/eg/ - Employment general

ITT we discuss getting a programming job.

How did you get yours? Did you go to school?

Is it literally as simple as throwing some code up on github?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_minimum_wage
numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>falling for the employment meme
Probably will fall for the marriage meme too

Been there, done that...

>he thinks he can land a good job with a github *portfolio*
Kek, enjoy slaving away at some no name startup for 60k a year

>tfw i slave away at one for $175k a year
gonna be sad when this gig ends and i need to find a proper job

>Is it literally as simple as throwing some code up on github?
Besides my degree, that's all I've got, and I'm approaching 9 months since graduating without a job.

Are you kidding? I would love that. Shit, I'm telling people I'll work for 40k.

Is it worth mentioning circuitry/microcontroller experience if applying for a software job?

Got my current job because white people connections and some shit open source project I maintain. Working on A+ certification so I can move forward. There's not a lot obstructing progress.

>be 30
>only ever had 1 job of note in my life... worked 4 months in a call center which was the "probationary period" and I was never kept on after that because I suck at customer service
>fuck all employment references except two friends character references
>recently got hired as a developer at a cloud computing company

I basically had a decent CV and a portfolio of stuff I made on my own time and an open uni degree (Q62). The stuff on my portfolio is mostly websites because HR staff can click and see kinda thing. None of them will give a fuck about my admittedly pretty poor project euler solutions.

I also did very well on the practical task set and they liked talking to me in the interview.

I failed at 3 previous interviews with other companies and it took a year after graduating to get this job.

So how do you get hired? Be persistent, be reasonably personable, make some stuff in your free time. Include nice looking websites in this to punch through the HR wall. Bootstrap and animate.css can help here.

Not yet, I'm NEET
Yes, finished a MSc 2 years ago

my first job was mostly luck.
>be 22
>attended college and failed horribly
>work some shit job through temp-job agency
>friend who's in uni gives me a call
>"hey user, I got an internship at this company"
>"they wanted 5 interns but the uni only sent them 3 students"
>"there's 2 slots left so if I want I give you the phone number"
>get the number, call, arrange for interview
>meet at the company, blah, blah, I got in
>after two months the boss asks me if I'd like to stay as an employee
ended up working there for two years.

I recently got my first help desk job a few months ago and I'm learning programming in between calls. Coming from shitty blue collar jobs, $60k to sit on your ass and code is great. My last warehouse job I made $40k after doing a shit load of overtime. You mean I could make more than that without OT? Sign me up nigga

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this or not but I guess this is better than making a separate thread.

Here in pajeetland, companies come to our college to conduct interviews for final year engineering students and if we get selected we can start working there once we graduate. Most of the companies offer IT job positions and students (even the ones from electronic engineering and other engineering branches) apply for these jobs as a fallback in case they don't get the job they desire in the future. However even if you get an offer letter after a successful interview, some companies won't employ you until 6 or 12 months after your graduation.

I was curious if other countries have such on-campus recruitment programs for engineering students.

Inb4
>hurr durr poo in loo fuk off

Gentle reminder that if you know programming, you are better than 99.5% of all programming job applicants. Best of luck!

Any yuropeans here? Recently accepted a job offer for a little over 60k EUR. While the salary is significantly better than at my previous company, they also directly agreed to how much I was asking.
Did I undersell myself? What's an average salary for western european programmers?

this really varies country to country.
I guess you could use numbeo or glassdoor for a rough estimate.

I wonder how reliable those are. Wouldn't it be in the interest of the employer to publish some "anonymous" reviews that are under the market rate? Besides this particular company is on the smaller size so I didn't find any entries.

>Did I undersell myself?
Maybe. You also have to worry what actual shit job they actually sold you...

I'm not too concerned about that part. Really the job seems fine, and I'm happy with the salary, but it makes me wonder.

you can look for other companies in the same area.

is this a joke? i am autismo

No joke. Look at the origins of FizzBuzz.

50/50 bullshitted my way into the job and filling dead mans boots.

I joined the company as an office bitch as I was desperate for a job, time passes and the person responsible for wayyy too much of business operations including IT had to leave, so I picked up the ball because of my background and skills. Few years holding the IT fort I forced them to pay me more by quitting, now this year I'm getting lots of call backs for a new job along with one I actually turned down.

>mfw I make 6 660 EUR a year working in a warehouse.

They have those in England, and probably elsewhere too.

>Second interview on Friday
>If successful, start on Monday (tomorrow)
>Have not heard either way
>tfw the Super Bowl finishes at like 4am in England
>tfw want to watch it but afraid they will ring me after three hours of sleep and demand I start my new job

That is low, even by 3rd world standards. Don't they have laws against that in Eurolandia?

>probably elsewhere too
I know that they have job fairs in all the big universities here in Malaysia.

Do you live in a tent?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_minimum_wage

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

I live with a roommate.

Luxembourg, making everyone else feel ashamed. Nice!

Then how come I don't have a job yet?

Passed the HR screening at Microsoft University and got hired by one of their partners a few months later.

Took me 3-5months of job hunting after graduating. I was at a lot of interviews and sent a ton of applications in that time.

If you want to get a job, you need to bypass the standard process and get in front of the people that will care.
You need to call, assuming they have seen your resume and applications request an interview.
REQUEST AN INTERVIEW!!
It's your job to make them understand you know you can do the job and that you want to work there.
DONT WAIT ON THEM, GET THE JOB