/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a Kaby Lake system

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B150/B250 or H110 mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/au/Monitors/VG248QE/
nzxt.com/products/s340-white
pcpartpicker.com/list/hx26m8
it.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tactic/saved/N2QYcf
amazon.com/Switch-Switcher-Multi-Splitter-Output/dp/B00G1VX8ME
pcgamer.com/amd-confirms-ryzen-and-vega-launch-windows/
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zchnbv
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T3500-Hexa-Six-6-Core-XEON-W3690-3-47GHz-12GB-500G-NVS295-Pro-F1T-/391693859911?hash=item5b32c5fc47:g:jO4AAOSw7XZXh9-3
pcpartpicker.com/list/2gMM6X
pcpartpicker.com/list/K4KssJ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB

Isn't the RX460 a better value than the 1050 for 1080p games?

nyet

>1080p
2007 called.

The XFX RX 460 costs €125 while the 1050 costs €153 where I live, that's 5 Euro per extra frame

r8/h8

the GTX1080 that can't even run GTA V in the country with ultra grass at a solid 100+ FPS @ 1080p called

>video game console assembly general

Come again?

Okay, call them back and ask why I would need to run LoL, CSGO and Overwatch at more than 1080p

Before anyone jumps saying I won't get much of a performance boost for what I'm paying I don't care. I've been itching to build a new system for a long while now and I thought I'd do it now so I can have DDR4, M.2 and such

Also when I bought my RAM the LED kit was cheaper than LPX

>downgrading or at best sidegrading just because you want to spend money
Alright, you can do what you want but it's still dumb as fuck m8.

>downgrading or at best sidegrading

I don't get how since Ryzen has been shown to perform on par with Skylake and Kaby Lake and the RX 480 outperforms the GTX 780

>has been shown to perform
No, marketing has suggested that it does. Nothing is really known until it's in the hands of people who aren't paid by AMD.
>but muh canardpc
Unless you can prove they don't have a marketing contract with AMD their "leaks" aren't worth shit. This exact same pre release hype and benchmark "leaks" happened with bulldozer and we all know how that turned out.

asus.com/au/Monitors/VG248QE/

What is the 2560 x 1440 equivalent of this?

I'm getting the same case, and wondering how I should do the fans. I wanted to 140mm in the front for intake, leaving the 120 for exhaust, but the top is exposed so I was wondering what 140s to put up there, if it's even worth it..

It's not worth it. Your system is still very good, maybe change the GPU if you feel like you need it but other than that wait 1-2 more years.

Guys

I'm building my first PC after ten years. I'm not gaming, I just want to have a PC at home that I can use as a server and to run scripts. It should be cheap, like

H60 AIO is trash, mobo is overpriced gaming trash, why not Toshiba P300 and Corsair keyboards are mediocore at best.

>I won't get much of a performance boost

There's a good chance you'll actually get worse performance unless your plan is to wait for games that can utilize 16 threads (good luck with that).
Replacing a 4790k in a gaming machine right now is basically throwing money down the drain. If you desperately want to spend money on memes, then buy a better GPU; it's still a retarded way to spend money but you'll actually see a noticeable performance boost there.

I'm looking for an either mid-tower or mATX case for the new mobo/processor. Gonna be either 7600K or 7700K, likely not gonna bother with overclocking, needs to fit 28cm x 14cm GTX 1070 in it. Priority on silence though with fair airflow for gaming. White or metallic color preferred over black. What are my options?

NZXT S340

nzxt.com/products/s340-white

>i won't OC
>i buy a K CPU
Nigger please..

They are still better performance by a long shot.

Cool. Looks pretty good too. Where the hell is the intake though? Bottom and top of the front panel?

I said it's unlikely. Having to pay $20 more for the possibility isn't too bad.

Thoughts on this budget/mid mini ITX build?
Looking to get good price/performance ratio.

>Bottom and top of the front panel?

Yes. The clearance is pretty huge, no worries. I have one in black.
It's a steal for the money if you don't need an optical drive.

You both forget that OC requires Z270 which costs twice as much as B250 therefore renders K CPUs completely cost in effective if not OCd.
Also requires better PSU and HSF.

Bulldozer never ever had pre-release benchmarks showing that it was on par with Intel (same core/thread amount).

Bulldozer was almost always benchmarked as 8 core vs 4 core Intel and in heavily multithreaded workloads.

>4.2 vs 4.5 GHz turbo

Pic related.
Also if you're looking for gayming performance, frequency has pretty much no impact nowadays.

Also what said, if you want to have that "option", you will have to spend a lot more money than just the CPU.

Fair enough. I like the option for OCing to be there especially if the chassis has enough room for proper airflow, but I guess it's worth looking at how much money you could save by going, say, i5 7600 and B250 instead of the K version and Z270.

I'm generally a person who likes small and minimalism, but next pc I want to build will be something like that.

Big huge case, but zero sata storage drives or disc drives, strictly M.2 storage, and I'll buy a modular PSU so that I can unplug all of the unused SATA power cables that I will not be using. The machine will be huge and empty on the inside, just things directly connected to the motherboard.

Why? I like having all that free open space. The first computer I ever built was a fucking mess of cables. This was during an era where we used those wide IDE cables and everything was a fucking mess. Upgrading the ram was a huge hassle, you had to weave your way through cables like it was an amazon jungle.

pcpartpicker.com/list/hx26m8

build completed. need a better psu and was going to replace hdd

any suggestions?

pay no mind to current storage. they are there for setup and testing.

could somebody build the cheapest fully functional pc possible on pcpartpicker with a G4560 as its cpu?

Any opinions on this combination?
Not hardcore vidya, but important
Mainly PS, Adobe AE, Premiere, video editing, etc.

Fuck off. Just fucking kys.

>Falling for the Titan meme.

Two GPU's in one card is always considered SLI.
Most clocking programs or games support SLI properly.
Card is most likely to burn out if the fan is not set manually to maximum on full load.
SLI has worse frame timing due to having two GPU's try to weave though frames for your monitor.
Did I meantion Titan series was one card two GPU SLI?

1080 runs cooler and has better no load.

Why what the fuck it's the first time I come here
Is this a meme for you?

>DDR3

Might as well kill yourself now.

You can't have done even those most basic research to think that garbage is acceptable in 2017.

>buying into the am3 platform now
holy shit, what are you doing? go intel or wait for ryzen.

yeah I already corrected that one
But what about the other things? I really can't get more info on those peices I've been a bunch of days looking to upgrade my pc with a really tight budget, I simply don't know much about hardware

I don't want to spend more than 1k so I'm getting garbage anyway

Will look

You are going to not use your WD than go for the SSD replacement. Don't go for the SATA 2tb HDD as the boot drive, or it would just take almost 3 times as long to run. WD external drives work the same or perhaps better because of USB 3.0.

>I've been a bunch of days looking to upgrade my pc with a really tight budget

The best option is to wait. I bought a Titan Z (700 series and current best) before the 1080 came out, and Titans were just two GPU's in one card for almost twice as much but less overall performance in FPS timing.

>frequency has pretty much no impact nowadays

Said nobody ever.

Slower boot time and data transfer than my 2005 Windows Vista Fujitsu .

Jokes and you, literally nothing in 2007 was in 1080p but in 1080i.

What's the best Z77 board that I can use to test-bench Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs? Price isn't a factor, but overclocking headroom is.

>he thinks CPU OC has a tangible impact on performance in games

Taking a 6700/7700k from stock clocks to 4.6-4.8 GHz will grant you an extra 1-2 FPS at best in the vast majority of modern games.
Face it, CPU overclocking for gaming is a meme if you have one less than 5 years old.

>I don't want to spend more than 1k so I'm getting garbage anyway
well you were going to overspend on garbage, you can get brand new and updated hardware for the same or less.

in the image is a build for you,I included the os incase you don't pirate or use linux. it packs some serious quality but there are many ways to bring the price down well under 1k.

>RX 480 outperforms the GTX 780

Yeah because the 780 was like 3-4 years ago.

>Corsair keyboards are mediocore at best.

I have 4 mechanical keyboards, even an original model M, and the Corsair isn't mediocre. A bit overpriced but not "mediocre at best".

And likewise, what's the best 990FX board for overclocking all AM3/+ CPUs?

Well, that's actually very helpful
Thank you

Also thank you too for the advice

it.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tactic/saved/N2QYcf
This is my build.
Want to change case and need a new cooler since the Seidon shat the bed and i'm using the stock amd fan, Any recommendations for case and cooler?
I really love the Corsair C70 and i've heard Noctua's air coolers are really powerful.
Also fans?

is it possible to do this with a hdmi switch? I only want to use screen at a time.

>He need a full tower

for the AIO, Corsair H100i v2 or Corsair H60 as corsair has a pretty good track record in reliable aio's. Fractal design is a really good company to go to for watercooling support in cases, so Define R5 or Define C depending on your needs and how crazy you're going.

literally not a single reason to not buy the 480

i kinda don't want to go Watercooling again after the seidon. I believe a 8350 can melt everything with liquid in two years. That i way this time is air.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Fractal cases are pretty good looking, i worry about space and cable management there.

Yes. There are two kinds of switches. multiple inputs and multiple outputs.

amazon.com/Switch-Switcher-Multi-Splitter-Output/dp/B00G1VX8ME

alright, then phanteks has some options like the Eclipse P400 S and Enthoo Pro M as they have really easy cable management, as for air, go with the Cryorig H7.

>I only want to use screen at a time.
One screen at a time or both screens at a time?
There are certain switches that have one input and two output, but depending on the model they are either in mirrored display mode or selective display mode (one output only). If you want two different outputs to two displays, you're going to need to use multiple VGA/DVI/HDMi/DP ports, since your computer will only recognize a single display output with a switch.

I had similar feelings, but instead of wasting money I built a dedicated Lubuntu Samba server. It is essentially a NAS, but with a few more features. It has 5TB, 2x HGST 2TB Ultra star and a 1 TB WD green, low power processor and 8gb RAM.
It is nice because now my main machine has only SSDs in it, the cable routing, airflow and autism aesthetics are all better.

The only thing you need upgrading is maybe the GPU, and PSU sleeves can be nice.

no, I literally mean one display at a time.
long story short, I have a tv and a wacom cintiq, both use hdmi, and I have access to only one hdmi port on my gpu. I don't want to switch the cable constantly from tv to cintiq, I'd rather just press a button to switch the display from tv to cintiq.

thanks user. do they all need their own ac adapter though or are there that don't need power?

They all need an external power source. Even the passive switches like the one you're describing.

>one poorly cooled 1080 trying to pull three 4k displays

The keks never stop.

it can't be helped then. thanks user.

My new MSI RX 480 gaming x is fucking loud at load, all the reviews praised it as being the most silent card, but after hitting some specific temp it goes like a fucking jet, I can feel it change when I turn off a game and it starts cooling down
Any ideas if my fans are fucked or am I expecting too much ? Even got a sound dampening case and it's fucking distracting

Did you change the fan profile at all? I bet it's running on performance mode and putting the fans at 75% RPM at temperatures above 40 degrees.

Sup Forums can anyone tell me a good place to buy cheap OEM CD-keys that won't deactivate after a few months?

Why not just spend the money on a 1080ti/Vega card instead of blowing it all on a sidegrade?

Or a TB SSD

Vega won't come out until October.

Vega is confirmed Q2 m8
pcgamer.com/amd-confirms-ryzen-and-vega-launch-windows/

And if it's a competitive card, expect 1080ti shortly after

The PC I'm currently using is the first time I built one from scratch, in Jan 2016.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zchnbv

Alongside that, I also have two other hard drives from the last PC, one 500gb, and one 250gb. I also bought an Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 27 inch Monitor, 2560x1440, USB 3.0, NVIDIA 3D, 144Hz, 1ms response time.

Looking for a budget build under $500? Check out the precision workstations on Ebay. Good 6 core xeons with 12-16gb of RAM. Throw a 1060 and ssd in one of these and you are good to go. Nothing will compare for the $500 price tag.

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T3500-Hexa-Six-6-Core-XEON-W3690-3-47GHz-12GB-500G-NVS295-Pro-F1T-/391693859911?hash=item5b32c5fc47:g:jO4AAOSw7XZXh9-3

How did you make the decision on the 980, vs waiting?

Waiting for the 1080?

Once the 1080 came out, I kind of wish I had got it, but the current PC I had, was shit, and I needed to upgrade, at least.

No, I don't think so, also it hits a little bit over 60C

Its not a bad gpu by any means. And i know how it feels to have a shit machine and just have to replace it

Also if you use a custom profile, could you give some tips on temp/rpm% ?

Currently on:
>Phenom ll X4 940
>GTX 660 Ti
Planned upgrade if Ryzen is too expensive:
>Pentium G4560
>RX470

Would these be worthwhile upgrades? I feel like the Phenom is a huge bottleneck. I'd maybe keep the 660 Ti for my pre 2015 gaming purposes.

What do you Sup Forumsuys think about this build?pcpartpicker.com/list/2gMM6X
I will be using it for recent gaymes also streaming league of fags

If you will upgrade your GPU, might as well go RX480 8GB or wait with 660 Ti until mid tier VEGA hits
Pentium is solid if you're budget strapped, the only other sane choice is like 4x the price

Will a 1070 / 1080 be bottle necked by a I5-6600k? Or should I get an I7? Currently have an I5 6600k and a 1060 3gb version and was think about upgrading to either a 1070 or 1080 when I get my tax refund.

that 480 price is wrong

>will a 2016 flagship GPU be bottlenecked by a 2015 flagship CPU

Reddit memes like CPU bottlenecking need to die already.
For the umpteenth time, there is NO chance of a CPU bottleneck with any GPU if you have literally any i5/i7 newer than gen 2.

>5960x
>GTX 1080

>1080p 60Hz screen

Fuck you

Question, how stupid would it be to build a new system with Ryzen and Vega around the corner?

Very.
At least wait what they bring to the table.
Worst case, Intel and nvidia lower their prices.

bump pls I don't want to go to leddit

quick question,
my mobo has only those fan headers:
1 x CPU fan header
2 x system fan headers
1 x power fan header
now if i wanted to add more fans with a new cause without getting a dedicated fan controller, what would i have to do?

>i5
>streaming
>8GB RAM
>streaming
pcpartpicker.com/list/K4KssJ

3-pin-4-pin adapter. Plug right to your PSU. Many fans come with the adapter. Usually the cable that goes to hard drives has some extra 4-pin slots for example.

There are splitters

Radeon settings shows RX 480 memory clock at 2000MHz, is this normal ? Shouldn't it be 8000 ?

>because small cases are cheaper
fucking gay meme desu

>pcpartpicker.com/list/K4KssJ
>1500 damn dollars
I guess for the end of the year maybe feels bad to be eastern europoor