Is it worth buying games on Steam knowing that you don't own them? Or do you prefer buying physical copies?

Is it worth buying games on Steam knowing that you don't own them? Or do you prefer buying physical copies?

I only buy stolen keys from third party sites and skip the VAT.
This is literally the only worthwhile way to buy digital goods.

jimmy fuckin' corkhill

Our Jimmeh

My nigga

When you buy physical copies that come with DRM, you don't own the game any more than you own a Steam copy.
install gog

Yes it is, Steam is convenient. All your games are in one place with saves and all your preferences and can be accessed from any part of the world, unless some games are region locked.

When they banned countries because of embargo's, I never touched Steam again. Iḿ not going to wait until Trump takes my games away.

>buy
>games

Just fucking pirate your games, you're actually just hurting the devs with creditcard chargebacks retard.

fuckers like you ruined the industry of physical media

boo fucking hoo if physical media were any good we'd be using them

If it's not available as a physical copy I'm not paying for it.

>implying it's not good. If I spend 20 minutes going to the store and buy one game on a BDXL disc, the maximum theoretical bandwidth of the transfer is just under 1Gb/s. The more games I buy the higher this bandwidth is. Let's see your Internet conenction do that.

you obviously never had to download a patch for say, half life for TWO WEEKS ON A FUCKING TELEPHONE LINE

>hurting the devs
>LEAVE THE DEVS ALONE!!!

Fucking cucks make me sick.

>Implying the transfer rate while obtaining the media is what makes it good or bad.

How fucking dense are you lad?

>implying near instant gratification isn't better than waiting hours for a download

>hours

lolwat, are you on dial up still?

>hundreds of GB
>not hours
lolwat, are you retarded?

I prefer having physical copies, but steam sales are so cheap I don't mind spending $5 here $10 there.

>>hundreds of GB
yeah ok lad

Are you going to keep spewing shitty memes or is there going to be an actual argument brought to the table at some point?

I prefer not buying games at all. Gaming is in such a shit state right now.

>wanting an actual discussion on Sup Forums
wtf m8

If you're just here to shitpost then go to your containment board.

here's an argument

>download a game
>play the game
>download more games while playing the first game

Also, not living in a 3rd world country where your internet speed is measured in kilobytes does also help.

Where can you get physical copies these days anyway?

Says the guy defending buying physical copies in 2017.
>actual argument
kekt

>you don't own them

wrong
also

>just accept my shitty compromise
>we're talking about Internet speeds so of course I'm assuming my opponent has dial-up
no

>lol physical media
How's it feel to be twelve?

Steam is way ahead of microsoft,sony,nintendo or anything else.
most of all my old gaming shit almost worthless and incompatible/usable.
Steam at least existing online you can redownload on whatever computer you want without the stupid disc limited install electronics arts drm bullshit and just play the game through your account. oh my xbox died? better get a new one... oh shit my old xbox games dont work anymore, and what the fuck i lost the password to my live account i need to make a new one and my games copies dont work anymore because it came with a drm product code. worthless. dont want a ps4 after having every previous play station because i can't use my old games on there and forced to buy a fucking online subscription because games suck and are forced into multi player now to justify buying a subscription. it's dumb.
steam is just the best gaming platform and hopefully they wont fuck gamers over and start merging with gaming companies with the crap their pulling for the gaming consoles or they'll become just as bad instead of being the only decent option for some gamers

>Muh vinyl
How's it feel to be 75?

>muh shitty memes
See

this is the only correct answer

>shitty compromise
More like realistic approach. Because that game you will be downloading probably isn't going to be hundreds of gigabytes in size.

Also, you must live in a city or something when leaving your house to just buy things is considered easier than sitting at home and clicking a button or two.

Implying I'm not lobbying the EU government about this issue atm.

>My meme gets a meme response
>better call him out on using a meme

You'd think someone as old as you would be wiser by now.

I lose the physical copies anyway and I have a job, so the amount of fucks I give is pretty much 0.

>buy physical copy
>its just a steam key

>buys stolen keys from g2a
>being a literal poorfag cunt

>Because that game you will be downloading probably isn't going to be hundreds of gigabytes in size.
Notice I said maximum theoretical bandwidth. I was talking about the potential pf physical media, I never claimed every game was hundreds of gigs.
>Also, you must live in a city or something when leaving your house to just buy things is considered easier than sitting at home and clicking a button
I don't even live in the same town as the store I'd go to.

I've yet to post a meme. Meanwhile you can't do anything but spew them.

>unless some games are region locked

Get an .ISO, crack patch, mount and run it, not that hard. It's their fault for not selling.

>muh physical reeeedia
>hundreds of GB
>hours to download
>XD you 12 m8?

Yeah no memes at all lad.

If you don't want to support developer then what's even the point of buying? Like user said, pirate. You do less harm and you pay nothing.
Fucking brainlets make me sick.

>valid points
>calling an immature poster a child
Exactly, no memes at all.

usually when I buy a game and play through it, I'm done with it

it's not like games have much replayability these days

>buy a physical copy
>it contains 10% of the game data
>have to download the rest anyway
>like 2/3 of my old CDs are dead already

Gee thanks OP, having a physical copy feels awesome.

>valid points
kek, good one mate

>You do less harm
You think I care about this at all?

Are you by chance a delusional liberal? You're acting like one.
>Trump is POTUS
>Americans crying "B-B-BUH HE'S NOT MY PRESIDENT"
You can not like it all you want, it doesn't make it false.

Is it worth believing bullshit like "You don't own it because a EULA said so"?

I can do what ever I want with the software that I download, I make tons of backups and no EULA is gonna "revoke my license"

Case and point your "physical copy" has a license the same as any digital copy

All games worth playing are free.

It's cheap and by the time Steam dies I would have played every single one of them or I'll be dead

>Gets BTFO
>Cries about trump

You can't make this shit up.

Tux racer is truly a masterpiece

>has no argument
>LOL BTFO
Classic

That's why I only buy my games on GOG.

I have Steam because it's where everything is, not because I like the way they control everything. If I had it my way people would still sell games physically but through flash drives instead of disks, with companies pushing updates on their own websites.

>doesn't have to insert the disc every time I want to play
This alone made me choose Steam over physical media

I buy on steam. For online games you're tied to some kind of service and your account can get revoked so that you can't play, none of this is mitigated by using steam.

For single player games I'll pirate the game if steam/valve goes bankrupt or something happens to my account.

When will GOG be renamed to something that allows it to compete against Steam?

when it gets new games XD

>Has no arguments
>Blames others for not providing any either

I provided plenty of arguments, you merely chose to ignore them. Quit being a fucking dumbass.

Games on steam are so cheap that I don't care about the fact that I don't truly own them, or that valve can pull the plug one day and I won't be able to play them again.

half of "physical copies" nowadays is just a nice-looking box with a fancy card inside that says "this is your Steam Key for the game, have fun downloading the 50GiB"

In Britain a lot of new games are cheaper in physical from Amazon.

The only somewhat valid argument you provided is 'it takes less time to obtain'. Which is a shit argument not only because it all depends on your location and connection, but also because you can do other things while downloading, rendering the actual download times moot. Do you have any actually valid arguments or do you want to continue being a pretentious faggot?

Regardless of your connection downloading a few hundred gigabytes of data is going to take longer than a trip to the store.

>Do you have any actually valid arguments or do you want to continue being a pretentious faggot?

You're retarded.
You must think that the best internet speeds cap at like 2mb/s download times lmfao

We could play this game all day, but I'm not going to waste my time with some autist. I know you're going to twist this into a victory so enjoy your little Internet win

This is taking 1Gb/s connections into account, dumbass. Learn to do some math. Even with a fully saturated Gb connection it's still going to take about as long to run to the store as it would be to download 128GB. If you buy anything more than one game you're simply destroying your home Internet speeds in comparison.

>installing bitcoin miners and malware

just drop gaymes

you don't own the physical copies either. You just own the disc. they can take away the license if they want to.

Mate, at least like 5 people have told you why your silly opinion is just that, silly. Nobody needs to twist anything here.

I own 4 games with physical copies, Diablo 2 and LoD expansion, Diablo 3, Battlefield 2 and SF expansion, and Battlefield 3, i own them and can do what i want, with steam games i don't own them, steam owns them i just "rent them while my cd-keys/account aren't banned"

I would much rather have all my games available on physical copies, but a lot of the games i own i wanted to get as soon as the game come out which means digital download was faster than having to travel or actually hope a place had it in store.

Impatience is a major flaw of mine and I'm very impatient when it comes to things i really want.

>wasting energy and destroying the environment by burning fossil fuels simply so I can get "muh physical media"

/thread
why isn't this stupid fucking thread on /v anyways
useless fucking mods. allows lincucks to spam even more than the faggot advertisers.

>Is it worth buying games on Steam knowing that you don't own them? Or do you prefer buying physical copies?

I prefer GOG. At least they'll let me keep the fuckin files so I can back them up and package the installers all nicely and pretend it's a physical release.

Physical media could still be viable if games on PC were stored on disks and went through either a more hands off client like GOG or no client at all.

Or if steam would stop being an asshole and allow offline installs.

What website do you reccommend?

Kinguin
G2A

>At least they'll let me keep the fuckin files
"I am too retarded to copy files from my steam folder after downloading them"

The Witcher 3 is on GOG

How are these places not just shut the fuck down yet?

You still don't own the games, most retail copies require you to use steam/uplay/origin/whatever anyways.

>Get an .ISO, crack patch, mount and run it,
Useless if it's a multiplayer game.

well it's not like the linux versions are easy to pirate.

Which is to say you won't be consuming it at all, right? Because a lack of physical media doesn't mean the game materialized from nothing. It was still a labor to create and you're not entitled to take it for free because no one put it on a CD for you.

Steam is fucking based, I picked up Deus Ex for $1.98 yesterday

As an installable package that requires no client, fuckass.

Get fucked, I refuse to pay three times the price of a physical media which is nothing more than a burned DVD or Blu Ray.

I couldn't possibly give less of a shit how much effort went into production, if the only way to purchase it is a digital download I'm not spending a cent on it.

*pressed

Again, you're not going to consume it all then, because their choice of distribution doesn't entitle you to pirate a copy. You're free to not buy the game, you're not free to steal it. If you argue otherwise, you're just using the physical media argument as a weak excuse to justify piracy.

>you're not going to consume it all then, because their choice of distribution doesn't entitle you to pirate a copy
Obviously.
>You're free to not buy the game, you're not free to steal it
I'm not justifying shit. If I can't buy the game I won't have the game. I don't pirate the ones that I can't purchase on physical media, I merely ignore the fact that they exist because as far as I'm concerned, they don't.

It's nice to have principles, I guess.
(It's nicer to have real principles, but what can ya do)

You can get physical copies for almost a quarter of the price of steam prices here due to the retarded price bracket steam puts this country in.

So yea, the normal procedure for me is:
>buy box copy
>wait for it to be delivered
>open box
>see empty box or fake install disks with steam code
>toss disk in garbage, put box on shelf
>activate steam game
>download, play