the card out has the switch been moved?

Often times the lever in the reader is too stiff and will push a weak switch back as the SD card is inserted. You need to toughen up the switch with some tape or something like

The problem is either your reader or the card is software write protected. The switch on the card isn't actually hooked up to anything, it works like the write protect switch on 3 1/2 inch floppies or the write protect holes/notches on cassette tapes, VHS tapes, and 5 1/4 inch floppies.

the switch on the SD is not a hardware read lock, instead there's a pin inside the reader, that is pushed when the switch if unlocked to indicate that the SD is not locked

that's why Cards that have lost the switch appear as locked, and why the tape around card trick works

if the switch is broken, put tape around the switch side

otherwise find a reader program that bypasses the lock since it's not a hardware lock

This desu tbqh sempai familia photographer bro

You're making too much sense user.

interesting, so why does tape fix it? it works now btw thanks

what is the point of the protection?

Think

Yea, cassettes had a better system in place. Once you decided that nothing should ever be written/recorded on one again, you broke off the little plastic write protection tab. If you ever changed your mind, or wanted to fuck with some lame-ass (mom, your entire church, etc,) who listened to like hippie bullshit or new country or gospel, or whatever, you placed a piece of tape over slot, and then replaced the shitty music with something awesome: youtube.com/watch?v=_36_5AqISo8

Buy a Chinese reader that doesn't care.

It's a shitty protection and you shouldn't need it.

The same reason why putting tape over the write protection hole of a floppy disk makes it writable again. There is a springy lever in the SD card reader that will be pushed back against a contact if the switch is in the unlocked (writable) position, if the switch is in the lock position it won't be pushed against the contact and the reader will transmit that the card is unwritable. Putting tape on it gives something to push against the lever in place of the switch.

I'm not entirely sure if it can be bypassed in software either, it depends on whether the firmware/controller of the card reader has governance over it.

>had a better system
>almost exactly the same only

Well yea, you do have a point I guess, but with cassettes you were actually encouraged to physically break shit, which is totally hardcore and badass. Mmm hmm, don't question my logic ever again.

When you're talking to a neo-luddite or nostalgiafag you have to remember they haven't really used whatever you're talking about because they are stuck in the past, leading to weird circular conversations like this because they really have no idea what you're talking about and just say "back in my day" etc.

>but with cassettes you were actually encouraged to physically break shit, which is totally hardcore and badass.
Are you 12?

>Are you 12?

C'mon dude, I remember cassettes, and describe Cannibal Corpse as being awesome, instead of old and gay. I have to be at least approaching mid life.

None, it's just another tool by big brother to keep you cucked and in control.

This bait is so ambiguous that it hurts my brain trying to determine how ironic you are being

>neo-luddite

Yea, neo-luddite...Now what does that mean? Luddites are by definition not new.

That's VHS.

The defining quality of a Luddite is that they are opposed to things that are new. Although a Luddite is a Luddite and no neo was necessary, being a "neo-luddite" isnt paradoxical in anyway

Hmm...

...really makes you think huh

It's a bit of a hard explanation but a neo-luddite is someone who makes up the rules as they go along, and those rules on what is too new always coincide directly with whatever they had at the time. Which is why I use the term interchangeably with nostalgiafag. Best example of this are dumbphone users who don't hate smartphones because they think they're tracking devices, they just hate them because they think they're too new

same for anyone trying to hold onto paper books over e-books, anyone trying to keep the internet shitty and limited to before a certain year, people hold onto old messenger services that don't even work anymore

I need some help, the sd card that I use on my 3ds got full and stopped working. I plugged it in my computer to check it, and everything was still there, but now it's write protected (I assume because it got full nonstop by freeshop). I've tried formatting it with fat32format and many other solutions that I've found online and they all tell me it's write protected, I can't even delete files.

Is it fucked or is there anyway I can format it to use it again? I don't care about the contents because I have backups.

>look at me I'm so smart

sd cards and especially microsd cards are extremely brittle and when this happens it means they're dead.

I have never had a problem with samsung or kingston but all the chinese shit like mixza sharks died within a couple of months on me and in all these cases they were in room temperature 24/7 and under no physical stress

Fuck, it's a 64gb Sandisk. Guess this is now an opportunity to pull the trigger on a 128gb microsd.

As a sidenote, when I got the card it was fine on my cellphone, then I left it outside on my desk for some months because I got a Nexus 6. That's when I saw some problems with its performance, guess I should have seen it coming ha.

yep sandisk is fine as well but when left in extreme heat or cold they tend to die much faster. they're all just too tiny and brittle

>someone who makes up the rules as they go along

Oh ok, all you had to do was call me a faggot though. That pretty much covers all possible bases, if not more.

That is cassette tape, I remember overwriting my mom's Abba tape.

VHS, audio cassettes, floppy disks and SD cards.

USBs should have them too.
Sounds like a good way to deal with the USB hijack malware that has existed for 8-10 years already.

hello pissphone

How would that help against "USB hijack malware"? It'll be written when people write. This is not a method to prevent such shit.

What prevents such shit is not being stupid like Windows which hides file and processes all over the place, has only ineffective barriers to the user becoming full admin at all times, and directly or indirectly auto-executes shit from USB sticks, or allows binaries look like document files to plebs.

That's what you need to toss.

I break the locks off of mine all the time and they're stuck in write protect.
Fortunately I found out if you put scotch tape over the slider part it removes the write-protection. It sounds like bullshit but it does work although I don't know why. Maybe the same solution can help in your situation.

Oh, I see another user already explained it.

>USBs should have them too.
they used to