There's just no way this won't be yet another mild disappointment from AMD. There's two main reasons:

There's just no way this won't be yet another mild disappointment from AMD. There's two main reasons:
1. Retards forget that making CPUs isn't a feelgood sports movie where the underdog comes back in the end. It's about science and enginering and if your RND budget is 1/10th then you're not going to compete in all areas.
2. The same people have hyped it up well beyond realistic goals. They yet again think that it's going to BTFO intel and make AMD market leader overnight

Other urls found in this thread:

moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/noise/2016/000699.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hope it'll be okay.

If it's priced right it could do really well.
Given AMD's track record though- there will be like a i5-7600k (or whatever) competitor at $200, but they only make 12 of them so you can't find it for less than $500

Performance increases of Intel processors have stalled, meaning AMD will eventually get very close even if it takes them a while.

Yeah pricing is now all that matters. Here's hope they deliver.

I'm interested in what they've got in the low end. Now that fucking Pentiums have HT and cost $60 it's going to be super hard to compete in that segment.

It never struck you that they've stalled because they have no competition, not because they've hit a wall?

They've been competing with their previous line of products for at least a decade.

If the problem was no competition, intel chips would have built-in self destruct mechanisms to force you to buy the new generation.
Since they don't, and intel CPUs can actually last decades (they're really solid), there's no reason to upgrade for 98% of people for years and years.

You can see this in their attempts to add extra functionality, hardware decoding, even going for the iGPU enchancements. They're looking desperately for improvements that aren't measured in pure x86_64 performance.

It's not the lack of competition, there's too much money to be made in the ultra high-end CPUs. It's physics and engineering. We're at 14 nm user, shit is just crazy hard and absurdly expensive.

AMD should just focus more on APUs, they are good at that

/̶g̶/̶ will judge it solely by how fast proprietary video games for Sup Forumsintendo run on it.

>CPUs isn't a feelgood sports movie
you might say that the RND budget is 1/10th
but this isnt the 80's. Intel and AMD share most major technical feature patents and differentiate them in the package.

for me the real reason to consider amd is the fact that i would enjoy having more cores and the early integration into the kernel which Intel hasnt completed yet even for kalby lake

1) AMD beat Intel before on a fraction of their budget, they could do it again
2) reading news or hype is your own fault.

>early integration into the kernel
What do you exactly mean by this? Is this Linux thing or other else?

>intel chips would have built-in self destruct mechanisms
If they degrade their CPUs the they would have competition retard.

Doesn't matter if you're ahead by 20% or 2%. If the price is roughly the same as your competitor you'll still get 80% marketshare

>AMD beat Intel before on a fraction of their budget
lol
>reading news or hype is your own fault
>just posted hype himself
LOL

>CPUs are optimized for video games. Video games are a huge market---a
market where people pay close attention to performance and adjust their purchasing decisions accordingly. Yes, yes, some buyers pay attention to CPU performance for weather
prediction, or movie rendering, or various other important applications. But most of these applications have the same basic bottlenecks as video games: most importantly, low-precision multiplications and additions.

>moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/noise/2016/000699.html

>betting against Keller
Pity the fool

yeah man, I hear you. there's no way in hell that the mythical AMD K7 is going to beat the Pentium 3, let alone the Pentium 4. Intel just has so much more R&D.

you seriously are to young to remember K7 or K8?

>kids

This is the only reason why i have high hopes for Zen.

The Keller doesn't fuck around.

What did you expect from neo-Sup Forums?

That's exactly the point retard. This is technology. Anything that happened almost 20 years ago is irrelevant. Most people who worked on that architecture probably aren't even with AMD anymore.

You might as well say that an American car is going to win Le Mans this year

Guy who designed those chips worked on Ryzen..

That's kind of why we're interested.

>one guy makes a CPU
>still ignores that it was 20 years ago
Just no.

Also, if anything, your example should tell you that AMD has only succeeded with 1 out of 10 launches. So there's a 90% chance Zen will be the same as always
>buh-buh muh hype
no

>Histroy doesn't matter, it doesn't ever repeat itself

You know why K7/K8 were so successful, fuck even why Cyrix was so successful?

Because Intel was stuck with same inefficient core design and was trying to improve it even when it was past it's time.
Same now is happening with i7 core.

Yeah, except he left AMD to go do other things. He hasn't worked on anything for AMD since those days, but has been working on microarchitecture designs for other usage.

Even if he gets AMD to Haswell like IPC, that's honestly good enough given they're looking to do serious 8core chips.

I'm not even hyping this, I just want to see what lands. What irks me is people making absolutist comments.

Intel have hit a wall, everyone is going to catch them in time. That's always been the way this was going to work out. It's no like Intel are still charging ahead with the designs. Even top of the line ARM chips are starting to compete with lower end X86 designs.

>What do you exactly mean by this? Is this Linux thing or other else?

not or other else but yes integration into the linux kernel like the one you find on kernel.org

are you a flint bathwater taste inspector or whats wrong with you sentence?

>We're at 14 nm user, shit is just crazy hard and absurdly expensive.
Greyhawk is due in 2019 7nm.

I really am tempted to go with ryzen, mostly on the hope that i can get at least two CPU generations out of it.

>intel hit the wall in x86
>amd playing catch-up
>people keep forgetting that the battle is in RISC-based mobile SoC since 2011
>area where samsung, apple, and qualcomm dominate, and intel struggles upon

Mmm

If it's cheap and can deviler i5 2500k levels of performance then I'll have no reason to use an intel cpu until they come up with something that's actually better and not some meme 1% improvement

>giving a shit about mobile at all

Yea, battle to catch-up with x86.

Intel really does struggle with that due to the complexities in their x86 implementations.

The benefit they have is that x86 is the defacto PC standard. Even if they keep being shit, they have the benefit of being what everything has been designed for.

If ARM or whatever RISC type chips you want to mention are going to take over, it's going to take a really long time.

>not giving shit about mobile
>failing to see how mobile is eating into intel's and amd's profit margins and market share a couple of years now
>the server market, that are intel and amd's major clients, are moving onto low-power ARM from x86

remember surface? the one with risk-socs? failed hard and forgotten. as long as nobody can produce a competent risc desktop replacement = something you can build software on without feeling like a retard x86 will be around and your statement is the same as saying facebook games will overtake the gaming market because they have volume of consumers

>the server market
lmao

see again

did kevin sorbo every failed on creating any cpu/gpu?

NO never did

the fact that intel is already sampling new cpus is enough indication that ryzen is going to be good shit

Saw. Replied.

The assertion that 90% of launches were a fail is bullshit. AMD were absolutely competitive before the P4 days at which point they got out marketed and outplayed by Intel.

I am still not hyping this. I'm just waiting to see. I'm just saying that the assertion that it's going to be a failure because "my hypes" is fucking moronic.

I'll just wait and see.

>Replied.
You just repeated your previous shit about this one miracle guy being able to turn AMD around by himself.

based pussy destroyer

>desktop replacement

Everyone's using their phones and tablets for basically anything right now. Compared to power users, normies will only use a computer for social media, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, and do basic productivity, which a phone or tablet can sufficiently provide.

Give a normie a tablet or a phone, and they won't ask for a traditional desktop. Power users are few compared to the normie market, which sadly dominate the consumer computing market.

Reading. It's hard.

I didn't even say he was going to turn it around, merely that that was the only reason it was interesting.

The point I was making was that his releases to date have been the 10% (in reality more like 30%) worth using. Could well pull something out, may not. Either way, worth waiting to see.

>1. Retards forget that making CPUs isn't a feelgood sports movie where the underdog comes back in the end. It's about science and enginering and if your RND budget is 1/10th then you're not going to compete in all areas.
True. The only time AMD were really beating Intel was when Intel were trying to polish the turd that was the Pentium 4.
K6 and the first Athlons were mostly more bang for your buck CPUs.
>2. The same people have hyped it up well beyond realistic goals. They yet again think that it's going to BTFO intel and make AMD market leader overnight
Also true. People want it to be real so hard and they'll be disappointed yet again. Intel and Nvidia will continue to dominate the high end.
Still, I can't wait to replace my FX6300, and I'm hoping for a good bang for the buck 4C/8T CPU. Fuck Intel I'm not paying a ton of money for a fucking dual core CPU in 2017.

disappoint is only possible if you're hyped, ie are not a true Sup Forumsent but a Sup Forumsag.

sure, P4 made K8 great, but K7 was han honest all out win, even though it was not much better than P3.

the last can certainly happen again. ryzen doesnt need to beat current intel, it just needs to match it again, as done with K7. all the signs point to that going to happen, which is great. ofc, benchmarks will provide proof of one or the other.

>There's a 90% chance Zen will be the same as always

Just like the chance that this post wouldn't have dubbs

>1 guy is the difference between an architecture being interesting or not
see

If no one had proof that they self destructed would they still have competition?

>just no
is just not an argument

I'm not saying "just no". I keep repeating the same shit because that's what you're doing

>computer stops working completely
>no evidence ("proof" is wrong)
nigga wat?

>It never struck you that they've stalled because they have no competition, not because they've hit a wall?
Their 10nm roadmap got delayed THREE times now, so they're totally holding back until AMD catches up :^)

>Everyone's using their phones and tablets for basically anything right now. Compared to power users, normies will only use a computer for social media, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, and do basic productivity, which a phone or tablet can sufficiently provide.
That may change as VR and AI begin to really ramp up and produce content that consumers will salivate over. You're not going to be able to have a holodeck or strong artificial intelligence agent with a shitty mobile cpu.

AMD was definitely competitive in the P4 days. AMD only really have had trouble with the K10 family. They did the same mistake as Intel did with the P4, they made the pipeline too long, trying to make really high frequency chips. I bet they learned the same lessons as Intel from that.

>every project keller has worked on is a success but it doesn't matter because I say so

Getting hyped because of this reason isn't that logical but it's good news regardless of your preemptive damage control.

Your arguments are invalid because of Keller. AMD will wreck Intel so hard that they will go bankrupt and finally AMD will buy Intel.

Why would anyone want AMD to buy Intel?

1. AMD will not get the performance crown, they hope to give a real budget option, something like 75%~90% of the performance at 60%~80% of the price.
2. Yes the r&d budget of intel is huge but they also started to jew since the i7-2600K era, meaning with every gen you dont get 10% performance you get 2% with steadily increases in price.
3. I dont really know why you fagots love the idea of intel dictating prices and shit, it is baffling to see how much you want to get jewed over and over again...

>AMD will wreck Intel so hard that they will go bankrupt and finally AMD will buy Intel.
Yeah, right after the modern day Joan-of-Arc Sarah Silverman leads the military coup overthrowing Trump.

For every previous AMD disappointment, we got benchmarks a few months before release that showed how bad they really are.

Zen only got benchmarks so far that shows that it is actually good.

And even so, it was already delayed about a year, so it's not all roses.

>it was already delayed about a year
What the fuck, no.
The earliest that was ever officially claimed was "limited availability by the end of 2016".
Limited as in samples available to OEMs and other partners, which was actually somewhat correct.

>AMD was definitely competitive in the P4 days.
If there ever was an understatement, this is it.

Intel shit got wrecked so bad after that nobody remembers the ViiV and the netburst

>i5-7600k (or whatever) competitor at $200

except it will be at least 10% slower with 2x cores, and overclocking may be really slim vs 4.6-5ghz on i5 7600k.

>IPC shown to be on average almost on par with Intel
>B-B-B-B-B-BUUUT MOOOM IT WILL BE SLOWER WITH TWICE THE COOOOOORES!!!!!

>>IPC shown to be on average almost on par with Intel
>ALMOST ON PAR WITH INTEL
>ALMOST ON PAR
>ALMOST

Rumors point to 700$ MSRP for the top one. AMDfags might deny it but it's DOA for sure as even if it sells , intel is just going to drop skylake X , especially considering AMDfags were expecting 500 or less for the top one, which makes it out of reach for all the dreaming idiots who expected anything less than 700-750. It will most likely sell , but I wonder if it will generate lack of trust for future releases. Though if you ask me, I won't be buying it and I believe you also shouldn't.

I sometimes think that Intel is purposely slowing down to let AMD catch up otherwise Intel will be the only desktop CPU maker and get slammed for being a monopoly

They don't need to have a powerful system. The end goal is to stream all of that VR shit to the consumer.

The fuck are you on about?
>a fucking midrange GPU for 1/3 the price you can crossfire together for double the performance
>is now the same as a CPU
There are people pathetically grasping at straws, and then there are you.

>Rumors point to 700$ MSRP for the top one. AMDfags might deny it
Well yea, its a rumor that has no basis, who would believe it?

still competitive with phenom ii.

>>a fucking midrange GPU for 1/3 the price you can crossfire together for double the performance

only in single game it has 100% scaling, in 99.99% of games it has barely 60-70% scaling

>is now the same as a CPU

Amd has bad track of exaggering and just lying to customers - rx 480 bullshit crossfire 100% scaling, "Plentiful supplies of AMD Radeon RX 480 cards are reported" and many more with bulldozer/phenom/athlon. So it may be the same case for zen. IPC improvement may be just bunch of made up lies. But you are too naive to spot that.

I don't think you realize how much bandwidth that shit is going to use.

The demented people such as yourself that come forward screeching and and calling everyone retards, are the grand retards yourselves. Fool.

CPUs are basically the same thing for a LONG time now, only basically incremented and optimized.

The x86 architecture is very old as are many instruction sets, and they're still here, only improved.

If you think that the cpus of some generations ago have nothing to do the ones now, that is, its a entirely new game, you are the drooling retard here, talking about shit you know nothing about with a sense of self righteousness. You are beyond saving.

Kill yourself.

>only in single game it has 100% scaling, in 99.99% of games it has barely 60-70% scaling
Depends, obviously. That should be clear to everyone using two GPUs, be it SLI or CF.

>Amd has bad track of exaggering and just lying to customers - rx 480 bullshit crossfire 100% scaling
Exaggerating yes, I give you that. Not that this is this AMD exclusive, though.
I can't really remember a single instance where they flat out lied about the performance.

>Plentiful supplies of AMD Radeon RX 480
They actually had a lot better availability than most of their previous launches.

>bulldozer
They showed benchmarks of programs the architecture was good at. Again, nothing wrong.
I can't remember their power consumption claims and whether they were correct or not.

>phenom
The TLB bug is the only thing that comes to mind with Phenom. That's neither really lying nor exaggerating.

>athlon
Can't really remember any false claims, assuming you mean the original Athlon.

>vr
>ai
All memes. You're a meme master.

it's going to be like said, AMD retail price will be lower than Intel but you won't be able to find it for that price

I'm sitting on a shitty old i5 4670 and I will be upgrading this year. I would love to live in a world where I though AMD was not going to shit the bend and I could finally buy a good cpu from them for a fraction of what intel is asking.
I live in the real world however and I know by the end of the year I'll probably have a i5 7600k

>in 99.99% of games it has barely 60-70% scaling

You're being too generous. There are many games that don't support SLI/Crossfire at all, or have much worse scaling than that.
Multi-GPU support among developers is terrible and getting worse.

Because the outside is cold so kids stay indoor playing with PC.

Or a more serious note, they have less red tape. People are more open to talk about piracy and hacking.

nvm the above post, wrong tab.

amd is going to fuck up with the prices being too expensive

screencap this

>user doesn't follow CanardPC's twitter

Always bet on Keller.

wrong thread dipshit

>Its a "butthurt fanboy concern trolls and tries to spread FUD" thread
Oh boy, haven't seen plenty of those before.

The top end 8c/16t Ryzen SKUs performs comparably to the i7 6900k.
Deal with it.

While I agree to a point (performance for example) there have been significant changes regarding power saving and energy use in general. Also other baked in features like intel management stuff. Alot of new stuff. Better use of hardware crypto junk and cache configurations.
To say it's a whole new game isn't entirely correct, but to deny it also shows your ignorance. You are probably just a deaktop user that doesn't care about those features and that's fine, But age of the instruction set (which has been modified, and improved upon quite a bit over its existence)doesn't mean the game hasn't changed.

has he designed something bad yet?

the only indication we ever had was it could have come mid 2016 based on tap out times and jims departure, on something amd said.

No.

that chart was made with 87% scaling,

Considering my firsthand experience with how broken Intel is as an organization (moar meetings!) I would not be surprised if a company with 1/10th the resources could build a competitive product.

He looks like he could be Kevin Sorbo's fat nerdy brother

Seriously, Intel, stop it. Your bullshit shilling is going to drive people away. Intel's shit is just rehashes and has been for YEARS now. Kaby Lake's big new feature is that it can authorize media for you. The last couple rehashes they had before that offered what, a 1% performance increase over their previous efforts. They're using consumers to subsidize lower-powered server chips.

Intel is also botnet as fuck.

This. Intel abandoned the P4 architecture and went back to rehashing the P3. Today's Intels are just steroidally-enhanced P3s.

They are literally working with a 20 year old CPU core at this point.

>IPC
The important thing will be the spec benchmarks. As Intel shills get more and more desperate, expect them to avoid talking about overall performance and just focus on one bullet point.

GET

Same year the next Duke Nukem comes out.

>it's going to take a really long time
Not true, when Apple releases their first ARM laptop it will be a done deal and within a year or two Intel will be relegated to server room tasks and Windows gaymen.