FOSS Alternative Thread

What is the FOSS alternative to One Note?
What about Google Drive?
What's the FOSS alternative to AutoCAD?

Other urls found in this thread:

prism-break.org/en/categories/windows/
justgetflux.com/linux.html
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Alternative
twitter.com/AnonBabble

none, freetard software is universally garbage

Tbqh

>Google Drive
A USB drive. Or, if you use the offline features of Google Drive to sync between computers, Syncthing works perfectly, if not better.
>AutoCAD
LibreCAD or even Blender can be used as a cad in a pinch. All depends on what you're doing. There are actually a lot of free CADs out there, but since I've never gotten deep into them I can't vouch.

>I used gimp once and I didn't like it

samefag

dumb freetard poster

prism-break.org/en/categories/windows/

Literally name a single closed-cuck software that could beat a single piece of any software on a server
I'll wait

windows
try not to get too mad, the truth hurts sometimes

Protip: If FOSS "alternatives" were really alternatives, paid software would be out of business.

There are no workarounds when your entire project team is using Windows and in house software.

wew that was an easy test to check for bait
Next time you're baiting you should actually try next time

Whoah, hey guys, what are some good FOSS alternatives to Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects & Illustrator CC 2017?

Gimp
Kdenlive
Inkscape

Try harder nigger

it's not bait lad
like I said, I know your only experience with anything at all is from your mom's basement, but try not to get too mad when the adults inform you that you're wrong

>good

It is bait, lad. And bad bait at that
I know your only experience with computers is at school and with your moms laptop, but try not to get too mad when the adults are talking about computer stuff that you don't understand

>$50 a month
woah guys its so much better than getting all that free stuff amirite? XD

It costs $0 on TPB

Honestly let's be realistic here, GIMP is on par with photoshop for most people.

I'm actually so used to GIMP that I can't use photoshop anymore. I doubt most people on Sup Forums are good enough artists that it warrants photoshop, just my two cents.

Honestly the biggest problem with free cad software isn't even that it isn't as good as the closed source alternatives. The engineering field is absolutely cucked and enjoys holding onto old standards. I see that at my uni a lot because one of the shop employees apparently throws a fit if you bring him something in metric, even if it is properly dimensioned and easy to read.

Most of these people don't want to learn a new standard, even if it would make the future of the field better. I'm not kidding when I say this: the number one reason we don't switch to metric is probably because engineers are the biggest babies in the fucking world.

Which kind of sucks, because apparently one of the most requested features from Solidworks is an easy thing to implement: a "cancel calculation" feature. Apparently they conduct a survey every year and that's always really high on the list. But nobody has implemented it yet. And that's kind of a big deal because if you botch a part then you have to wait half an hour for it to finish or something

>Software being expensive is okay because I can pirate it
Try again

Do you pay for food and essential services? Why does paying for useful software trigger you?

>Why does paying for useful software trigger you?
closed source is slavery
Stallman was VERY clear on this.
it's not complicated to understand.

lmao who cares what that senile old idiot thinks

gimp is shit
krita > gimp

>I pay for a copy of a infinite resource that I can't even modify or read the code of

Telling other people how they should spend their money and what software they should use is also slavery. True freedom is shutting the fuck up and minding your own business and expecting others to do the same.

Stallman can go fuck himself.

Then you might want to not look at the sticky kiddo :^)

Why don't you sue McDonalds and ask them to reveal their closely guarded recipes because you buy stuff from their menu? How about suing Coca Cola to reveal their secret recipe? Your logic is flawless.

You buy the end product for utility. How it is made is protected by laws and patents.

Being spied on and having others making decisions for you is better
Proprietary software is literally cuckware

>paid
This is stale FUD motherfucker
Free means free to study, change and fork the source code not free as in price

FDA can still see what they put in it and make sure its safe
Companies can literally shove any amount of malicious code into their software and retards like you will just eat it up because you heard that free software was bad :'(

>I'm actually so used to GIMP that I can't use photoshop anymore.
Same here actually, it's probably too late for me but I can whip up a hot meme in GIMP in seconds, it's hard to replace that.

Though GIMP does have a lot of other limitations that I've been running into, so I've started to use Krita for some things.

Revealing source code means your competitor can study your code. R&D costs millions, hiring talented people to produce a finished product requires enormous investment of resources.

After all that, some Chink reads your code and replicates it for free becoming your competitor overnight offering similar product for half the price because he incurred no a fraction of the cost to produce it.

Do you see the problem here? It is the same with Pharmaceuticals.

>Do you pay for food and essential services? Why does paying for useful software trigger you?

I think a better comparison would be ideas, user, because in essence that is what software and programming is. A real world analogy could be speaking - where an articulate, well thought out speech could very well be worth money, or wield massive amounts of influence. Such a thing does not cost money or time for the creator to reproduce, in fact, it requires nothing on his or her part at all after it is produced.

Let's say you are talking to your friend, and you tell him a message.
Now, what happens to the message at that point is not under your control. He may convey such a message to others how he sees fit, maybe altering the message, maybe building on it. You do not control what he does with what you told him.

Communication in this form is an essential facet of life. The free expression of speech is as important in society as the right to live. Now imagine a world in which it was controlled in the same way software is controlled now.

In this world, when you tell your friend something, he is not allowed to convey such a message to others without your explicit consent. He is not allowed to build on it. He is not allowed to change it to better suit his needs.

Imagine how such an environment would stifle creativity, innovation, productivity. For something which can easily be reproduced infinitely for no cost, there's no need for this.

No user, telling others is not slavery, but FORCING others would be. And it's clear that the freedom you desire is being vivdly expressed, with a whole range of different approaches to software, those as open as Stallman's vision and those as locked down as, I don't know, CATIA.

And yet Microsoft, Google, Facebook, HP, IBM, and many other companies have poured thousands of dollars into Linux and other FOSS software
Why? They all use it. If it were a proprietary program they would all have to rely on its creator/s to work on it and fix it, which could cost them millions in losses
This is what happens in real world business practice, user. Not the "R&D is hard so open bad" theory

how is this wrong

>how is this wrong
a system which depends on you breaking the law is not a good system

a program is just a number haha just convert it into binary lol their litterally selling a number >u

>a program is just a number haha just convert it into binary lol their litterally selling a number >u

>What is the FOSS alternative to One Note?
Zim
>What about Google Drive?
NextCloud
>What's the FOSS alternative to AutoCAD?
LibreCAD

[spoiler]I believe it too I just wanted to shitpost and also lack confidence in my convictions[/spoiler]

It implies that using software that has been modified to be free is okay when according to you there is no reason you would need to modify software
If it wasn't for russian and chinese crackers you wouldn't be able to get it for free
So it also implies that community collaboration is good too, something that is apparently not needed for closed software

Paperwork
Nextcloud
FreeCAD

>Zim
>Paperwork

thanks for these guys
exactly what I was looking for

>What about Google Drive?
google drive is shit, why would you even use that

just werks tho

>Honestly let's be realistic here, GIMP is on par with photoshop for most people.

No, not really. Outside of professionals, a lot of people use photoshop instead of GIMP only because of how abysmal GIMP is at making animated gifs. It's impossible to apply a filter/effect to multiple layers for example, something PS could do 20 years ago. And no, GAP doesn't solve it, it is unsupported and broken. An entire generation of tumlbr fags making gifs could be using GIMP but because GIMP devs are absolutely retarded they don't and just pirate photoshop.

there is no free autoCAD alternative, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Most people will be recommending freecad and librecad. They obviosly never worked with a real cad

Any F.LUX alternative there ? ( saw redshift but idk don't like it )

We don't describe free software as an “alternative” to proprietary, because that word presumes all the “alternatives” are legitimate and each additional one makes users better off. In effect, it assumes that free software ought to coexist with software that does not respect users' freedom.

We believe that distribution as free software is the only ethical way to make software available for others to use. The other methods, nonfree software and Service as a Software Substitute subjugate their users. We do not think it is good to offer users those “alternatives” to free software.

What is not to like about redshift.
And why would you want an alternative, it is also on linux.
justgetflux.com/linux.html

Stop using the word alternative.
It implies that proprietary software is ever acceptable.

Christ, GNU is ran by fucking children.

Great argument.

GNU/Linux*

>One Note
I use GJots2 and have a hard time finding something better, but other people fprefer Emacs org-mode, TreeSheets, or Zim.

>Google Drive
grive2 makes one dircetory directly linked to your botnet drive

>AutoCAD
FreeCAD even has a command line interface which is pretty awesome, but some people say this field needs some imprevement.

thanks for the (You)

Does anyone known a mediaviewer (images+webm basically) that is not gThumb?

On what tier is when I ask for an alternative with x feature, then lincuck says that feature is unnecessary, so he can still claim that his inferior shit is superior, by declaring the feature I require irrelevant, thus not actually "missing"?

That argumment is literally "refuting the central point".

Why is it at the top then? It's the shittiest excuse you could ever come up with.

>I need a van, because I have a family of four, suggest me one
>fuck your kids, bicycle all the way "muh environment"

In what world is this competent arguing?

>In what world is this competent arguing?
In the real world.

I need the foss _equivalent_ of utorrent.

equivalent
JˈkwJv(ə)l(ə)nt/Submit
adjective
equal in [...] function [...]

auto-add torrents from folder, RSS, rules for automatic download / download location /tagging, persistent tags, web interface, download first and last pieces / sequentially...

I want every single feature, that means Deluge, Transmission, qBittorrent and Vuze are out.

Friendly list of apps for winrefugees.

>Window Manager
IceWM. This is more easy to use than openbox, or windows. Can look good too.
>Music Player
DeaDBeeF. Good looks means noob friendly.
>Video Player
VLC. Good defaults and doubles as a music player too.
>Office Suite
LibreOffice. It has a word clone, powerpoint, excel, etc.
>Ebook Viewer
Okular. Watch your books in a beautiful way. Is big on Qt/KDE dependencies but noobs aren't generally interested in that.
>Drawing
Krita. Made by artists this is a professional grade software, but easy to use.
>Image Editing (a.k.a. "photoshoping")
Inkscape. Want to cut, crop or add text? Easy and fast.
>Burning CD/DVD
Xfburn. Easy, fast, reliable.
>File Manager
PCManFM. All you need to browse your computer.
>Image Viewer
GThumb. A powerhouse of image organizer and not just an image viewer, triples as a video player.
>Web Browser
IceCat. Secure by default, can have firefox addons, also fast. Disable the LibreJS addon because it can be annoying for noobs.
>Chat, Voip (skype)
Pidgin. Can connect to all chats, videochats, etc.
>RSS Feeds
Liferea. Do yu read feeds? You should.
>IRC
HexChat. Be comfy on one of the oldest ways of shitposting.
>Search Engine
YaCy. Is time to leave the botnet, host your own search engine.
>Java
IcedTea. Launch java natively without losing freedom.
>Virtual Machine
Virtualbox. So you can start distro hoping.
>"Emulation"
WINE. To launch photoshop and play gaymes.
>Download Manager
JDownloader. Download from everywhere without recurring to the command line.
>Torrent
Transmission-gtk. Easy and reliable, don't need more.
>Accounting
GnuCash. So you can keep track of the bucks you are saving when using free software.

Do I miss anything?

>2017
>unironically suggesting GUI applications

>Window Manager
tmux
>Music Player
cmus
>Video Player
mpv
>Office Suite, Ebook Viewer
vim/emacs/jed/... + latex or pandoc for writing
pdftotext, pandoc, wv, antiword and/or soffice --headless for reading
scim, teapot or sc for spreadsheets
>Drawing
shpaint, aewan, cadubi
>Image Editing
imagemagick of course
>Burning CD/DVD
what fucking year is this?
>File Manager
mc, ranger
>Image Viewer
fbi, fim, zgv
>Web Browser
elinks
>IRC, Chat, Voip
irssi, weechat, finch, telegram-cli, yowsup-cli, etc.
>RSS Feeds
canto, newsbeuter, snownews, newsblur-cli, etc.
>Search Engine
surfraw + elinks as frontend, yacy as backend if you must
>Java
java
>Virtual Machine
qemu, the virt-manager tools, vboxmanage, vagrant
>Emulation
dosbox, to play the best gaymes ever made
>Download Manager
aria2
>Torrent
rtorrent
>Accounting
tapecalc or whatever

> Pen and paper
> External harddrive, your own sever, etc.
> Pen and paper

>1970+46
>muh CLI
kys

+46
in the year of the lord 2017

nigga, I do like CLI software, but to be realistic noobs need GUI alternatives

>any year
>rejecting the simplest, most usable and most powerful computer software ever invented because muh GUI

Noobs should stop fingerfucking their iPads and learn how to use a general purpose computer.

Simplenote

Nextcloud notes

I believe we're done here. Pack it up gentlemen.

Gnu emacs
Nextcloud
Librecad

>tmux
*screen
>cmus
MOC
>rtorrent
*transmission-daemon + transmission-remote-cli

This, free software is anti white because it enforces communism. Trump is going to destroy freetard commies because only pedos and terrorists promote it. Use proprietary software if you're not a cuck.

Sorry freetard cuck, but Sup Forums is waking up and realizing that proprietary software is better. Move out of your mom's basement you fat sweaty loser.

tmux is objectively better than screen in every way.
cmus is simpler, but I guess I can't really object to moc.
transmission used to be buggier than rtorrent, not sure if it still is.
transmission-remote-cli is deprecated.

go back to your containment board, what the fuck are you doing here?

Back to your containment website, cuck.

Looking for the following

>Email server that I can run on a vps
>Web frontend for said email server
>Notes apps for Android and macOS that can be synced via vps
>An actually decent music player for macOS

>mc
is there a way to make the OS produce/remove a link in the home folder whenever a new usb stick is inserted/removed?

Please explain to me how you are going to prevent monopoly without free (as in freedom) software. I mean, look at what Microsoft does in schools, everyone is enforced to learn their shitty software and if anyone gets any close to emulating their stupid format, they will add a bunch of bloat to justify the new version, and the retards will just follow the brand.

I will wait.

get the fuck out of here and take your propaganda with you

I don't personally use it, but you might want to look into Kolab for your mail needs.

You talk about propaganda? That's rich.

Telling people something is not slavery if they're not forced to follow it.

what the fuck does that even mean? get the fuck out

There are none unfortunately

You could use feh for images and mpv for any webms.
You won't image viewer that also supports webms

FOSS people dont do real work, so there arent any :^)

digiKam and GTKRawGallery?

Why the following?
>deadbeef instead of clementine
>VLC instead of MPV
>LibreOffice instead of WPS
>Not suggesting KolourPaint and Pinta as Paint.exe alternatives instead of Inkscape
>IceCat instead of Firefox or Nightly Firefox
>Pidgin instead of FB Messenger or Wire

Linux uses a thing called udev to run various scripts when you plug/unplug devices. You could, indeed, write your own scripts to mount USB devices on insertion and add a link to your home directory.

Unfortunately, it's an arcane piece of shit that makes fontconfig look like the pinnacle of German engineering, and there was no good up-to-date documentation on it last time I checked. Maybe there is now?

I suggest you try using usbmount, see if it still works nowadays. If not, good luck!

Isn't WPS a proprietary Chinese piece of shit?

Yes, but it supports proprietary formats better so it's more normie friendly. It feels like a gratis MS Office, so WPS is as shit as MSO, except it's free, available on all platforms and won't phone to Microsoft (but may phone to Chinks).
LibreOffice doesn't yet feel complete, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who ever wants to open important doc/docx files. It also for some reason lags like hell when reading certain files (I believe it was a pdf file with a calc-like 15x200 table) while they don't lag on Firefox which isn't even an office suite.

aight, gonna read about udev then. thanks famalam.

Krita can replace Microsoft Paint
Nemo can replace Microsoft's File Manager

Everything else cannot be replaced, Windows is kinda based whether you admit it or not.

Faggots, such as yourself, that have never worked a day in their life, always want something for free.

Too bad GNU/Linux will never be widely adopted on the desktop, therefore it will never have AAA games, HIgh Quality Editing Software, or proper vsync.

The only thing Linux excels at is Server stuff or Virtualisation.

Everything for free is shit, even Krita has to be crowdfunded to approach Photoshop's level of excellence.

This is definitely bait, I'm a long time gnu/linux user and I must say that it is truly the most cucked Kernel/OS ever.

FFmpeg is regularly used for free (gpl) in products that make animation studios, millions.

Same with Nomachine NX, they use OSS in their proprietary software and turn massive profits without so much as a thank you.

If that isn't cucking, I don't know what is.

>Why the following?
>deadbeef instead of clementine
noob friendly
>>VLC instead of MPV
same as above
>LibreOffice instead of WPS
okay, that might be debatable
>Not suggesting KolourPaint and Pinta as Paint.exe alternatives instead of Inkscape
I am not familiar with those
>IceCat instead of Firefox or Nightly Firefox
Nope, IceCat is better out of the box.
>Pidgin instead of FB Messenger or Wire
Haven't use those.

stop shitposting pajeet

/thread desu

fuck off spammer